Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really thinking about getting into this game

Alright so I need a new MMO. i quit all the ones i played (which was really only WoW and CoH) becuase i either got tired of them or didnt like them. I am a HUGE star wars fan. i downloaded the trial of this game and liked it, but i wanted more. I guess what im asking is:

Is there a good enough community to have fun in this game? Are there enough people? I guess im just worried about it not feeling "massive" becuase thats what i enjoy about MMO's. I know the numbers have all but dwindled in the past months, but i was on the forums and it seems like a solid player base. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Comments

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    I will hold back any negative thoughts i have and thats many many negative thoughts, what i would suggest is go on the bria server and join a guild called the brotherhood of ni, that is the guild i was in, they still have a hrdcore guild playerbase, send a tell to ak-ice or zaitsev or sidi or ak-fire, they will send you in the right direction and show you a good time ingame. Thats all i can tell ya to do man, i used to eb a hardcore player but do to changes i no longer like this game.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    While not as big as other MMO's out there, SWG probably as one of the best communities :)

• CymekCymek Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by Obraik
    While not as big as other MMO's out there, SWG probably as one of the best communities :)

The best part is if you piss someone off, or get to hate them, SOE will probably change the game and you wont have to deal with them anymore when they quit.....
    ::::24::

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    All that I hear from new players is that the playerbase is so low meaning there is no community. The best thing you can do is test it out with the two week trial which allows you to freely roam SWG to find out for yourself.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

There are a lot of guilds around, at least on Starsider.

People are coming back due to the expertise systems.

• RokmaiRokmai Member Posts: 25

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

That's a good one.

• ravex5ravex5 Member UncommonPosts: 64

They need to merge the servers so there is more people per server but Starsider still has plenty of people to play with. The game has quite a few people left they are just spread between too many servers. You will realize this if you go to the test server right now because it is packed. I suggest playing because it is a very fun game still and there are lots of nice helpful people and a good rping community at least on Starsider. I preferred the CU but the NGE is still quite fun and there is plenty to keep you busy.

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714
    this game is an example how NOT to run a game and handle a playerbase. go ahead and play, but be warned soe has a history of completely changing the game without notice.lots of people playing? they have steadily went from 200k players down to maybe 12k. unfinished content means you are essentialy paying to beta test this game.

I agree, SWG does have one of the best communities! There are anti-SWG players around but if you ignore them  you can find out for yourself.
  • CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Originally posted by RainStar

I agree, SWG does have one of the best communities! There are anti-SWG players around but if you ignore them  you can find out for yourself.

Do you mean in-game community? Because the community of the forums is one of the worst I've ever been a part of.  The Mods refuse to do their job. I've never seen so much hate put to digital text.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

Originally posted by Cerion

Do you mean in-game community? Because the community of the forums is one of the worst I've ever been a part of.  The Mods refuse to do their job. I've never seen so much hate put to digital text.

Forums and the in game community are totally different.  Even the people you see spouting on and on in threads on the forums aren't really like that in game (well most of them).  Having said that, the Game Play Discussion forum is a completely different community from the other forums heh.

• TuocsTuocs Member Posts: 14

Agree, and here is a great movie that shows our great community:)

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-7991921690761743767

Tuocs

• GunnyFisherGunnyFisher Member Posts: 65
    I resubbe4d and played for a week. got a level a day starting at 80. did this for two days. Got invited to restuss by an old friend. PvP was utterly pointless, It's just zerg attacks. cost you less that 5k a death, and there is no point. there is no risk, and no real reward. sure you earn a GCW point for every kill you get, but you get 3 for a Pve kill, and they are much easier. Don't get me started on bugs. All the old bugs are there, along with a boatload of new ones. Couldn't finish a couple of quest because of them. plus it is just annoting to clone on the wrong planet. image

Have faith in God, believe in antimatter.

Originally posted by GunnyFisher
    I resubbe4d and played for a week. got a level a day starting at 80. did this for two days. Got invited to restuss by an old friend. PvP was utterly pointless, It's just zerg attacks. cost you less that 5k a death, and there is no point. there is no risk, and no real reward. sure you earn a GCW point for every kill you get, but you get 3 for a Pve kill, and they are much easier. Don't get me started on bugs. All the old bugs are there, along with a boatload of new ones. Couldn't finish a couple of quest because of them. plus it is just annoting to clone on the wrong planet. image

How many points you get in PvP depends on how much damage you did to contribute to the kill and what rank you are.  As a Captain, if I kill another on my own I get around 120 points.  In large scale PvP you get less points per person then PvE, but PvP is more fun :P

PvP in SWG has never really had an overall point to it other then doing it for the fun of it.  At least now you earn points that gain you a rank that actually gives you decent stuff :)

• VicktoreVicktore Member Posts: 24
     there are better mmo's out there i have just quit swg after playing for three years the game is more like a beta the a full game
  • docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

Originally posted by Stormraven1
    Alright so I need a new MMO. i quit all the ones i played (which was really only WoW and CoH) becuase i either got tired of them or didnt like them. I am a HUGE star wars fan. i downloaded the trial of this game and liked it, but i wanted more. I guess what im asking is: Is there a good enough community to have fun in this game? Are there enough people? I guess im just worried about it not feeling "massive" becuase thats what i enjoy about MMO's. I know the numbers have all but dwindled in the past months, but i was on the forums and it seems like a solid player base. Can anyone elaborate on this?  
    for european server, go for chimaera. highest euro population.
    community i'd say is as with most mmo's  - there are helpful nice peeps, and there are idiots (unfortunately).
    if you reaaaally want to try it, i think no matter what people will say, you will end up there.
    just be "warned" that the full game isn't really like the beginner station as you have in the trial  -  you might feel quite lost after around level  40. but if you find a good guild you should be fine.

i returned mainly for the crafting. although only a shadow of what it used to be, it's still beats the heck out of WoW crafting!

imageimage

• Blue3000Blue3000 Member Posts: 238

"Really thinking about getting into this game".

You'll be SOOooorrrrrryyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Read the the posts and you'll see all 2 current players trying to lure you into playing. Meanwhile, you'll read the hundreds, thousands of former players who've left in disgust. Doesn't this tell you something?

One of the main reasons:  Servers are empty, empty unless of course you count the npc's running around and oh' yes, the creatures.

Many condemn housing units left abandoned by former players who took off rather then pay for a less then mediocre game.

Originally posted by Blue3000

Read the the posts and you'll see all 2 current players trying to lure you into playing. Meanwhile, you'll read the hundreds, thousands of former players who've left in disgust. Doesn't this tell you something?
    One of the main reasons:  Servers are empty, empty unless of course you count the npc's running around and oh' yes, the creatures.
    Many condemn housing units left abandoned by former players who took off rather then pay for a less then mediocre game.

Hmm I didn't know all the guilds I see on my server were figments of my imagination. lol

Originally posted by Blue3000

Hmm I didn't know all the guilds I see on my server were figments of my imagination. lol

Heh, apparantly we all imagine our way through the game image

• KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

Originally posted by Stormraven1

Alright so I need a new MMO. i quit all the ones i played (which was really only WoW and CoH) becuase i either got tired of them or didnt like them. I am a HUGE star wars fan. i downloaded the trial of this game and liked it, but i wanted more. I guess what im asking is:
    Is there a good enough community to have fun in this game? Are there enough people? I guess im just worried about it not feeling "massive" becuase thats what i enjoy about MMO's. I know the numbers have all but dwindled in the past months, but i was on the forums and it seems like a solid player base. Can anyone elaborate on this?

If you are a huge Star Wars fan, as you say you are...I implore you to not get into this game. It is not "Star Warsy".

Don't get me started on it being the most incomplete MMO I have ever paid for and three years later I still read about bugs that made me mad.

Do what you want though, I'm just trying to help.

After 3 years, some of us are still having fun!
  • I've been playing a lot the past two weeks(just se my xfire profil) and i've totally feld in love with this game again, yea sure its a totally diffrent game from what it was before cu and nge, but i think its still the best mmo out there to date.

The only thing i want is more people to play, but i see new people everyday and the server populations seems to increase too, so its looking good.

Give it a try.

• ata23ata23 Member Posts: 94

The main problem is the game WAS better. But it is still sth inside it for a fan of Star Wars. U have a chance to see Darth Wader, Han solo , Jabba etc.

Just give it a try, maybe you will like it, but for my self I cant play it anymore because I know Pre cu or Cu and NGE.

This is not the same game, its a different game,

You must make your own opinion

Cheers image

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    The trial looks kinda good, but THE GAME IS WORST, full of crappy buggs
    and exploits, a community full of whining retards, the devs are morons,
    the servers are empty, theres no challenge  in the game, everyone
    runs around and is the same proffesion that pwns all the others.

Seriosley, go play eq2 or something, almost anything is way better then swg as it is now.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

The community is full of whining noobs and old grumpy vets.

This game probably has the worst community now, and probably the worst game - in my opinion.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.