Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve Online was for Vets, WoW for newbs need a good MMO

124»

Comments

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by SnaKey

Originally posted by MeridionSo, what gives for me is a game like WoW, not because its easy mode orbecause PvP is painless... Its simply because I dont have time to wastein a stupid timesink to achieve something. Often, I have blocks of 30minutes to play a game, I just cannot spend this time travellingbetween stars, doing nothing.

I take it you're not even close to being max level then?
    I probably play EVE for about 6-10hrs a WEEK. My XFire sig says the time it does because I usually have EVE running while I'm in school, so when I get back from class I don't have to log back in to train a different skill. Like right now, I have it running... but I'm not playing. I'm just waiting for this 30min skill to finish training and after that it's gonna keep running till I get this skill up to lvl 3, because 3-4 will take 5hr.
    That's the great part about EVE. It's made for the casual player, because unlike games like WoW you don't have to play to actually achieve something. You can become more skilled (skill points wise) and not even play at all.
    You just picked the wrong corp is all. A corp involved in political BS. Don't get me wrong, politics make EVE great.... but just aren't my thing.

Why people consider that a good thing is truly beyond me.

Yep, many people don't have unlimited time to spend playing games like you and your Asian Grindfests. Alot of us have these things called Jobs. They eat up quite a bit of time. Then some of us have this thing to go to this thing called: school. Which eats up even more time than most jobs (college anyway). Then some of us EVEN have BOTH! OMG! Crazy right? But, yeah that's life. We aren't homeschooled 15yr olds like you. Sorry.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • darimdarim Member Posts: 16

Hello there, I tried to read most of the posts, (ow) and I guess mostly you are arguing about RyzomR and EVEo.
    To the original poster - still, new mmorpgs come out, you have to decite which one suits you. For examle, if you liked Diablo, try to look into 2Moons, or if you are a fantasy roleplayer check lotr online or warhammer online etc. Some of them definately will be more solo friendly that the average Lineage2 where you need like 4 people to buff you and then you can start of thinking about pvp.
    Someone said something about RP wars =) I'd love to see 2 fleets in EVEo clash, does someone have a video?
    On a sidenote, I played Lineage2 for some time and have to say that although some things are frustrating as ever for the newbs (the grind etc), the content and also some of the game mechanics are far better then they were back in the open beta. And we also had some actions where you felt as if you were a part of something big ( http://www.l2orphus.com/teonsiegevideos.php ), and aliance leaders had great power. 

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    Well besides the fact that I need this laptop for university and I'm not connected to the internet all the time, using the spare time to play EvE got me nowhere. I earned money by doing npc-courier missions, jumped in on one of those repetetive missions, but hardly ever I found something like a pickup group to just go and do something fun real quick.
    The simple lines of interaction like tanking, healing, damage-dealing that work so ultimatively in games like wow or guildwars (you dont even have to group, its crystal-clear what you can and cannot do for or against the guy thats fighting this wolf over there)... those lines never appeared on EvE, even the very few times I've been in a 2 or 3 man gang doing a dedspace complex, its mainly been a mess of people randomly charging enemies...

...I KNOW that theres a lot more tactics and depth to EvE combat than to WoWs, the problem is, I could never get it unfolded with the little time and effort I could put into the game. And I know that, during holidays, when I can spend like 7 or more hours constantly playing, I would surely enjoy this game.

Meridion

Originally posted by Meridion
    I earned money by doing npc-courier missions, jumped in on one of those repetetive missions, but hardly ever I found something like a pickup group to just go and do something fun real quick.
    That's a horrible way to make money.

To make money in EVE you really don't need a group. It helps, but you dont' need it. Alot of the time I keep my ship in 0.0 and log on, go kill 2 groups of rats and log out 5-10mil richer (if I didn't find any good drops, if I did then it's usually about 20-30mil richer). The ship I use probably has a total cost of 5mil or so and requires probably 2 weeks to a month's worth of training. I'm a low SP pilot and when I get my battleship (I have a guy giving me one! YAY!) then I'll probably be able to take out 4 or 5 groups of rats in the same amount of time. May take a few tries to figure out which NPCs you can kill though, lol. And usually it's a long trip back. That's why my bank account is sitting at 23mil atm.

Last time I was out there, I found a spawn that I had never seen before. They had scary names, but the bounties were only like 250k on the big ships. (Most of the big ships out there have bounties of 650k+) So, I examined all the bounties and thought I was gonna be in for an easy fight. As soon as I got in range of their guns, they pwnd me in seconds. The sad part was, one of my corp mates had just warped in and was gonna help.

Mainly, where grouping is prominent in EVE is in PVP, because EVE is a PVP game... not a PVE one. Once I switched over to a corp that was more into the kind of PVP I liked, I had more fun in the first week in PVP than I did in the entire time in my last corp.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • ExmondExmond Member Posts: 33
    This topic is funny :P.

Somepeople wont like eve, somepeople wont like Guild Wars, somepeople wont like WOW.

Get over the fact that people dont like things.

P.S: Goonfleet is awesome

• D0minati0nD0minati0n Member Posts: 25

I only read the first page and even the 2nd post was off topic already, but here goes anyways...

I agree with the thread starter Wow feels too noobish and Eve wont let you play at your own pace... Not to mension UO was the shiznito before Tram pussified it. I would suggest you play NEOCRON but i hear its like a ghostown now... But neocron and eve are one of the only few mmo's i ever returned to play. Now im looking out for DARKFALL ONLINE (www.darkfallonline.com). Simply put there are no safe zones... thats right... The game isnt all about getting the BEST EQUIPMENT or BEST ARMOR like WOW and every other mmo on the market. (sounds kinda like UO right?) This means you'll be unique and wont have to look like everyone else in your group j like in wow which is somthing that really turns me off to it... ( there isnt even 2 different pets in WOW w/ the same stats so everyone doesnt  has the same damn one...) Im playing eve right now and im getting bored of it. There just isnt anything to do... its all rinse wash and repeat. If you find that mmo you're looking for let me know.

P.S: this is my OPINION plz dont flame me fanboiz rude comments wont change my mind i come in peace :P

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by MeridionSo, what gives for me is a game like WoW, not because its easy mode orbecause PvP is painless... Its simply because I dont have time to wastein a stupid timesink to achieve something. Often, I have blocks of 30minutes to play a game, I just cannot spend this time travellingbetween stars, doing nothing.

I take it you're not even close to being max level then?
    I probably play EVE for about 6-10hrs a WEEK. My XFire sig says the time it does because I usually have EVE running while I'm in school, so when I get back from class I don't have to log back in to train a different skill. Like right now, I have it running... but I'm not playing. I'm just waiting for this 30min skill to finish training and after that it's gonna keep running till I get this skill up to lvl 3, because 3-4 will take 5hr.
    That's the great part about EVE. It's made for the casual player, because unlike games like WoW you don't have to play to actually achieve something. You can become more skilled (skill points wise) and not even play at all.
    You just picked the wrong corp is all. A corp involved in political BS. Don't get me wrong, politics make EVE great.... but just aren't my thing.

Why people consider that a good thing is truly beyond me.

Yep, many people don't have unlimited time to spend playing games like you and your Asian Grindfests. Alot of us have these things called Jobs. They eat up quite a bit of time. Then some of us have this thing to go to this thing called: school. Which eats up even more time than most jobs (college anyway). Then some of us EVEN have BOTH! OMG! Crazy right? But, yeah that's life. We aren't homeschooled 15yr olds like you. Sorry.

oh, we are goin to start flaming now eh SnaKey? oh well..I guess that was to be expected of you. Just because I think its odd that a people want to advance in a game without even playing does not mean that I think that people should dedicate their entire life to mmo gaming.

then again, you always like to jump to conclussions. 

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

play guildwars nightfall ::::08::

• LasraikLasraik Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by neoteo

play guildwars nightfall ::::08::

GW sucks.  And GW isn't what this topic was about.

• Kingstonex3Kingstonex3 Member Posts: 28
    Well, all i can say is WOW really is amazing online game, it simply rocks my world! I probably get the much awaited expansion The Burning Crusade, yehh :D

Ang Sundalong Nasusugatan Nag-iibayo ang Tapang ^^^

https://gamersloot.net/catalog/

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672
    Lineage 2 FTW :)

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• vendrisvendris Member Posts: 246

Originally posted by sleepyguyftl
    It's the only game that lets you create you own areas, missions, and content.

Really. I didn't know Ryzom Ring was out yet? If I'm not mistaken, EVE has had player created missions for ohhhh idk.... 3yrs now? lol

Typical elitest post by an mmorpg.com eve fanboy who doesn't actually know what he's talking about.  "I'll pay you to haul my junk from one system to another" isn't the same as being able to create entirely new zones in an MMO.  Ryzom (which I don't play, and don't particularly even personally like) is, as far as I know, the *first* commercial MMO to do what they are doing and they deserve some credit for it.

Originally posted by vendris

Originally posted by sleepyguyftl
    It's the only game that lets you create you own areas, missions, and content.

Really. I didn't know Ryzom Ring was out yet? If I'm not mistaken, EVE has had player created missions for ohhhh idk.... 3yrs now? lol

Typical elitest post by an mmorpg.com eve fanboy who doesn't actually know what he's talking about. "I'll pay you to haul my junk from one system to another" isn't the same as being able to create entirely new zones in an MMO. Ryzom (which I don't play, and don't particularly even personally like) is, as far as I know, the *first* commercial MMO to do what they are doing and they deserve some credit for it.

Why are you debating something I said when about 7 pages of this thread is dedicated to that? ::::12::

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550
    EVE's player-created content is the players taking advantage of the freedom and depth in certain parts of the game to create a dynamic, evolving universe. Its not fucking courier missions. Courier missions suck.

I'm not sure which nutjob actually said that courier missions constituted 'player-created content', but thats just insanely stupid. Of all the things to pick as an example, you had to go out of your way to pick the most idiotic, underused, and boring systems in the game. Kudos.

I know next to nothing about Ryzom Ring, but as long as the modules players create can tie into the main game it seems fairly cool (otherwise it seems like a bland copy of NWN). But again, I know nothing about Ryzom Ring, nor do I care to learn before its released.

• PantasticPantastic Member Posts: 1,204

Originally posted by Taram
    See the fundamental difference? There's no PVE involved at all in a PVP battle in EVE.

Typically a POS costs hundreds of millions of ISK to build (an outpost costs billions). It takes an entire corp working together for weeks to generate the revenues to buy 1, let alone the modules needed to make one useful.

Sounds like there's a ton of PVE involved in a PVP battle in EVE, since generating revenues is pretty much all PVE work. I guess you could pirate a lot to make that kind of money, (I don't really consider playing the market to be PVP), but from all accounts it's generally done by mining, missioning, ratting (including complexes), manufacturing stuff from those materials (which requires lots of mission running), which are definately not PVP pursuits. Making and/or defending a POS doesn't really even qualify as a PVP endeavor by my standards, as the vast majority of time involved is spent PVE grinding, any fighting against other players is purely secondary and will take a tiny fraction of the time.

It gets even worse in real POS wars from what people say on the EVE forums, where winning control of a system doens't really have anything to do with fighting the other side, but instead depends on having the money to keep throwing POSes into the system over and over. I'm not sure how accurate it is to call something in which victory involves grinding more money to afford POSes than your opponent a PVP battle, it sounds more like a grinding contest to me.