Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Casual Playing Possible?

freiheitfreiheit Member Posts: 264
I understand that Eve is very indepth, but does that also include a huge time sink like how pvp and raiding is/were in WoW?

Comments

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    EVE isn't any more indepth than EQ, EQ2 or WoW. EVE just throws everything at you at once. This leads to the false perception that it is has greath depth, which fanbois cling to and try to sell to others. All the other successful MMOs you learn as you go instead of being expected to learn of the stuff right off the bat. You don't really need to know about jammers, middle to top tier ships, creating blueprints, and all the other stuff as a newb. The depth EVE has in economy it lacks for in combat.
  • mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by brostyn
    EVE isn't any more indepth than EQ, EQ2 or WoW. EVE just throws everything at you at once. This leads to the false perception that it is has greath depth, which fanbois cling to and try to sell to others. All the other successful MMOs you learn as you go instead of being expected to learn of the stuff right off the bat. You don't really need to know about jammers, middle to top tier ships, creating blueprints, and all the other stuff as a newb. The depth EVE has in economy it lacks for in combat.

The statement made by Brostyn is obviously plauged with prejudice agasint EVE Online.  Be wary of posters that mask their intent as trolling forums such as this one is failing at.

Casual game play?

Yes, it supports casual players.  I play 2-4 hours a week with maybe 4 hours additionally on the weekend.  If you consider that "casual" then it could be for you.

The thing with EVE that most are unabel to grasp is the epxansive dynamics that are permited from the creation of a character.  You are only limited in your options to fit modules to your ship while the ship its self is limited to the skills developed that permit using larger ones.  And don't be fooled to believe larger is better. 

Combat in EVE is the most tactical ever fielded in an online game.  On the surface it allows for simplicity which commonly is mistaken for static and linear game play; ie, orbit 500m.  

The new character experiance is rough and overwhelming to new players.   It gives you so much info from the start you're going to need a break, or drugs and alcohol, to get through it.  You must complete it if you wish to have a grasp on the basics in EVE.

EVE provides for other means of play rather then fetch 10 rat tails and kill 1000 plauged boars to reach level 2.  It heavily resides upon interaction with other players while supporting political agendas of mega corporations and alliances.  New players have many places albiet it is genneraly governed by your own mindset.

• ManInTheBoxManInTheBox Member Posts: 75

all skills train even when you are offline. it's the most casual friendly game i've played.
    that said some corp fights go on for 24 hours and last months. eve can take as much or as little time as you want to give it :)
    Some days i'll hope on for 10 mins do a trade run make a mill and log off. other's i spend 6 hours hunting people. all up to you for once. i think that's a good way to describe it. in eve everything is up to you.

corse with ultimate freedom comes ultimate the ultimate case of "wth is going on?" and things change with every expansion. hop in and ask questions. the players in the corp and in help will be glad to answere them for you.

*edit*
    and with kali now live it's not so hostile to noobs. you start off with 800k sp instead of 100-300 so you can start doing stuff right out of the gate

• ZubaZuba Member Posts: 141
    this kali thing is interesting, but i cant join it unfortunatly, damn credit cards they accept. not a wide enough range.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by Zuba
    this kali thing is interesting, but i cant join it unfortunatly, damn credit cards they accept. not a wide enough range.

Tried using PayPal? It's easy to set up. ^^

Oh and yes, they do accept it... check out the FAQ in my sig. image

-iCeh

• ManInTheBoxManInTheBox Member Posts: 75
    oh noes now he has no excuse image

• BroodwichBroodwich Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Will an corp want you as a casual player it depends on the corp. Most corps will probally keep you so long as your pay your corp fees regularly. Other than that so long as your training skill when not playing you'd be no different than other players other than they might have more money and more agent access than you.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by Broodwich
    Will an corp want you as a casual player it depends on the corp. Most corps will probally keep you so long as your pay your corp fees regularly. Other than that so long as your training skill when not playing you'd be no different than other players other than they might have more money and more agent access than you.
    If a corp is charging you a FEE to be a member then it's not worth being a member of that corp, JFYI.  There are loads of high quality corporations which do not charge a fee.  Most do have an 'income tax' which taxes you a small % of the bounties you get from killing NPC and Player Pirates.  Other than that most corps do not charge a fee of any kind.  Even the very most successful ones do not.  (I have been in several, including ASCN)

That said:  Corporations do expect members to be online more than once or twice a month.  If you are going to be gone for an extended period most corporations expect you to let folks know, usually on a forum on their message board, that you will be away and how long you expect to be gone.  If you are gone for great lengths of time without letting folks know you are going away for a bit it is possible that corporations will drop you from their rosters in order to make room for newer and more active players.

As to casual play?  It absolutely is possible.  Many players play only a few hours a week and just log in to change skills once in a while when they can't, or don't want to, play.  You won't make as much money as a player who is on all the time but you will be able to train your skills while away, etc. 

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• LeJohnLeJohn Member Posts: 313

Ok since no one will give you a simple answer with throwing in a sales pitch.

Yes a casual gamer can play EVE and enjoy it as much as any game they only play casually. Other than FPS you can not play any game just casually and expect the "great" items/stuff.

Typically MMOG/MMOGRPS require that you put in time to really enjoy them. Even EVE requires a massive time investment becuse like all other games it take ISK (money) to buy things and you must work for the money... ok strike that,, you must invest the time for the money.  A Pirate/gatecamper may not work for the isk but they do invest the Time. image

So again, can a casual player play EVE, absolutly but will you enjoy it?  image

• pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

freiheit yeas casual playing possible and good no exping in eve .

Time sink hm not as in wow and other "crappy mmorpgs with XP grinds"

mail [email protected] if you need tips!

• fizzle322fizzle322 Member Posts: 723

Eve is not for casual players.

Yes you accumulate SP while offline but really "exp" is money.

You need money to buy ships, insurance, clones, etc.

You need time to make cash, unless you go buy it with RL cash.
  • DarkenralDarkenral Member Posts: 8

No EVE is not for casual play.

It is a PVP game with an unforgiving death penalty so in order to PVP you need to grind PVE for "isk" (eve money) to repalce gear. It is a major turn off for most casual gamers I know.

Not to mention your starting when the game is already top heavy with vets so the only PVP youll be doing is in gangs so if you like solo work thats strike 2.

Dark

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Originally posted by Darkenral
    Not to mention your starting when the game is already top heavy with vets so the only PVP youll be doing is in gangs so if you like solo work thats strike 2.

I don't know any vets that fly alone. EVE is not a solo game, period.

Go ahead, take that massive uber Titan out solo, see how long you last.

But as far as the OP: Yes, EVE is a very casual friendly game. I play quite casually even though I love the game. There are many different options you can explore for casual play. You don't need to be in that uber expensive ship to do some heavy damage in EVE due to the strategy involved.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • ItsmeeItsmee Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by fizzle322

Eve is not for casual players.

Yes you accumulate SP while offline but really "exp" is money.

You need money to buy ships, insurance, clones, etc.

You need time to make cash, unless you go buy it with RL cash.

Originally posted by Darkenral

No EVE is not for casual play.

It is a PVP game with an unforgiving death penalty so in order to PVP you need to grind PVE for "isk" (eve money) to repalce gear. It is a major turn off for most casual gamers I know.

Dark

Rubbish...

The casual player can play and enjoy eve far more then mmo's that require grind work to level up and require players to raid to get epic items.

While isk is important (as gold is in pretty much ever other game.) it can be obtained quite easily, and relativly risk free if you so wish.

Also unlike other mmos being a vet doesn't matter, due to the way the skill points work, a vet may have 40 million skill points.. but he does not and can not use all those skill points at once. He onnly uses the relevent skills.. i.e the Battleships skill does not affect the use of frigates and vice-versa.

Only those who have little to know idea about how eve work will use that argument, being as a 2 week old player can kill a 3 year old player.. none of the "I'm level 60 so i pwn levels 1 to 59.."

• thatcatthatcat Member Posts: 18

WOW is a much better casual game. I base that opinion on coversations I have had with WOW players I know in RL. EVE can be played on a casual basis but you may have problems if your activities are affected by what is going on in the game. Its not always easy to stay current on events in the game which affect the economy. For a lot of the play that occurs in empire casual play does works well though. In 0.0 casual play works as long as you are attached to a good corporation. IF you aren't then you will usually just end up being a target.

• ItsmeeItsmee Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by thatcat

WOW is a much better casual game. I base that opinion on coversations I have had with WOW players I know in RL. EVE can be played on a casual basis but you may have problems if your activities are affected by what is going on in the game. Its not always easy to stay current on events in the game which affect the economy. For a lot of the play that occurs in empire casual play does works well though. In 0.0 casual play works as long as you are attached to a good corporation. IF you aren't then you will usually just end up being a target.

Strange how many WoW players say that it's not for casual players.. because once you hit the end game you then have to do raids to get equipment that allows you remain competitive and the majority of raids can last 4 plus hours.. And even then you are not garenteed to get what you need so you have to go through the whole process again and again.

Yet in the same thread, many wow players say that "eve is for the casual of the casuals" (that comes from Stabbitysue of the Sacred silver blades on the Wow forums.) 

I know both WoW and Eve players IRL ... and they agree that WoW requires more time (as do all games the are level grind and epic item driven.) the a game like eve that doesn't require a grind to gain skill points.

There are those who will rant on how you have to grind to get isk.. and tbh.. if you have even a small amount of common sense then you can find quick and easy ways to gain isk with out running missions 24/7 or mining (unless thats the sort of thing you enjoy doing..)

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

"So it's a PVP game, and yet you don't really need to PvP. The corp I'm in right now operates in Empire space, meaning it's pretty safe and we can just focus on developing relationships with other corps and hopefully joining an alliance soon."

Can you explain exactly what that means? I am FFXI player who was very interested in EvE given the fact that i loved EnB and just space based games in general. A lot of what you speak of does not equal dynamic content? im not trying to insult the game but the way i take that is "we just mine together and talk". Something like FFXI is very deep, hard and has a lot of fun dynamic content. In eve the big draw is the pvp but when all the pvp happens at the gates, that turns it more in to an arena like pvp game... which imo hurts the games value.

I am as deep of a gamer there is really, so when i first tried eve there were alot of concepts that i really liked but when you get down to the combat, im sorry but its just is not fun. knowing which missle works works well from 2000m is not deep... its boring. Hauling cargo... not fun, mining ... not fun. BUT if there was some fun gameplay where mining/hauling etc was apart of it then you would have something. Theres lots of boring stuff in FFXI but the encounters are fun as shit... Also EnB space, it felt more populated, in EvE you can fly around for hours and see nothing...

Hey, and like i said im a big fan of the space mmorpg, so if someone wants to drop wisdom on me, my ears are wide open... i mean i gave the game 2 1/2 solid months... its not really "this game isnt for you", its more like "this game isnt very good"

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

• thatcatthatcat Member Posts: 18

I've never playeed WOW personally but what I am told and what I get a sense of is that for WOW players they can drop playing for a couple of months, and come back to the game and EVERYTHING is the same. That works really well for the casual player. That does not say that power gaming in WOW doesn't exist or isn't fun.

In EVE if you drop the game for a couple of months and then come back everything MIGHT be changed because everything in EVE is dynamic and player controlled. This doesn't lend itself to casual playing from that perspective. An experienced player can drop in on a casual basis just to stay current, adjust their training, etc, etc. and that can also be viewed as casual play.

Overall for what most people consider "casual play" WOW is a much better game and has proved the experts wrong in that mass numbers of people ARE willing to pay to play on a casual basis. It doesn't mean EVE can't be played casually but most the casual players I knew while playing were just logging in from time to time to keep up with whats going on "UNTIL" they had time to actually sit down and play the game.

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

when i actually tried eve, i went 100%. i took a long break from FFXI due to burn out and this whole idea of there being some kind of hardcore dedicated group of players in eve... i did not find that.

I play 6-8 hours in my game sessions, fact is just about every person i ran in to, played eve as there "Second game". most of them just passing the time until w/e. most just log in to adjust skills... in most games, even games i think are bad (like EQ2) you can find something in them... i found nothing in eve.

idk. im just amazed that EnB people really like this game, sure the single shard, corp concepts and the great amount of paths one can take is great ... but THERE IS NO GAME HERE. So yeah, i hope Star Trek Online actually does this genre right.

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

• ScioScio Member Posts: 1
    To give my personal example, I played a lot of MMOs in college and had a lot of hours to spend in front of the computer.  Now that I am in the work force, and thus have less time to play, EVE is the perfect game.  My skills will train when I am unable to log in (with proper planning) and I could be out of town for 2 weeks and come back and not be "behind" my friends and corp members (guild mates).

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

Originally posted by Scio
    To give my personal example, I played a lot of MMOs in college and had a lot of hours to spend in front of the computer.  Now that I am in the work force, and thus have less time to play, EVE is the perfect game.  My skills will train when I am unable to log in (with proper planning) and I could be out of town for 2 weeks and come back and not be "behind" my friends and corp members (guild mates).
    I second his statement as I can attest to it.  Also once an avid gamer, now reduced to a working fulltime, married, and now father.  The problem I find right now is trying to stay off it long enough to be a casual player.  Old habits die hard I suppose.

• bazzusbazzus Member Posts: 8

Eve is great for casual play.  With Eve your skills train while offline. WoW on the other hand you need to be online to lvl.  If you play WoW on a couple hours a day you will never get high in lvls and will be limited to that end.  While in Eve the skills train when away and it is always good to have a skill training at ALL TIMES.  This way you will advance up at a steady pace. I myself have three account one with 7 mil skill point, one with 1.5 mil, and one I just started.  WIth Eve you make the game whatever you like really.  If in game drop me a line (Zarzul) is my main really. So, feel free to say hi.

Edit:  I just got xfire so those hours dont reflect my real play time.

• ulberonulberon Member Posts: 198
    Absolutely.  Since the skills are time based, if you don't play for several days, just pick a skill that will take several days to learn.  It'll be like christmas when you come back.

• MajestikMajestik Member Posts: 16

I am a casual player as well. If it was not for the training of skills off line I probably would have left the game long ago.

Spent 2 months away from the game last summer because I was busy. Put in long training skills and set a reminder. It is also good to let the corp know that you are away for a while.

Last December I traveled around the world for over three weeks.......set up training for BC level 5 on Nov.28 and left for the S. Pacific. Left Rio Xmas eve and back home in the game with my new skill complete on the Dec.26 and enjoying the new patch.

Works great for me and the people I know who depend on the off line skill training.
    Who are Doctor,teachers,nurses,Boeing 777 captain,a few 767 pilots,aircraft mechanics,etc.
    And especially busy parents.

What we all seem to have in common is our interest in Space and scifi.......and are fans of shows like Space 1999,Lost in Space,UFO,Star Wars,Star Trek series,Babylon5,Battlestar Galactica,StarGate series, etc and read scifi books base on Space such as "The Planet Pirates" by Anne McCaffrey,Nye,and Moon.....or the Honor Harrington series and the space opera "In Deaths Ground" by David Weber.

Last week I mined ice with my corp for 4 hours then set my skill for 2 days and went to Hong Kong early this week....back home yesterday and found out we are at war in empire  in 24 hours.......today I am preparing for battle doing logistics among others in the alliance I belong to....supplying ships supplies for the new members......1 hour to go........

I love this type of game.

Set my skill for Astrometrics 5 and leaving the country again next week and when I return by next weekend for the large alliance group mining project. While I am mining I will shop the market for the supplies I need for my Hyperian ship to  prepared for exploration.

Currently I am cleaning my kitchen while watching/listening to Eve TV(fanfest is on) on my dual 17in wide flatpanels and monitoring chat in the game on my 23in wide flatpanel.
    Afterwards I will play a while....go to the gym for a couple of hours and  spend the rest of the evening eating pizza and salad while watching movies with lady friend.

BTW the picture on Eve TV is very clear. Glad we are back to using WMP as option.

This game works for me very well.
    Have a good weekend everyone.

• lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Op:  "Can I play casually?"

It really depends on the person.  It's more about what you feel you can do than what EVE thinks you can do. 

For example, you might always expect that you can be ganked at any time, and thus feel like you always need a source of income in order to contribute to a group at the same level you think you could currently.  Other people may feel that what they've got now is all they need, and what they've got in the future is what they'll use.  Either one can win, either one stands a chance of failing at every turn, and either can be mired in paralysis.

Some days the hook sets, and it's a lot of fun.  Other days you log in and you rapidly begin to feel drained.  No special op will start, or it will end badly or prematurely.

If you get along with people easy, and quickly, then casual participation is probably easier.  If not, then it's a question of how much solo play appeals to you.

I'll be the first to say that I'm not very good at EVE, but I like the fact that that is an outcome that I deserve.  EVE doesn't hold my hand and it doesn't give me any illusions about my social status.