Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally this mediocre game is getting canned.

MrPopsMrPops Member Posts: 2
Earth & Beyond Says Goodbye

Starting September 22, 2004, Earth & Beyond will no longer be in service. After an amazing two years of galactic adventure, Electronic Arts has made the decision to close Earth & Beyond in order to focus resources on future games.

Money does the talking and it looks like enough people weren't yapping.  Say bye bye!

Comments

• roublesroubles Member Posts: 30
    AND YOU KNOW THIS...HOW   image

• StarszStarsz Member Posts: 3
    no need to rip the game apart, for a large number of people this was a great game, i spent many many hours plsying this game and will be upset to see it go :(

• JutsuJutsu Member Posts: 264

MrPop... WE know that its happening.. you dont have to say:

"YAY ITS LEAVING..." So dont post something that would upset people more.. WE all thought this game was the best.. but now.. its going to be out of service...

(o'.')--------oo----('.'o)

Isn't this just FRIGGEN peachy. I just re-joined for a whopping 100,000credits and 2 skill points...points>>>> what's the POINT. BYE BYE E&B...bastards

• wizardpetewizardpete Member Posts: 28

You can think whatever you want. Most players I know have been playing the game for 1-2 years and loved it. Personally I believe its an awesome game and has provided a lot of fun and joy to its players. Our guild was a real nice bunch and I will miss the players I met there.

WizardPete 150+ TT, TheTank 150+ PW, WizardExp 150+ JE, Guylian 136 JW

Proud high counsel member of the Warlords

• jagwarrjagwarr Member Posts: 26
     Disappointed to see this game go too. I had alot of fun playing E&B.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

For those who were interested in E&B, i would check out Eve Online as a migration option...

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself falling into madness... Dive." - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• ItazurakkoItazurakko Member Posts: 4

Well I will be looking elsewhere. I dislike EVe's PvP system not AT ALL what I'm looking for in a game

Formerly Roguedracus of EnB

I agree that EA is a bunch of assholes who look for money... but E&B is a great game.. I loved it since i was in beta.. I hope someone else buys the game off of EA and starts making as there own...

Remember Westwood? they were the ones who actually started the project.. EA bought it...

those bastards.. I hope Westwood takes it back.. Who here thinks someone would take it?

I hope someone does... cuss this game has GREAT potential to become a good Space sim..

and if i hear bad comments on E&B itself.. It will be a nightmare to whomever does make bad comments on it... I dont give a crap about EA.. Do whatever you like to EA.

• visionnervisionner Member Posts: 41
    I agree E&B is a great game, its sad to see it go =(.
  • MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

Um EA bought out Westwood Studios.... Sorry guys image

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself falling into madness... Dive." - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• KlydeKlyde Member UncommonPosts: 38

IIRC, I think that EA owned WW prior to release.

I seem to remember EA's logo all over the start-up of the game during beta.

I'll be sorry to see it go also, I've been with it since closed beta, and it's a great game.

Too bad the suits at EA are only into Sims and sports. image

Level 150 TT on Andromeda
    Trade Consortium Guild

• VITAMADNESSVITAMADNESS Member Posts: 132

"Suits" unfortunately have a responsibilty to their whole company. Not that I am or ever want to be one,but if E & B was not making money, it is not fair to the rest of the EA workers to suffer finacially to keep a sinking boat afloat...

What most people do not realize is that MMOPPGs take a lot (yes much more than most people think) of money to run (I am not talking about developing). The ISP costs, the manpower, the number of servers to maintain add up to huge $$$ a month.

I would wager that most MMORPGs that are out or are coming out will fall prey to the same problem. Not too many people are willing to stay subscribed to more than 1 or 2 MMORPG's at a time which limits the possible success of smaller MMORPG's. The other is time/friends. Most people that play MMORPG only play for so many hours a week and try to do so with their RL friends. This means that most people will be subscribed to game that appeal to many people, which are usually the big name MMORPGs.

Anyway, I thought E & B was ok, but I felt the teen rating had to go on at least a couple servers....I know a bunch of adults that gave up on it after being harassed for "adult" remarks and char names that would never have been an issue in any of the other MMOPRG that I played. And in reality the remarks that I heard of an experienced are about on par with what I see/hear on TV every night. I would have to assume my friends and I were not the only ones that experienced this.

Always sad to see any game fail becuase it means that many real people suffer with job loses and what not, but unfortunately it happens :(

Anyway...just my 2 coppers worth of opinion.

Beta'd: Neocron, Planetside, ShadowBane, Horizons, City of Heros, Saga of Ryzom, Lineage II, WoW Stress Test

Played: EQ, Shadowbane, DAoC, SWG, Anarchy Online, Asherson's Call 2. Earth and Beyond, City of Heros, EQ

Playing: WAITING FOR WOW and EQ 2

• Dsty2001Dsty2001 Member Posts: 64

EA done the exact same thing to AirWarrior

EA needs to burn in hell and rot

Sometimes, it is better to say nothing at all. Cause big mouths results in big words, and big words travel like bacteria.

Sometimes, it is better to say nothing at all. Cause big mouths say big words, and big words travel like bacteria.

• MuppetHeroMuppetHero Member Posts: 208
    i just started playing this game again. after 2 years. I beta tested and played for about 4 months after. It really is a good game. Sorry to see it go. Lucky they annouced this today as i was going to buy the game today. lol.. funny how that works.  I do blame this on EA. i think with some Marketing and maybe a GOOD exp pack this game could have lived.

Conservatism.
    Just old white men trying to find ways to legalize discrimination, and make the poor poorer

have you noticed... That they said "We need to cancel this project to use all the resources available to make future games" noticed that? I think they had LOTS of money... people we're paying every month.. so i dont think that theres a problem with money.. its just that they want MORE money to fill there purses.... Those inconsiderate pieces of shits.. I dont blame the people who went along side E&B since the starting of beta... the devs aren't to blame.. its the leaders of EA who pulled the plug on E&B not the devs...

EA BURN IN HELLL AND ROT!!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Dsty2001Dsty2001 Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by Jutsu

have you noticed... That they said "We need to cancel this project to use all the resources available to make future games" noticed that? I think they had LOTS of money... people we're paying every month.. so i dont think that theres a problem with money.. its just that they want MORE money to fill there purses.... Those inconsiderate pieces of shits.. I dont blame the people who went along side E&B since the starting of beta... the devs aren't to blame.. its the leaders of EA who pulled the plug on E&B not the devs...
    EA BURN IN HELLL AND ROT!!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

If the game doesn't have tons of suscribers, EA doesn't feel like working on it.  E&B had huge potential, but just like AirWarrior, EA decided to can it.  EA is the biggest POS company I know, yeah they have some huge titles like MOH and some good sports games, but when it comes to MMOGs, they SUCK

Sometimes, it is better to say nothing at all. Cause big mouths results in big words, and big words travel like bacteria.

Sometimes, it is better to say nothing at all. Cause big mouths say big words, and big words travel like bacteria.

Well I went in for a 2nd time and cancelled my account. Chapps my ASS that they invite me back and then post a msg of cancellation. I disputed the charge with my CC company. I'll let you all know what happens.image

• CervantusCervantus Member Posts: 28

Odd that they wouldn't merge the 4 servers into 2 or 1. If there weren't enough players to keep 4 servers profitable perhaps 1 or 2 would have pushed it into black territory. Sad to see the genre shrink a little. especially a niche player like EnB.

Agreed... They should've saved money and resources and just put 1-2 servers so people can play

• wizardpetewizardpete Member Posts: 28

With the lack of support they have shown in-game and also the support in developing and maintaining the game, it surely has significantly damaged their credibility amongst nearly all players currently playing the game. EBportal is full of anti-EA threads, some of them being pretty serious.

What they don't seem to understand or want to understand is that if they publish a game and are not showing the proper commitment in publishing, marketing and supporting the game, it will rub off on future (online) games they are going to bring out. They now trashed E&B and MCO. If nothing changes Sims Online will be next and they will be left with only UO.

Just my € 0.02

I agree... this is getting ridicoulus... if they cant handle MMORPGs then they should go to hell and not think about making any more MMORPGs... if they cant handle it.. they shouldn't even be a Massively Multiplayer company.. Sony is probably doing better then them because of planetside and other games they put on market. i would say that sony is prolly 3rd in the top company list... because they never let a game down.... Or... did they?

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I played my free month and i had enough.   Game had a good concept but it was poorly designed... too bad.

EA did the right thing, don't let a poor game drag you down.  If E&B had a descent amount of subcribers they would'nt have cancelled it.

• af666af666 Member Posts: 11

EnB was so fun ::::27::

.:A Witty Saying Proves Nothing:.

.:A Witty Saying Proves Nothing:.

• ItazurakkoItazurakko Member Posts: 4

To those that said it wasn't making money. Thats not true, the Game wose consitiltly mentioned profit markerr in the EA finiation reportys, Note that this doese not mean It was wais doingin stealtherly well though.

It would have been nice for them Advertices it. I found out about it at GenCon