Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Footage Leak

I didn't see this posted before, so I thought I'd link it.  It's some beta footage from AoC that has apparently been leaked. 

It looks like PvP and it looks good.  Only concern I have is that it looks like the directional attacks involve more button spamming than a quickbar.

A lot of the animations are similar as well.  To me it looks more like a hack and slash game, but I guess that's the goal.

All in all it looks pretty damn good. :)

Beta Footage

---------------------------------------------
I live to fight, and fight to live.

Comments

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

Well for one thing you could call any FPS or consol fighting game a clickfest... but its not spamming the same crap over and over and you'll notice a lot of running around and whatnot and not just standing there spamming the hotbar... there is a BIG differance...

Also, the "mouseover" effect of floating names should make a lot of people very happy, its a fine balance indeed where you can't see peoples hover-names unless you already have them targeted

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    The cool thing about this combat is if your back is turned to your opponent your defense rating drops significantly.  Same if you are spamming a lot of attacks, the more swings you are taking the more your defense drops as well.  So you do have to think about what you are doing as well as stay on your toes in this style of combat. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410
    seeing that footage makes me really want this game.

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Looks pretty good..

However I cannot help but be alittle pissed since as usually the Developers pick people like this (that will ignore their rules) to test their game, while people like me who have never EVER broken a NDA( in the 2 games that I had been lucky enough to test) will strive to provide solid feedback... Yet do I ever get picked for beta, hell no they rather pick the idiots that will constantly leak stuff during the beta process...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• Originally posted by Tinybina
    Looks pretty good..

However I cannot help but be alittle pissed since as usually the Developers pick people like this (that will ignore their rules) to test their game, while people like me who have never EVER broken a NDA( in the 2 games that I had been lucky enough to test) will strive to provide solid feedback... Yet do I ever get picked for beta, hell no they rather pick the idiots that will constantly leak stuff during the beta process...

Well I am sure once they learn to read minds everything will work out fine.

Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by Tinybina
    Looks pretty good..

Well I am sure once they learn to read minds everything will work out fine.

Post much?

You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

Originally posted by Sturmrabe
    Well for one thing you could call any FPS or consol fighting game a clickfest... but its not spamming the same crap over and over and you'll notice a lot of running around and whatnot and not just standing there spamming the hotbar... there is a BIG differance... Also, the "mouseover" effect of floating names should make a lot of people very happy, its a fine balance indeed where you can't see peoples hover-names unless you already have them targeted
    I completely disagree. Console Fighting games and FPS games can't even be considered clickfests.  I don't see the difference between spamming a hotbar wirh several different buttons is any different from spamming a circle with several different directions. 

Either way you're clicking the same thing over and over again.  The combat looks dumbed down to just hack and slash, which isn't what I look for in an MMOrpg, it's what I look for in a single player game. 

If it's hack and slash like that what's the point to having formations?  It looked very chaotic, and not at all as organized as the devs were boasting that it would be. 

I'm sure the game will be fun, but I don't see how clicking direction arrows for 80 levels is supposed to hold anyone's attention span.  At least with a hotbar your strategies change occasionally.  With a sword and shield and a circle with 6 directions, how many strategies can you really have?

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Looks like funimage

Only thing I hate about that is that goddamn hit damage balloon effect, seems to be the trend in every new game. I hope it can be turned off...

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by checkthis500

Well for one thing you could call any FPS or consol fighting game a clickfest... but its not spamming the same crap over and over and you'll notice a lot of running around and whatnot and not just standing there spamming the hotbar... there is a BIG differance...
    Also, the "mouseover" effect of floating names should make a lot of people very happy, its a fine balance indeed where you can't see peoples hover-names unless you already have them targeted

I completely disagree. Console Fighting games and FPS games can't even be considered clickfests.  I don't see the difference between spamming a hotbar wirh several different buttons is any different from spamming a circle with several different directions. 

Either way you're clicking the same thing over and over again.  The combat looks dumbed down to just hack and slash, which isn't what I look for in an MMOrpg, it's what I look for in a single player game. 

If it's hack and slash like that what's the point to having formations?  It looked very chaotic, and not at all as organized as the devs were boasting that it would be. 

I'm sure the game will be fun, but I don't see how clicking direction arrows for 80 levels is supposed to hold anyone's attention span.  At least with a hotbar your strategies change occasionally.  With a sword and shield and a circle with 6 directions, how many strategies can you really have?

A.) the default controlls for weapon swing is the numpad keys

B.) Linking together attacks in certain ways allows the player to attack much faster and do more damage, which means that the best people will be planning their attack at least a little bit into the future.

C.) Striking your target in different locations will be more or less effective depending upon what you hit, how you hit it, and what kind of protection is on the body part. Once again, this means the person who pays attention and doesn't just spam buttons has advantage.

D.) Footwork is important, you must keep your body situated in a fashion that you can engage and defend against your enemy.

E.) Formations are important in large group scenarios. With the collision detection, it means one cannot just run by to get behind you, a tightly packed formation equipped with polearms is also the only effective way to resist a cavalry charge. Mass and inertia are very important. However, formations are not useful for a small group of people, such as whats shown here in the vid, there, its much more effective for each unit to remain free to move.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

Originally posted by Aelfinn
    Well for one thing you could call any FPS or consol fighting game a clickfest... but its not spamming the same crap over and over and you'll notice a lot of running around and whatnot and not just standing there spamming the hotbar... there is a BIG differance... Also, the "mouseover" effect of floating names should make a lot of people very happy, its a fine balance indeed where you can't see peoples hover-names unless you already have them targeted

A.) the default controlls for weapon swing is the numpad keys

B.) Linking together attacks in certain ways allows the player to attack much faster and do more damage, which means that the best people will be planning their attack at least a little bit into the future.

C.) Striking your target in different locations will be more or less effective depending upon what you hit, how you hit it, and what kind of protection is on the body part. Once again, this means the person who pays attention and doesn't just spam buttons has advantage.

D.) Footwork is important, you must keep your body situated in a fashion that you can engage and defend against your enemy.

E.) Formations are important in large group scenarios. With the collision detection, it means one cannot just run by to get behind you, a tightly packed formation equipped with polearms is also the only effective way to resist a cavalry charge. Mass and inertia are very important. However, formations are not useful for a small group of people, such as whats shown here in the vid, there, its much more effective for each unit to remain free to move.

A.) Using the numpad to attack means I have to take my hand off the mouse hit numbers put it back on the mouse to click something, take it back off, etc..  It just seems inefficient to me. It seems to me that people with a gamepad will have the upper hand.  To me that makes the game more of a console game than anything.  And what about the people that use arrows, they're going to need a mouse and keyboard if it's going to be FPS style.  That means that if you're melee you'll benefit from a gamepad more, but if you have arrows you'll benefit from a mouse and keyboard more.  Just seems too inconsistent to me.  Especially if there are hybrid classes.

B.) I don't think there will be that many interesting ways to link attacks together and I think it will get boring.

C.) and D.) could you point me to where you heard about this.  This would be news to me.  I haven't heard anything about collision detection to that magnitude as something that is going to be in the game.

E.) Again, can you point me to where the devs have stated that the game will involve mass and inertia into group fighting? 

(My questions for information aren't meant to be rude, I really want to find that information.)

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    Those fight sequences look just like the fight sequences in DDO.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• WendoXXXWendoXXX Member CommonPosts: 165
    they use swords.... clearly a WoW clone.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

A.) Using the numpad to attack means I have to take my hand off the mouse hit numbers put it back on the mouse to click something, take it back off, etc..  It just seems inefficient to me. It seems to me that people with a gamepad will have the upper hand.  To me that makes the game more of a console game than anything.  And what about the people that use arrows, they're going to need a mouse and keyboard if it's going to be FPS style.  That means that if you're melee you'll benefit from a gamepad more, but if you have arrows you'll benefit from a mouse and keyboard more.  Just seems too inconsistent to me.  Especially if there are hybrid classes.

I assume they will have WASD movement which will be very efficient in combination with number pad IMO.  If you dont like WASD movement and are used to using the mouse then yes a gamepad would be helpful.  From what I read though, the keymapping and UI will be very customizable so you wouldnt have to use the number pad.  That is the great thing about this game is all the options. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube

Originally posted by achesoma
    Originally posted by checkthis500 A.) Using the numpad to attack means I have to take my hand off the mouse hit numbers put it back on the mouse to click something, take it back off, etc..  It just seems inefficient to me. It seems to me that people with a gamepad will have the upper hand.  To me that makes the game more of a console game than anything.  And what about the people that use arrows, they're going to need a mouse and keyboard if it's going to be FPS style.  That means that if you're melee you'll benefit from a gamepad more, but if you have arrows you'll benefit from a mouse and keyboard more.  Just seems too inconsistent to me.  Especially if there are hybrid classes.

I assume they will have WASD movement which will be very efficient in combination with number pad IMO.  If you dont like WASD movement and are used to using the mouse then yes a gamepad would be helpful.  From what I read though, the keymapping and UI will be very customizable so you wouldnt have to use the number pad.  That is the great thing about this game is all the options. 

I love wasd movement, I'm wondering about pitch and rotation.  Normally WASD are set to strafe and forward and backward.  If instead they are set to turning, then camera movement will be limited for people that are going to use the numpad.

Note: I'm not complaining about the system itself, just the system in regards to MMORPGs.  I don't think it's a good system for an MMO. 

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

Exactly what Aelfinn said above, "spamming" is hitting the same button over and over, that will NOT work in AoC, you have to use different combos, including kicks and grabs that simply will not work unless you mix things up...

NO spamming, no way, no how

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

Exactly what Aelfinn said above, "spamming" is hitting the same button over and over, that will NOT work in AoC, you have to use different combos, including kicks and grabs that simply will not work unless you mix things up... NO spamming, no way, no how
    .13 Seconds into the video the guy with a 2h does THE SAME attack 3 times in a row atleast, all in rapid succession...Naw thats not spamming

.22 Seconds into the video one of the 'clones' as I call them (tan helm, 1h shortsword and shield) does THE SAME attack  3 times in a row atleast, all in rapid succession... Naw thats not spamming

.31 Seconds in another 'clone' (tan helm, 1h Longswords this time *lol*, and shield) does THE SAME attack alteast 4 times in a row all in rapid succession..Naw thats not spamming either..

Thats within the first 30 seconds of the video im sure if you go further you will see more cases of people 'Not spamming'.....

I love this game as much as anyone and have been a registered user on AOC forums since May of 05.. But saying you will not be able to spam in this game is (to quote mike tyson) is "ludicrous".

• Povey151Povey151 Member Posts: 250

Exactly what Aelfinn said above, "spamming" is hitting the same button over and over, that will NOT work in AoC, you have to use different combos, including kicks and grabs that simply will not work unless you mix things up... NO spamming, no way, no how
    .13 Seconds into the video the guy with a 2h does THE SAME attack 3 times in a row atleast, all in rapid succession...Naw thats not spamming

.22 Seconds into the video one of the 'clones' as I call them (tan helm, 1h shortsword and shield) does THE SAME attack  3 times in a row atleast, all in rapid succession... Naw thats not spamming

.31 Seconds in another 'clone' (tan helm, 1h Longswords this time *lol*, and shield) does THE SAME attack alteast 4 times in a row all in rapid succession..Naw thats not spamming either..

Thats within the first 30 seconds of the video im sure if you go further you will see more cases of people 'Not spamming'.....

I love this game as much as anyone and have been a registered user on AOC forums since May of 05.. But saying you will not be able to spam in this game is (to quote mike tyson) is "ludicrous".
    wow....you can see the video so fast that you can break it into tenths of a second.....ur eyes are fast

• kalzerokalzero Member Posts: 3

Checkthis500,

I can see that you are skeptical about the game, I can give you a little more information. But it is best for you to search their main webpage and read on their long FAQ, it is very detailed and give you about the basic information you would need to know about that category. All I can say about this game, is that I'm skeptical too, but I'm truly interested in this innovative style of MMORPG on the market and really want to know more information in any possible ways.

A.)Using the numpads to attack isn't much of a hassle. Your mouse is on the right side next to the numpads and it will only take you a second to switch unless you are a lefty. You will probably only use numpads to attack only and nothing else. Out of my assumption, using the mouse will only provide the range FPS combat, and interaction in town with vendors and such. So I do not see much of a problem people would have. Same thing goes if you are chatting in the game with other players. Would u still hold that mouse with that right hand and type up the conversation with your left? With the gamepad, I don't think people with gamepad will have the upperhand, it is the player's skills. You can be good at keyboard and suck with a gamepad, or vice versa or even both. It depends on your taste. No easy mode for each. The game may have controls like a console, but it's not just for PC only, since Funcom will release an xbox 360 version of it.

B.)The game will feature unlockable or trainable skill/style features for your char throughout the course of leveling up to 80. As an assumption, it could be new combat style moves, skills, and fatalities that you need to link up different numpad key presses to perform. An example could be if you want to peform a knockdown technique, you have to press so, and so to perform it and not just spamming one or two keys, but going through that combination sequence. What you see in the beta is just a sample of some guy tapping the keys over and over and not really worrying about hitting different combinations as much. The way he plays, in no offense, isn't as exciting as it should be. But you can tell, if you are spectating, it may not seem enjoyable unless you play it.

C.)Every information can be found at www.ageofconan.com fAQ and inside their forum, along with videos in the forum where the dev director explains what you can do in Age of Conan. Watch the IGN version one, I recommended. Collision detection is in the game, that is a fact and it's all in the FAQ. Collision detection proves many uses. It can use to block that person from going through your squishy friends. Unlike Daoc or WoW, there is no collision detection, and in pvp, the weak defended target that causes the most threat to players is the first to die and what can you do to help them from going through you and attacking that wizard? The numpad keys 4 5 6 7 8 9 is the six point system of directional attack. 7 is up left, 8 is top middle, 9 is up right, etc, and what Aelfinn provides is true statement directly from the FAQ.

D.)In combat, you going to be moving a lot and not staying still, what Aelfinn said that is true. But to add to his description is that if you are facing an opponent you are attacking, your back becomes vulnerable and if you are being attacked from the back, you get damaged more. So you want to try to move around and not get hit in all direction.

E.)The game will have Massive PvP at the borderkeeps and stated that formations will come into play. Formations wouldn't work effective in a small group and without a commander. If your raid group isn't in any formation, your members can be picked off easily like the the wizards will die first. In ancient wars of history, formations are keys to advancing and to keep your troops in control. Formation in AoC works like paper, scissors, and rock. You use different types of formation to counter the opposing enemy. You move in a formation and inertia to attack or defend against the enemy. Doing this will keep everyone together in one moving spot and not scattered. If there is scattering, your enemy archers for example, can pick off your softest target and kill them because they are visible to the enemy, but in a formation and collision detection with the tanks up on front, the side, and the back, the archers could not see or aim to the soft targets in the middle unless they kill the tanks first and we assume those tanks are shield users that defends against arrow attacks.

This link provides the videos of developer's interviews, I recommend you look into the IGN version because that is the most detailed description of the game from the Dev Director. He talks about formation too.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=5437

Most information can be obtain from the FAQ
    http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?session=5hlhvov2vprtath1kwwnl0e6lfrjc3&func=publish.show&func_id=1029&table=PUBLISH&template=news_no_feature&selected=1029

Originally posted by achesoma
    Originally posted by checkthis500 A.) Using the numpad to attack means I have to take my hand off the mouse hit numbers put it back on the mouse to click something, take it back off, etc..  It just seems inefficient to me. It seems to me that people with a gamepad will have the upper hand.  To me that makes the game more of a console game than anything.  And what about the people that use arrows, they're going to need a mouse and keyboard if it's going to be FPS style.  That means that if you're melee you'll benefit from a gamepad more, but if you have arrows you'll benefit from a mouse and keyboard more.  Just seems too inconsistent to me.  Especially if there are hybrid classes.

I love wasd movement, I'm wondering about pitch and rotation.  Normally WASD are set to strafe and forward and backward.  If instead they are set to turning, then camera movement will be limited for people that are going to use the numpad.

Note: I'm not complaining about the system itself, just the system in regards to MMORPGs.  I don't think it's a good system for an MMO. 

IMO, I think the system WASD is the general choice in games for PC that is FPS, MMO, and some adventure games. You want to have the same kind of controls in most games because people are used to that type. Changing it would make it hard for players. Also, giving the options to keymap is a plus. Daoc, WoW, EQ 2, all have the WASD movement. The strafe left and right are Q and E. I believe AoC will have be the same. As for pitch and rotation, I may think it might be the keys with del, home, page up, etc. or holding a ctrl or alt key plus moving the mouse.

Originally posted by kalzero
    Checkthis500,

I can see that you are skeptical about the game, I can give you a little more information. But it is best for you to search their main webpage and read on their long FAQ, it is very detailed and give you about the basic information you would need to know about that category. All I can say about this game, is that I'm skeptical too, but I'm truly interested in this innovative style of MMORPG on the market and really want to know more information in any possible ways.

A.)Using the numpads to attack isn't much of a hassle. Your mouse is on the right side next to the numpads and it will only take you a second to switch unless you are a lefty. You will probably only use numpads to attack only and nothing else. Out of my assumption, using the mouse will only provide the range FPS combat, and interaction in town with vendors and such. So I do not see much of a problem people would have. Same thing goes if you are chatting in the game with other players. Would u still hold that mouse with that right hand and type up the conversation with your left? With the gamepad, I don't think people with gamepad will have the upperhand, it is the player's skills. You can be good at keyboard and suck with a gamepad, or vice versa or even both. It depends on your taste. No easy mode for each. The game may have controls like a console, but it's not just for PC only, since Funcom will release an xbox 360 version of it.

B.)The game will feature unlockable or trainable skill/style features for your char throughout the course of leveling up to 80. As an assumption, it could be new combat style moves, skills, and fatalities that you need to link up different numpad key presses to perform. An example could be if you want to peform a knockdown technique, you have to press so, and so to perform it and not just spamming one or two keys, but going through that combination sequence. What you see in the beta is just a sample of some guy tapping the keys over and over and not really worrying about hitting different combinations as much. The way he plays, in no offense, isn't as exciting as it should be. But you can tell, if you are spectating, it may not seem enjoyable unless you play it.

C.)Every information can be found at www.ageofconan.com fAQ and inside their forum, along with videos in the forum where the dev director explains what you can do in Age of Conan. Watch the IGN version one, I recommended. Collision detection is in the game, that is a fact and it's all in the FAQ. Collision detection proves many uses. It can use to block that person from going through your squishy friends. Unlike Daoc or WoW, there is no collision detection, and in pvp, the weak defended target that causes the most threat to players is the first to die and what can you do to help them from going through you and attacking that wizard? The numpad keys 4 5 6 7 8 9 is the six point system of directional attack. 7 is up left, 8 is top middle, 9 is up right, etc, and what Aelfinn provides is true statement directly from the FAQ.

D.)In combat, you going to be moving a lot and not staying still, what Aelfinn said that is true. But to add to his description is that if you are facing an opponent you are attacking, your back becomes vulnerable and if you are being attacked from the back, you get damaged more. So you want to try to move around and not get hit in all direction.

E.)The game will have Massive PvP at the borderkeeps and stated that formations will come into play. Formations wouldn't work effective in a small group and without a commander. If your raid group isn't in any formation, your members can be picked off easily like the the wizards will die first. In ancient wars of history, formations are keys to advancing and to keep your troops in control. Formation in AoC works like paper, scissors, and rock. You use different types of formation to counter the opposing enemy. You move in a formation and inertia to attack or defend against the enemy. Doing this will keep everyone together in one moving spot and not scattered. If there is scattering, your enemy archers for example, can pick off your softest target and kill them because they are visible to the enemy, but in a formation and collision detection with the tanks up on front, the side, and the back, the archers could not see or aim to the soft targets in the middle unless they kill the tanks first and we assume those tanks are shield users that defends against arrow attacks.

This link provides the videos of developer's interviews, I recommend you look into the IGN version because that is the most detailed description of the game from the Dev Director. He talks about formation too.

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?session=5hlhvov2vprtath1kwwnl0e6lfrjc3&func=publish.show&func_id=1029&table=PUBLISH&template=news_no_feature&selected=1029

A.) My entire point of stating the stuff with the numpad is that it's inefficient.  I'll be using the mouse simply because all of the functionality with pitching, rotating the camera, attacking, changing the direction I'm facing, etc. I can access without lifting my hand and trying to find keys to hit. 

B.)The system of chaining attacks isn't a new thing to me.  It's the same as chaining skills/abilities in other MMOs.  You can't spam buttons if you're an infiltrator in DAoC for instance, you have to be in a certain position and based on your attacks you link other attacks to create combos.  I think chaining attacks is going to be just as repetitive, if not more, because I'm sure there will be a few that are easier and do more damage than others. 

C.) I wasn't doubting that collision detection would be in the game.  I knew that.  I was doubting collision detection to the point of doing more damage to a certain body part because of how much armor is at that particular spot.  I took that to mean that if their forearm is unarmored and my swing comes in contact with their forearm then it does more damage than if I hit them in the shoulder where there is armor.

D.) I also understand that getting attacked from behind or the side is going to do more damage, that was in WoW and DAoC as well if I'm not mistaken.  You had a much higher chance of getting a critical hit if you attacked someone from behind.  The way it was worded I thought that the "footwork" and "body position" was referring to position of your body as opposed to position relative to your enemy.  Like if your feet were planted and your shield up kind of thing.

E.) I find the formation system to be very limiting and constricting.  IMO a lone person is much harder to hit with an arrow than a tightly formed group.  Hence why people would fan out and put a lot of space between them in various wars.  I don't think forcing someone to be in a specific position gives much freedom.  I think that the collision detection should be reason enough for people to form up on their own.  For instance, groups should have to communicate with eachother to tell the tanks where the archers are firing from so each tank individually can move into position, as opposed to everyone getting in a fixed formation where they just go where the group goes and turn when the group turns. 

I'm just voicing my concerns about the game.  I'll have to play it to see, but I don't think it's sounding like the game for me.  I'm wanting a game that has skill advancement and chained skills and special abilities instead of a hack and slash game where the only attack I can do with a sword is "swing in this direction, followed by swing in that direction."  The game seems limiting to me. 

I can see it's going to be a very niche game, and I think I'm finding more and more that I don't fit into that niche.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted this to be looked at seperately from my long response.  I was reading through the FAQ more thoroughly and noticed this.

"Yes, you will be able to queue attacks, but only a
    few. When you make a strike, the game will put this into queue and perform it
    when your current strike is complete. So you can line up strikes, or attacks,
    if that is what you want. Or you can fight dynamically and perform strikes as
    they are completed."

If you're able to queue up swings, then spamming buttons is what you would essentially be doing, but you just get a break in between since you can only queue up a few.

For instance, the combo up, right, left does a combo.  I quickly press up, right, left, and then wait for that to be executed.

I don't see how this is any different than hitting a button labeled "Super Hit" that attacks someone up, right, then left. 

I'm starting to think that the combat system isn't as "revolutionary" as claimed by FunCom.  In fact it seems more limiting.  You have 6 buttons throughout the entire game that you can use with the combos being more complex as you go, but not more difficult to do since you can queue them up and there's no timing involved.

Just a quam I noticed with the FAQ.  I'm not going to post them all, since there were quite a few more with the combat system that make it seem just like other MMOs but with a different interface.

Checkthis500,

A.) My entire point of stating the stuff with the numpad is that it's inefficient.  I'll be using the mouse simply because all of the functionality with pitching, rotating the camera, attacking, changing the direction I'm facing, etc. I can access without lifting my hand and trying to find keys to hit. 

B.)The system of chaining attacks isn't a new thing to me.  It's the same as chaining skills/abilities in other MMOs.  You can't spam buttons if you're an infiltrator in DAoC for instance, you have to be in a certain position and based on your attacks you link other attacks to create combos.  I think chaining attacks is going to be just as repetitive, if not more, because I'm sure there will be a few that are easier and do more damage than others. 

C.) I wasn't doubting that collision detection would be in the game.  I knew that.  I was doubting collision detection to the point of doing more damage to a certain body part because of how much armor is at that particular spot.  I took that to mean that if their forearm is unarmored and my swing comes in contact with their forearm then it does more damage than if I hit them in the shoulder where there is armor.

D.) I also understand that getting attacked from behind or the side is going to do more damage, that was in WoW and DAoC as well if I'm not mistaken.  You had a much higher chance of getting a critical hit if you attacked someone from behind.  The way it was worded I thought that the "footwork" and "body position" was referring to position of your body as opposed to position relative to your enemy.  Like if your feet were planted and your shield up kind of thing.

E.) I find the formation system to be very limiting and constricting.  IMO a lone person is much harder to hit with an arrow than a tightly formed group.  Hence why people would fan out and put a lot of space between them in various wars.  I don't think forcing someone to be in a specific position gives much freedom.  I think that the collision detection should be reason enough for people to form up on their own.  For instance, groups should have to communicate with eachother to tell the tanks where the archers are firing from so each tank individually can move into position, as opposed to everyone getting in a fixed formation where they just go where the group goes and turn when the group turns. 

I'm just voicing my concerns about the game.  I'll have to play it to see, but I don't think it's sounding like the game for me.  I'm wanting a game that has skill advancement and chained skills and special abilities instead of a hack and slash game where the only attack I can do with a sword is "swing in this direction, followed by swing in that direction."  The game seems limiting to me. 

I can see it's going to be a very niche game, and I think I'm finding more and more that I don't fit into that niche.

A.)The numpad attacks "may" be a new thing people may need to get used to, but it's not much of a hassle to me nor is it a new thing to me. I'm not speaking for everyone it's base on my opinion, but you believe that the mouse would be better choice to control all needs is how you like it which is based on your opinion. Numpads imo, is the same as hotkeys or hotkey bar. Depending on some gamers, they either have a choice to use the mouse to click their attacks or have keys pressed to perform the action. The numpad makes no difference, nor do I think it is ineffective. If you see the UI in the game, there is a section on the bottom right with the keys 4,5,6,7,8,9. Why is it there for? Do you might think it you can click on it with your mouse? I don't see a reason why not ..right? Or some ultimate skill ability to be place on it to determine that is not a regular basic attack.

B.)Daoc has those reactional and positional chain, which requires you to perform according to what it says to peform it and is not a combo where u gotta press 3 buttons to peform one move, that is what i'm referring too. And there are classes in Daoc that players use one or two moves and leave others obsolete, and I'm talking about melee classes along with archers, but casters have different spells to press on their hotkey bar. As you state with the Rogue classes, it is a more indepth class with a lil more interaction with the hotkeys, while their abilities are run through chains of attacks and positional styles. Believe it or not, you do spam like one or two moves over and over and over with Rogue classes when they are not stealthed and toe to toe with the enemy. The possible chain for them is like about 3 types of chain, if not I may be wrong. As for Age of Conan, the chain attack is  different kinds. It's like playing a fighting game on a ps 2, where u have to peform a combination chain or mixed it with different types. Daoc doesn't allow u to mix it with other types but the predefined ones in the information. It is also my assumption about the chain since I do not know how the devs gonna implement long chains or not or even different combination ones. Regardless of all, any mmo has some sort of spamming of keys or clicks. It's just that AoC is more in depth and interactive with it's combination of attacks.

C.)Collision detection has nothing to do with what armor you wear. I agree to what you said. Lets hope they wear no bottom armor, and kick them in the nutz?

D.)Thats what I meant, you have to keep moving on your toes if you want to survive like every other game..That is no difference.

E.)Well in the heat of battle in the game..planning a formation will take some time if done manually. You would have mistakes with that process. I do agree that I wouldn't want to have no action or whatsoever to control where I move my char in the formation. However, like everyone else, I do not know much about manual formation or how devs are going to do it. However, the only purpose it serves to keep your groups together and prevent ambushes of different types. As that example with the NPC formations in PvE sieges, I do not know if they are similar to PvP formations.

I know you are skeptical like me. However, I putting my hopes for this game and by looking at the game currently, it looks promising. There will be skill advancement, there will be chain combinations, and special abilities. The game is not hack and slash. If that is the problem then there is no FPS nor magic weaving(i need to see that) nor mounted combat, we'll be playing something similar to Diablo. That leaked beta, is still beta and the guy didn't even perform any combos. With sample gameplay videos from IGN, and such, u can see the dev playing the char using different combo chains and so forth. Like the kicking slash for example, where he did a combination of performing a kick then a quick slash. This game isn't for everyone, it's made for mature players and give you the freedom to control your attacks, not time-attack and spamming one or two keys that are known to have the best skills on your hotbar. There is no MMORPG out there for me but AoC because every other MMO is a cookie cutter of one another without any innovative ideas that can change the gameplay and start a revolution in the genre.

Originally posted by Povey151

wow....you can see the video so fast that you can break it into tenths of a second.....ur eyes are fast

Oh golly gee your right now that me thinks about it, it migta been easier if I used liek the pause button or sumetin.  Adah....

I know you are skeptical like me. However, I putting my hopes for this game and by looking at the game currently, it looks promising. There will be skill advancement, there will be chain combinations, and special abilities. The game is not hack and slash. If that is the problem then there is no FPS nor magic weaving(i need to see that) nor mounted combat, we'll be playing something similar to Diablo. That leaked beta, is still beta and the guy didn't even perform any combos. With sample gameplay videos from IGN, and such, u can see the dev playing the char using different combo chains and so forth. Like the kicking slash for example, where he did a combination of performing a kick then a quick slash. This game isn't for everyone, it's made for mature players and give you the freedom to control your attacks, not time-attack and spamming one or two keys that are known to have the best skills on your hotbar. There is no MMORPG out there for me but AoC because every other MMO is a cookie cutter of one another without any innovative ideas that can change the gameplay and start a revolution in the genre.

I guess I just see what they're claiming as "revolutionary" as the same thing but with a different method.  For instance, to me it looks like they're replacing a few buttons on a hotbar to spam with a few directions on a circle to spam.  I'm sure there will be combos that work all the time, and that people consider to be "the best" just as there are skills in other MMOs that people consider to be the best.

After thumbing through the classes, the amount that are going to use melee weapons far outnumbers the amount of classes that use ranged, or spell-weaving.  There are only 2 classes out of the 23 that use a bow or crossbow from the descriptions on the community portal.  there are also only 4 or 5 mage types that aren't healers.  This means that there are 16 classes that use melee weapons. 

i don't see that as being very diverse and considering the skills you get with melee weapons are all forms of combos with 6 directions, I'm failing to see the variety that they're claiming to have.

The more I read, the more it seems like every other MMO with a fancy bow on top that says "MATURE" and "REVOLUTIONARY" when the only thing mature is the amount of gore and nudity and the only thing revolutionary is the spell weaving and ranged combat, which are a very noticeable minority in the game's classes.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

I guess I just see what they're claiming as "revolutionary" as the same thing but with a different method.  For instance, to me it looks like they're replacing a few buttons on a hotbar to spam with a few directions on a circle to spam.  I'm sure there will be combos that work all the time, and that people consider to be "the best" just as there are skills in other MMOs that people consider to be the best.

After thumbing through the classes, the amount that are going to use melee weapons far outnumbers the amount of classes that use ranged, or spell-weaving.  There are only 2 classes out of the 23 that use a bow or crossbow from the descriptions on the community portal.  there are also only 4 or 5 mage types that aren't healers.  This means that there are 16 classes that use melee weapons. 

i don't see that as being very diverse and considering the skills you get with melee weapons are all forms of combos with 6 directions, I'm failing to see the variety that they're claiming to have.

The more I read, the more it seems like every other MMO with a fancy bow on top that says "MATURE" and "REVOLUTIONARY" when the only thing mature is the amount of gore and nudity and the only thing revolutionary is the spell weaving and ranged combat, which are a very noticeable minority in the game's classes.

Even if the combat system is rather repetitive as you seem to think it will be, I would still vastly prefer it to the standard, which is start the autoattack and go to sleep, hitting one or two hotbar buttons every 10 seconds or so.

Each weapon type has its own attacks and combination sets, and some have more or less directions to hit, 6 is simply the standard.

Every single class has some form of ranged combat, the Waylayer and the Ranger are just the ones that specialize in it. Some will probably be nearly as competent as the above, some just using a few carried throwing weapons in cases where closing the distance takes too much time.

Nearly all of the priests are only healers as a secondary function, with primary abilities as that of a combat mage.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway