Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Blizzard Banning Accounts

Comments

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

well the time thing i see from a buisnees oint of view, to be playing more than 100 hours a week means more than one person is playing that account, and thats a big nono, one person to one account and thats a rule for almost all moo's and it also means more money for the mmo maker as that would require 2 people to have 1 account each, and blizz is all about making money, if yer having 2 people play an account then thats not making them money.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• SinizterSinizter Member Posts: 85
    I've botted 6 lvl 60's and have yet to be caught

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and it is 100% fatal.

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653

my account was hacked about a year ago.  not the in-game account, my chars, items, etc were all fine. but my forum name was used to post some gold hunter buying site.  the best part is i was not at home at the time.  i did not have access to a computer... 

i sent numerous e-mails to blizzard saying it was not me who did this!  someone hacked my forum account.  everytime they kept reminding me that my account was only to be accessed by me, and it was my fault it was hacked.  i also contacted the better business bureau in hope that i could it get back, but i did not have any luck.

my account is still playable, i just can't post on the forums.  this really pissed me off and about a month later i quit for good and have never resubbed. 

i think blizzard as a company doesn't really care about who they ban.  they have so many customers that banning 1 or 20,000 doesn't seem to matter to them.  plus i do believe that they think who ever was banned will just run out an buy another copy of the game.  it only takes a few weeks to lvl to 60 anyways.

edit: spelling

• ClattucClattuc Member UncommonPosts: 163
    I agree that Blizzard puts out a quality product - the market speaks for itself - WoW is still an amazing world that I enjoy playing in - that's why this aftermarket arms race mania/metawar annoys me.

Within the game operations profession, though, I think that "S E C U R I T Y" has a tendency to become a force unto itself and an unwanted distraction to the game overall.  GM's watching for trash talkers is one thing, D-Day sized campaigns against entire continents full of players is another.

About the refunding - I get CC credits all the time, it's just another transaction at the same transaction center they use to bill you.  Piece of cake if they wanted to do it.  But they want the money, make no mistake.  A banned player is like free money - the cost per player is zero since they can't get in.

Personally I've never had a run-in with them since I don't need or want to cheat.  But I do have two homes and if I ever get grief from them for changing locations, I'll raise he|| for sure.

• knowomknowom Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Consider yourself lucky if you did get banned the game's a joke anyways farm rinse repeat it's just about as innovative as animals doing the nasty together. Sure it's spit shined, but that's really all it's worth too it's got no depth to it. Basic class customization check, basic crafting system check, basic quests check, basic items check, basic raiding check, basic pvp check, basic clone of the other mmo's check, I think we see a pretty basic pattern here huh. You can call me a hater all you want and you could even try to say I probably sucked at the game except that you'd only be kidding yourself since it's physically impossible to be bad at world of warcraft it's the most brain dead carebare dumby proof mmorpg on the market next to disney's toontown and graphically about the equivilent to it. Id rather play hello kitty island adventure than world of warcraft at this point it's probably more hardcore.
  • DarqDarq Member UncommonPosts: 31

Originally posted by Celestian

Since when is it a crime to buy gold or accounts? Heh, it's not.

It's a violation of Blizzard's ToS which is a rule for Blizzard, it's not against the law.

If blizzard didn't have such a farmy game no one would bother buying gold.

Yes
    it is against the law. You sign a legally binding contract when you
    play the game. Breaking that contract is breaking the law. Whether or
    not you have to worry about actual legal charges being brought up
    against you is a different matter though.

As for Blizzard, they are ban happy. They banned one of my accounts and
    I to this day don't know why, they also banned me from the forums on my
    main account for "trolling" when all I did was argue with a CM about
    something (they were wrong, and didn't like being proven wrong, banned
    me and deleted my posts). I've yet to receive a single reply to any of
    the emails I sent to them about either of those bannings.

• TorginTorgin Member Posts: 82
    From the article:

"There was one instance I was made aware of where a player had logged
    into his character from a location other than his home PC. When he
    eventually got back home and logged in from his normal location he
    found that his account was cancelled due to third party activity. Now,
    please understand this example is complete hearsay."

Are these legitimiate news articles or the blog entries of a
    13-year-old kid? Citing hearsay as a source is just not good
    journalism. Example: "There was one instance where some guy wrote an
    article slamming WoW because his account was banned because he was
    hacking and so he started making up stuff. Of course, this information
    about the author is completely hearsay, but..." The posts in this topic
    have had better information than the entire article. :/

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

At least one company doing something about bots and cheats etc...

I'm sick of seeing same groups of bots in EQ2 running around autofollowing each other... farm all day...

SOE seems to do nothing about it... it's 6 accounts paid, doesn't matter that a program is controlling them.

• JaxxyJaxxy Member Posts: 1

I played two characters to 60 on two differant servers hoard and alliance, so I have experienced ALOT of wow. It is a good game but in my experience the player base was it's biggest fault. It is good that blizzard is cracking down on people who are abusing the game and I hope that maybe this will make it far more pleasant to play if I ever choose to go back.  I however, also feel that the lack of communication and sudden bannings of innocent players could cause some problems for Blizzard. (Innocent as in logging onto an account from a differant location etc) So in short, good thing bad approach.

-Jaxxy

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Originally posted by EverSkelly
     At least one company doing something about bots and cheats etc... I'm sick of seeing same groups of bots in EQ2 running around autofollowing each other... farm all day... SOE seems to do nothing about it... it's 6 accounts paid, doesn't matter that a program is controlling them.  

Well I wouldn't really say Blizzard is really doing something about bots and cheating. If they really were they'd focus on the source of things. Many of these MMORPGs, at least the ones after the first few that came out have to know why people buy gold and why people farm it. It all goes back to the design of the game.That's where they have to look if they are even serious about stopping the problem or slowing it down.

Farmers, like others have said, will just go back out and buy another game. I don't doubt Blizzard is expecting or even hoping for this. All around that means more money for them. They have so many players now banning several thousand people doesn't really mean much to them. They are in any danger of losing massive numbers. They've already made massive amounts of profit. They could shut down the game tomorrow if they wanted to and still be way in the black and they know people will still be waiting for their next game. Blizzard knows what kind of position it has in the gaming community.

Botting problems are the game designers fault I feel. If they don't realize that their game design sometimes forces people to buy gold or even perhaps buy items they need to have a serious look at the design of the game itself. Yes some people are just lazy and don't want to work at anything. However I do not believe that is for all or even the majority of people. For some it's a time issue and the time sinks designs put into the games. Talking about all mmorpgs here I think. Take Final Fantasy XI, Square-Enix's game design for FFXI  caused that economy problem I believe. Bannng players in situations like this in mmorpgs is like putting a band-aid on a broken leg or a sliced open leg. It isn't going to do anything really when you get down to it until the cause is fixed or at least looked at and I just don't see that being done nor will it ever been looked at I think.
  • HamrtimeHamrtime Member Posts: 200

Originally posted by Darq

Since when is it a crime to buy gold or accounts? Heh, it's not.

It's a violation of Blizzard's ToS which is a rule for Blizzard, it's not against the law.

Yes it is against the law. You sign a legally binding contract when you

As for Blizzard,
    they are ban happy. They banned one of my accounts and I to this day
    don't know why, they also banned me from the forums on my main account
    for "trolling" when all I did was argue with a CM about something (they
    were wrong, and didn't like being proven wrong, banned me and deleted
    my posts). I've yet to receive a single reply to any of the emails I
    sent to them about either of those bannings.

Dude....what
    have you been smokin?  Just because you dont bind by a contract,
    doesnt mean you also break the law.  How many people that get
    their car reposesed go to jail for not makin their car payment? 
    How many pro athletes go to jail because they held out on their
    contract?

If you dont abide with your end of the agreement then its the other
    party that has a right to come after you for damages, not the local,
    state or federal authorities.

• AranawinAranawin Member Posts: 1

Ok so I am still a player but not much theses day. While reading I said to myself this must be about the sites selling levels and gold so it really doesn't apply to me. Then I clicked the yellow link "How to stay in game" and now Im not sure what Blizzard is thinking.

This is taken straight from the Blizzard site (that yellow link)

Here are a few examples of access that is considered unauthorized. In all examples, George is the registered account user, and Cynthia is his 16-year-old daughter whom he has authorized to use the account (this list is by no means all-inclusive).

• George wants to let his brother Rick try the game.
    • George has to cook dinner and his guest Travis just wants to chat with guildies while George is busy.
    • Cynthia doesn’t want to level her character up, she just wants to raid, so she pays a power-leveling service to do it for her.
    • Cynthia wants to achieve the top PVP rank quickly, so she asks her guildmates to fight in the battlegrounds while she’s at school.
    • George is trying to get Exalted with a particular faction, and asks his wife, Janice, to help him by grinding mobs and repeatable quests.

Now the last three I get but number one took be back and number two is just too much. So do you mean to tell me if my husband has headed for the bathroom and one of his guildies is wanting to start so quest I CAN'T SAY "HE WILL BE RIGHT BACK" This is much more then this article lets on.

• Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Hamrtime

Originally posted by Darq

Since when is it a crime to buy gold or accounts? Heh, it's not. It's a violation of Blizzard's ToS which is a rule for Blizzard, it's not against the law.
    Yes it is against the law. You sign a legally binding contract when you

As for Blizzard,
    they are ban happy. They banned one of my accounts and I to this day
    don't know why, they also banned me from the forums on my main account
    for "trolling" when all I did was argue with a CM about something (they
    were wrong, and didn't like being proven wrong, banned me and deleted
    my posts). I've yet to receive a single reply to any of the emails I
    sent to them about either of those bannings.

Dude....what
    have you been smokin? Just because you dont bind by a contract,
    doesnt mean you also break the law. How many people that get
    their car reposesed go to jail for not makin their car payment?
    How many pro athletes go to jail because they held out on their
    contract?

If you dont abide with your end of the agreement then its the other
    party that has a right to come after you for damages, not the local,
    state or federal authorities.

Actually he is partially correct...breaking the contract is breaking the law...but only civil law. You cannot be criminally charged for breaking the contract (ie you cannot go to jail or be forced to pay fines to the state/federal autorities). You can only be sued by Blizzard in civil court, but instead, they just settle out of court by terminating your account.

• StalinfalconStalinfalcon Member Posts: 77

First off, the Disclosure Clause for money transactions is shrinking every day here in the US., all in the name of the Goddess Herself, Homeland Security. Last I checked, $4,999.99 was the maximum transfer before automated flagging, it might be less now, if it isn't  then rest assured it will soon enough. That said...

I'm amused at the multiplicity of posts referring to WoW being an overly 'farming game'. Um, wakey wakey, all you WoW-was-my-first-MMO-babies: MMOs are farm-fests pretty much across the board; ESPECIALLY Korean MMOs which is EXACTLY. WHAT. WoW. IS.  MODELLED. AFTER. Why do you think it is such a success in China? It did NOT create new grounds, what it DID was copy the Korean MMO model and injected said model with Sword of Mana Graphics. It is also a massive success because it is a 3rd party Gold Seller's dream come true, for the reason that I state in the paragraph next.

The Viper That Bit Blizzard In The A** was their choice to go against EVERY MMO convention out there and whole-heartedly embrace hacking (oh *cough* sorry to insult you all: MODDING *cough* *cough*). So now here Blizzard is, reaping what they have sown: a veritable HACKFEST from having been too generous. Just as True Communism can never exist (and never has...except maybe in an Israeli Kibbutz), neither can a Rule-Abiding Moddable MMO exist. There is no such thing as Utopia and the Human Race will never realise that state. Humanity will always follow it's own Personal Selfish Agenda. This has been proven time and again.

As for 'My Linux system got banned' and all the other 'I was falsely banned coz of (insert favourite excuse here)', Criminals ALWAYS cry foul when they get caught. Criminals ALWAYS run to the Justice System to protect themselves against the Righteous Vengeance of those they have victimised. Don't believe me? Go spend some time with any of the Big Five Motorcycle Gangs and study how they do business. Crime hides behind the Scales of Justice, this also has been proven time and again. Don't be naive. Don't be deceived.

• d3ltr33d3ltr33 Member Posts: 9
    In addition, people should really start to think about that MMOGs are *formally* against farmers but most of them continue to highly promote farming (that is strange eh?) against everything else.

Farming this year *surpassed* MMOGs in term of incomes and I really doubt that some of the most active farming firms are not somewhat controlled by companies running farming-oriented MMOG. They are extra incomes, pumped up in prices by being deemed illegal.

People farming to sell on ebay (as long they do it in person) are not so different by lifeless gaming drones playing for 18-20 hours a day (and you know that WOW is full of them, in my former guild we had 30 people running WOW 24/7). Most of the farmers doesn't use any hacking, they just do what people are doing since MMOG exist, so why the difference in treatment if not to promote better incomes with the farming firms? Why a farmer that does it legit must be banned if he just *transfer* its time to another player? There's no illicit action, how many of you had received constant twinks by other guild members or by your own powerful alts? As long no illegitimate way of farming are employed, farming is a pretty conservative activity, in term of MMOG design. If the MMOG economy get damaged by farming, it's because the design is unbalanced, spawns are too frequent or drops are too profitable. WOW is a bitch in this case: since it's made to fulfil the wet fantasyes of sissy-players, the over-drops are killing the game with or without farming involved...

Troubled by the economy? Most fantasy MMOG have no economy at all, farmers (legit players this time) will ruin it anyway, and mostly at the same rate. In WOW every clan has several people appointed to farm gold 24/7 to counter the side effects of the continous raid requirements and to try to gather better eq in the AH for alts and other players. Inflation runs rampant and usually after several months a server is no more newbie accessible, due to the high inflation. It is a farming problem? Arguably. Most of the legit players do the same as with farming companies and most of them USE farming companies regoularly (otherwise there shouldn't be market for millions of golds every week). The legend that casual players use farmers is just a legend. Who feel compelled to play? Me? Who left the game since sucked or people playing all night long, being improductive at work, flaming for days on a forum, that recognize that most of their time is about pointless actions but cannot stop playing it? Farmers find most of profitability in addicts, and WOW is the perfect addict machine. It is really difficult to be able to constant raid and grind for epics AND try to have a life and a job. Any pro players saying the contrary it is in mala-fide and most probably use farmers regoularly.

The majority of players farms for their own and are "legit", inflation will always be there if any mob continue to drop gold pieces from nowhere and there's no real economy aside drop hunt. It's not likely that in every raid run in WOW are by farming companies, pro gamers and simple geeks are constantly killing the game, so Blizzard and Vivendi (assuming that they are not selling the items on ebay using someone else, a pretty unlikely event, IMHO) try to divert attention against a small portion of players that, in the grand scheme of things, is pretty neglegible.

In addition, if the farming enterprises are so profitable, that would mean that most of the players use it and then start pointing fingers and scream against that just to avoid that any other people will have the same advantage (just like things and drops get "unbalanced" for most players only after they exploited it ad infinitum).

We must accept that MMOG companies are selling us their stuff and they won't be very effective at fighting REAL farming. Mass bans are a way to catch attention about farming, and to stress that the prices made are a boom since the business is risky. That's it's the only rational explanation why companies continue to do games where it is really easy to farm, that have absolutely no control on effective farming countermeasures, whose economy seems to be made to eploit farming and whose gameplay evengelize it, practically compelling a lot of players to use it as much possible just to be average against the hardcores no-life players.

It's your money, choose your games more carefully. If a game is borked, let them know unsubscribing it. Not stubbornly supporting it in the hope it gets better, starting to pay not only to play it but also to be able to get a minimum of enjoyment for it.

• pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

BLizzard is ::::12:: completly retarded when they:

Banning people for playing from varios computers/IP numbers.
    First of all as many as my self have a numeros Computers I use.
    My IP nr is changing as our ip use dynamical IP ( IP providers usualy do this in EU IP nr is running low here

I got friends of mine who have arrive home and seen there account banned becouse of this. Blizzard
    never communicate with there users.

This is starting to be very pathetically ridiculous*.

Banning people becouse of using another OS then microsofts is (se above*).

I have gone true the legal pappers from Blizzard at a glance and I cant find any text stating banning can accour
    becouse you swith to another computer, change IP nr or for that fact using Linux as OS.

More

- I got friends including my self playing WoW on varios computers, running it on linux clients, and
    is this the way blizzard is acting it may be a good reason to start thinking " stop your current sub.." and
    start browse for a better mmorpg.

We are right now 800 players in my guild and we got this " under disc shall we leave or not as it stands now
    I think it's not that many + on wow and blizzard.

the writer aint native english so spelling and gramma may not be 100%

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Originally posted by Anofalye

Gold farmers is something you can't fight, it is like waving your sword at the ocean...and you are hurting yourself doing so.  However, you can remove all negative impact these farmers can have on the game, thereby more or less fighting it, but most importantly, making the game fun for non-farmers.  They have instancing in the game, which is the MAIN tool to fight gold-farmers nasty impact...however, they fail to understand it...

You are clearly wrong.

Instancing does not stop farming, it helps farmers by giving them a private place to farm nonstop without being seen or bothered. They don't have to deal with any competition from other players. The fact that WoW has a lot of instancing and is the most farmed MMOG around, proves this.

Here are a few examples of access that is considered unauthorized. In all examples, George is the registered account user, and Cynthia is his 16-year-old daughter whom he has authorized to use the account (this list is by no means all-inclusive).
    • George wants to let his brother Rick try the game.
    • George has to cook dinner and his guest Travis just wants to chat with guildies while George is busy.
    • Cynthia doesn’t want to level her character up, she just wants to raid, so she pays a power-leveling service to do it for her.
    • Cynthia wants to achieve the top PVP rank quickly, so she asks her guildmates to fight in the battlegrounds while she’s at school.
    • George is trying to get Exalted with a particular faction, and asks his wife, Janice, to help him by grinding mobs and repeatable quests.

Now the last three I get but number one took be back and number two is just too much. So do you mean to tell me if my husband has headed for the bathroom and one of his guildies is wanting to start so quest I CAN'T SAY "HE WILL BE RIGHT BACK" This is much more then this article lets onAll of the examples you gave are the same violation, sharing of an account, and you deserve a banning for any of them.

It's too much of a slippery slope to make exceptions for certain situations, and if you were a rational person, you would understand that and be willing to sacrifice some personal liberties in order to help stopping cheaters.

• einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197
    That Blizzard has a policy forbidding players from allowing their *spouses* to maintain characters on the account for even the most casual dabbling pretty much negates any claim they have to moral high ground on anything. This is a part of life in which WoW, Blizzard, the law, and the public have no authority and no right to consider, comment, or enforce.

Everyone should read these guidelines carefully. They are a bizarre insight into a dangerous hubris that could one day spell the death of the game - and they are a very strong argument for looking the other way in the face of any offense.

einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton

Originally posted by einexile
    That Blizzard has a policy forbidding players from allowing their *spouses* to maintain characters on the account for even the most casual dabbling pretty much negates any claim they have to moral high ground on anything. This is a part of life in which WoW, Blizzard, the law, and the public have no authority and no right to consider, comment, or enforce.

Everyone should read these guidelines carefully. They are a bizarre insight into a dangerous hubris that could one day spell the death of the game - and they are a very strong argument for looking the other way in the face of any offense.

Blizzard and most other MMOGs have the same"non sharing of accounts" rule.

Blizzard and other MMOGs don't claim high moral ground. They believe sharing of accounts enables cheaters to be more effective, with powerleveling and use of bots which is the truth.

Sorry if you can't use your spouse's account to chat with his guildmates. Get over yourself.

• DeginethDegineth Member Posts: 83
    I liked this story so much that I have submitted it to wowTick.com . While you're there go ahead and tick it to reach the front page :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Arguing on the Internet is like running the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still a retard

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Originally posted by einexile
    That Blizzard has a policy forbidding players from allowing their *spouses* to maintain characters on the account for even the most casual dabbling pretty much negates any claim they have to moral high ground on anything.

Me and my brother have exchanged accounts numerious times, no way Blizzard can tell if the true owner is playing. You just need to be careful not logging  in an account that is in use. This is what makes the alarm go off.

If Blizzard really wanted to ban friends/family that exchange account they could simply make warden check the interface folder on the harddisk if it has data from any characters that dont belong to the account. Dont be so paranoid.

On another note... Im sure some posts in this thread are glider users trying to make Blizzard seem like an evil evil company banning Linux users on purpose etc. Its so pathetic.
  • Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    as long as they dont cheat they can bot/farm, do wathever they want
    i dont care
    i think people who whine couse other can become better trough paying real cash are just jelous

well i dont care
    i got bad equipment and still can win against epic guys exspecially if they bought their epic char on ebay
    its worthless, without skill there is no way they will win

so Im more happy if they wouldnt ban
     i dont like the idea of getting banned couse i logged in at my friends home to send
    him something...
    the stuff with linux sucks also
    forced to use windows only couse they cant handle it <<

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Well banning for using your account in different locations would effect me if I still played the game for the simple fact that I have a couple of houses in different states that I like to travel to when I decide to get away. Oh well, If I decide to play again i'll just farm and stay in one location that seems to be ok.............
  • MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    I got banned from WoW a while back for something a friend did on my account. I was "interviewed" by a gm, and I gave him all the info I had. He promised that I was not banned, and thanked me for helping them track down the source of the problem. He said he had to temporarily suspend me while they were investigating. I even have a screenshot of him saying I would not be banned. After the suspension I started getting emails from a different gm. He basically tried to hold my account ransom in exchange for more information. After several days of emails, and giving him every little bit of info I had, he thanked me once again. A few minutes later I got a nice form mail informing me that my account was permanently banned. All further emails to the GM were ignored.

So the lesson is do not trust/help a blizzard GM. They do not keep their word.