Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best pvp i have seen.

I played dark age of camelot from the start and up untill a few months ago had a nice assasin with a full kit of epic items i loved the pvp side of the game however i found leveling outside of pvp rather slow and boring the plus side is there are some nice quests that help ease the pain.

As for the pvp basicaly three teams compeet for a castle in the center of the map and if your less than level 20 you will find this rather hard to do as pvp is very empty however the level 20+ maps have a lot of people and some nice mages to backstab + poison (and yes you can sneak up cloaked so they cant see and stab them to death for easy kills) playing as a rogue / assasin build was nice because you have stealth skills so you can move unseen unless you attack or unless someone has the skill to see you activated and you can climb certain areas of the wall i wasent much of a team player but the combat still kept me interested.

Ophielle.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by OphielleDiab
    I played dark age of camelot from the start and up untill a few months ago had a nice assasin with a full kit of epic items i loved the pvp side of the game however i found leveling outside of pvp rather slow and boring the plus side is there are some nice quests that help ease the pain.

As for the pvp basicaly three teams compeet for a castle in the center of the map and if your less than level 20 you will find this rather hard to do as pvp is very empty however the level 20+ maps have a lot of people and some nice mages to backstab + poison (and yes you can sneak up cloaked so they cant see and stab them to death for easy kills) playing as a rogue / assasin build was nice because you have stealth skills so you can move unseen unless you attack or unless someone has the skill to see you activated and you can climb certain areas of the wall i wasent much of a team player but the combat still kept me interested.

Ophielle.

Hmm... for an epic geared player who's played DAOC from the start (5 years ago) you sure painted a limited picture of the PvP in the game. Rogue/Assassin characters? Are you sure you've really played DAOC? They are called either Infiltrators, Shadowblades or Nightshades, depending on your faction) 

You only described the Battle ground Center keep combat which takes place in the multiple instanced type areas as you level from 1 to 50.  (ie. 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, etc etc) Its fun, to be sure, and some folks stay there most of their careers, but it certainly isn't the PvP endgame...

The real meat of the game takes place at level 50 in the open RvR areas of the game... where guilds from all three factions control keeps and towers which they can assault and defend.  Control of the keeps even has meaning, the realm with the most keeps normally has access to special dungeon content that the other side can't access until they rest control from the current leader.

There's also Relic Keeps, which contain powerful artifacts which give an entire realm bonuses to their Pvp powers if they control the relics. I defended relic keeps in battles of 100 vs 100... total mayhem .....

There's even a FFA Pvp server (although, with a small server pop) which you can run on and still get some great single and 8 vs 8 combat sessions.....

And dont forget...some quests require you to complete the objective in the PvP areas...and are great places for people to camp and wait to attack some unsuspecting person or group right as they prepare to attack their objective...

The Battle ground combat you described in your post hardly represents the full depth of DAOC's pvp opportunities...

Oh yeah, I've been away from DAOC for a few years, will be heading back to the Classic servers later this week to give the game another go as I wait for BC....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OphielleDiabOphielleDiab Member Posts: 19

I couldent remember what infs where called lol i stoped playing after they made the new server without the ToA and Catacombs mods on it lots of people moved and it went verry quiet however i still have a few accounts that i keep for the sake of it, as for RvR i never realy got into it because there was so much going on and i had taken a liking to pwning mages with poisoned weapons and hit and run tactics it worked well in pvp but in rvr there where just to many people for me picking off the odd one to make a difference.

The down side is my home had absolutly loads of good loot inside in in the chests down stairs and the rent ran out when i stoped playing i whacked a petition in because i wanted to see what was new but it seems i lost over half my stuff lol

Never been on a relik hunt either i have seen them being used tho i belive they sit on the floor and have aoe spells attached to them ?

Who do you play as in DAoC im on the merlin server with my mains and i think lancelot with my hib hunter il give you a shout if i see you in game

Ophielle.

oh i also have a heretic somewhere he was good for soloing however im told nercomancer (the one with the demon pet if i have the name wrong is still the best)

edit: i cant spell

• MaxziusMaxzius Member UncommonPosts: 248

Originally posted by OphielleDiab
    I couldent remember what infs where called lol i stoped playing after they made the new server without the ToA and Catacombs mods on it lots of people moved and it went verry quiet however i still have a few accounts that i keep for the sake of it, as for RvR i never realy got into it because there was so much going on and i had taken a liking to pwning mages with poisoned weapons and hit and run tactics it worked well in pvp but in rvr there where just to many people for me picking off the odd one to make a difference.

The down side is my home had absolutly loads of good loot inside in in the chests down stairs and the rent ran out when i stoped playing i whacked a petition in because i wanted to see what was new but it seems i lost over half my stuff lol

Never been on a relik hunt either i have seen them being used tho i belive they sit on the floor and have aoe spells attached to them ?

Who do you play as in DAoC im on the merlin server with my mains and i think lancelot with my hib hunter il give you a shout if i see you in game

Ophielle.

oh i also have a heretic somewhere he was good for soloing however im told nercomancer (the one with the demon pet if i have the name wrong is still the best)

edit: i cant spell

This may sound a bit harsh, but anyone who has played DAoC can read this post and tell right away that there is no way in hell that you have played for almost 5 years...

=====================
    -Just My Thoughts-
    Max

Currently playing: Nothing

• PatriarchPatriarch Member Posts: 64
    I was thinking that same thing. After 5 years you can't help but know every class.

RF Online- Scyros 36 Accretia Ranger *retired*
    R.Y.L Prodigy 89 Assasin *retired/banned*

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    I do not think it really matters - this is not vn.  But, for what
    it is worth, the only part I find unbelievable is up until a few months
    ago part.  No reason to use epic gear since SI.  The mention
    of backstap suggests a Thid toon because after that everyone uses
    PA. 

But anyway none of that really matters . . .

For the record, I use the term assassin a lot instead of nightshade
    unless I feel the need to mention the specific class and often I do not
    when I am talking about assassins. 

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

Agreed I think DAOC has one of the best pvp systems out there - altophugh I do think the melee do get the short end of the stick in some ways. Really - it's more you need em for manning the catapults.

Having range in most pvp games is a real advantage.

DAOC is a very good game and deserves its high ratings - tioo bad their not cvoming out with a more updated version - I still find the grahpics very dated and them ovement could be better.

All in all a real gem and a classic.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I was unnecessarily harsh in my initial reply.... just got a little twitchy when you didn't explain the PvP accurately on a game I really loved.  Hopefully WH will be the natural successor to this classic game and we'll see how my return after two years of WOW turns out.  I'm not a big freak on graphics so it might just be fine...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon