Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The March of Time...

TamalanTamalan Member Posts: 1,117

I'm a 36 year old gamer (soon to be 37 in Dec) and whilst i wait for releases such as Vanguard, LoTR: Online and Age of Conan to hopefully rekindle my faith in MMO's, I've been throwing myself back into the world of single player games to fill the gap in my gaming needs.

After much urging by real life friends I finally got around to getting myself Star Wars: Battlefront 2.

What fun! My inner stormtooper is delighted. It's been literally years since I played an FPS game, to illustrate this point I think the last FPS i really got into was Elite Force, prior to that Goldeneye on the N64. I used to be pretty damn good round my late teens/early 20's, I could certainly take on most of my friends and win, and the single player options i would breeze through.

But time marches on, and despite feeling the same inside, my outside is letting me down. I now suck at FPS, my poor, rattled old nerves just cant react as quickly as they used to and I now find myself struggling to complete missions in BF2 even on the normal setting. It all just moves to quick, I end up shooting my own men more than the enemies and I'm barely aware of grenades rolling to my feet before my inevitable explosive death.

Pity the older gamer, his inner child 'pwend' by his aging hand/eye co-ordination. The mind is willing but the body is weak. Until the release of the new crop of MMO's I fear i must retreat into the realm of RTS and Neverwinter style RPG's.

Fight on my younger friends, but beware those who may mock my post, for your time will come too and if im still able to see my keyboard to type i will post lots of 'I told you so' replies :)

Yours in crumbling ineptitude

Tam

Comments

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Ahhh...but alas there is a ray of hope.  While reflex and hand/eye cooridination do go hand in hand (is there a pun in there somewhere?), much of what is done is based off motor-memory.  Obviously if you have not played in a while the game is going to "come at you faster."  Just keep practicing and you will find your level of skill rising again, maybe not to their previous pwning levels but increased none-the-less.

Good luck fight the good fight and keep the Reaper at bay...

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835
    I think it has more to do with you not playing them in awhile. I'm almost 35 and I have no problems. I've beeen playing the FPS games more than MMOs that past few years. As you play more it will come back to you.

• TamalanTamalan Member Posts: 1,117
    Hey now, I didnt say i was giving up :)

But advice recognised and recieved, i will fight on, especially now i have got to the Naboo stage and have a crack at fixing Natalie Portmans wooden acting in my sights.

Thanks for the support fellow wrinklies and coffin dodgers.
  • DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Even I, at 19 years old would suck at FPS games if I were to come in after not playing them for awhile..at 36 years old your reaction time shouldn't have deteriorated to the point where you can no longer be competetive at first person shooters.  Right now I'm really good at battlefield 2, but if I were to take a month off and then come back, I would have to become good at the game again...it's just one of those things where it's easy to lose your edge...and it varies from shooter to shooter as well, a year ago I would have owned anyone in my dorm at a game of Halo, but now that I havn't played it in 6 months or so, I doubt that I could remain competetive with anyone who is any good at the game...it's just a matter of getting back into the groove

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• GamewizeGamewize Member Posts: 956

Pfft, there are 80 year old gamers. Train up and brace your will, and christ in a can will you rise again!

I think it's the objective of your past self to make you cringe.