Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Revelations Without a Hitch

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

CCP, the maker of EVE Online have announced that their expansion, Revelations was released without issue on the "massive Tranquility super-computer cluster" on the 28th (Tuesday).

EVE Online: Revelations

CCP Announces Major Expansion to EVE Online

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND - November 30th, 2006 - CCP, the world's largest independent game developer, today announced that EVE Online®: Revelations was successfully released on the massive Tranquility super-computer cluster on Tuesday, November 28th. The large scale upgrade took 24 hours to complete and went through without any technical problems. The new expansion is available free of charge to all EVE players.

"Revelations is an extraordinarily massive expansion. Not only will it make it a great deal easier for new players to join the world of EVE Online but the more experienced inhabitants of EVE will also see some drastic changes in warfare operations, in direct trading, exploration and socialization." said Magnus Bergsson, CMO of CCP. "With gamers becoming more sophisticated and wanting a deeper and more rewarding gaming experience, we believe that through our continued development we rise to the challenge to meet increasingly sophisticated customer demand."

Revelations, previously code-named "Kali", is a large-scale expansion and among the more noticeable features are:

• Vastly improved New Player Experience. New players will find it a lot easier to start playing EVE with a completely revamped character creation and game introduction. New characters now enter the game with more skills and will therefore be able to jump into action even quicker than before.
  • Improved legal system through the introduction of formal Contracts. Players will be able to enter into traceable, limited trust relationships to create missions and business opportunities like auctions, item exchanges, courier and loans.
  • Improved Fleet Combat Organization. New tactical features, management tools, squadrons, wings and fleets open up new ways for users to engage in warfare.
  • All ships, both NPC and PC, will now leave behind wreckage upon destruction, which can be salvaged by pilots with the know-how and proper tools.
  • A fully integrated voice communication system offering crystal clear quality will be made available shortly after the release.
  • New classes of Battleships and Battlecruisers have been added for each race.

"Revelations is by far our biggest expansion to date. Compared to when we launched the game, we have five times as many employees at CCP contributing to the continuing evolution of EVE Online,&says Nathan Richardsson, Senior Producer at CCP. "We have years of material and improvements lined up for EVE, and Revelations is a good example of what can be achieved with this increased production capacity. This is just the beginning."

EVE Online®: Revelations is the first in series of three expansions that will lead up to the final chapter of Revelations that will among other things bring factional warfare to empire space.

Some additional features in EVE Online®: Revelations are:

• Exploration has been made more rewarding with hundreds of hidden locations, encounters and resources, and the ability to utilize hacking, salvaging and archeology to find hints for more secret locations.
  • Ship Rigs, components and materials from Salvaging shipwrecks are used to create Rigs that allow you to outfit your ship for specific roles.
  • Illegal Combat Boosters introduced through deep space search for gas clouds to harvest materials and process them at player -owned Starbases.
  • 8 new regions have opened, infested with Rogue Drones, ripe for EVE pilots to command or conquer
  • Optimizations to core systems and many general improvements

The new expansion may be downloaded from the EVE Online web site free of charge at http://www.eve-online.com. CCP is also releasing a new trailer for the new expansion and can be viewed http://ccp.vo.llnwd.net/o2/video/2/EVERevelationsTrailer.wmv

For more on EVE Online click here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    Glad to see smaller companies making great products.

/respect, CCP

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• slakslak Member Posts: 83
    Without a hitch? Then how come the game crashes almost everytime i undock or make a jump? The game is unplayable for me until a hotfix arrives.

• GonodilGonodil Member Posts: 335

Originally posted by slak
    Without a hitch? Then how come the game crashes almost everytime i undock or make a jump? The game is unplayable for me until a hotfix arrives.

As long as the servers dont melt after a new patch, the industry considers that as going off without a hitch.

Your inability to play the game you payed for isnt factored in.

• AerofluffAerofluff Member CommonPosts: 1

Without a hitch? *Snicker* I couldn't even log in the first time, there was so much lag -- and I assure you, it's not from my end, but due to the hundreds of players trying to simultaneously log in and move about the galaxy -- that it timed out and I had to try again, which got me into the station where I'd been docked, but none of the windows worked because the game was too laggy to load information... So I just logged out.

I suppose they consider it "going off without a hitch" if the mechanics function properly and some players are in the galaxy and barely capable of movement... But that's still unnecessary touting and not touching on the negative aspect, such as how their "supercomputer cluster" isn't so super afterall and can barely handle that many players logging in at noon on a weekday. God knows what it was like at peak hours, because I didn't even bother.

• LeJohnLeJohn Member Posts: 313

Did nobody else notice that none of the missing BPO and Skills that make up Kali were seeded?

Ok, salvaging is in but none of the slikkes required to use the salvage to make rigs. Invention anyone? OH lets do the new path, all we need is to start using scan probes to start finding the hidden fields and complexes... Oh thats not in game also.

Ok what they did was show up with a big fancy wrapped EMPTY box... YEA the box is here, the empty box got delivered without a hitch WooPee!image

Say wasnt Invention also supposed to stablize and break the T2 monlopy? Did anyone read the Dev notes? Sure you will be able to invent something... maybe after a year of trying and spending 3x what you spend just to buy the BP. image

Revelations, just another page in the Prat welfare program.

Doh.. please ignore the spelling ppl. I admit it I am POed.. I only came back to EVE because CCP said that they were finally going to add Reverse Enginnering (3 years after promiced)

• vickykolvickykol Member UncommonPosts: 106

If by "without a hitch" one means that a large number of users cannot even reach the login screen without the client crashing (look at the dozens of posts on the message boards) or the large number of users who cannot log on even if they reach the login screen, then I guess it is true.

CCP recommends that those of us who cannot log on download a full client, delete our present one and then reinstall.  Some people are doing that 3 or 4 times before giving up.

Honestly, this is the worst patch disaster in any of the dozen or so MMORPGs that I have played.

Honey, was it good for you, too?

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

I logged in promptly after the server coming up for the first time. 

I experianced no lag.

I did not crash.

All features functioned seemlessly without delay; note: chat window behaved oddly for about 2 minutes.

^that is without a hitch!  :)

So far so good. 

I've heard of some players having issues with crashing 'cs they hadn't updated their version of DirectX.  Others are havbing issues with duel core CPUs which is a common occurance for those types of processors; setting to a single core should be a temp fix.

• fuzzykrisfuzzykris Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by LeJohn
    Did nobody else notice that none of the missing BPO and Skills that make up Kali were seeded? Ok, salvaging is in but none of the slikkes required to use the salvage to make rigs. Invention anyone? OH lets do the new path, all we need is to start using scan probes to start finding the hidden fields and complexes... Oh thats not in game also. Ok what they did was show up with a big fancy wrapped EMPTY box... YEA the box is here, the empty box got delivered without a hitch WooPee!image   Say wasnt Invention also supposed to stablize and break the T2 monlopy? Did anyone read the Dev notes? Sure you will be able to invent something... maybe after a year of trying and spending 3x what you spend just to buy the BP. image Revelations, just another page in the Prat welfare program. Doh.. please ignore the spelling ppl. I admit it I am POed.. I only came back to EVE because CCP said that they were finally going to add Reverse Enginnering (3 years after promiced)  
    Umm, have you actually logged in?  All the stuff is there.  I can understand complaining about the lag and some of the actual bugs that are there - and it definitely sucks for those relative few who have client crashes.  It's certainly not a perfect deployment - but its quite functional.  As for those idiots stuck in Jita - well its kinda their fault - everyone knows the load in Jita is a problem but the people who hang out their never leave despite it.

As for your invention rant this looks like total BS.  Think things through a little - a skilled based chance to convert a T1 BPC into a lower quality T2 BPC.  All you need is one hard to get but reuseable Data Interface and a bunch of fairly easy to get Datacores - you can throw in some other items to improve your chances.  Unless the chance is really low it shouldn't take that much to make T2 BPC once you have the needed interface.  Of course your T2 productivity won't be all that impressive if you are trying to this all by yourself.

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

The new probes and probe skills are seeded, they forgot to add a market group for the Recon Probe Launcher I but you can do without that item for the time being.

Btw the reason they did not delete the insta bookmarks for people are because there are over 280 million of them and if they where to sort out and delete only the once within 40km of a gate/station as they said it would take them almost 700 hours with on other access to the DB (that's almost a month long down time :) ).

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

I am so glad I am not playing eve at the moment.  One of my friends has been complaining for the last two days of frequent lockups and crashes when using jumps / accelerators / undocking.

A week ago it was "Chris, Chris, come back to EVE it is great!" image

This week =  "8^$$ing eve, I might as well go back to everquest"  image

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• AskatanAskatan Member Posts: 313

Originally posted by Aerofluff
    Without a hitch? *Snicker* I couldn't even log in the first time, there was so much lag -- and I assure you, it's not from my end, but due to the hundreds of players trying to simultaneously log in and move about the galaxy -- that it timed out and I had to try again, which got me into the station where I'd been docked, but none of the windows worked because the game was too laggy to load information... So I just logged out. I suppose they consider it "going off without a hitch" if the mechanics function properly and some players are in the galaxy and barely capable of movement... But that's still unnecessary touting and not touching on the negative aspect, such as how their "supercomputer cluster" isn't so super afterall and can barely handle that many players logging in at noon on a weekday. God knows what it was like at peak hours, because I didn't even bother.

I have been online after 10 minutes after revelations went live. there was NO LAG and no crashes for me or the people I talked to (a lot). we all were surprised about how well the servers worked. either you logged on in Jita with 800 other idiots, which is so stupid I wont even comment, or you are a liar.

every system except Jita was fine. that's about 99.99999% of EVE.

no patchday ever went that well.

• NaarNaar Member UncommonPosts: 165
    No problems here. Definately the most bug fee expansion they have released so far.

• thaylonthaylon Member Posts: 11
    Errm.. I dont know what the 1st posters are on about....  I had no lag, no proplems (had to change my depth buffer, but thats it).

Its been the smoothest patch in 3 years.

I had 1 member out of 30 in my corp that had to install the full client, and that was that.

Good job CCP from The Rat Pack.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,348
    Some people are having crash issues when jumping, some with dual cores
    are having issues. They are fixing both of those problems next tuesday
    with a small bugfix patch. I'm sorry you got the shit end of the stick
    this time but it is being looked after.

Umm, have you actually logged in?  All the stuff is there

So all the skills, BPOs and the rest of stuff are seeded you say.. Can you please take a snapshot of the market were you are show me the skill Amarr Encription Methods being available. This is just one of the skills necessary to use the invent skill.

Invention <===example screenshot

No?  Ok the take a screenshot of a snoop probe BPO or for that matter any Probe BPO other than the warp probe.  No? Ok then show me a Probe launcher BPO on the market,, ether one will do. NO?  That’s just the tip of the iceberg; those players that do not manufacture seem to believe that because the ships and weapons got tweaked then Kali is here. Yes the fighting stuff is in but almost None of the other stuff that Kali was supposed to add, the non-fighting stuff, is on Trinity. Its on SISI and works there so why was it not included?

All you need is one hard to get but reuseable Data Interface

Your one of the guys that think BvP (EVEs excuse for PVP) is all that should be done because your statement shows that you have no idea what your talking about. Look at the screenshot above; see where it says 100% DMG. That means that when you try everything that has 100% DMG will be destroyed.  If it doesn’t work then you just wasted all that time and materials.. Gone, poof, nothing to show for it but wasted time. How much time? Look at the screen shot, see the Occult Ship Data Interface, go do some research in what is required to get 1 just 1 and when you are better informed then come back and make your argument. FYI, it will take a mid sized corp almost 6 months to get all the parts just to try, not to create, just to try and make a limited T2 BPC.  Again if you do not mfg the you don’t understand that there is more to EVE than just going Pew Pew Pew.

I have been online after 10 minutes after revelations went live. there was NO LAG and no crashes for me or the people I talked to (a lot). we all were surprised about how well the servers worked. either you logged on in Jita with 800 other idiots, which is so stupid I wont even comment, or you are a liar

Ok did you not see the log on screen where CCP stated ON the log on screen “We know about the connection and lag issues so we are throttling back the amount of players that can log on until these issues are resolved” My god are you Fanboies so blinded that you will not even accept that there is a problem even when it comes from CCP’s mouths?

Some people are having crash issues when jumping, some with dual cores are having issues. They are fixing both of those problems next tuesday with a small bugfix patch. I'm sorry you got the shit end of the stick this time but it is being looked after.

Ok, when CCP has to post that there is an issue it’s not some people its most of the players having the issue.

Yes some lucky players had zero (0) problems but most of the players were like me, I logged on waited in que for 20 min (played WOW until I heard the log on tone), undocked CTD.  

My experince:

I logged on and nevre got past the logon screen,  so I gave up for a few hours and played BF21

Got back into the login Que, 18 min flew to the first gate (warp to 0 loved it) went thru jumped to next gate CTD.

Logged in to Que, only 8 min this time. Jumped to gate and the next 2 no probs except lag (flew backwards several times)

Jumped to base using dock cmd (I was starting to fell good about Kali) CTD docking, 23 min que, dock in base only 2 other players in the system.

Go to check the market to start buying skills, market window hangs and CTD.  I finally get the market open and start looking for all the skills and BPOs that we MFGs need.

They have salvaging skill seeded,,, WOOHOO that’s it none of the other skills I don’t already have are seeded,  I have been using probes for years so lvl5 did not check to see if that skill is available. I am survey 5 so start training salvage and start looking for the other skills and BPOs…

Build 10 salvager 1s and 20 min later I have replaced my Probe launcher with a salvager and start testing. It is worse than I thought: It will take a player 5-10 months to get ALL the parts required to build just 1 rig.  Below are screen shots from one of the test runs. I destroyed 100 ships of all types and the simple truth is that you have just as much chance as getting 1 unit of scrap metal from a frig as you do from a carrier.  You also have the same chance of getting nothing, zero zip from salvaging a dreadnaught as salvaging a punisher.   

I know that the group of EVE that only care about fighting don’t care or understand why this is so wrong but keep in mind that those that would be the ones interested in invention and rigging are not the ones that are interested in fighting and thus are not the ones that would be interesting in salvaging.  A salvager is a high spot mount, what fighter in his right mind would loose a gun/missle slot and the people that are interested in salvaging are not skilled in fighting.  This is the equivalent of taking your medic or engineer and saying “you lead the charge up the mountain” Now to be fair I did find 120 probes on the market in 1 and only 1 system in my region. It’s a .3 system with 28 Pod destroyed in the last 24 hours and 14 people camping the gates.  Do any of you know what a Judas goat is? So far that’s all Kali is turning out to be, a Judas Goat.image

http://home.comcast.net/~moongate01/kali06.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~moongate01/kali07.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~moongate01/kali08.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~moongate01/kali09.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~moongate01/kali10.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~moongate01/kali11.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~moongate01/kali12.jpg

Amarr encryption method is a rare skill, you get if from complexes and similar and yes it is in the game.
    The snoop probe doesn't need a bpo because it's sold by npc, the new exploration probe bpos are in (I have manufactured over a 1000 of them already.
    The recon probe launcher is missing but you can easily do without it.

• WoodenDummyWoodenDummy Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by vickykolHonestly, this is the worst patch disaster in any of the dozen or so MMORPGs that I have played. Honey, was it good for you, too?

You can't have played many of the main MMO's if you think this is bad, this is just a case of mild patch blues next to some of the bloopers SOE and co have given us over the years.

the new exploration probe bpos are in (I have manufactured over a 1000 of them already.

Where did you find them? I have checked for the scan probe BPOs all over Amarr space, not a single one is available here.  And if you look I did say that the snoop was being sold in a .3 system with a huge amount of ships and pods destroyed, hello can you say Trap.

So you have run a complex and got an ecription skill? So far on the EVE forum no one has found one. I remember back in 03, the DEVS said "Reverse Enginering" is in game now, you just have to know where to find it. 3 years later they finly admitted that it was not only never in game but never going to be implemented.

So do you know first hand that it is in game, or are you just regurgitating the party (EVE Fanboies) lines?

the new exploration probe bpos are in (I have manufactured over a 1000 of them already.

Where did you find them? I have checked for the scan probe BPOs all over Amarr space, not a single one is available here. And if you look I did say that the snoop was being sold in a .3 system with a huge amount of ships and pods destroyed, hello can you say Trap.

I don't know what to say, the exploration probe bpos are sold all over Caldari space. Basically every Concord station have them. Same with snoop etc (not bpos here yet, just the probes), sold at every concord/ded station in caldari space and when I was living in minmatar space every concord station had them as well. Never lived in amarr space so I can't comment on that.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,348

Originally posted by Mcgreag

Where did you find them? I have checked for the scan probe BPOs all over Amarr space, not a single one is available here. And if you look I did say that the snoop was being sold in a .3 system with a huge amount of ships and pods destroyed, hello can you say Trap.

I don't know what to say, the exploration probe bpos are sold all over Caldari space. Basically every Concord station have them. Same with snoop etc (not bpos here yet, just the probes), sold at every concord/ded station in caldari space and when I was living in minmatar space every concord station had them as well. Never lived in amarr space so I can't comment on that.

All over Gallente space too. I think people are severely underestimating how many wreck parts are going to be salvaged by players that have no plans to manufacture rigs. Hell you can practically make a career out of salvaging other peoples wrecks left behind from missions if you take the time to scan them out. It's not going to happen overnight though, the patch only been on live for like a week ffs.
  • chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

If anyone is still having issues this is the extreme trick I tried on my friends PC to get this working.

Reinstalled NVIDIA 6800 drivers & Soundcard drivers

Reinstalled DX direct from DX site

Ran DXDIAG to see if everything was as it should be.  It was.  Sisoft Sandra also confirmed all was well.

Uninstalled and Reinstalled EVE Client  (updates/patching took forever)  Ate Pizza / Drank Ice cold Cola while EVE patched.

Switched off PC.  Opened up the PC and gave it a de-dust with an airspray, not that I think that helped but the machine needed it.

Then EVE played smoothly for 2 hours although there was a loss of sound for a while after a warp.  Sound returned after docking and undocking.  No other issues that I know of (I left him to it).

I am not sure which of the above actions did the trick but I suspect it was the spicy chicken pizza.

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• Dark_ShikariDark_Shikari Member Posts: 18
    Without a hitch?  Yeah... right.

However, this time, most of the hitches were after the first few hours/first day, and they weren't as bad as usual for an expansion.  So overall I think it turned out pretty well.