Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Issue 8: Veteran Rewards Preview

Laura Genender looks at Veteran Rewards in anticipating of tomorrow's big expansion. Issue #8: To Serve and Protect is a largely City of Heroes focused expansion. When we last spoke to Cryptic at AGC, they told us that from here on out players can expect the expansion to be equally focused across both sides.

image Introduced with the "Issue 8: To Protect and Serve" expansion to City of Heroes and City of Villains, Cryptic Studios will be implementing a Veteran Award system that rewards players based on how long they've had an activated account for the duo of games. These rewards range from costume pieces to special powers to extra base items, including a lot of novelty items that City of Heroes and Villains fans have been anticipating since the opening of the game.

That's right, we're talking wings.

The full article is here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Must...resist...urge...to rejoin...can't...must resist...

Resistance isn't futile...resist...resist....RESIST!  image

Check: Aggravated enough toward the PvP enforcement to resist for now...better find a game fix to resist longer...

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• GenkaarlGenkaarl Member Posts: 16
    Bad if they want new players, but guess they werent getting many of these so it's good way to keep these customers who they already have paying.

• All I can say is yuck, yuck and yuck again. I can't believe they would limit something as essental to a character as wings to veterans. Who would want to subscribe to a game knowing they can only play the character they really want after a year or two to get the veteran rewards. Not to mention giving powers to veterans would create a huge unbalance between old and new, in any hopes for player vs player hero/villan style.
  • Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

Issue 8 went live today...veteran rewards are available right now...as well as everything else in Issue 8.

Check out the patch notes if you don't believe me:
    http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/patch_notes.html

oh yeah...not to mention the forum post about it:
    http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7081387&an=0&page=0#Post7081387

and I can confirm this is already live on the servers...my account is up to the Loyal (12 month) level of veteran rewards....3 months shy of the wings...damnit.

Veteran rewards are always something people complain about...especially if they are new to a game or haven't been playing for long.

• DemonOvrlordDemonOvrlord Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by Guler
    All I can say is yuck, yuck and yuck again. I can't believe they would limit something as essental to a character as wings to veterans. Who would want to subscribe to a game knowing they can only play the character they really want after a year or two to get the veteran rewards. Not to mention giving powers to veterans would create a huge unbalance between old and new, in any hopes for player vs player hero/villan style.

Agreed.  And this marketing ploy didn't keep me playing, I cancelled. 

Note that I would have qualified for wings in one more month but I quit in disgust at seeing them place that vital costume component as a reward.  That's garbage. 

The costume-creation process is the one thing that makes the CoH/V game stand out and they want to turn the most requested addition for it into a ploy to keep players.

Didn't work with me. 

• Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by DemonOvrlord
    Originally posted by Guler All I can say is yuck, yuck and yuck again. I can't believe they would limit something as essental to a character as wings to veterans. Who would want to subscribe to a game knowing they can only play the character they really want after a year or two to get the veteran rewards. Not to mention giving powers to veterans would create a huge unbalance between old and new, in any hopes for player vs player hero/villan style.
    Agreed. And this marketing ploy didn't keep me playing, I cancelled.
    Note that I would have qualified for wings in one more month but I quit in disgust at seeing them place that vital costume component as a reward. That's garbage.
    The costume-creation process is the one thing that makes the CoH/V game stand out and they want to turn the most requested addition for it into a ploy to keep players.
    Didn't work with me.

you must have been already ready to quit if that kind of thing forced you to quit...

what keeps me playing is the game itself...not stuff like this...I find the game fun...if you don't you shouldn't be playing anyway...if the addition of a simple costume option is something that would make the game fun to you...perhaps you should go find a ball of yarn to play with...you're obviously easily amused...

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Anofalye
    Must...resist...urge...to rejoin...can't...must resist...   Resistance isn't futile...resist...resist....RESIST!  image   Check: Aggravated enough toward the PvP enforcement to resist for now...better find a game fix to resist longer...

lol...just watched Superman Returns....I just got suckered into reactivating it lol. 

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221

Originally posted by DemonOvrlord
    All I can say is yuck, yuck and yuck again. I can't believe they would limit something as essental to a character as wings to veterans. Who would want to subscribe to a game knowing they can only play the character they really want after a year or two to get the veteran rewards. Not to mention giving powers to veterans would create a huge unbalance between old and new, in any hopes for player vs player hero/villan style.

Agreed.  And this marketing ploy didn't keep me playing, I cancelled. 

Note that I would have qualified for wings in one more month but I quit in disgust at seeing them place that vital costume component as a reward.  That's garbage. 

Didn't work with me. 

They mucked up actually.  They started talking about wings and promising them as a feature of I8 way early.  Then they realised that the 'invention' (AKA crafting) system wouldn't be ready.  Wings were to be part of the invention system, which includes a lot of costume pieces (presumed craftable) to include wings.  Instead of turning around and saying it'd be another issue 'till wings, they just 'teasered' them by having them as a vet reward.

<shrug>  Fun times.

• docupuncturedocupuncture Member Posts: 12
    LoL i8 will not affect pvp at all. Most of the rewards are mostly looks. The wings (although cool) are just costume pieces and do not give you powers. In addition this game does not force you to PVP so whoever said that is wrong. Oh and wings are not essential to chartacter creation... I have been playing for 2 years with out wings.
  • MidavegMidaveg Member Posts: 296

Wings is just a cape replacement... nothing biggie. I love the pets tho for the 36th month.. rikti monkey is cute :P

All canceled. Waiting on Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning.

• VallenarVallenar Member Posts: 124
    Sounds cool to me.
  • XandorXandor Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I do recall seeing a redname post (don't remember where it is right now) that the two sets of wings that are in the veteran's rewards are not the only wings that are going to be in game.

Everyone will get a chance to have wings, it's just the Veteran's wings got there first.

• UnSubUnSub Member Posts: 252

For those who want to know what the full set of wing types CoH/V will have once I9 is out, there is a video on YouTube that shows them -

As others have said, the only advantage of the Veteran Rewards wings is 1) veterans get them before everyone else and (as yet unmentioned) 2) a veteran player can give their character wings at lvl 1. Other than that, they are purely cosmetic.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by Enigma

Originally posted by Anofalye

Must...resist...urge...to rejoin...can't...must resist...

Resistance isn't futile...resist...resist....RESIST!  image

Check: Aggravated enough toward the PvP enforcement to resist for now...better find a game fix to resist longer...

lol...just watched Superman Returns....I just got suckered into reactivating it lol. 

Ahhhhh...can't lower my guard...resist I must!  *holding breath* image

EDIT: found my game fixe with Civ Mod: Rhys and Fall of civilisation, all made and adapted for Warlord, kinda awesome. :)  Will prolly last me quite a few still. Finish 1 game with China, want to try others.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• rawguttsrawgutts Member Posts: 44
    Well I am a damn sucker also..  I signed back up yesterday and canceled today. 

Why you say? With in 3 hours I had 2 client crashes and 3 map disconnects.. I want my 14 bucks back damn it all..

Freaking sad that is still happening today.

• XeroshadowXeroshadow Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by rawgutts
    Well I am a damn sucker also..  I signed back up yesterday and canceled today. 

Why you say? With in 3 hours I had 2 client crashes and 3 map disconnects.. I want my 14 bucks back damn it all..

Freaking sad that is still happening today.

Yep, too bad every Issue is marred by performance problems.  I had upgraded twice during CoH and the first upgrade did nothing(around Issue 6) then in Issue 7 I finally upgraded to dual-core.  Find the Anandtech article on City of Villains and the Ageia card.  They were right that this game is CPU limited not GPU.  I went from around  20fps to always getting 30-60fps......that was all destroyed with the release of Issue 8.  I thought it was because it took out the -renderthread 1 on everyone''s shortcut but I reactivated it so it uses both cores annnnd no noticeable increase in performance.  Now getting around 20-25fps.

Faultline - meh. must be because the after 30 grind gets to everyone so they keep putting off level 50 content

Police Band - nice short missions and good way to earn Prestige quicker for your SG

Safeguard missions - they are ok

Costume additions - more fluff and making the character generation and changing costumer more important than it needs to be.  doesn't add to gameplay imo.

Vet Rewards - tried them and unimpressed

I would rate this Issue only slightly more exciting than Issue 4.  Some people will spin it as a 45 more levels of content because of the Police Band missions and a new zone but when it comes down to having played this game for a few months you will not really notice any change to the gameplay.  Going from contact to contact for missions there is just not anything different/nothing you could not do before.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
        Ah the world progresses agian! I love how each issue the game world takes into account whats occured before. Not many games take the time to do that with there updates. Overall I love the Police Band radio. I feel like I can Inhabit the areas of the world I want and pick where I fight and defend. Rather then chase around contacts. Very nice. Hrmm all and all the Safeguard missions didnt strike me as all to fun. The costumes are awesome. Frankly thats what makes the game CoX. Since who you are, how you look and how you act really defines what you are in CoX it really matters alot. Hrmm not to bugged I cant have wings yet. There coming out in I9 so whats the big deal lol.
    Lol is a bit sad my guild leaders keep popping on my head like giant Pigeons! DAMN YOU LEADERRRR!!!image

As for the Fps drop.. hrmm havent noticed one yet. Nor any crashes or lag. Its so random really. Some Issues I get lag, some I dont*Shrugs*