Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about the Buddy Passes

NecianNecian Member Posts: 73
I was kind of curious-- if you use a buddy-pass and then actually purchase the game do you get another month for free? And do you get to keep the same account with the same characters and such?

Comments

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Necian
    I was kind of curious-- if you use a buddy-pass and then actually purchase the game do you get another month for free? And do you get to keep the same account with the same characters and such?

OK, what it comes down to is registration codes. The registration code for FFXI allows you to create an FFXI account (and then it's used up). The registration codes for the expansions (there are three, Rise of the Zilart, Chains of Promathia, and Treasures of Aht Urhgan) allow you to permanently affix the rights to play that expansion to an FFXI account (and then it's used up). A buddy pass gives you a registration code for FFXI *only*. This is fairly limiting, as without Rise of Zilart, you can't get to Khazam and the jungles of Elshimo, which these days you need access to to level past 25. Now, when you buy FFXI, you get a registration code for FFXI, a registration code for Rise of the Zilart, and, if you got the newest (2007) edition, registration codes for Chains and Treasures as well. What you do now is up to you. You can use the expansion registration codes on the account you created with the buddy pass and continue playing with it. This actually leaves you with an FFXI code left over, which you could give to somebody else as a kind of do-it-yourself buddy pass. Or you can use all the codes in the FFXI you bought and start a new account. If you do that, you get a month for free, just like you always do when you start a new account.

Chris Mattern

• NecianNecian Member Posts: 73
    Great. That answered my questions perfectly. Thanks!