Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG NGE November 2006 info

After a few days of playing, here is what I found so far.

Entertainer is still one of the most unique classes of all MMORPGs, IMO.
Music, Dance, Special Moves, Buffs, Instruments, Props, Entertainment Droids with effects.

Leveling
is not as easy as it used to be. Back in the day, you could solo a
whole lair and not even blink. It seems that now you need to kill 1
mob, then move on to the next. Not easy mode, not hard mode, but about
medium. This is referring to same level mobs as yourself.

80-90
seems difficult to level unless you have the "Rage of the Wookies" or
"Trials of Obi-Wan". If you do not have these expansions, you can still
creature grind mobs, but it can get boring.

Respec is now an option for credits from Profession Counselors. Good idea here.

Crafting needs improvement. What is a world without crafters?

Interface
did not have the options that I like by default, but I was able to set
Pre-CU Interface options after logging in. (Auto-target, Auto-Aim)

There are hints in the game that some form of creature handler is coming back.

Jedi
is more difficult to play, now that Expertise has been added. Either
mobs have gotten stronger or Jedi have gotten weaker. I grinded the
same exact mobs and levels with the same character before and after
expertise was added. Before expertise I was able to wipe out an entire
lair of same level mobs at once without pause, not pulling singles. Now
my Jedi needs to pull single mobs to live.

Comments

• kissodeathkissodeath Member Posts: 102

WOW, thanks for the info I was wondering what this NGE thing was.

Your reveiw has inspired me to go buy the complete and forget these NGE'erist in here I beat they are just jealous

• linuxgamerlinuxgamer Member Posts: 126
    My fiance got me back into it. She never played Pre-CU or CU. Then she got all this crazy armor and weapons and a bunker. Now I group with her. The population in Bria is a reason to reroll there if you want to group.  I hear you can also pay for a character transfer to other servers.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Creatures and NPCs will now do specials, and many will heal (usually the elites)

• MMO_ManMMO_Man Member Posts: 666
    You are in the wrong forum, this is the "Veteran Refugee" forum. You should've posted this in the "Current Player" forum. This forum was created so we (the refugees) could be seperated from the current players because all we post is "crap". We really don't care if you like the NGE, we hate it and refuse to play such a dumbed down version of swg. If you are enjoying the game then good for you. 8)

I sleep with a pillow under my gun.

• n2k3156n2k3156 Member Posts: 523
    Who cares anymore.

NGE Refugee.

• CarbideCarbide Member Posts: 136
    how are creatures hard?  At lvl 40 I went to Dath and hunted lvl 82-94 mobs with little problem at all.  The game IS easy mode.

==========
    SWG - 1st Gen MBH (Closed)
    EVE (Closed)
    WoW (61 Orc Hunter - Blackwing Lair)
    GuildWars (Boring...)

• MMO_ManMMO_Man Member Posts: 666

Originally posted by Carbide
    how are creatures hard?  At lvl 40 I went to Dath and hunted lvl 82-94 mobs with little problem at all.  The game IS easy mode.
    Maybe he's fighting naked and using a twig instead of a glow bat.

I sleep with a pillow under my gun.

Originally posted by Carbide
    When did you last try it? Ya, it was easy mode this summer, they changed something. It is not as easy anymore. For one thing, your action bar gets used up really fast now. There is no way a level 40 can kill an 80 now.

I am a vet, got SWG from day 1. Did pre-cu, cu, and various stages/chapters of NGE.

No it is not the Pre-CU we all liked. It is a new game, but some of it is fun. Jedi seems boring as hell, so I tried Commando and Officer. Officer is fun for me because I can have an NPC elite officer help with combat.

If they actually got more players, this game could be a good MMO.

BTW, I smell something brewing. Possible AD supported SWG may be coming. They added billboards near various areas throughout the planets, near banks and near parking garages. Maybe I just never noticed them before. Advertising in game worked for Anarchy Online.

• AfroPuffAfroPuff Member Posts: 207
    Those billboards were allegedly added to aid newbies in getting around, and not for AD support.

SWG Team Mtg.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by AfroPuff
    Those billboards were allegedly added to aid newbies in getting around, and not for AD support.
    And there's no such thing as the NGE. Well, that was according to the devs a year and a month ago.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

It was just a guess about the AD support. I think it is the only way that they will get full servers again. Free to play, Ad supported game, maybe some PS3 support.

The NGE is actually not that bad of a game today, regardless of how wrong it was changing it like they did. The population is the most noticable disappointment.

Things are changing all the time in NGE. I tried SWG three times over the last year and every time there has been something major changed in the game. Expertise is the newest big change for many professions. Not all professions have Expertise yet. Expertise is basically like Talents from World of Warcraft. In fact, many NGE elements remind me of WoW.

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

Originally posted by MMO_Man
    You are in the wrong forum, this is the "Veteran Refugee" forum. You should've posted this in the "Current Player" forum. This forum was created so we (the refugees) could be seperated from the current players because all we post is "crap". We really don't care if you like the NGE, we hate it and refuse to play such a dumbed down version of swg. If you are enjoying the game then good for you. 8)

Some NGE haters go into the Current Discussions forum so.....
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by linuxgamer
    After a few days of playing, here is what I found so far.

Entertainer is still one of the most unique classes of all MMORPGs, IMO.
    Music, Dance, Special Moves, Buffs, Instruments, Props, Entertainment Droids with effects.

Leveling is not as easy as it used to be. Back in the day, you could solo a whole lair and not even blink. It seems that now you need to kill 1 mob, then move on to the next. Not easy mode, not hard mode, but about medium. This is referring to same level mobs as yourself.

80-90 seems difficult to level unless you have the "Rage of the Wookies" or "Trials of Obi-Wan". If you do not have these expansions, you can still creature grind mobs, but it can get boring.

Respec is now an option for credits from Profession Counselors. Good idea here.

Crafting needs improvement. What is a world without crafters?

Interface did not have the options that I like by default, but I was able to set Pre-CU Interface options after logging in. (Auto-target, Auto-Aim)

There are hints in the game that some form of creature handler is coming back.

Jedi is more difficult to play, now that Expertise has been added. Either mobs have gotten stronger or Jedi have gotten weaker. I grinded the same exact mobs and levels with the same character before and after expertise was added. Before expertise I was able to wipe out an entire lair of same level mobs at once without pause, not pulling singles. Now my Jedi needs to pull single mobs to live.

I don't have a problem with Jedi. Jedi, Officer and commando seem to be similar to before. You tab to target, hold down the left mouse and as long as you are in range you are hitting. With BH, Medic and Spy (not sure, can't remember on spy) you need to keep cross hairs on your target. Whereever they are that's where you shoot. It makes ganking dangerous because if your target runs around alot, you risk shooting everything he crosses over. I don't know about smuggler, not played it yet.

I noticed AI using specials but associated it with levels and not the expertise. Anything with <name> and worse <<Name>> will have more health as well. You will also find certain mobs are just easy to kill. This is very true with Jedi. Sharnaff, Aakuan, even Rancor go down very fast. Anything with a gun is going to stomp you bad. Saber block will help but if you are being ganked on by ranged, your up the creek.

I won't lie. I hate NGE but because it replaced what I liked more. When I view it as another game, it's not a bad game. I played Pre-CU for 2 years. I won't be in NGE that long. It's just not that immersive. Populations are gone, they will never return, not to NGE servers. Bria seems to have activity but even it is a veteran group that has alts. There is plentry of exper to be had and I am sure that on one character, you could get 90 in a month. You may not get all the leet loots but that can come at 90 because in the end I don't find stats matter much other than your weap. I took a 61 Jedi and hit 2 white con pickets. One with nothing but a scythe, the other with all my modded clothes and some mando wine. The difference being about 200 strength and both took 40 hits to kill, so I don't think anything outside dps matters. Even the Con is only going to jump you max 1800 and that's 2 hits in this game.

All said, try it. Just don't expect what was there before.

I just had to cancel again. So few players. I gave it a try, 3rd time this year and I just cannot stay with it.