Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game is dying...

Hi there!

I have played Final Fantasy on and off for about 2 years. I got about 2000+ playhours...

I have tryed out several MMO's but this was the greatest of them all. The people in the game gave me a place to be social besides just playing. And people is also very helpful. Everytime I tested a new MMO I came back to FFXI.

But today Im sad. I realized this game is slowly dying out. I dont have many of my best MMO friends left in this game. Everyone quits. The first reason people started to quit was that the money-sellers destroyed the game. Things in auction house that used to cost 100.000 gil was up to 20 million gil. But lately SquareEnix has started to do something about this problem and the prices are dropping again. But people still quit the game.

The game is extremely demanding and requires alot of time and patience to get somewhere. You can barely do ANYTHING without a team to help you out. This is also one of the reasons I decided to quit. The game is too hard and I can say it has destroyed a part of my life because it requires soooo much time.

I mean there is 16 jobs or something in the game and you can level them all to 75 on the same character. This has given me alot of problems since I like many of the jobs. I have gone back and forth between them and wasted alot of time on that.

For example I got White Mage lvl 52, Red Mage lvl 42, Samurai lvl 38, several jobs between 20-30 and every single job is above lvl 10. It would have been alot easier if you could only play ONE job on ONE character because at least I wouldnt jump between several characters...

I still say Final Fantasy XI is the best MMO available so far and I feel very sad I cant keep playing it. But I feel more sad that I have lost my best friends in the game because they quit. When Im online playing I think alot about the friends that quit and that destroys the feeling for the game for me :(

Im gonna give Phantasy Star Universe a try now instead and I really hope that game can replace FFXI for me...since none of the other MMOs seems to be able to do that.

// Achazia on server Fairy

Comments

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by zandman78
    Hi there!

I have played Final Fantasy on and off for about 2 years. I got about 2000+ playhours...

I have tryed out several MMO's but this was the greatest of them all. The people in the game gave me a place to be social besides just playing. And people is also very helpful. Everytime I tested a new MMO I came back to FFXI.

But today Im sad. I realized this game is slowly dying out. I dont have many of my best MMO friends left in this game. Everyone quits. The first reason people started to quit was that the money-sellers destroyed the game. Things in auction house that used to cost 100.000 gil was up to 20 million gil. But lately SquareEnix has started to do something about this problem and the prices are dropping again. But people still quit the game.

The game is extremely demanding and requires alot of time and patience to get somewhere. You can barely do ANYTHING without a team to help you out. This is also one of the reasons I decided to quit. The game is too hard and I can say it has destroyed a part of my life because it requires soooo much time.

I mean there is 16 jobs or something in the game and you can level them all to 75 on the same character. This has given me alot of problems since I like many of the jobs. I have gone back and forth between them and wasted alot of time on that.

For example I got White Mage lvl 52, Red Mage lvl 42, Samurai lvl 38, several jobs between 20-30 and every single job is above lvl 10. It would have been alot easier if you could only play ONE job on ONE character because at least I wouldnt jump between several characters...

I still say Final Fantasy XI is the best MMO available so far and I feel very sad I cant keep playing it. But I feel more sad that I have lost my best friends in the game because they quit. When Im online playing I think alot about the friends that quit and that destroys the feeling for the game for me :(

Im gonna give Phantasy Star Universe a try now instead and I really hope that game can replace FFXI for me...since none of the other MMOs seems to be able to do that.

PSU will not replace ffxi because the content in PSU is scarce. for me, the CoP expansion is what has keept me away.

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

• PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267
    every forum in this site (MMORPG.com) has a post thats titled "this game is dying...."  lol.

• UnrealSWATUnrealSWAT Member Posts: 186

FFXI isnt dying, the players are changing. theres more new accounts made everyday then the amount that quit. once you have all jobs to lvl 75 it would be a waste of time doing nothing wouldnt it? which is why people quit for a while until theres something new to do.

UnrealSWAT

• TelakiTelaki Member Posts: 361

FFXI isn't dying, If your highest job is only 52 You're not experiancing half of the game yet. The EXP 1-63 is almost equal to 64-75 so you're literally not half way there. The Majority of the Content, And the Majority of the playerbase is Level 75.

FFXI still has a few years left, When SE stops adding new Content, And they start Combinding Servers, thats when FFXI will start to die. But as long as we get new things every couple of months FFXI will still be here.

• TelakiTelaki Member Posts: 361

~.~ Double post.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by zandman78
    Hi there!

First, I will agree.. FFXI has its flaws. I think SE was a bit too heavy-handed on some aspects of it.

However..

First.. people play a game.. they tire of it.. they move on. Just like anything. All your friends leaving does not equate to the game dying.

That you keep jumping between jobs due to your own lack of focus on sticking to one at a time is not a flaw on SE's part. Like I indicated.. it's a lack of focus on yours. I had the same problem as you. I played on and off since the NA PC release and changed jobs constantly, so I, too, had a smattering of jobs around level 40, but none over that. I've gone back and forth on the love/hate see-saw with this game more than I care to remember... however, at the end of the day, I understand that my lack of progress in any one job was due to my own inability to focus on one. Indicating that SE is in any way to blame for that is ridiculous.

The population is still going strong.. last I checked they still have between 500-600k players - pretty much the same as they'e had all along.

The game is not dying.

People really need to stop believing their feelings for a game is somehow an indication of its well-being.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Sean3000Sean3000 Member Posts: 6
    The problem with me was, I played way too much. Over the coarse of 2 months i had  more playtime than my friend who'd been playing for over a year. The cost of things isnt helping things either.
    Im probably going to be gaing back to this soon though because I really an missing it.
    It is difficult, but a big thing about it is meeting new people and i really liked that.

Upon returning i'd just take the game a lot slower and just enjoy myself...

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

I dont ever see this game dying. Games die mainly because of new tech. Graphics are at a point where aside from new PSU, things will not get much better. FFXI has an art style that imo, will be current for a very very long time. It is amazing, a game like ffxi which is far far older then say, EQ2 which is the most intense graphics mmo engine, runs circles around it w/o half the resources.

I was a hard core EQ junkie that has played just about every pay2play mmorpg on the market and ONLY  ffxi has been the game that has given me what i wanted and more. All the current mmorpgs are instanced out the ass so imo they are doomed. Then you have a game like EvE, an amazing concept with so much potential but fails due to the fact that it is i am sorry, boring. FFXI wins because of its deep character system, the fact that it is the only mmorpg that has a true story, is a game that is hard & it plays like an rpg... not this bbq go on a rampage and hit shit systems that we see in new mmos (WoW). In an RPG there should be a lot of thinking that goes on and just about EVERY mmo on the market fails in this regard BUT FFXI.

FFXI > All and this is a fact. The mods on this website need to go and RMT a clue for giving this game a 6.5 and the fact that most people dont "get it" shows that the same people here who scream for Vanguard will quit that also once the going gets tough.

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494
    I've said the same thing everytime i've left but I always come back and it is always fresh and as good as ever.  I know what you mean by losing good friends who play but maybe you should take a break and come back leveling a new class.  There are alot of people to meet.

• FastKatzwootFastKatzwoot Member Posts: 5
    I've left and come back a couple times too and I always find new people which makes it more interesting than before. 

• jandrews5883jandrews5883 Member Posts: 5
    I don't think its dying at all
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    And I tought only GW has threads: This game is dying.. =P

• bejones86bejones86 Member Posts: 5
    I agree, it's not dying it's just evolving with the players.  I love the game and probably won't quit anytime soon. 

• snipergsniperg Member Posts: 863
    Being the most newb in FFXI (no job at 40 yet) and with about 3-4 months active play, well i must say that the game is not dying at all. It has it's ups and downs but in general it moves well. As long as i can find a party i know it is still good.

A friend is not him who provides support during your failures.A friend is the one that cheers you during your successes.