Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Column: Scary Things, Scary Day

Dave Bonnewell's weekly "Behind the Online" returns with his special Halloween edition. He wonders what is scarier: his column, Jack Thompson or zombies? Zombie MMOs of course!

Again I put the mouse button smack down on that Google, this time searching for what the world needs now, zombie MMOGs, sweet zombie MMOGs. While a couple of interesting looking free zombie-themed MMOs (Urban Dead and Project Necrosis) topped the Google list, what really caught my eye was Exanimus. The term Exanimus means roughly "without life" in Latin, while Exanimus the game means playing as either a "living survivor" or as one of the roaming undead in a MMO world devastated by a post-apocalyptic future. Think Dead Rising meats Stubbs the Zombie.

The whole article is here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• kyrawolfkyrawolf Member UncommonPosts: 23
    What developers seem to forget is that while they may work ON a game, the players live IN the game.  Since the environment for this one is almost certain to be ugly and oppressive, the game will fail to attract and keep large numbers of players.  This is a case where it could very well be considered cool, but still it will be limited to a niche game, at best.
  • KawikaKawika Member Posts: 81
    Everyone should expect to see a more in-depth look at zombie-themed MMOs in November 14th's Behind the Online column, by the way. Have a fun and safe Halloween (or All Hallow's Eve) night everybodyand don't take any wooden Snickers!

• lorechaserlorechaser Member Posts: 124
    I would definitely recommend Urban Dead.  I've wasted many an hour at work wandering the streets of Malton and fending off (or leading) zombie hordes.  

Who am I?
    @Lorechaser on CoH
    Badjuju, Splinterhoof, Plainsrunner on WoW (Moonrunner)
    Shyy'rissk on SWG (Flurry)
    ClockworkSoldier, HE Pierce, Letnev on Planetside
    Gyshe, Crucible, Terrakal on DDO
    And many more.

• LissetteLissette Member Posts: 16

Love your columns!  <3  And Exanimus is one I have had my eye on since I found out about it about 6 months ago.  It will be interesting if they can pull if off and make a dark , gritty but entertaining game. :)

p.s.  For some reason thinking of you and scary brought to mind a couple of pics from a (not to be mentioned) defunct site. ;) I think you know the ones that I mean. :D

Julie "Lissette" Myers
    Lissette, Lissy, Lyssette etc of LotRO
    formally,
    Lissette, Lissy, Lyssette etc of DDO
    Lyssette of Anarchy Online
    Lissette of Shadowbane
    Lissette of Asheron's Call
    Lissy of World of Warcraft
    And many more!

• KawikaKawika Member Posts: 81

@ lorechaser: Thanks for the heads up about Urban Undead. I'll definitely take a look at it for the column. image

@ Lissette: Hi hon! image I refuse to acknowledge any such pics on the grounds that it may incriminate me. image