Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie to the MMORPG scene

Basically i have very little idea of what im doing image

Ive looked at a few games online and unformtunatly a lot seem to be not out yet or not available in the UK!

So have been looking at DAoC a lot and it seems like a cool and worth while game for a fresher to start with!

So can u help me. dont really know if:

The game is available in the UK?

Wheres the best place to get the game from?

How do the expansions work? do i have to choose what "episode" i wanna play if so what do you reccommend?

Im looking for an expleration game but with a fair ammount of PvP conflicts? and from what i can understand different servers have different game aims/victory conditions? so whats everyone on?

Anything i should know before i jump the gun and spend £££ on game and subscription

Cheers all image

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

---------------------------------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost."

Comments

• WildHeartWildHeart Member Posts: 14

Any DAoC people out there can help out a little?

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost."

• BlueOneBlueOne Member Posts: 15

The game is available in the UK?

Yes DAOC has servers in Europe check http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/international/index.php for more info.

Wheres the best place to get the game from?

Not sure about "where" the UK but just about every Computer/Game shop here (US) has the game.  DO NOT buy a "used" copy of this game because there is a registration number on each box and it can only be used ONCE, if you get a copy that the number is in use, it's no good and you'll have to get another copy.  Mythic cannot (or will not) get you another number over the phone or Internet, you HAVE to have an original number from a store bought box.

Also - get the "Gold" version, it's normaly the same price as the original but it has the first expantion and the "houseing" patch included.

How do the expansions work? do i have to choose what "episode" i wanna play if so what do you reccommend?

The current "pay" expantions are Shrouded Isles and Trials of Atlantis.  There are no "episodes" just additions to the "world."  If you have just the Original game you can play the "main-land" areas, if you have the SI expantion you get the "main-land" and the "island" areas and new monsters.  If you own the ToA expantion you get all that and you can go to the "Atlantis" areas and fight more new monsters.  Each of the expantions have better graphics updates that the previous and new clases and races you can play. 

My sugestion is to get the "Gold" box because it comes with the Original and the SI expantion, then after you've reached level 30 get the ToA expantion.  ToA is designed for higher level players so it won't do you much good at the begining anyway.

Im looking for an expleration game but with a fair ammount of PvP conflicts? and from what i can understand different servers have different game aims/victory conditions? so whats everyone on?

Well, DAoC isn't realy an "exploration" game but there are alot of places to go and things to do and creachers to kill.  Most of the server are strictly PvE with special areas for PvP.  You fight MoBs only (or do quests/tasks) to get XP until you reach a certain level and then you can "port" into PvP areas called Battle Grounds.  Each BG is restricted to 5 levels (i.e. 15 - 19 / 20 - 24 /etc..) so you wont be outguned right out of the box.  Later on there are the Frontiers that is for High level 45 - 50 level players.

There are a couple of server that are differnt; One that has no PvP at all, it allows all three realms to play WITH each other not against.  The other server is a PvP server; not only can you fight the other realms but each other as well. 

There are also Role Play servers where the players there expect you to be "in charicter" all the time.

Now this is in referance to the US servers, the Europe servers may have differnt numbers of PvE/PvP/RP servers.

There are no "victory conditions" to speek of.  There is a level cap of 50 but there are Realm Points you gain in PvP combat to enhance your power.  There is no "end of game."

Hope this helps

BlueOne

• Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574

You probably cannot go wrong with DAOC.  Has great weapons graphics, nice choice of classes, a somewhat sane P vs P system for those who are into P vs P, and is overall a decent game.  I do think we will see some awesome next generation games within the next six months that might give you cause to jump ship from DAOC and move to them, but that's just an opinion.

As far as expansions go, you need the Shrouded Isles one, but likely not the rest (TOA) until you are higher level.  Others are free downloaded expansions (i.e. Housing, Frontiers when released, etc).

But for a decent MMORPG for at least the next six months, DAOC is what I play. 

• WildHeartWildHeart Member Posts: 14

Thanks for the help people think i will see about getting DAoC in the near future image

Any suggestions what server to play on?

• BlueOneBlueOne Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by WildHeart

Thanks for the help people think i will see about getting DAoC in the near future image

Sorry, can't answer that one as I am not on the UK network...

Have Fun and Welcome!

BlueOne

• Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by WildHeart

Yes, I would advise the Merlin server.  Since the game has been out for a couple of years, you will find the bulk of the gaming population in the higher levels.  Some servers have almost half their population maxed at level 50. That means it will be more difficult to find groups and zones will seem emptier.  However, the Merlin server is the most populated one and seems less impacted by this.  For a newcomer, Merlin is definitely a good choice.

• Qbic07Qbic07 Member Posts: 91

Well mate I assume you ywill be buying the European version of the game which means you can only access European servers image

There are 2 English servers there (besides the PVP ones9 which are Prydwen and Excalibur.  Excalibur is the biggest one (about 2500 to 3000 people on there).  If u decide to play on Excalibur as a Midgard char then contact Graodann or Maccros (my 2 main alts) and I will help you out as much as possible.

Cheers,

Q.

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

DAOC is a great game.  Be careful what you buy though.  The European version only gives you access to the European servers.  If you want to play on the U.S. servers, you must get a U.S. version of the game.  I don't know if it still applies, but the European version runs behind the U.S. version in updates.  You can't buy the U.S. version in Europe because another company is licensed to sell the European version there.  So, if you want the U.S. version, you'd have to order it from the U.S.  Unfortunately, you might get stuck paying import fees, etc., which might almost double the cost of the game. 

Definitely buy the Gold Box Edition (I don't know if there is a European version of that yet).  It has the original game plus the first expansion, Shrouded Isles, along with the housing module (which is a hefty download otherwise). 

PvP is known as Realm vs. Realm in DAOC.  Each regular server is made up of three realms (Albion, Midgard, Hibernia), all enemies of one another.  You do not fight your realmmates.  Instead, you go into the "frontiers" and "battlegrounds" to fight members of the other realms.  You can "duel" with your realmmates, but that's just for fun. 

There is one PvP server in which the realms mix and you can battle all that come your way.  There is one cooperative server in which all realms mix and there is no PvP or RvR except dueling.

The above information pertains to U.S. servers.  I'm not sure if the European servers mimic the U.S. servers.

• this is a cool game! I love it.

• DillyanaDillyana Member Posts: 6

<<Im looking for an expleration game but with a fair amount of PvP conflicts? and from what i can understand different servers have different game aims/victory conditions? so whats everyone on?>>

In Europe, there are english, french and german servers.  The servers are actually located in France though.  The versions are slightly behind the US-versions, as they are first translated (even US-english is translated to UK-english)

The 3 english servers are Camlann, the PvP-server (where, you gain experience both from mobs or from other players and cannot be safe playing anywhere: join only if you are hardcore PvP), Excalibur (the bigger english server), Prydwen (the smaller english server). There is no cooperative server.

I would recommend that you choose Prydwen.  Why?  because there are less people, you will be more valuable to the existing ones and can make yourself a name easier, there will be less competition to get to the best spots for experience, you will most likely never get the message 'server full, wait for others to logoff before you can join' (it does happen on the french of the german servers).  I would also recommend to join either Hibernia or Midgard, for the same reasons as above: less crowded, as Albion is the most populated server on both servers and you will just be a nobody in a big crowd if you choose Albion.

As a first character, I always recommend to people to try a thane until level 10, then to see if they want to continue or change (ok, I admit, I am a Midgard/Prydwen person).  This usually makes the first hours less painful as there is a lot to learn.  But with a thane: the learning curve is quite high without being too frustrating.  A warning though: thanes are not considered the best class at level 50: so remember to think through carefully at level 10 what kind of playing you will be doing if DaoC appeals to you then. 

At level 10, you now know more about this game.  If you still like it, you have probably tested a little of everything by now (soloing, grouping, questing, killtasking and maybe more).  If you love groups: do a healer type of character, if you love soloing, get a 2nd account to make a buffbot (an enhancer class) and solo your way thorugh the levels (most stealther classes are ok soloers, some light tanks are good soloers too), if you like versatility, choose a hybrid (but hybrids=can do a lot of different things but is not so good at anything), if you like high risk and can stand 'dying a lot', choose a caster-type.  I also highly recommend that your character chooses a trade so you can 'salvage' your unused items (salvage=turn random not so good drops into gold, the good drops of course, you wear them).

Community is very important, so at level 10, you should choose a guild to join.  By then, you should have found where the official guild listings are and what those guilds' values are is usually presented on their home sites.  Choose one guild, join it, and stick with your guildies.  If they interview you to try and see what kind of person you are: that's a plus, it might mean that they trust each other once they are members and will be rore likely to help you out later (level 47 is bad for most classes: get help).

When you then choose your 'final' class, try to stick to it as much as possible and try to avoid making 5 alts!!!  Levels 1 to 20 are quite easy and quite fast to do using killtasks (go to the starter area of SI to do the killtasks: fast and good random drops that should help you out for the first levels).  If you are determined and early learn how to use the compass, you can swish through the levels 1-20 in 2 days (I'm not talking to you people who already have several level 50 and can go even faster).  And both at level 19 and at level 24, you will be able to try out RvR.  At level 20, you can go to the capital and get a free suit and a free weapon: it is not very high quality, but if you don't have better by then, it will help.  At level 20, you also now have a 'complete' character.    You have a version of every skill you will get and from then on, you will just become better and better at what your class is good at.

DaoC is definitely a game where you can invest a lot of time, and the more time you invest, the more rewarding it gets (to a limit though, too much of a good thing will spoil it). 

How do I play?  I have a few 'streamlined' characters, that I play for major PvE raids, some RvR raids or to join 'opted RvR groups', they are always apreciated in groups and it helps my guildies and my guild when I play them.  But I have the most fun with my 'non-cookie-cutter' characters that I designed to be different (I have a hunter  and a cave shammy for example.... these are my favorite characters)

Dillyana Lovecraft
    Legendary Tailor

Dillyana Lovecraft
    Legendary Tailor

• KelenekiKeleneki Member UncommonPosts: 32

I played DAoC on Morgan for about a year at the start of retail.  After about a 6 month break, I moved to Pendragon (test server).  There are fewer people on Pendragon but it is a great community.  The natives there may be a little stand-offish at first but if a person is dedicated to playing on Pendragon, the natives will open up to you.  Mostly I played on Midgard and it was great because all of the guilds were in one alliance and it made communicating easy to do.

It worked out great for me on Pendragon (I just recently stopped my subscription) because I don't mind going solo for stretches of time, and I am a crafter at heart, which doesn't really need others much of the time to do.  When I felt like grouping, it was always easy to find some folks to adventure with.  And there is never the problem of waiting for a spot to open up to camp.

Oh, PvP is different on Pendragon than on any of the live servers.  Besides for when live server guilds decide to copy over in masses and "own" on Pend, there are no Zergfests.  I really enjoyed the PvP in the frontiers because it was more about startegy versus just who has the most people winning.  Having an extra healer or tank or whatever class really made the difference between success and failure.

Just a suggestion about choosing a server, based on my experiences.  Use it as you will.

Regards.

• btw, is the test server always free ? if my account  is out of the 7 days trial, can I go on playing on the test server ?

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335
    No, the test server is not accessible if you do not have an active (paid-up) account. 

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Daoc was the best mmorpg i have ever played. Swg has nothing on it. Take my advice and buy the euro version. I played on the us lancelot server. Even tho the community rocked there it is very noob unfriendly now due to the /level levelling and the powerlevelling of new alts. The noobie areas are empty making it very frustrating for new players to meet people let alone level as daoc is very group orientated. You would do a lot better on a brit populated server than trying to break into a us server with zero noobs

Have fun...its the best mmorpg out! Only reason i'm not there is due to i prefer to play the old way and level each toon up from 0...something that is missing from lanc alb :(

Pan

• McygeeMcygee Member Posts: 76

I played DAOC for ohh I don't know, a few months maybe off and on.  In my opinion, if you like this game you apparently havn't played many other MMORPG's.  Because DAoC is a slow paced boredom fest.  You run slow, you fight slow, you do pretty much everything really slowly.  Take my advice and try out Asheron's Call.  The graphics arn't as pretty, but the game play is fast and fun.   I just don't see what people like about DAoC.  It's just so damn slow, and it's not very soloable (or not at all at times).  AC is the most soloable MMORPG I've played.  You can take 30 monsters on at one time if you so choose, and make good xp doing it.  Or take more powerful creatures that are woth more xp, but harder to kill.  The choice is yours. 

AC > DAoC      DAoC > EQ      EQ > Nothing

"Getting it is easy. Filling it with illegal substances and sending accross the border is not."
    -Ignignokt

---Playing---
    Asheron's Call

• kermit01kermit01 Member Posts: 11

Be prepared to love the game, AND be extremely frustrated with it, especially as you get up to the higher levels. Of course, by that time, the game will probably have completely switched directions AGAIN......so who knows.

Good Luck!