Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Check Out Eve-Online

imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

I know a lot of you are upset that E&B is shutting down but if you're looking for an alternative you might enjoy Eve-Online.  If you go over to the Eve board someone there will be more than happy to sign you up with a buddy trial account.

I've never played E&B so I can't make a fair comparison but I want to through out a warning from what I've heard:

1.  You will have an extremely difficult and frustrating experience with EVE if you like to play MMO's solo.  It's possible to do but this MMO was designed around teamwork and you have to be quite clever to succeed as a solo player.

2.  EVE has a much more intense PVP system than E&B (again from what I've heard).  If you don't like direct PVP then EVE might not be for you.  Unlike a lot of MMOs now days you don't have to go to a certain PVP area and look for a person to fight with...A lot of times in EVE the PVP will find you...even if you want no part of it.

Comments

• NickDieselNickDiesel Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I agree, try out EVE.  I did play E&B until January, when I found EVE.  Now they have free trials, etc.  System requirements are a little higher, but a much prettier game.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

I would also recommend trying out Jumpgate. I'm currently trying both and am having a very hard time deciding which I like better. They have very similar concepts but very different styles of play. Both are full-PVP enabled and both are player driven economies. They each have their own methods of doing things and both allow guilds to have a HUGE impact on the game.

Both games are VERY fun and very much worth trying.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• AdmiralChaosAdmiralChaos Member Posts: 72

DarkSpace is a pretty good game too, ive been playing it for years, I tried Earth and Beyond... didn't like it, tried EVE Online... didn't like it...

So I have stuck with DarkSpace since I first played it, a lot has changed in the past few years with it, but it keeps the same gameplay through out its updates...

Its extremely fun, and I don't think ill EVER stop playing it :)

Whats that? Oh yeah, thats my beacons hittin your hull...

• PhantomKPhantomK Member Posts: 1
    I betaed for eve online and to be honest i found it boreing and repetative. I dunno might just be me, but i have betaed for DarkSpace and I am currently a subscriber.  I would recommentd DarkSpace over eve any day.  Try out both games but im pretty sure u'll come to the same conclusion i have.  Eve=Mineing Sim      DarkSpace=FUN!

I beta'd eve as well and found it boring and repetitive as well. Its a lot better now than it was then. Just for your info. You might still not like it but the game has definitely matured.

Sig image Pending

What's Darkspace?

Sig image Pending

• JackSwiftJackSwift Member Posts: 9

Tried out EvE... didn't like it. To answer your question Elnator, check out http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/setstart/1/loadthread/11076/loadforum/51/loadclass/35

You can also visit the offical website here: http://www.darkspace.net

Currently DS is been moving around the top 8 spots at MMORPG.com, and for good reason. I highly suggest any E&B refugees to check it out.

- "The only thing I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

- "The only thing I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

I did check the website out but it doesn't answer my main question. It's a space combat/trade/empire game but it doesn't say if it's 3rd person or 1st person or if it's spaceflight combat or 3rd person combat like EVE / E&B or if it's tactical like Masters of Orion/Homeworld

Sig image Pending

• FaustusDSFaustusDS Member Posts: 1

Hi Elnator,

I'm the lead programmer for DarkSpace, who better to get an answer to your question ;)

DarkSpace is like a massively multiplayer star fleet battles type game, with strategy elements (i.e. capturing/building up planets). The original game concept was a real-time Masters of Orion, which began when I worked at Microprose with Steve Barcia (the Original developer of Masters of Orion). Toss in some netrek, star fleet batttles, and you now have DarkSpace...

Needless to say, it's hard to pin it down into one catagory because it's such a mix of all the games I loved to play.

-Richard "Faustus" Lyle

Thanks Rich... unfortunately I've never been into RTS type games very much. Sounds like it's popular though so kudos to you for making a good one, so many today aren't finished when they are shoved out the door.

If I have some spare time (and spare cash) I may give the game a whirl though. Always good to have a few decent Space oriented games to play ;)

Sig image Pending

• AdmiralChaosAdmiralChaos Member Posts: 72
    Well, if you ever do stop by, theres a 5 day free trial for new accounts ;)

• conanownsconanowns Member Posts: 114
    dont worry eve-online sucks too....so you EnB players will feel right at home.

• acrobuddyacrobuddy Member UncommonPosts: 66
    eve doesnt not suck, it is a great game, but i dont know how comparable it is to EnB... dont listen to conan... in the last 15 minutes he has posted about 10 posts, all saying the same thing: that some game sucks

-Scott

• crockcrock Member Posts: 556

checked...no thx

this game suxx

veterans only

• DabruuzerDabruuzer Member UncommonPosts: 123

I played E&B for almost 2 years, and met MANY good friends in that game.  When the announcement came, many of us were completely broken-hearted.  Most of us left within weeks of that, and many ended up trying EVE.

I, for one, really did not like EVE at all.  Although pretty to look at at first glance, it was just missing something.  To me, it was missing the fun factor that E&B provided.  Remember, this is MY OPINION, and I just did not like EVE at all.  And it seems I am not alone - most of my guildmates and friends from E&B quit EVE within a month.  Since then, some of us have landed in CoH, some in AO, others in Lineage.  The point is EVE is a game for the hard-core MMORPGer - not a bad thing, if you are one of them.  For anyone who takes a more casual approach to their gaming, EVE will quickly grow tiresome and boring.  But the nice thing is, they have a free trial so you can see for yourself. :)

City of Heroes
    Pinnacle Server
    DaBurner (30+ Fire/Dev Blaster)
    DaBruuzer(30+ Energy/Energy Blaster)
    DaBlock(low level Invuln./Fire Tanker)
    BengalCat(30+ Empathy/Radiation Defender)

A Little Dab'll Do Ya!

• diegofrgcdiegofrgc Member Posts: 451

I didnt like EVE

Its just too boring

DAMN YOU EA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

I know this thread is so old and dead but I just love the fact that I'm posting this from Eve's browser.