Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new player

I have been following the fact that Daoc has been in the top ten of mmorpg.com for a few years now and finaly after 3 years in AO decided to give it a try and first impresions seem exelent, plenty of depth etc, however, after having alot of fun for about 3 hours on the lansalot server (albion) i realalised that i hadnt seen a single person. also there was no one other than me on the noob chanell. i.e /gu when i first arrived.

the forums just give a garbled acount of whats going on even the noob ones with a bunch of TLA's (three letter abreviations) which asumes you know how to play. what im after is:

where are the main popluations centers? camalot certainly isnt (im not a credz plz junkie. just some other players!)

where are some decent forums with good walkthroughs explaining what suff is in simple language rather than some form of math?

is there a channel i can talk on and how do i use it with more than just me on? i.e relm wide. all i have managed to talk to so far is the noob one which has a popluation of 0 (which kind of defeats the point)

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Originally posted by eviledna
    I have been following the fact that Daoc has been in the top ten of mmorpg.com for a few years now and finaly after 3 years in AO decided to give it a try and first impresions seem exelent, plenty of depth etc, however, after having alot of fun for about 3 hours on the lansalot server (albion) i realalised that i hadnt seen a single person. also there was no one other than me on the noob chanell. i.e /gu when i first arrived.

the forums just give a garbled acount of whats going on even the noob ones with a bunch of TLA's (three letter abreviations) which asumes you know how to play. what im after is:

where are the main popluations centers? camalot certainly isnt (im not a credz plz junkie. just some other players!)

where are some decent forums with good walkthroughs explaining what suff is in simple language rather than some form of math?

is there a channel i can talk on and how do i use it with more than just me on? i.e relm wide. all i have managed to talk to so far is the noob one which has a popluation of 0 (which kind of defeats the point)

First.... time to re-roll... on one of the "Classic" servers (Ector, Gareth or Lamorak).  You will find plenty of people playing new characters and on the "noob" guild channel.  You won't get to play the TOA expansion or use any of its cool powers and artifacts, but trust me on this,  you don't really want to at this point in the game.  Re-roll where I've told you and come join the party. (Gareth is the busiest one, so I recommend it). You should find plenty of players in Camelot, I know on the Hibernia side there are lots of folks in Tir Na Nog. Not sure how the Midgard realm fairs...but seriously..you really wanted to be a Hib, right?  :)

Second, stay with the noob guild for awhile, its the only chat you're going to find with people on it.  You next goal should be to hook up with a guild. Once you do, you'll have access to a number of players who can answer many of your questions and even assist you in learning the game.  If you are lucky, your guild will be part of an alliance.  My own guild is pretty small, with no more than 8-10 people on line at any given time, but our alliance (Fungus Flingers) averages 100 players online at any one time.  There is an alliance chat (/as) you'll get access to which will greatly improve your chatting possibilities.

If you are bored, there are some standard chatgroups set up for the major battlegrounds and realm wars.  A quick  "/cg who" (might be /who cg, I forget) should bring up a list of 3 or 4 battle ground chatgroup leaders that you can join in and listen to the battles that are going on.  You join one of them by typing /cg join "insert chatgroup leaders name".  So if my character was chatgroup leader of Thidranki (the 20-24 battleground)... you'd type /cg join Blacklighte.

Not sure if you bought the retail game (I recommend the Epic edition) or just downloaded the trial.  The retail version comes with a nice (small) manual that will introduce you to many important aspects of the game and help get you started.    If you don't have the manual, you may go to this website   http://www.camelotherald.com/index.shtml

and you will find some good guides including a beginners one, one for each of the expansions, and detaild guides on housing, realm abilities and what not.  These should get you started on the right path.

Other good resources to look into include:

http://daoc.catacombs.com/

http://vnboards.ign.com/camelot_us_server_boards/c14945

http://daoc.warcry.com/

Please be advised....you can get started in DAOC pretty easily, but eventually you will want to do learn some of the math to help perfect your characters.  But you don't need to deal with any of that at first and don't get too concerned...I leveled my first 50 w/o worrying about any of it other than what skills and realm abilities to get.... later on I focused on Spell crafting and templates to buff him out.

Hope this helps, and if you should land on Gareth in the land of Hibernia, look me up on either Blacklighte or Klowne and I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShalandarShalandar Member Posts: 51

....again excellent advice from Kyleran.

The point he/she makes is right on the money.

Except he/she is a member of the Dark Side image   Remain pure at heart and roll Albion!image

(just kidding..Ive played all three realms...pick one that catches your fancy.  Mythology is from Norse-Midgard, Celtic-Hibernia, and Arturian (think King Arthur)--Albion.  All three are cool realms to play in, and each is vastly different that the others.

Do the new player quests! They are for the most part easy, will provide you with equipment and weapons, and your first 5 levels, but more importantly teach you the game mechanics and some of the areas you will need to know as a new player.

to talk to others:

/s hello    =  you say hello to those around you.

/y hello   =  you yell hello to those around you

/gu hello =  you say hello to people in your guild. ( you will startin the new players guild by default--thay can sanswer questions for the most part.  But keep in mind that it is for new players, so you may get some bad advice from the inexperieced know-it-all).

/bc hello   =  hello to people in your battle group

/as hello  =  hello to people in your alliance

/gc hello  =  hello to peoplein a chat group.

There are many players manuals out there. Best advice is to read up on the Herald (Kyleran posted a link above), and when you have a question in the game, dont be shy about asking someone.

Good luck to you and welcome to DAoC!image

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

I've played DAOC from an Alb/Mid perspective so Hibernia was a logical place to stage my comeback.  I remember being an Alb and ppl saying Hib casters were overpowered....

Someone needs to tell those Alb Fire Wizzy's that we're supposed to be the overpowered ones..... (jeez..they are always blowing me up unless I can get a nearsight on them)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jeeperzjeeperz Member Posts: 71

I have played all 3 realms and like the differences. I play Mids on one server, Albs on another and my 'main' toons are Hibs. 

I have played the  classic servers - left the newbie guild right away tho cuz they seemed obsessed with complaining about the toa servers - which really arent that bad anymore.  Yes, might have been just the day...

I have not played the role-playing server (not enough imagination for that)  Also not interested in the strictly PVP one.  Currently a group of game friends and I are playing the co-op server, not likely to stay there but interesting.

The point is there is something for everyone in DAoC  - it takes a wee bit of looking around/  I am surprised that you didnt find anyone around since they have had the bonus for classic areas...next bonus will be in shrouded isles for awhile..

Totally agree with the point made on Fire Wiz's - lol

• ShalandarShalandar Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by jeeperz

Totally agree with the point made on Fire Wiz's - lol

Ow! 
    have you played a Fire Wiz in NF?  No fun at all--and yeah, I
    speak from experience. Dies too fast, no utility, and eldritches and
    runies win the cool factor.

• callmetobycallmetoby Member Posts: 302
    I don't play DAOC anymore, but that's only because I've moved overseas and don't have a worthy computer at the moment. If you want some good info on classes and abilities, my favorite site for that was always www.classesofcamelot.com . It's easy to navigate and and is a great reference when comparing skills.
  • jeeperzjeeperz Member Posts: 71

Besides the aforementioned  hello's, emotes can also be a way to start a converstation with people.

When you see another newbie around MagMell/Cotswold/Mularn kill a mob after what looked like a long fight, click on them and emote a /cheer.

Rarely a /bow or /curtsey is not returned.

Or sometimes someone will /dance with you  image

there is a list of emotes on the camelotherald.com