Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

C'mon, give us a 3D MMORPG

Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574
Use the Diablo engine if you have to.

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Are you kidding? EA give the customers what they want? What are you smokin'?::::02::

• PsyXPsyX Member Posts: 220
    the UO:KR graphics engie is comming 2007..

Is that going to be fully 3d or another isometric whitewash? If they don't make it fully 3d and up to todays standards; i.e. Everquest 2, but just another isomtric comb-over of the game like they have continuously done, they wil fail. They had it right with UO2, but scrapped it because they were idiots. It's time they brought UO up to par. It could truly be the game to knock WoW off it's throne if they would just get it right with the latest graphics engine and visual mechanics but keep the UO world; it's towns, it's lore, etc. the same. And they would need to make at least one shard that was under pre-Trammel rules for the pvp crowd. However, with EA at the helm and no chance in hell for them to bring Richard Garriott in to head the development, I just don't see that happening.

• vengeful85vengeful85 Member Posts: 65
     I concur, EA should really get on the bandwagon and make UO true 3D, these re-paints of all the same old stuff is not 3D! Stop Calling it that.  The game has all the potential to be #1 again. There is easily enough interest and a large enough following to support a new version, EA seems to think that they need to stick so closely to thier idea that this game needs to be low on the system reqs,  when in reality most gamers these days  have systems that are easily up to the task of running a modern full 3D MMO. This isn't 1997 anymore, and  not too many people  have systems from that era,  so COME ON   EA   lets step  up UO  put the team from Mythic to work and  jump it into the modern world with both feet and make some waves!!  
  • GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

Originally posted by Billius8
    Use the Diablo engine if you have to.

Its funny you mention the Diablo engine.  I infact had emailed Origin back in the day to consider using the Diablo 2 engin in making their new Ultima Online 2.  I still think this would be very viable vs todays games also. 

Its a great looking engine and you don't need the top computer components to run it.  Thus tons of people could immediately start playing.  Also reducing lag issues that today's game run into.

I just wish they listened to me yrs ago lol.

Oh well.

• AwakenedAwakened Member UncommonPosts: 595

I've really been trying to figure out what they ultimate plan for UO is...  I still have no fucking clue.  They need to formulate a plan and stick with it or something.  I think their biggest dilema is trying to figure out how to re-open the doors to the thousands of PvPers that want back in without destroying their lovely carebear world they created.  Once they figure that one out I bet something a little more drastic will take place...

Either that or they're just retarded IRL.

What greater tribute to free will than the power to question the highest of authority? What greater display of loyalty than blind faith? What greater gift than free will? What greater love than loyalty?

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717
    from what I understood, the KR is revamped graphics, but not true 3d, still isometric..... :(

imageimage

Originally posted by docminus
    from what I understood, the KR is revamped graphics, but not true 3d, still isometric..... :(

Yep, that's exactly what it is. The same shit they do every time and say "Look! New graphics!" EA cannot and/or will not do what is neccessary to put UO back in the running as a top mmorpg. UO will NEVER be FULL 3D as long as EA/Mythic is involved because THEY DON"T CARE! They will continue to whitewash the graphics every once in awhile so n00bs think something new is happening and will keep the money coming in. When people wake up to the fact EA/Mythic doesn't respect what their customers want, only their customers money, maybe they'll stop feeding EA/Mythic the money. And then maybe EA/Mythic will care. But I doubt it. They'll just close down the game and put out another Madden remix.::::07::

Everybody thought Mythic might be the force to get UO back on track since they have been successful in mmorpgs vefore. Not gonna happen. If Mythic bought EA, it might have been different. However, EA bought Mythic. Which makes Mythic total shit. EA is the biggest, messiest, most puss-filled ass-sore company around when it comes to mmos. Maybe someday enough people will get wise to this fact and finally lance 'em. Maybe then UO will have a chance.

I sense much anger in this one.... :D

I just wonder if there were a real revamp to a real 3d engine, if all the long term players who actually keep this game alive, would stay.
    after 3, or 6 or so years with the same game, you must get used to the graphics, makes you probably "feel at home".... maybe there will be a mass exodus if such a revamp actually would happen....???

imageimage

I sense much anger in this one.... :DI just wonder if there were a real revamp to a real 3d engine, if all the long term players who actually keep this game alive, would stay.
    after 3, or 6 or so years with the same game, you must get used to the graphics, makes you probably "feel at home".... maybe there will be a mass exodus if such a revamp actually would happen....???

If a revamp of the engine and graphics happened, the players now playing would still be there, the old players would come back (as long as an FFA server was also added with pre-Trammel rules), and new players would flock to it because of all the features and things to do. UO the game itself is pretty solid. It just needs to be brought into the 21st century so that it can compete on an even ground. And it would also not be hard to keep one or two servers running the original version for those who do like the isometric design as well as those with not-so-great comps. There is no reason why this couldn't be a total success except for the fact that EA makes a living by milking their games into the ground and/or destroying them. JMHO.

reason why i wrote that thought was, that there are tons of people still using 2d engine, either because they prefer it (being used to it) or because they have old pcs. so if there is a full fledged 3d engine, they might not be able to play/want to play (unless there are some servers with old style graphics as you suggest, but somehow i doubt there will be enough compatibiliy - and as you say, since when does ea care about what customers want?)

imageimage

• Dregard44Dregard44 Member Posts: 103

reason why i wrote that thought was, that there are tons of people still using 2d engine, either because they prefer it (being used to it) or because they have old pcs. so if there is a full fledged 3d engine, they might not be able to play/want to play (unless there are some servers with old style graphics as you suggest, but somehow i doubt there will be enough compatibiliy - and as you say, since when does ea care about what customers want?)

The plain and simple point is: They wont have a game if they continue down the path they are going.

I played UO back in the day, loved it. And well, I would play again if there was an actual graphics upgrade. And even then, im sure its possible to make the graphics optional, so that some can play in full 3D, others can stay with the 2D.

There was a pre-tram server last time I played, Seige Perilous.

A Legend was Born

• MachoMMachoM Member Posts: 89
    It might be nice to have UO upgraded to a 3d system, but I'm not sure how that would work.  They would have to make a lot of changes to many aspects of the game in order for the 3d engine to work at all.
  • lalapolklalapolk Member Posts: 5
    I would really like to see it 3D as well but I don't see it happening very soon.  Guess we'll just have to wait. 

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

Originally posted by vengeful85
     I concur, EA should really get on the bandwagon and make UO true 3D, these re-paints of all the same old stuff is not 3D! Stop Calling it that.  The game has all the potential to be #1 again. There is easily enough interest and a large enough following to support a new version, EA seems to think that they need to stick so closely to thier idea that this game needs to be low on the system reqs,  when in reality most gamers these days  have systems that are easily up to the task of running a modern full 3D MMO. This isn't 1997 anymore, and  not too many people  have systems from that era,  so COME ON   EA   lets step  up UO  put the team from Mythic to work and  jump it into the modern world with both feet and make some waves!!  

I agree, although I doubt the team from Mythic would be up to ths task, with all they have going on right now.  R. Garriot is also not a likely candidate, but there is a lot of talent out there, and I believe that Ultima Online can be a real success as a modern 3D mmo.  It is still successful now, though, so this may be why EA doesn't put more effort into it's improvement and modernization . . .

Originally posted by Tymora
    It is still successful now, though, so this may be why EA doesn't put more effort into it's improvement and modernization . . .

Exactly. It makes them enough money to slap together Madden #242353342324. That's all EA cares about.