Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why classic servers?

Im thinking of coming back to DAOC after a couple of years break. wondering why everyone says to make a char on the classic servers?

Comments

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    They are populated. You dont have the TOA crap image and its always fun on a classic server. RThey are extremely fun to play on.
  • phlcarlphlcarl Member Posts: 37
    when i was playing i didnt find toa to be too bad, but i want to be where the pop is atimage

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Well, number one reason of course is population, but you could still find a decent size crowd on Lancelot or Merlin if you really want to play TOA. (most of us don't)

Second, buffs have a limited range on classic servers, so there are few buff-bots around.. which many of us like. (no walking dead standing around the portal keeps)

Third, no /level command ...which means you'll find people leveling up in the lowbie areas.... it won't be a ghost town.  (with all the new quests and tasks now, its pretty cool)

Fourth, housing is stupidly expensive on Gareth, I had to pay 14 plat for my lot.  Wait...thats a bad thing...

Oh well, small price to pay for the first three benefits....easier to get a house on Lamorak or Ector, but you'll have to create your character on them to buy a house there.  (there are portals you can use to teleport between the 3 servers instantly.)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• phlcarlphlcarl Member Posts: 37
    I C

• noblotnoblot Member Posts: 287

I found TOA quite fun, but then I only did it on one toon - and didn't get that far on the MLs.
    However I switched to Classic servers because they were new at the time. Without a doubt, there is much better balance, any buffbots have to be towed around (so you can kill them); of course you are still going to get creamed by high RR players, but at least you might get to fight back first :)
    Finally, there is a better population, as well as most new players head for classics too.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    I think the main reason is because of the population.  A common
    complaint from new players is that they never see anyone and they can
    never group.  On the classic servers because of its high
    population these are less of an issue. 

You can group on the original servers as well, even at low
    levels.  The game appears much more barren because the population
    is so spread out.  Further, it will take more work to get a
    group.  Getting into a good guild/alliance is the best way to do
    this. 

Contrary to most on here, I would say that the RvR on the original
    servers is better.  I am not sure it is better to the extent that
    it warrents all the costs the new player is going to have to
    endure.  It is harder to get the perfect template.  You need
    to do a lot of work in ToA (but not as much as people think).

After you get to 50 on the classic servers if you have a lot of play
    time then you might want to try one of the original servers, but I
    would not recomend it for a first time player. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by JulianDracos

Contrary to most on here, I would say that the RvR on the original servers is better. 

Obviously posted by someone who won't give up his buffbot  image

Naw, he probably likes playing over in TOA.... swimming underwater, etc... it was pretty cool... just a bit tedious.... 

But if you want to get into the pvp action faster.. I'm still voting for classic servers

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by JulianDracos

Contrary to most on here, I would say that the RvR on the original servers is better. 
    Obviously posted by someone who won't give up his buffbot  image

Naw, he probably likes playing over in TOA.... swimming underwater, etc... it was pretty cool... just a bit tedious.... 

But if you want to get into the pvp action faster.. I'm still voting for classic servers

Do
    not have a buffbot.  I actually find ToA to be a huge hassle and
    is my least favorite expansion.  The time it takes to get to RvR
    on the regulaer servers is longer but not that much longer. 

Why I would say it is better it because of more abilities that are
    gained.  Not to mention the fonts that are gained by ML. 
    With my power caps I can max out on shrooms without running out of
    power.  I have two artis that give me power back.  I also
    have 2 RA that give me power back.  On top of that I have power
    font (something I cannot give up) so I never run out of power. 
    The heal fonts are nice as well. 

Speedwarp provides some interesting ways to escape from others. 
    There are some other nifty things you can do that add strategy to
    things.  So this is why I prefer the RvR action here. 

The greatest imbalances are cause by RA's.  MoS makes it worthless to play assassin classes for example. 

• jeeperzjeeperz Member Posts: 71

I have  played classic and the toa ones and I am one of them that doesn't think that its so wonderful.

I DO like it that the bots are under control there. 

I have never had any trouble finding people to play with on the other servers - ever - altho it appears that some have. 

I suggest try them both and decide for yourself!  I think its unfortunate that when someone post here asking about the game a few  insist that classic is the only way to go -- for them maybe - but maybe not for all.   There are many that DO enjoy the TOA content and it is very different now than when it first came out.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    New players should NEVER play ToA servers...everyone on those servers is 50 already, and that means the newbies would have to solo and suck in PvP, because they do not have a bot.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

A lot of Newer people are told to start on the classic server for the fact that you can't /level to 20 on classic servers, you have to actually play from level 1 on each character. Meaning there are plenty of people in the lower level hunting grounds and lower level bg's as well. That and the fact that people enjoy pvp without the TOA a lot better as well. Without TOA its a lot slower and more thought out. I played all my characters on classic servers and enjoyed every bit of it.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."