Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth giving the game a try?

I've wondered about trying DAoC for quite some time, but haven't done it so far.
The thing that is scaring me a bit is the population.

I've heard this game is almost dead, non players left almost? what can you say about that?
The game don't need to be populated with people everywhere, but its nice to see some people from time to time, like how populated is this game compared to AO?

And another thing, if you play, what do you like and dislike about the game?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'am from EU, is there like EU and US servers? if yes, are the EU servers lesser populated than the EU servers?

Comments

• VerisolVerisol Member Posts: 21

The classic servers are quite populated all the time there is a lot of players in all the level ranges to play with as for the regular servers I can't really say since I don't play my characters on the classic servers all that often. With the double xp in shrouded isles its a great time to join as a new player.

Some of the things I really enjoy about the game are:

-Community: Generally speaking the community in the game is great lots of helpful people that will help. Of course there is always a few people who are just down right mean.

-RvR
    The PvP in the game is some of the best around there is pretty much something for everyone rather you like keep sieges, massive battles, or 8 man gank groups (not as plentiful anymore). The PvP also effects your realm whether you have access to the Darkness Falls dungeon and what kind of bonuses your realm gets from owning keeps and relics. There are battlegrounds for people of all levels although some of them rarely have people in them.

-Classes
    There is a large variety of classes so depending on what you like to do there is a class for you. Each class has different skills and is different compared to the other realms counterpart. It may not be a huge difference but it is there.

-Crafting
    Crafting plays a major roll in the game. From masterpiece armor and spellcrafting it with magical qualities. You can make special dyes for weapons through alchemey along with buff potions and power/end regen potions.

Some of the things I dislike:

-Content
    There is a lot of content in the game and a lot of it isn't used anymore like the SI dungeons are rarely raided. (Dragons are still fairly regularly raided). So some of the older content will not be experienced and it was fun when it was ran.

-Crafting
    Crafting can be very tedious it takes quite awhile to level up your skills in order to make items of any real value. Crafting can also be very expensive depending on how far you plan on going.

-Population
    I would love to see a larger population altogether on all the servers. (On the classic servers the population is good and I always see people running around almost everywhere I am.)

If there is anything specific you would like to know just ask.

Edit: Just saw the EU part I don't play on the EU servers so I couldn't really tell you but from the total population the EU servers should be in a similar situation as the US servers.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I've heard rumors that the EU servers aren't quite as active as the US ones, and I do know that there are many Euro players on the US servers right now.  (I think they are all Albs, cause they keep taking our keeps back from us during the morning hours here.)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    I just started back about a week ago, man the classic serversrock pretty hard, even the lancelot merlin cluster has people for a regular server. I really recommend the classic servers though. they are always populated, even at 3 in the morning :-D I played WOW for 2.5 years, since beta.. To me DAOC is much more fun.
  • SyriSyri Member UncommonPosts: 230
    The classic servers especially on the us are active, and especially more so than the english euro servers. I can't honestly think of a time of day i looked at the numbers recently, and saw the euro english servers above the us for numbers... quite commonly there's more on one classic server than all of the eu eng servers together.
    for any euro english speaking player, i would really recommend the usa servers, they're just so much more active, and though some event times are a bit usa based, there are some euro guilds popping up now, running earlier runs and events.

------------------------------
    Currently playing: Rift

former player of: DAoC, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, SWG (pre-NGE), WoW, Warhammer online, LotR:O

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    No dude, it's completely empty. I loved the game but...effing WoW stole whatever players were left.

• wiiqwiiq Member Posts: 5
    If you will start daoc i would recommend the US classic servers, alot of nice action both for 8vs8 and zerg

Realm doesnt matter all 3 are fun

• jsaunders45jsaunders45 Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Verisol
    The classic servers are quite populated all the time there is a lot of players in all the level ranges to play with as for the regular servers I can't really say since I don't play my characters on the classic servers all that often. With the double xp in shrouded isles its a great time to join as a new player.

Some of the things I really enjoy about the game are:

-Community: Generally speaking the community in the game is great lots of helpful people that will help. Of course there is always a few people who are just down right mean.

-RvR
    The PvP in the game is some of the best around there is pretty much something for everyone rather you like keep sieges, massive battles, or 8 man gank groups (not as plentiful anymore). The PvP also effects your realm whether you have access to the Darkness Falls dungeon and what kind of bonuses your realm gets from owning keeps and relics. There are battlegrounds for people of all levels although some of them rarely have people in them.

-Classes
    There is a large variety of classes so depending on what you like to do there is a class for you. Each class has different skills and is different compared to the other realms counterpart. It may not be a huge difference but it is there.

-Crafting
    Crafting plays a major roll in the game. From masterpiece armor and spellcrafting it with magical qualities. You can make special dyes for weapons through alchemey along with buff potions and power/end regen potions.

Some of the things I dislike:

-Content
    There is a lot of content in the game and a lot of it isn't used anymore like the SI dungeons are rarely raided. (Dragons are still fairly regularly raided). So some of the older content will not be experienced and it was fun when it was ran.

-Crafting
    Crafting can be very tedious it takes quite awhile to level up your skills in order to make items of any real value. Crafting can also be very expensive depending on how far you plan on going.

-Population
    I would love to see a larger population altogether on all the servers. (On the classic servers the population is good and I always see people running around almost everywhere I am.)

If there is anything specific you would like to know just ask.

Edit: Just saw the EU part I don't play on the EU servers so I couldn't really tell you but from the total population the EU servers should be in a similar situation as the US servers.

image Listen to this person.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Originally posted by Nierro
    No dude, it's completely empty. I loved the game but...effing WoW stole whatever players were left.

and don't listen to this person, he's a Blizz plant image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MelRussell81MelRussell81 Member Posts: 5
    I've heard the same thing about the US servers being more active than the EU ones so you might want to use the US server if you decide to play.  It's a great game so you should definitely try it.  I think you'll find the population isn't as scarce as you think.