Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Reader's Choice: Finalist Voting Opens

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by PB&J
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth
    I didn’t know this site was exclusive to only MMORPG readers. I guess the MMO that MMORPG published is "Forum wars", because i do believe everyone else that reads this site...does play an MMO, that MMORPG didn’t make...

I’m really confused. Becouse i thought MMO player were MMORPG.coms community.

Point taken. To bad you missed mine.

I got yours, but i think your wrong, EVE is, and has been #1 here for a long time.... The people have spoken.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

I would like to join with others in saying: Thank you for the "None of the Above" trash can option! I was dreading getting to the favorite game released this year question because it was a very, very pathetic year for MMOs.

I can honestly say I haven't spent a single dollar on an MMO released within 2006. If 2007 is this bad I will start a website dedicated to making fun of game developers! image The scene has gotten so bad that I bought an XBox 360 just so I could play Gears of War (I hate consoles. Not dislike, hate.). hehe

I also played Battlefield 2 all summer, even though EA is a sorry excuse for a developer and they never fix bugs, etc. Fix bugs? Not EA! They will release 5 expansions/booster packs that add new bugs to go with the current ones instead!

I was one of the pissed off WoW players early in 2006, I cancelled and thought I might never look back. After having nothing to play all summer (as far as MMOs went), I was finally honest with myself about two months ago: WoW is the best MMO to be released in the last two years. Don't get me wrong, I think that is pathetic but I am playing it again none the less. Do I want a game 10x better than WoW? You bet, but the industry somehow managed to make 2006 a big gap of a year for quality releases.

• PB&JPB&J Member Posts: 255

I didn’t know this site was exclusive to only MMORPG readers. I guess the MMO that MMORPG published is "Forum wars", because i do believe everyone else that reads this site...does play an MMO, that MMORPG didn’t make...

I got yours, but i think your wrong, EVE is, and has been #1 here for a long time.... The people have spoken.

What exactly about the PvE game is compelling in your eyes? That is all I was complaining about.

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

Originally posted by Lepidus

Originally posted by nthnaoun

Looks like voters weren't voting with objectivity like they should have on some of those. Readers choice rewards suck, because the readers can't be trusted to give an unbiased vote. This was more like a popularity contest than anything else.
    I mean common? EvE for best PvE? We all know EvE is a great game and has excellent PvP, but PvE? Popularity contest for sure. I hope others join me and stop voting for these stupid things, because we already have a popularity contest on the front page. MMORPG.COM staff needs to start acting like the adults and take control of these contests and vote for the MMORPG community in the world with objectivity.

We do Editorial Awards too, you know ;)

These are easy to do and fun for the community. They are a popularity contest, of course, but that's sort of the point.

Okay..

Well, when do those come out and will they be more publicized on this site than these community rigged awards?

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

What exactly about the PvE game is compelling in your eyes? That is all I was complaining about.

Nothing, i voted for Ryzom in that catagory.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531
    Why do people vote for Eve as having good PvE? It's the most boring,
    bland, uninspiring part of the game. It is THE PvP game in every aspect
    of it's design...

Crazy voters.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Looks like voters weren't voting with objectivity like they should have on some of those. Readers choice rewards suck, because the readers can't be trusted to give an unbiased vote. This was more like a popularity contest than anything else. I mean common? EvE for best PvE? We all know EvE is a great game and has excellent PvP, but PvE? Popularity contest for sure. I hope others join me and stop voting for these stupid things, because we already have a popularity contest on the front page. MMORPG.COM staff needs to start acting like the adults and take control of these contests and vote for the MMORPG community in the world with objectivity.
    We do Editorial Awards too, you know ;)

These are easy to do and fun for the community. They are a popularity contest, of course, but that's sort of the point.

Okay..

Well, when do those come out and will they be more publicized on this site than these community rigged awards?

Here are last years: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/368/2005MMORPGcomEditorial2005MMORPGcomEditorialAwards.html

They'll likely come out around Christmas. We moved the Reader's Choice up this year so as not to confuse the two (they came out roughly at the same time last year).

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Originally posted by thepatriot
    The None of the Above needs to be available on all the questions.  I mean some of us play something other than EVE and Warcraft.
    /agree
    Didn't vote in 5 of the 7 categories due to lack of this option....

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

Originally posted by KillerJimmy

I would like to join with others in saying: Thank you for the "None of the Above" trash can option! I was dreading getting to the favorite game released this year question because it was a very, very pathetic year for MMOs.
    I can honestly say I haven't spent a single dollar on an MMO released within 2006. If 2007 is this bad I will start a website dedicated to making fun of game developers! image The scene has gotten so bad that I bought an XBox 360 just so I could play Gears of War (I hate consoles. Not dislike, hate.). hehe
    I also played Battlefield 2 all summer, even though EA is a sorry excuse for a developer and they never fix bugs, etc. Fix bugs? Not EA! They will release 5 expansions/booster packs that add new bugs to go with the current ones instead!
    I was one of the pissed off WoW players early in 2006, I cancelled and thought I might never look back. After having nothing to play all summer (as far as MMOs went), I was finally honest with myself about two months ago: WoW is the best MMO to be released in the last two years. Don't get me wrong, I think that is pathetic but I am playing it again none the less. Do I want a game 10x better than WoW? You bet, but the industry somehow managed to make 2006 a big gap of a year for quality releases.

I haven't got to the point where I've actually bought a console yet, but I came THIS *holding thumb and index finger really REALLY close* close to buying an XBOX 360, simply because I was getting bored of EVE, EQ2 and WoW - the only MMOS I've found remotely interesting after DAoC "died" here in Europe.

Oh yeah, a big "thank you" to mmorpg.com for the trash can option image

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714
    i voted anything but wow image
  • Dark_ShikariDark_Shikari Member Posts: 18

EVE is one of the finalists for PvE? Give me a break. EVE's PvE is absoultey horrible. Your awards are being completely trashed by a link on the EVE forums telling their fans to come over here and vote.

Have you not played EVE since 2003?

Today, it has hundreds of complexes (more than WoW), an entire exploration system where you can find your own "raids", and four massive COSMOS constellations, plus hundreds of missions.

World of Warcraft has about, uh... 4 quests that are repeated game-wide with different names madlibbed into them?  Come on, even I've played to level 60 on World of Warcraft and you'd have to be a liar to say that the PvE in that game is remotely interesting.

People think World of Warcraft has good PvE because most MMORPGs have such bad PvE.  Quite honestly, most MMORPGs are pretty damn bad.  World of Warcraft, as bad as it is, is a breath of fresh air by comparison.  EVE Online, on the other hand, is assumed to have bad PvE for two reasons:

1.  The huge number of dumbasses who have only played the game for 5 minutes or only played it right after release, and thus from that experience they think the game has no PvE.

2.  People assume that no game can possibly be good at both PvE or PvP, and since EVE's PvP is utterly badass, they assume by logic that the PvE must therefore be miserable.

It aint perfect, and by my standards the PvE isn't that great, but compared to what's out there its damn good.  Better than World of Warcraft?  Certainly.  But that isn't saying much.

Here's an example quote from another forum:

I stayed with WoW only as long as I did for the pvp. For some
    reason my idea of the perfect PvE isn't spending 18 hours a day playing
    so I can fight through the same instance for 3 months so I can get
    better gear aaaaand go do the same thing at the next one!11 Huzzah for
    repetition!

• -Rodriguez--Rodriguez- Member Posts: 151

Yes, thats the problem... I didnt think that EVE had good PvE while voting for the nominations but it was still better then the other mmorpgs I played so far (UO and AO). I was pondering the PvE question for a maybe 5 minutes before deciding for EVE. I didnt want to vote for a game I never played.
    Now in the finals it was easy, the new Exploration system in EVE truly rocks and beats any "bring me 20 orc livers and the spline of a vicious mungo!" crap. :p

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166
    Amazing how fast people are to attack Eve for being nominated in PvE. Not that I think the PvE is particularly good, but it's at least as big a disaster that WoW was nominated for graphics and PvP.
  • MalthrosMalthros Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Naar
    Ok I'd like to be the first to say that your desicion to use open voting then only take the game that got 10% for finals voting made this the lamest Reader's Choice awards I've ever seen. Sure people complained last time that you bascially told them who they could vote for but you made it a hundred time worse. You might as well call it the EVE vs WoW awards...you seriously need to re think this entire process if this is the result.image

If a game doesn't even recieve 10% of the nominations, what makes you even think it's going to have a chance against something with 5-10x the % of nominations?

Do you think someone running for the US presidency has a chance in hell of winning with 3% of the population backing him, compared to two others with 40% or more of the population backing them? ;)

Having every mentioned game could've been done I'm sure, but why would they list a game if only a handful will vote for it?  Just as a simple, yet pointless show?
  • triptogntriptogn Member Posts: 18
    WoW doesnt even ping the hype meter here anymore, how can it be getting all of the votes when other games are higher rated here?

Originally posted by checkthis500
    I personally found it strange that EVE got voted in for best PvE.  The game is amazing, but PvE it just doesn't have.  Eh, oh well.  If they win out, I'll definitely laugh.
    Both WoW and EVE PVE get boring at the same rate, but atleast EVE has the benefit of it looking good.  Fighting a 'big boss' in an instanced dungeon for the X hundredth time for the chance to have a slightly better idea for when you camp a battleground, or run the complex again...

I'd rather rub my body with sandpaper.

The upside to EVE PVE is you can atleast do it and other things if need be, and you almost always have the risk of a hostile element coming along.  NPCing in hostile terriroty is more exciting, and it's only PVP when some blinky comes looking for a fight, but even if they don't show up, you get the fun of knowing you're playing in their backyard, which may become your backyard.image

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Another year ,another call to arms on EVE forums,possibly another clean sweep for eve.

I wonder if L2,FFX!,EQ2 or WoW done similar rallying calls would eve even make it to finals.I think not as this games all have at least 2+ the number of subs EVE has.

And please don't say eve getting all this finalist votes because its so super.

However i think i like this method of few finalist mostly 2 in most categories.I see a lot of people who don't even like WoW or EQ2 casting votes for them  now.

EVE is one of the finalists for PvE? Give me a break. EVE's PvE is absoultey horrible. Your awards are being completely trashed by a link on the EVE forums telling their fans to come over here and vote.

I look forward to your rant if a link goes up in the WoW forums (even if it does, the most suprising thing would be Blizzard giving a damn, which is unlikely).
  • KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

Ok I'd like to be the first to say that your desicion to use open voting then only take the game that got 10% for finals voting made this the lamest Reader's Choice awards I've ever seen. Sure people complained last time that you bascially told them who they could vote for but you made it a hundred time worse.
    You might as well call it the EVE vs WoW awards...you seriously need to re think this entire process if this is the result.image

Seriously... I totally agree.

I was thinking to myself how ridiculous it is that for almost every catagory you only had a choice between WoW and EvE.

WoW is so frustratingly over-hyped and EVE is boring.

I vote that both games suck and I pray that something new and fun comes out soon to over shadow both these games.

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515
    LAaaaaaaadies and Gentlemen! Tonights fight is scheduled for three rounds between the Everlasting EVE fanboys, and the Whorling Wonder of World of Warcraft fanboys! Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet's get ready to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumble!

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

Originally posted by hercules
    Another year ,another call to arms on EVE forums,possibly another clean sweep for eve. I wonder if L2,FFX!,EQ2 or WoW done similar rallying calls would eve even make it to finals.I think not as this games all have at least 2+ the number of subs EVE has. And please don't say eve getting all this finalist votes because its so super. However i think i like this method of few finalist mostly 2 in most categories.I see a lot of people who don't even like WoW or EQ2 casting votes for them  now.
    L2 forums wouldn't matter because farmers won't care to vote for the game.
    FFX players are too busy trying to find parties that will last more than 30 seconds.
    SoE is too busy killing their games to mention a website's read's choice awards.
    WoW could have it mentioned on their boards, but Blizzard has damn near 0 interaction with players, whereas alot of EVE players not only have interacted with devs, but actually get to known them and care about their players.

Besides, do you think hordes of WoW players would come swarming here?  Most likely no, because to be honest, the majority of those 7 million couldn't give a damn about the game's image, and it'd take away from their complex spamming, or boar killing in the forest.image

It is odd only two finalists in each catagory, but as these are read choice awards, if the vast majority of readers areEVE/WoW players, then even having other games listed, isn't going to cause one of them to oust EVE or WoW, now is it? ;)
  • sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648

Ok I'd like to be the first to say that your desicion to use open voting then only take the game that got 10% for finals voting made this the lamest Reader's Choice awards I've ever seen. Sure people complained last time that you bascially told them who they could vote for but you made it a hundred time worse. You might as well call it the EVE vs WoW awards...you seriously need to re think this entire process if this is the result.image
    Obviously, the way things worked out was not ideal, but ultimately, this is the Reader's Choice Awards. We cannot stop them from voting for EVE and WOW.

Next year, I suspect we'll revisit the format again.

It's funny you said the same thing last year. I still don't understand why you simply can't let people vote out of every game on the list.

Then again it might end up showing that there are other games people like besides WoW and Eve... nah can't have that.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    The fact that WoW is up for best PvP and best story makes these awards look like a joke.

• DrAtomicDrAtomic Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by Nierro
    The fact that WoW is up for best PvP and best story makes these awards look like a joke.

Not less then EvE being best PvE game...
  • NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

Originally posted by DrAtomic
    Originally posted by Nierro

Not less then EvE being best PvE game...

3 is more than 1, and I forgot "Why the hell is WoW up for best graphics??".

EvE's PvE is generic...basically every game out there has generic PvE except for WoW and CoX.

WoW deserves to win best PvE but that is IT.

EDIT; Meant PvE when I said PvP.