Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW and RP? lol?

2»

Comments

• 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866
    I have to say I think when you get into it the bunch in WoW are a nice lot if you can find a small group of friends that agree with what you want to do, but otherwise.... I'd rather avoid WoW like the plague now it's in the state it's in, Blizzard practically do NOTHING to help the roleplay in the servers, roleplayers have posted dozens of topics in the suggestions board and they have all been ignored, even whine threads about getting whatever class nerfed are answered before they're locked, it's pathetic, there was one CM who actually seemed to care about roleplay called Vaneras, but I have no idea where that guy is now since Blizzard just ignore roleplayers completely and have stuck on that RP tag on a few servers to bring in some extra customers.

I really recommend people just leave WoW if they want roleplay.... Some communities seem to be alright on Darkmoon Faire and Moonglade (i've only visited them really) but Argent Dawn is just some twisted mutated creature that Blizzard are using shock pads on to keep it alive, I bloody hate it. If you ever try getting even a small amount of roleplay on Argent Dawn you'll be flamed for it, if you try and get the community together you'll be slandered for it. The few friends I have there who are still playing I honestly wish they'd at least pick another MMORPG to be honest, they're nice folks, but they just don't bother to roleplay anymore regardless of how much they're asked, persuaded or pestered, if you try setting up a guild a lot of the time the effort put into roleplayed will be half-arsed and your members will go offline for ages because they can't think of anything better to do than grind on their mains. I've even been stabbed in the back quite a few times by some of the people who I thought were friends on that server which is really pathetic since it's only a game in the first place, in case you were wondering it was with alts. on the server forum. It's just really..... well like I said pathetic, I miss my carefree roleplay that I could have when playing pre-nge SWG, heck I miss the roleplay that i could have on EQ2 when I first tried it, even THAT was better than this load of crap....

yeah I ranted, but that's something i've been wanting to get off my chest for awhile, I hope Adellion will be as good as they say personally because I may go to that.

-an angry ex-WoW player

Tolen

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

• sunherdsunherd Member Posts: 4

Mmh.I just gave up and cancelled my account.

Among the big list of reasons on the cancellation form there is one choice with RP in it: "Too little role-playing content". When I choose it, a predefined answer comes up, which states that Blizzard has taken it's hands off the RP content, so that the RP community would develop naturally. Yeah right..

Bah! They wouldn't have had to create the content! They just could've provided the in-game mechanics for us to do it..

(well.. and of course enforce the RP behaviour. But they didn't even put  up an RP popup window with "I agree to these terms and I really am a role-player" checkbox, to ease the burden. They just put some text in the chat window that is really too easy to ignore, even by accident.)

• DanubusDanubus Member Posts: 169

this topic is like an Oxymoron. There is no RP in WoW. Besides NE's cybering each other.

• beyondangelsbeyondangels Member Posts: 49

I went from level 1 to level 30 (friend went from 1-60) on The Venture Co RP-PvP server.

There was no RP what so ever on it.

Me and my friend where kinda sad since we wanted to venture into the RP domain and see how much we liked it.

I've heard there are some out there with RP heavy guilds.

Sadly all my friends quit or are not as active as they once where (college,work,senior year, etc etc)

I kinda wish WoW had a better community (or atleast I wish I could find a server with a somewhat nice one)

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

I played on Earthen Ring for more than a year... there were great peeps there i must say.

But first i'd like to state my firm belief that RP is not just something you do to excuse l33tz0r stuff.. you can't blather Thee & Thou to cover up you "PWNINg some n00b" , the RP is sposed to be in the very thing you do.

Having said that, I've done some amazing RP in WoW, exploiting the only good aspect of the game, Graphics, in the only location fit for RP... Stormwind.

Infact I love cities... Im gonna buy Warhammer Online just because the game's got the most fascinating city ever.. Altdorf... fumes-cluttered air, grey, oppressive and sad.... inquisitors and religious tension... gothic atmosphere.. it's gonna be fantastic

• 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866

I'll say it now, I played WoW for two years on the Argent Dawn server and NEVER have I seen a roleplaying community disappear or dissolve so quickly when roleplayers are usually the ones to stick around a game the longest from my experience, at the beginning of release the developers did actually seem to be doing something about enforcing the rules on the server and if there were l33ts around it was like other games where it would be just the odd idiot or two. It all started to completely go to hell on the second year, when the nerf patches were coming in and people were running out of content to play through, more and more l33ts were appearing deliberately trying to harass roleplayers and annoy them for no reason and TBC is where it finally hit, the roleplayers became non existent at that point, major roleplaying guilds that I had known and were friendly with went completely and the decent roleplayers either left or joined raid guilds and completely abandoned roleplaying.

As far as I'm concerned, roleplaying can die in WoW, instead of storylines and adventures, all I saw after a year were l33ts, cyberers and arrogant raiders, all people who wouldn't give a flying fuck about the community they were in, it's sad to see that it turned out that way, but roleplaying has no place in that game anymore.

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Something I observed several times is that when a bunch of servers went down, and a few RP servers were up, the RP servers would be flooded with snots intent on disrupting RP activities on the RP servers.  Creating toons with obviously non-RP names (some were sexist and racist) just intent on being disruptive as much as possible.

I once tried to look for a group on Greymane in an RP sort of way ("seeking adventuers to help me slay a foul villain") and got flamed for daring to type anything but "LFG Morvin 29". 

WoW's community really is lacking as a whole, but I can recall people getting dissed for using "May the Force be with you" as a parting phrase in SWG, which had a much stronger RP community than WoW could dream of.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• arcusangelusarcusangelus Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Sardokan

I played over a dozen of different MMORPGs, like Starwars: Galaxies, Everquest 2, Auto Assault, EVE and so on. So I tried in WoW in hope, that the community is not as bad, as everone says.
    I created a character on a RP-PvE-Realm to have some fun. After I logged in, the first players came and wanted to duel me. I was level 1 and I told them in the spatial channel, that they are looking to dangerous to me I do not want to fight them (I looked for a RP excusion not to duel them (I hate pvp)). After that, one these strange guys told me via tell, that he wants to fight me NOW! I whispered that I am not a fan of PvP and I just want to have some fun with RP. And what does he do? This bastard told me, that I should go to hell with my RP.
    Hello? This is a RP-PvE-Realm! I hate PvP and I just wanted to do quest, develop my character and do some nice RP. But there was no RP at all. I found no one I could invite to a small RP session and I could not finish any quests in dungeons, because every - and I realy mean EVERY - group sucked! In the first one the leader and two of his guild members went offline in the middle of the cave, because they finished all their quests and let the rest of group in the middle of the cave. In the second group, I looted several items, nothing special by the way, in a row and one guy said in a very unfriendly way that I use a tool which pimps my dice rolls.
    I had to cancel my account after 14 days of playing and after 12 harrasments in this period. Did you ever experienced RP or a nice player in WoW?

RP'ing has been rather good to me, to tell you the truth. When I was playing I found myself and RP guild, and we had some really good times RP'ing it up. It even went so far as going on to the server forums and RP'ing it up on there, and the transitioning it to ingame sessions. It's really hit or miss really. I got lucky I guess, the RP guild I was part of was a major guild withing the server, and we had great leaders who would set up RP battles and scenarios (ie: One of our guild leaders set it up that he was kidnapped by the Alliance and was injected with "the cure" that changed him from undead to human! It was awesome!!! The whole "story" lasted for months, and I got really into it.)
  • StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

RP is not typically seen in young players.  WoW = youth.  If you want to RP then don't play games that tailor to kids.  You are better off playing UO or D&D, something that attracts older players.  Not to say you can't find RP in WoW, it's just not typical.

God I hope WAR doesn't get a ton of kids like WoW!

Originally posted by Stellos

RP is not typically seen in young players.  WoW = youth.  If you want to RP then don't play games that tailor to kids.  You are better off playing UO or D&D, something that attracts older players.  Not to say you can't find RP in WoW, it's just not typical.

I think it'll start off with the older crowd (The people who know about the Warhammer Universe), but then due to popularity kids will start to filter in. Hmmmmm. . .kind of an obvious statement on my part though. heh!
  • LouiseKLouiseK Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by KillerJimmy

Oh yea: RP servers in WoW are the worst, 80% of the players joined an RP server to grief people for wanting to RP.

That about sums up my experience of them. I tried one out of curiousity but i was making a serious attempt to play along, but there seems to be more people shouting off than in the non-rp servers. I didn't meet a single rp'er in the several levels i played.

I just presumed that they would keep themselves to themselves and be at higher levels.

I met a lot of nice, friendly people in WoW but there are always the assholes.

I don't think it if fair to make generalisations on the whole WoW community... I met a lot of nice people, its just that the assholes tend to be louder and speak on behalf of everyone.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Originally posted by arcusangelus

Originally posted by Stellos

I think it'll start off with the older crowd (The people who know about the Warhammer Universe), but then due to popularity kids will start to filter in. Hmmmmm. . .kind of an obvious statement on my part though. heh!

Yeah, that is my thoughts exactly.  I mean Warhammer is not something that the younger generations know much about.  Then again, I doubt many of the WoW players today ever even played the old strategy PC games of Warcraft.  You are probably correct in saying that due to popularity they will rush in, all the while destroying any hope of RP lol.  That's kind of how WoW went I suppose.

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

No such Thing as roleplay in WoW  

Its just a grind match filled with net kiddies.

I advise you just try a proper MMO.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• ShilarShilar Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by METALDRAG0N

Small problem: Give me a good RP (non-PVP) mmo that is not a grind-fest.

"Of all the things wrong with today's RPGs, 2D characters on a 3D background is the worst."

• JodrionJodrion Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Shilar

a proper MMO "that is not a grindfest" is probably Lord of the Rings Online

• JodrionJodrion Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Sardokan

I played over a dozen of different MMORPGs, like Starwars: Galaxies, Everquest 2, Auto Assault, EVE and so on. So I tried in WoW in hope, that the community is not as bad, as everone says.
    I created a character on a RP-PvE-Realm to have some fun. After I logged in, the first players came and wanted to duel me. I was level 1 and I told them in the spatial channel, that they are looking to dangerous to me I do not want to fight them (I looked for a RP excusion not to duel them (I hate pvp)). After that, one these strange guys told me via tell, that he wants to fight me NOW! I whispered that I am not a fan of PvP and I just want to have some fun with RP. And what does he do? This bastard told me, that I should go to hell with my RP.
    Hello? This is a RP-PvE-Realm! I hate PvP and I just wanted to do quest, develop my character and do some nice RP. But there was no RP at all. I found no one I could invite to a small RP session and I could not finish any quests in dungeons, because every - and I realy mean EVERY - group sucked! In the first one the leader and two of his guild members went offline in the middle of the cave, because they finished all their quests and let the rest of group in the middle of the cave. In the second group, I looted several items, nothing special by the way, in a row and one guy said in a very unfriendly way that I use a tool which pimps my dice rolls.
    I had to cancel my account after 14 days of playing and after 12 harrasments in this period. Did you ever experienced RP or a nice player in WoW?

join Dragonblight, its a normal server and probably has more Rp than a RP server, everyone is nice and wants to join groups for quests, i guarantee you will have a great Rp time here

Originally posted by Jodrion

Originally posted by Shilar

a proper MMO "that is not a grindfest" is probably Lord of the Rings Online

Problem with LOTRO is it's very limited in options.  What I'd like is discussed here

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/150583

"Of all the things wrong with today's RPGs, 2D characters on a 3D background is the worst."

• cougardavecougardave Member Posts: 52

Sadly what you say is true on a number of WoW realms.

However, there are several RP servers that are very good, and full of real(tm) role players.

As odd as it may seem, I've actually found more quality role players on WoW than LOTRo (where it's more lore-lawyers than role-players).  There are a lot of "beginner" RP'ers as well on WoW - but at least they're interested in learning how.  And some of them turn into awesome players (have a couple of them in my guild).

WoW definitely has limitations on RP options in game (lack of RP equipment, seats in horde areas, houses, etc) but those of us that do RP manage.

Originally posted by cougardave

However, there are several RP servers that are very good, and full of real(tm) role players.
    As odd as it may seem, I've actually found more quality role players on WoW than LOTRo (where it's more lore-lawyers than role-players).  There are a lot of "beginner" RP'ers as well on WoW - but at least they're interested in learning how.  And some of them turn into awesome players (have a couple of them in my guild).
    WoW definitely has limitations on RP options in game (lack of RP equipment, seats in horde areas, houses, etc) but those of us that do RP manage.

While I do agree WoW is a good place to RP (used to love the RP servers), I had a problem with the quests ending up grinds (especially at lvl 30+), and also a lack of really unusual characters (two of which are NPCs in the MMO). I'd love to RP a Dryad, or a Naga, or even a centaur, but not a 2D race. I do want more variety to my race selections.

Originally posted by cougardave

I think the funniest thing i've ever done on WOW was I logged in real quick during New Years, and danced above the auction house. I was a Troll rogue and my weapons (I forgot what they were called) both looked like torches, so I did some fire dancing for everybody. It was hilarious. People really got into it, and started dancing around me, there we're fireworks being shot all around us. I really shoulda made a video of it.
  • cougardavecougardave Member Posts: 52

Shilar - ya know what you mean!  I would dearly love a few more races especially something unusual.  I'd love to see significantly more character customization. 

Arcusangelus- sounds like that was fun!  A shaman friend and myself often do spontaneous and planned ceremonies in public areas.  Some of the spells can produce some cool effects.  And the shaman uses totems to add to the mood during spirit dances and such :)  We've had some great interaction with people.  During the midsummer fire festivals each night we donned red garb and did fire dances in the centers of Orgrimmar and Thunderbluff.  

Wtb more dances and emotes (but that's coming with the expansion...

• 0007121500071215 Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Genner

RP in WOW is truely a galctic joke. There are of course people that try and RP but for the most part its a recreational side bar to lvl and item grinding at best. Most RP guilds dont actually RP and the majority of the players are there to grief the few that do. I believe that this is largely due to the fact that WOW for all its attempts to be anything other than, is a childs game. It is literally something anyone ages 6-100 could pick up and play for awhile with little or no learning curve. And so many people play it atm because it is literally the only thing out there thats even remotely decent. But I have faith, as I am desperately croosing my fingers in hope that Age of Conan and Warhammer offer us all a better place to be.

A game not so wise to play, though really can't explain why so many people gather in?

• CarlineCarline Member Posts: 7

So I do agree most of the common people have a mind of following others

• AnticAntic Member Posts: 1

If you are looking for a good RP conversation WOW is not the way to go. If you enjoy grouping and talking in a very infintile manner then come on in. I do play WOW but it is with a certain group of people that I enjoy playing with and that is really where the fun is. If you want to play WOW you just have to find your niche and just ignore everyone else for the most part.