Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Way to revive Shadowbane

Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574

Make rampant P vs P have some consequence (at least NPC faction changes at the very least).  Keep P vs P but not as a total continuous gankfest that it presently is.

Add more P vs E content to balance things out.  Make the game world come to life.

Comments

• TRS5TRS5 Member Posts: 11

WRONGE

the way to revive SB is to put char to char collision in, this way no stacks of 1000 players on each other. This is the reason i quit SB 3 weeks from release

• RamsieRamsie Member UncommonPosts: 51
    if its been that long sicne you played, Id suggest atleast giving the 15 day free trial a shot. The game, since UBI took over, has been improving.

• HandaHanda Member Posts: 45

Unfortunately, SB continues to be a continuous gankfest.  This may be largely attributable to the zergfest mentality of the politics combined with the server-lag paralysis associated with city seiges.  A bane dropped by one guild on another guild's city is almost guaranteed to produce an unplayable zerg (particularly if the guild is in a big alliance) arising from server lag.  This means that the "enjoyable" PvP that might arise from guild wars involving 20 to 40 players is almost non-existent...at least on Vengeance server.

It would be nice if there were some consequence to ganking lowbies.  As it exists, you must develop a "prey" mentality while leveling through the lower levels unless you get power leveled by your guild.  Even then, you don't learn to fight your toon is all you do is stand out of harms way during the PL session.  Many of the new PvP mmo games seem to be trying to control such "bullying" of lowbies.  SB might benefit from a similar system.

Finally, UBI implementing a more stable, less laggy game would help as well.  Memory leaks continue to be horrible. 

• speaktome62speaktome62 Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Handa

Unfortunately, SB continues to be a continuous gankfest.  This may be largely attributable to the zergfest mentality of the politics combined with the server-lag paralysis associated with city seiges.  A bane dropped by one guild on another guild's city is almost guaranteed to produce an unplayable zerg (particularly if the guild is in a big alliance) arising from server lag.  This means that the "enjoyable" PvP that might arise from guild wars involving 20 to 40 players is almost non-existent...at least on Vengeance server.
    It would be nice if there were some consequence to ganking lowbies.  As it exists, you must develop a "prey" mentality while leveling through the lower levels unless you get power leveled by your guild.  Even then, you don't learn to fight your toon is all you do is stand out of harms way during the PL session.  Many of the new PvP mmo games seem to be trying to control such "bullying" of lowbies.  SB might benefit from a similar system.
    Finally, UBI implementing a more stable, less laggy game would help as well.  Memory leaks continue to be horrible. 

Oh great lets make SB a carebear game would you like some tea with your needlepoint?

• StromkoStromko Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by speaktome62

Oh great lets make SB a carebear game would you like some tea with your needlepoint?

That's a question of whether they want to please those that have stayed with them or those who might've been interested at one point in playing. Maybe I wouldn't have quit if the game wasn't so effing cheap, but they did manage to get my initial 50$ so what's it matter to them?

Of course my entire guild(formed on Shadowbane) was getting raped by an uberguild(that came from some other MMORPG), and said uberguild was raping about every single guild that so much as 'LOL'd at a charter member, so I'd say a lot of people would have wanted that game to be a little more 'carebear', and from everyone who joined up in the first few months there must be a majority that have left and will never come back. There were hardcore guilds that intended to dominate the game from the get-go, and they succeeded well enough to make a dent in the userbase.

As to the actual topic of this post, I think what would make a major difference is a way to balance uberguild vs microguild: Have a Bane circle cost anywhere from 5 to 25% of a guild's income, or some other sizeable margin of their total wealth. The point of this is that a continental empire won't bother utterly ganking any hamlet that they might decide to piss on, and little 20 - 40 member guilds might actually wage war on eachother and have some actually fun skirmishes.

I -truly- did have fun with that game, when I was in a smallish guild and we were all working to build our own city, but then another guild with 1,000+ members who controlled an entire continent decided to utterly destroy us. There really was no reason; like the other ten cities they Baned within a matter of a few weeks they called us griefers, and because they had no trouble coughing up the money for a bane circle there was no need to air their grievances in any way but to utterly destroy us.

If Shadowbane wasn't a shameless gankfest, then it shouldn't be acceptible for uber guilds to destroy the hard work of small guilds just for the hell of it, and I think the best way to stop this due to a lack of a mature community would be basing the cost of waging war on how powerful your guild is. It's not worth wasting a city of 30 - 40 people if it takes 10% of 1,000 players' income.

• VassagoVassago Member Posts: 75

You hit the nail on the head Stromko.  I've had more fun PvP in this game that any other, but only during certain circumstances.  While running around a swamp searching for a good camp with a group of friends, I was ambushed by a group of people from an enemy guild.  We were all relatively close in level, and a mind-bending skirmish ensued.  My group of friends were elite and rarely lost, but the enemy seemed to be composed of similar people.  I still remember that battle today and see it as the pinnacle of what fun PvP can potentially be.  That's rarely the case due to what Stromko mentioned, however. 

My own personal search is on for a game that is structured to present that type of scenario again and again.

Genetics loads the gun; lifestyle pulls the trigger.

• Stravus-EBStravus-EB Member Posts: 79

For the ones that complain about uber guilds. I have to say all you have to do is join a nation of like minded people. There shold not be 100 10 man guilds that think they have the right to survive. Shadowbane is a hard core pvp guild. All that has to be done to make Shadowbane revive is to get stability in the game and UBI is working very hard to do that. 

As for the person that complained of stackign well if you were on Vengeance you would already see that stacks do not always win the battle. I have seen better organised people that did not use the stack tactic use better tactics and destroy larger groups that did use the stack.

• VassagoVassago Member Posts: 75

I agree that smaller guilds shouldn't have any more leverage, but I also think that larger guilds should have a tougher time expanding beyond reason.  A price curve on bane circles might do the trick.  It would limit rampant expansion but still allow for world domination.

Genetics loads the gun; lifestyle pulls the trigger.

• LypheusLypheus Member UncommonPosts: 82

I don't see any problems with smaller guilds having issues vs larger guilds. Why not? Does the USA have to conform to rules when invading Iraq? No. Should they? No. Its the same in SB - if you tick off a guild thats ten times your size then you need to prepare for a serious invasion. Learn to make allies and sub to another, larger, nation if you need to.

PvP is just fine in SB, you need to work together and use your scouts to avoid getting gankged. Nobody LIKES getting hammered on the way home to their local burser folks - which is why teamwork is so important.

Now I do happen to find these r6/7's running around killing r2/r3's pretty annoying, but thats just part of the game and you learn to deal with it or move on to a less hostile environment. That and camping runes, etc.. is a little silly - though OTOH it does create desireable control points in the game.

Personally I think a game like Guild Wars may have the answer for those who aren't ready or don't want to participate in full PvP. It looks exceptionally well thought out so far and avoids many of SB's less desireable traits through instancing and declared warfare without asset destruction.

For my part I think SB is quite fun, get involved in a descent guild or sub and you'll have less issues.

• Stravus-EBStravus-EB Member Posts: 79
    On Vengeance right now there are a few Uber guilds they are LKK,KOA, KGB, and EB. They are listed in size with LKK being the largest and EB being the smallest. KoA and KGB are allied and that makes one large force to deal with but for the last 5 days EB has been taking the fight to KoA capital and KGB/KOA have not been able to do anything about it. The Uber guilds these days go after one another they really do not pick on the small guilds to much unless the small guild  try planting in a claimed area or they stick their nose in someone else's business. Plus seige spires have made it possible for a group of 10 to hold off an army of 100 or more.