Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you want a battlestar galactica mmorpg?

Ok i know they're coming out with a star trek mmorpg, and a stargate mmorpg, and they already did SWG, so when are they going to do Battlestar Galactica!!

It's my thought that they make the game so that u can choose to be either Cylon or Human, and then you fight the story line and stuff, it'd be sick!!!

Comments

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

hell ya, but not this old battlestar

i want cylons to be in their shiney chrome robot suits and a lot of the old school battlestar stuff. this new rendition flat out sucks

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by Rayx0r
    hell ya, but not this old battlestar i want cylons to be in their shiney chrome robot suits and a lot of the old school battlestar stuff. this new rendition flat out sucks
    What?  The *NEW* battlestar galatica still has Cylons in "shinny chrome robot suits" but some are human, oh well it still runs circles around the old 'some of these people actually got paid for that acting' Battlestar...I mean seriously trying to watch the old Battlestar towards the end was painfull. Ok im done ranting...

To answer the OP I would love for this to hit the MMORPG world, as long as it has PVP..

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550
    Battlestar Galactica and EVE have striking similarities when it comes to combat.

BSG just doesnt lag.

• War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941
    As much as I prefer sci fi to fantasy settings I have to vote no. I tried watching an episode of the new series and with plotlines like the cylons capturing women to get them pregnant and thinking that to reproduce themselves that they need to be in love I wish I hadn't watched even that one episode.
  • Jade6Jade6 Member Posts: 429

Yeah, the new one kinda sucked, eventhough the 3 episode pilot looked kinda cool at places. But I hated the female Starbuck, so I just couldn't watch the series anyway; I had to stop watching every time she appeared on the screen.

There may be something in it for a MMO since it's at least epic enough to be interesting (as opposed to most modern "scifi" that's more or less modern day or even 18th century america in space with funny costumes) but the problem is where would your character live? I mean the colonies were bombed to oblivion, and there would not be any cylons if the game was set before they arrived, so you would be stuck in the Battlestar. And that thingie was moving through space all the time, so all content would go obsolete in a day or two as the ship just keeps going and you have to stick with it. The only way I could see it work would be if it was set in the first war 40 years before the events of the new series, but there's like zero material on that time period I think. Babylon 5 or even Aliens might work better as a MMO.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Have to say I've been super unimpressed with the BSG series on sci-fi.  It's just too out-there for my tastes.  They're trying to get too wacky with it, have been since like the 3rd or 4th episode of season 1 and it's gone pretty much all downhill from there.

It sickens me that Sci-Fi canned SG1 but kept BSG.

As for an MMO.....

I dunno... it'd be hard to pull off an MMO for BSG it's a pretty fixed universe with only 1 goal:  Find Earth. 

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Would this BSG game be filled with overly emotional effeminate men and cold manly women like the new tv show is?

I voted no. It's not the dumbest show on TV right now but it's pretty damn close.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by Taram
    Have to say I've been super unimpressed with the BSG series on sci-fi.  It's just too out-there for my tastes.  They're trying to get too wacky with it, have been since like the 3rd or 4th episode of season 1 and it's gone pretty much all downhill from there.

As for an MMO.....

I dunno... it'd be hard to pull off an MMO for BSG it's a pretty fixed universe with only 1 goal:  Find Earth. 

It should 'sicken' you more that Sci-Fi keeps Wrestling on and shows like Eureka, Dead like me or Super-Hero reality TV shows.. .... Instead of wishing that they canned another show that is actually.. Sci-fi...image

People just don't make sense to me anymore......

________________________________________________________________________________________
    Originally posted by RollinDutch
    Battlestar Galactica and EVE have striking similarities when it comes to combat.

BSG just doesnt lag.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

Ususally a MMORPG has to actually 'exist' before it can lag.....This is what im talking about..

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• freynolds86freynolds86 Member Posts: 5
    I voted no because I think the show's horrible and I think the game would be just as lame.

• thombrinkthombrink Member Posts: 5
    I think it would be a great mmorpg!  I really like the show and I think they have a lot to work with in regards to the story and the characters.  

• NeoKyosuke18NeoKyosuke18 Member Posts: 204
    personally I love BSG, but the thought of an MMORPG based on it...  eerrrrrrrr...

Who would make it?!

Honestly all the companies out there, who would you trust to make it
    well?  sony? HA, blizzard?  hell no.   NCsoft...
    myeahhh...

I just don't see any dev. companies out there I would trust w/ the title.

Also there are a lot of people who are into PVP,  would you do
    like blizzard and give players the option of 2 factions? 

Humans: fleeing the cylons in search of earth or a means to an end.

Cylons:  chasing the humans to annihilate them.

the probably you can already see is that the people who love Role
    Playing in MMORPG's will stick w/ humans.  The big game fans would
    primarily go to human.  Where as the PVP buffs and stupid pricks
    would pick Cylon.

There is a huge fan base for PVP in mmorpg's currently and thus the
    population would be severaly one sided... that is if it were popular,
    which given the right company it could be, but back to the first
    question.. Who would make it?!

• tdouglas418tdouglas418 Member Posts: 5
    Voting no on this. Even if I could play a Cylon there's too many games based on movies and stuff (LOTR anyone??). Be original devs!!
  • TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by Tinybina
    Originally posted by Taram

As for an MMO.....

It should 'sicken' you more that Sci-Fi keeps Wrestling on and shows like Eureka, Dead like me or Super-Hero reality TV shows.. .... Instead of wishing that they canned another show that is actually.. Sci-fi...image

People just don't make sense to me anymore......

________________________________________________________________________________________
    Originally posted by RollinDutch

BSG just doesnt lag.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

Ususally a MMORPG has to actually 'exist' before it can lag.....This is what im talking about..

Excuse me?  Where did I say that I wished they had cancelled BSG?  I said it sickens me that they chose to keep BSG over SG1.... I'd rather keep BSG, SG1, SGA etc and lose Wrestling any day of the week.  I still haven't figured out how wrestling is 'sci fi' and I've written the producers a couple times asking why we're being shown wrestling on a 'sci fi' channel.  If it weren't for Stargate Atlantis I'd probably cancel Sci Fi.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Originally posted by tdouglas418
    Voting
    no on this. Even if I could play a Cylon there's too many games based
    on movies and stuff (LOTR anyone??). Be original devs!!

BSG
    is original. At leas in a MMO sence. Just becuase there was a movie
    about it, doesnt mean the game is not an original idea. If that was the
    case, then IMO anything that involves cars, spaceships, horses, people,
    or anything else that was shown in dif movies/games is not original.

IMO, unoriginal idea is when there are : BSG, BSG-2, BSG-The return of
    the Cylons, BSG-The Cylon empire strikes back, BSG-Cylons and Raiders
    of the Lost Ark and finaly BSG-Cylonator and a trilogy of "Cylons vs
    Predators vs Aliens vs Terminator vs Batman vs Superman vs Eric Cartman
    vs Peter Griffin vs Homer Simpson"

As long as they dont keep producing same stuff over and over, then the
    idea remains fairly original. At least to me. I would definitely like
    to see a BSG MMO produced, but id preffer it to be not a MMORPG, but
    rather MMOFPS. Could have Human faction, Cylon-human faction (the human
    looking cylons) and Cylon-robot faction (they rebeled and are enemies
    to human-cylons becuase they used them like ... well, robots and
    stuff). Could even throw in Human-Earth faction there, they emerged
    from nowhere, probably mad-crazy and carrying various deseases, or
    perhaps they become communists and view those other humans as
    tyranical-monarchic-theocracy or something. Great story, good factions,
    great setting for pure hardcore FPS-PvPing Planetside style (improved
    and without those crazy lame unbalanced updates Sony is famous about).

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• dannys112dannys112 Member Posts: 5

id play it if it was a fps!

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Originally posted by dannys112
    id play it if it was a fps!
    Then
    its settled! we have 2 votes for a BSG MMOFPS! Now someone produce it
    dammit, i expect alpha by tommorow noon, a working beta by this
    weekend, and a working release full of content by Christmass. Stop
    reading this post and go make me a game, damn you lazy companies!

PS: EA,Sony, turbine, NCSoft, Lukasart need not apply.

Funcom, Blizzard, Perpetual Entertainmen or ArenaNet may apply (and perhaps Sigil and Mythic, but without EA)

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• brutotalbrutotal Member Posts: 276
    I never could get into games based on movies/books. They are the
    bastard offspring with lots of differences from the origional or they
    lack the gameplay as they follow a ridgid storyline.

The thing BSG has going for it is "the world may end" type background,
    how do you have that in a mmorpg where you respawn after you die?

How about the keep firing until we warp? It realy reminds me of eve but
    I highly doubt players would land their ships as soon as they engage
    the enemy.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

It is too limited for an MMORPG being that BSG is on the run.

I can't believe so many people hate the new show. I could understand if you were fans of the old one but for people that aren't..... Yes they go a little nuts with the whole religion aspect but other than that BSG has some of the best Sci-Fi action, hottest women, and most dramatic moments of any tv show out there. It is really the only show currently on tv other than Jericho that I look forward to all week long. I love watching my other shows like The Wire, and recently Dexter(Give it a chance and watch eps 1-9 if you have a Cable on Demand Service, It is a very cool and unique show) but I really get into BSG. Stargate was great and all but it went a little downhill after season 8 and has always been a somewhat corny and not very dramatic. This is hardcore Sci-Fi with unexpected character deaths around every corner and plots twists that actually surprise you. Any show that tells me a major character will die in the episode preview pisses me off(Heroes).

Spoiler below, Highlight to see:

If you saw the Athena attempted rape scene, the Lee/Pegasus last minute save scene, Billy/Cloud 9 death scene, Athena almost put out an air-lock scene, Starbuck almost killed in Cyclon Raider scene, Adama Shot, or Gaeta nearly put out air-lock scene and still don't like the show you are nuts.

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286

I'll come out and say it. I love the new BSG. I wasn't old enough for the first time around, so I know nothing about the original, but nothing can change the fact that I love the current BSG.

However, I don't think that a BSG MMORPG based off the current show would be good.

We couldn't implement it well at all. The game world would have to persist even when you're not logged on. Sure, I could see how you could have random times where Cylons attack, but it would be a completely new type of MMORPG. A sandbox to the absolute extreme. I can't see quests working all that well, because its not like Adama sends you on a "Go kill 5 cylons" Mission. Cylons would have a load more possibilities, because they aren't restricted to about 30 or so ships. If somebody could pull it off, it would be brilliant, but I'm not sure if a company would even be willing to go out on a limb to try it.

Now, we set it back to the original Cylon war, that would work perfectly. I would like to see something similar to Pre-CU SWG on steroids and then some with that. The implementation of that for both sides would be loads easier. So, we could see a BSG MMO, but I'm not sure if the canon for the show fits it.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
    We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola