Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uncharted waters Online?

As a die hard fan of the series and after having the chance to play this game through the weaving through the japanese fourteen day trial, only to see how amazing it is. how many of you would play this game?

In the trial here is what i loved about this game
It felt like New Horizons, online online and huge
You can sail the entire world with changing weather, ships specific to the region
you can change the political climate by investing in the cities.
you can customize your ship as well as your avatar,
there is avatar combat along side naval combat.

I wish I could let go of the possibility of this game making it to the US, but after playing it. I just cant give up

Comments

• DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088
    See, this is why everyone says Asian MMOs suck, because 'good' games like Uncharted Waters don't come anywhere near us, while all the rehashed crap does.

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.

• well lets make this game come to the states lets raise the awareness of it so everyone whos expose to online games can actually see one that isnt so generic.

for anyone who doesnt know, here a link to check it out
    uncharted waters

• vqlyvqly Member UncommonPosts: 296

Yes i would so play it!

Bring it Koei bring it! Take a risk. We'll come.

• I really dont want this thread to die. I want to use this as the standard to show that popular support will actually bring a game to life. WHOS WITH ME!!?!?

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    I love Uncharted Waters. Very nice ship trading/sailing game.
  • vqlyvqly Member UncommonPosts: 296

Man they teased us with a North America release date to be announced mention at E3 2005, then not a word about it since :(

pffft.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the series, Uncharted Waters, or Uncharted Waters: New Horizon (the most popular one in the Western market), was a single player game on the super nintendo (and pc) that allows you to play as a trader/pirate/privateer/adventurer/explorer in the days of exploration (think Christopher columbus).

It is pretty much open-ended single player game, but with 6 main characters and plot lines you can follow if you so wish.

In the game, you can

- be a merchant: "buy low and sell high", preparing yourself for long sea voyage to distant land with valuable cargos to make a nice buck.

- be a pirate that hunts these merchantes and loot their cargo

- be a privateer that and hunt down these pirates in the name of your country, or just nice phat lewt :D

- be an explorer and explore new area and search for lost civilizations/ruins, charted the map for a cartography guild, find new species of animals, etc.

- go around and "invest" in port to eventually own it for your country

- oh yeah, the best part of the game was, the setting is base on real history (not 100% accurate but enough to get it right and not offend).. you play as a portugese, spainish, english, french.. etc (the major players during the age of exploration). And the game was so geographically accurate (in the broad sense).. I actually enhanced my knowledge of world geography from playing this game! You can go about doing business for you countries and earn ranks... or you can just rogue it and nullify yourself from all nations and do your own thing.

It is one of the best game I have had the pleasure of playing.

And they made an online version of it, but only released to the Japan, Korea, and Taiwan market.

Supposedly you can pretty much do everything as the original, except it's in 3d and you play with other people :D

The little news I can find about it now is this outdated article :(

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/unchartedwatersonline/news.html?sid=6124944&mode=previews

Those of you that keep asking why all mmorpgs are "cookie-cutters" nowaday or there's no new concepts... pray that this game make it to the Western market ::::01::

I mean, you don't get to play as a nelf or an ogre or a spaceship ... nor a "warrior"/"mage"/"priest"... but by god you can sure make a difference (from my assumption and fantasy) to the game world. I am guessing a very robust player economy here that are important for all roles, be you an actual trader, or just a mercenary/fighter/pirate, or just an adventurer.

Please bring it, Koei.

*crosses fingers*

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

[stereotype] thats impossible! all asian mmo's are the same!!1!11one[/stereotype]

Glad to see the stereotype gets proven wrong once again.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Uncharted Waters is made by the famous KOEI game company (who brought us games like Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Nobunaga's Ambition, Gemfire, Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and Dynasty Warriors series).

• AwakenedAwakened Member UncommonPosts: 595

Originally posted by Gameloading

[stereotype] thats impossible! all asian mmo's are the same!!1!11one[/stereotype]

Every stereotype has an exception, but there's usually a justified reason for the stereotype in the first place, just from my experience.

What greater tribute to free will than the power to question the highest of authority? What greater display of loyalty than blind faith? What greater gift than free will? What greater love than loyalty?

• Bandit kings of ancient China was awesome. and I like the desription of UWO. the MMO version is amazing

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Awakened

Originally posted by Gameloading

Every stereotype has an exception, but there's usually a justified reason for the stereotype in the first place, just from my experience.

True, maybe some decent western made games will eventually come along

Here is a video of this game

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/676/676995/vids_1.html 

• WakizashiWakizashi Member Posts: 893

I had a great time playing this on teh NES as well as Genghis Khan and Shingen the Ruler.

not all made by Koei, but enjoyable all the same.

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
      LOL yes this proves it, one giant fanboi(he admits to being a huge fan) proves this game is good and all stereotypes about asian games were wrong. Christ Gameloading you have the cognitive abilities of a soccer mom.

Yes, this SOUNDs like a cool game. It looks ok.  Beyond that jury is still out till someone brings it here and some folks actually play it, me included. 

Questions on the game, how is the leveling scheme if any ? Is the land battling system grindy ?  Some more gameplay details would be nice.

Yeah definetly should be brought over here, cause I want to be wrong about asians having no originality.

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• I the land fighting isnt grindy, because its not a main focus of the game. you can of course improve your skills through fighting and you can equip better melee items like armor weapons etc. but I think its meant to add more to the adventuring of camps
    not so much requirement. I have been able to play it, on the KOEI website back in June someone posted how to register free trial accounts, and I was able to play it, of course it was all in japanese but you can decifer icons. one thing that I actually really
    liked about it, was, that it wasnt easy. storms would sink your ships, and pirates would attack you, and it wasnt just easy to sail form port to port. But we can only hope to raise enough awareness and support to bring it over to the US. But KOEI does an excellent job with this title. I have played some of the Asian themed crossovers (RF online, RYL, Archlord) and its nothing like that.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Gorukha
      LOL yes this proves it, one giant fanboi(he admits to being a huge fan) proves this game is good and all stereotypes about asian games were wrong. Christ Gameloading you have the cognitive abilities of a soccer mom.

Yes, this SOUNDs like a cool game. It looks ok.  Beyond that jury is still out till someone brings it here and some folks actually play it, me included. 

Questions on the game, how is the leveling scheme if any ? Is the land battling system grindy ?  Some more gameplay details would be nice.

Yeah definetly should be brought over here, cause I want to be wrong about asians having no originality.

the stereotype that ALL, and EVERY asian mmorpg's are the same is indeed PROVEN WRONG by this. also, you don't want to be wrong about asians having no orginality. I already proved you wrong, gave you a few titles to try that are original, and you ignored them. be smart and don't reply to this, unless you want me to prove you wrong once again.

If you do want to go into discussion with me again, remember these important things: I did research on those asian MMO's. you didn't.  I speak out of experience. You don't. I know what I'm talking about. you don't even have a clue

• I think the 14 day trials of UWO are still up and running I will navigate through it and create a walk through and post it here for you all to try

• Squall15Squall15 Member Posts: 454

wow.....this game looks great! I would love to try it if it ever came to the US. From the vid on IGN.com, it looks very well made and exciting!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have no idea what your talking about because i played unchartered waters with the exact same gameplay you eluded to about 10+ years ago.It was a little addictive for its time,but making it into a MMO would be crazy.!00 ships trying to navigate a smal area?You control a fleet of say 6 war ships the enemy has 6 thats 12 ships right there lol.Now imagine 5000 players doing this.Really this game is no biggie at all,more or less something that was meant for single player,and made to compete in a market that is far outdated now.

KOEI was marketing all these asian type games many years ago to the north americans.Romance of the three kingdoms was there best series.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• I will post the free trial, you can try it.. thats all I really can say

• As promised here is a way to sample this game. I want to take this opportunity state the obvious that this game is still in Japanese. but if you would like to see for yourself, and just sample the game. please try it.

Uncharted waters online instructions!

check it out!

• lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

If UWO is anything like the SNES version, it would be 100 times better than most of the current MMOs we have now. The best part about UW for SNES was that the game was actually fun to play, instead of being a constant grind. There really is no grind to the game as far as im concerned. The only thing that you really grind on is upgrading your ships, which doesn't feel like a grind. You can go far even with the ship you start off with. You might not be able to take down those high level pirates out there, but you could do some trading to make enough to buy yourself a nice pirate killing ride. ::::02::

I had hours of fun playing that game back in the days of the SNES, and still play it every now and then to this day. I so wish they would bring it to the US market. I would quit playing WoW (which imo is still the best mmo available atm, even though I don't really like it that much) in a heart beat if UWO came here. Guess I will have to try out the japanese version, even though it will probably depress me since there isn't a US version "yet". ::::11::

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

• if you do chose to play it lets go through it together, I am going to go back on later tonight and make a new character. but it would be easier to play with some other players.

• Kingstonex3Kingstonex3 Member Posts: 28
    Uncharted waters Online? sounds very interesting..... why haven't i seen this long time ago...lol I'l probably try this one while waiting for the wow expansion - burning crusade... :D

Originally posted by thesneak86
    As a die hard fan of the series and after having the chance to play this game through the weaving through the japanese fourteen day trial, only to see how amazing it is. how many of you would play this game?

In the trial here is what i loved about this game
    It felt like New Horizons, online online and huge
    You can sail the entire world with changing weather, ships specific to the region
    you can change the political climate by investing in the cities.
    you can customize your ship as well as your avatar,
    there is avatar combat along side naval combat.

I wish I could let go of the possibility of this game making it to the US, but after playing it. I just cant give up

Ang Sundalong Nasusugatan Nag-iibayo ang Tapang ^^^

https://gamersloot.net/catalog/

• already created my account did anyone else?

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
     I am definetly gonna try it. If Gameloading says its good it must be :)) Seriously though i will try :) and I'll be unbiased, despite it being an asian mmo :)

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.