Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Killer NIC

xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

Dont get me wrong from the start, im not saying that the Killer NIC is nearly worth the money, but...

The Killer NIC has its own NPU (network processing Unit) and has RAM, and everything that a video card has. This is the future of NIC's. It is just like graphics cards. At first it was the CPU's job to handle this, but now we have $600 cards that do this job and are well worth it. Pretty soon the computer will be all "self-processing units" soon simple things like the CD drive will have its own "Drive processing Unit".

So again, for the amount of power this Killer NIC kicks out its not nearly worth it, but the idea is one of the future.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The KillerNIC is a gold-plated piece of dung.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

Originally posted by grunty

Yes, agreed, but the idea is not. Other NICs are a far better bang for your buck. but the Killer NIC is the first NIC to be for gaming, which is an idea that is not crap

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by xpyrofuryx
    Originally posted by grunty
    Yes, agreed, but the idea is not. Other NICs are a far better bang for your buck. but the Killer NIC is the first NIC to be for gaming, which is an idea that is not crap

Idea is complete crap (the problem is latency & quality of components outside of your control), this is the 3rd or so thread I have seen on "killer"-Nic & it is awfull in every way (yes even the design).
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

The reason other network cards don't have RAM and CPU's is because there is no need.

Your internet games are using  1/32 of a kilobyte bandwidth.

My PC has 2,024,0000 kilobytes RAM availble.

The data flow is so slow, that no matter how old my computer it will always be the slowest part of the process.

The bottleneck is the fibre optic cable. Not the PC. Upgrading your PC is utterly pointless. 286 computers are perfectly capable of handling this tiny data rate.

In other devices like Sound, physics and graphics where the is an element of processing required, and high data bandwidth I can see the point and concur with your assessment of the trend.