Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Reader's Choice: Finalist Voting Opens

12345679»

Comments

• dalhar35dalhar35 Member Posts: 1

Started WOW and EQ2 at the same time and these were the first MMO's I had played.  1 Year and a half later I am still playing EQ2 and dropped WOW after a month.

I don't see any reason why anyone would pick WOW over EQ2.  Lack of housing-guild bank-decent crafting sysytem-cartoon graphics.....

To me-EQ2 has it hands down over WOW.  Being my first MMO's I don't understand why WOW has so many more players.  Did SOE's screwup in SWG really make that many people pissed off?  Of course I like more of a challenge and am 40 years old-so maybe the fun parts of WOW wore off more quickly for me.  The cartoon graphics got old fast-I get enough of them watching Dora the Explorer with the kids.

From the sounds of it I would probably love EVE.  Been kinda waiting to see what Vanguard is like-but maybe time to give EVE a spin from the sounds of it.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by seePyou

Originally posted by coffee

Originally posted by killkool

Eve for the win, and not that children game WOW, where can be lvl 40 in two days.

LOL if your gona dis the biggest MMO in history atleast tell the truth, 40 in 2 days, show me proof (without cheating, but u can use a bot if u like) and ill give you £1000 and in not joking.

I know you will not pay, but I'd just like to shut you up...

What will follow is a screencap from the video taken by Joana. If you dont know who Joana is, he is a player that goes in new WoW servers and gets 60 first. His goal is to see how quick he can do it. His best time is 4d 20h. He has frapped his entire gameplay and is currently selling a guide for leveling 1-60. Those who buy the guide also get access to the videos. I bought the guide.

In the following image you can see him hitting lvl40 in 1d 22h 6m 57sec.

Joana hits 40

Joana Hits 40

You DO realize that when you type /played it means the total amount played, not the amount of time the characters exists, right?

In reality, it took him 46 hours. and thats just to level 40, level 60 is a diffrent story. 2 days? No way.
  • amberglowamberglow Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Sorry to say that i have not been posting in the forums; but always lurking and reading up reviews on whats the latest mmorpg games.  I started with DAoC for 2 years, then moved on to EVE for 1 year, then left EVE for WoW for 9months, and now back to EVE and have been playing EVE and now with 2 accounts on EVE even.

Firstly, I am not a PVP player, i suck at PVP; hence I do most in EVE is PVE. From building stuff to running missions, etc.  Comparing the WoW experince, DAoC; both are the same.  Comparing WoW and EVE in PVE is a world of difference.   I am not limited to my racial profession as in WoW; and can only do a dungeon one way.  In EVE i can do it in a variety of ways; from using the fastest frigate to the slowest battleship; from using Guns, lasers, missiles, or drones.

What's more there's no abuse of the PVE ecosystem (i.e. Power leveling) as in most other mmorpgs.  And the loss in EVE is more real than WoW;  I could loose my ship that cost me an entire fortune; but not WoW or DAoC; where i die respawn, repair and repeat.

In any case, at least the expansions in EVE is free; an the story keeps on moving.  The next big PVE in EVE will be WAR between factions whereby whether you like it or not;  it  going to be more interesting.

Voting is easy.  I vote where my money goes.  If I, a PVE player, gets 2 accounts on EVE Online. What does that say?  Unfortunately for this year's MMORPG awards we did not see any good games better than EVE.  So I wont be surprise if EVE wins.

My 2cents.

Amberglow
  • seePyouseePyou Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by GameloadingYou DO realize that when you type /played it means the total amount played, not the amount of time the characters exists, right?

In reality, it took him 46 hours. and thats just to level 40, level 60 is a diffrent story. 2 days? No way.
      46h = 1d 22h...

so what's your point?

------------Sig------------
    http://www.seepyou.net/blog

• gerbalblastegerbalblaste Member Posts: 1
    my cheer for EVE

Howsabouts we hear the results.
  • F'larF'lar Member Posts: 60
    Yea when will they announce the winners?
  • MalthrosMalthros Member Posts: 239
    Polls are closed, and EVE swept its categories.

I expect the people who cannot grasp the idea of 'reader's choice' to come in here bitching shortly.

Also, coffee, how does that humble pie taste?

WoW plays the same goddamn way Diablo 2 doe:

XP XP XP

GRIND GRIND GRIND

ITEM DROPPED!!!

NINJA LOOT!!!

*CLICK*

*CLICK*

*CLICK*

*CLICK*

*CLICK*

*CLICK*

*CLICK*

• MedronMedron Member Posts: 2
    Well...I didn't vote here...I've been around for a while though and actually have a lot of games on my "Oh Shiney" list here.

I see some people screaming about Eve players coming in and voting and saying we should limit voting to people who log in 30 times each month or more.  That means limit voting to people who come here EVERY DAY no matter what.

That's nuts.  I'm a fantatic player of BattleTech, and am a member of three different major BattleTech forums.  But I don't go to all three of them EVERY SINGLE DAY.  I do them every other day or sometimes once every three days.  By the definition of some here, that would make me not a good enough member to be trusted to vote.  I'm sorry, but that just makes no sense to me.  I can see limiting voting to people that have been here over a month, but limiting it only to people who are active on the forums is far too limiting.  I don't know if this is my first time on the board or not, but I definitely don't have many posts here.  I've lurked though, and I've read up on a lot of "oh shiney!" games here.

Ah well.

On to the votes here.

Eve and WoW.

Wow...most of the awards won by games that are years old.  Games that have built up player bases.

Now let me note my experience in MMOs.  The one and only original Evercrack, Earth and Beyond, WoW, Eve, and a bunch of other inconsequencials.

What do I play right now?  EVE.

Do I PVP in it?  No.

I PVE.  I avoid PVP like the plague.  Of course I've lately started doing more trading where I buy stuff low in one place and move it elsewhere to sell it high.  So that is that considered PVP or PVE?  *shrugs*  I don't know.  But I've spent a lot of time  doing PVE in my time in EVE and it is a LOT more interesting than the PVE in WoW.  I mean LOTS more interesting.  Head and shoulders above it.

I love EVE PVE.  WoW PVE bored me so much I quit the game.

But, as I noted I didn't get a chance to vote.  Didn't find about this going on until too late to vote.  Ah well.  I'll live.

Now back to lurking and skill training and all the other stuff I do while I'm living.  :-)

Medron Pryde - a Proud Browncoat

"If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Mal - Firefly

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326
    One point and one point only:

2006 sucked as MMO year.
  • kingnatkingnat Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Chidori30  
    I actualy joined this site today mainly beacuse of a post to another forum about the readers choice awards.  When I looked and saw the 2 contenders and the fact that they appear to be even in all respects I kinda though that some "new blood" would help this process.  The big glaring things were things like the graphics ratings etc.  EVE online is a nice game for many things (ie the economy and the business end etc) but one thing it does not do well in is graphics.  Yes they are nice, but they certainly aren't original or even imaginative.  I was very surprised to see them in the best graphics category.  Anyhow this is obviously isn't honest voting or the people who play eve have never played any other games and so have no comparison (which I find hard to believe hehe) . 
    Anyhow so now I come to vote as well to help remove games from categories they have no bussiness being in. (I also hate WoW hehe but I think they do good in the realm of graphics)  It looks to me like a lot of people are just blindely voting cause they want their game to win cause its fun and they are not taking into account its shortcomings
    anyhow bye
    The graphics are old it is true, for both Eve and WoW, but one thing that they both have in spades is art direction. (Something which I've always found to be lacking in the ultra high polygon Everquest II despite it's technically better graphics - note; personal opinion does not make it a fact, so anyone wanting to jump on that for flamage should hold their horses for later in my post)

WoW has this vibrant life to it, and the cartoon style art direction means that a lower poly-count can be employed where others would have struggled to balance the needs of the visual impact and the average users computing horsepower. (It also frees up a lot of resources for graphical effects such as the weather systems, lighting effects, and the more subtle bump and specualr maps).

Eve goes in a similar direction although at the moment it's largely due to the length of time since the last graphics overhaul; whever they upgrade the graphics it goes to the cutting edge end of the scale, albeit with a large amount of performance scaling.

Where WoW has vibrancy and the visual look of life, Eve has stillness and a serene visual style.

Which set of graphics has better technical specs? I believe that currently it is WoW.

Choosing which one has a better visual style is (as always) a question of personal preference; which movie looks better? Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Oddessey, or Paul Anderson's Event Horizon?

Both have vastly different visual styles despite a similar setting, but for my money I'll plonk with Kubrick's vision.

Understandably, many people would prefer the visual stylings of Event Horizon, and really; what's not to love about it? It all comes down to whether or not people are more enamoured with the slow serene style of 2001: A Space Oddessey, or the tense and frantic style of Event Horizon.

Neither of them would stand up to the technical brilliance of Revenge of the Sith if technical accomplishment was all we were judging the visuals on, although a lot of people (I suspect) probably prefer the graphics-gasm of the Ep III space battle. (I don't know why; the Endor Space battle was far superior)

Anyway, back on topic.

So just as two films which are not as technically accomplished as Ep III can have a better visual style (not to mention plot, direction, and performances from their respective world class casts - flames ahoy) WoW and Eve online can come up trumps over countless games whose main claim to fame on the visuals front is that they have higher polygon counts, and more effects.

Personally, I can't wait for some of the forthcoming games like Voyage Century, Vanguard, Age of Conan and Pirates of the Burning Sea to come along and inject some new blood into the art direction race, because you're right; it's a two horse event, and competition is always good.
  • DarshDarsh Member Posts: 1
    to all those who say PvE sucks in EVE you have clearly done a L4 mission, there not easy and theres story to go with them. so if you havent done lots of missions or done ratting in 0.0 you cant make a fair assement

• SkitBraSkitBra Member Posts: 11
    as for eve not having good graphics?

it is very nice and in a month or 2 they will release their dx10 client for vista and their totally upgraded graphics engine.

its very nice and has been at the forefront for a long time and will continue to be at the top in the future also.

/SkitBra