Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It looked cool, but now I know why it only has 30k subscribers

DemonknightIDemonknightI Member Posts: 42

This game had potential.  The game is only for people who bought the game on release date.  Everyone else is behind since the skill system is based on real-time and not on actual playing time.  So you're making money in game which doesn't matter since you can either buy it online like most other MMOs or just have a "lifer" transfer you a bunch of money putting you ahead of everyone else.

I played this game for 2 months and quit recently.  It's just not fun at all and not as rewarding as I thought it would be.  It takes too long to even get into a position where you can do some pvping.  I understand MMOs take time, but this game is just ridiculous.  If I could of somehow raised my skills ingame faster I may still be playing it. 

If you're new and thinking about playing this game don't bother.  You're just going to waste a lot of time and be target practice for players who had the game since release.  There's no way to compete unless you can form a gang with older members.

Ontop of that 80% of your time you're traveling to stargates or stations just to dock or use the jumpgate.  Some missions had me traveling about 80km (which is like 10 minutes) to a jumpgate to start a mission??? WTF? Why do that?  There's no reason and it's only certain missions that of course had big payoffs so it's not even consistent.  The mdesigners just decided to throw in an absolutely unnecessary timekiller to piss you off...  I thought I've seen the worst when it comes to timekilling ploys by MMO companies to keep people playing longer, but CCP you now have the crown. 

How this is #1 is beyond me.  I can only imagine that the person running this site likes the game...

Comments

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

It has 300k subscribers (more than SWG ever had). 30k online at one time is the record.

You only played for 2 months, most MMOs you're not going to catch up to the playing level of the vets. Unless you're talking about games like WoW or GW.

The part about not catching up the vets is true, but that doesn't mean you can't compete. So, a guy who got the game in beta can fly every carrier in the game..... you're most likely only going to see him in a battleship or t2 Cruiser (HAC). You can kill a battleship in frigate if you know what you're doing. It's all about strategy. There is a guy in my Corp who has only been playing two months. It's a pirate corp and he has 25 kills under his belt.... not counting the many ganks he's had. (ships that are clearly NO match). So you're whole theory of not catching up is bullshit... you just suck at the PVP there isn't no 2 ways about it.

You missioned for 2 months and you never got an Afterburner?

As for moving, if you played for 2 months and never learned the joys of Instas then you're a complete moron.

Just because you're not smart enough to figure out the strategy of the game, doesn't make the game bad or biased against newbies. So, a vet can fly 90% of the ships in the game........ he can only fly 1 at a time.

And if I was a betting man (which I am), I'm willing to bet half the ppl that pwnd your ass had been playing just as long as you... if they hadn't joined after you.

Or a side bet of you only played the 14day trial.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • DemonknightIDemonknightI Member Posts: 42
    I only got killed one time in this game cause I was so busy running between stations and jumpgates making money to do anything else i couldn't even get to the point of pvp.  I was docking after being beatup on one of the missions and of course there's a "lifer" in a battleship picking people off so he got me.  Am I bitter?  Hell yes I am.  I wasted 2 months playing this worthless game.

My theory isn't wrong at all.  You can only compete if you're in a gang.  If you're new you just simply won't have the skillpoints to compete and there's nothing you can do about it.  That's the sadness that is this game and why hardly anyone plays it.

This game outcasts it's new players and it's not going to survive.  It's not fun.  It looked cool from demos and trailers, but when I started playing it I was sorely disappointed.  I do like the way the game looks and the way the ships are made, but the game mechanics and gameplay are just horrible. 

Ya and like I said that guy in your corp in is in a corp so he has ganking support ontop of all the money you funnel him.  If you're a solo player who's new to the game and doesn't know anyone (like I was) you're completely screwed.

Have fun snoring and ganking in this game.  Gonna move on to greener pasteurs.

Originally posted by DemonknightI
    My theory isn't wrong at all. You can only compete if you're in a gang. If you're new you just simply won't have the skillpoints to compete and there's nothing you can do about it. That's the sadness that is this game and why hardly anyone plays it.

I'm sorry.

I left out the word solo. I have a habit of retyping things and leaving stuff out.

He has "25 SOLO kills under his belt"

but the game mechanics and gameplay are just horrible.

Oh don't talk about game mechanics. EVE is praised for it's game mechanics by other MMO devs and pretty much every single game critic out there. You know nothing of game mechanics.

You're just pissed you lost your ship. ::::16:: That's all it boils down to. ::::16::

Ya and like I said that guy in your corp in is in a corp so he has ganking support ontop of all the money you funnel him. If you're a solo player who's new to the game and doesn't know anyone (like I was) you're completely screwed.

My corp doesn't funnel anyone money. Shit, I wish they would. I only got 30mil in my bank account. ::::21::

But yeah, EVE isn't a solo game. If you woulda read something about the game before hand then you woulda figured that out.

Although, I do enjoy gate camping solo.
    Pirating solo.
    and hunting Rats solo.

::::20::

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

This game outcasts it's new players and it's not going to survive.  It's not fun.  It looked cool from demos and trailers, but when I started playing it I was sorely disappointed.  I do like the way the game looks and the way the ships are made, but the game mechanics and gameplay are just horrible.  >snip<If you're a solo player who's new to the game and doesn't know anyone (like I was) you're completely screwed.Have fun snoring and ganking in this game.  Gonna move on to greener pasteurs.

To be honest, since I've started frequenting these forums I hear many negative prophecies about EVE. EVE will never hit this subscriber mark, EVE won't survive. Well, all indications point otherwise my friend.

But anyway...

The mechanics do what they do, and for the most part, do it well, granted some things about the game could be more streamlined and faster (POS come to mind), but the true joy in EVE is the player interactions and working towards a common goal with your teammates.

I came into the game about a year into it's public release, and while I'm not the mightiest PVPer in the game (I'm more of a carebear at heart, so my skills are more divided) I can take my licks and give them out as well, to players who have been in the game since the beginning. If i was a focused PVPer in my skill training I'd be on par with the best of them reasonably quickly. A new player can do much in this game.

I'm curious, how far did you go in finding a good group, you need to be aggressive in your playing, take risks, and find your niche.

Anyway, thanks for trying EVE, sorry you didn't like it.

I'm not pissed I lost my ship the funny thing is you sound angrier than me cause you know I'm telling it like it is. I'm pissed I wasted time on this game.  I never had a problem dying or being set back in games in fact that's what makes them good to me.  Good games need a good death penalty. 

So your friend with the help of you and the corp giving him the know-how, weapons, money, and everything else killed a few newbs.  WoW!  I guess that means this game is great for everyone.

What game mechanics does this game have that are even worth praising.  Target ship, Click turret....  stay at certain range.  lol

I read a lot about the game before I played it.  This site is actually what made me want to try it out.   They just failed to mention you'll never have a chance to catch up in skills and you'll always be lightyears behind other players.

Gatecamping newbs.  Must be thrilling.  I could tell by your attitude you're the type who's been playing this game for awhile and loves to just kill defenseless players image  All the more power to you man that's what MMOs are all about.  Just don't expect to see a whole influx of people coming to play this game cause IMHO it's a crappy game.

Thanks.

• beaverboy123beaverboy123 Member Posts: 85

Lol im playing the 14 day trial and really enjoying it. The game mechanics are brilliant and if they were crap and not detailed, there would be no 1 hour long tutorial.

Reading your posts, all of them are about how crap EVE is. If the game is crap, then great, its crap but a lot of people dont think its crap. Why dont you keep your opinions to yourself and stop wasting time saying it sucks. Since you said EVE is rated the highest, and you say EVE is crap, go join another site if you dont like it.

• HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175
    They ways to manage PvP are in your strategy, and the setup of your ship. If you learn how to play you will realise that 50k worth of ECM modules can negate 20million SP when you manage to proeprly lock him up. There are many things you can do to win a fight when you are clearly facing a stronger ship. You just need to spend your time learning how to actually play the game. And BTW, if you were playing for 2 months, you would have known that you look for agents within a corporation you want to gain faction in for higher level missions with more payoff, ignored all courier missions, and rarely have to leave the system, and at most taking 1 or 2 jumps. Sure 80km gates can happen in some missions if you keep chasing after a ship thats faster then you and at a longer range, but guess what? It doesn't take 10 minutes.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

I agree it's  just my opinion.  I thought the game was cool at the point you're at too tho.  Give it some time and you'll understand what I'm talking about.  You'll also discover how many lightyears behind everyone you are.   I'm here doing what everyone does on forums, expressing my opinion and offering a fair warning to new players that they're just signing up to be targets for veteran players.

Originally posted by beaverboy123
    Lol im playing the 14 day trial and really enjoying it. The game mechanics are brilliant and if they were crap and not detailed, there would be no 1 hour long tutorial. Reading your posts, all of them are about how crap EVE is. If the game is crap, then great, its crap but a lot of people dont think its crap. Why dont you keep your opinions to yourself and stop wasting time saying it sucks. Since you said EVE is rated the highest, and you say EVE is crap, go join another site if you dont like it.

No, there are actually missions where I had to warp to a location and then fly 100km to a jumpgate for absolutely no reason.  Why wouldn't it just warp me to like 15 km from the gate like everything else?  Just didn't make sense..

Originally posted by Haruto
    They ways to manage PvP are in your strategy, and the setup of your ship. If you learn how to play you will realise that 50k worth of ECM modules can negate 20million SP when you manage to proeprly lock him up. There are many things you can do to win a fight when you are clearly facing a stronger ship. You just need to spend your time learning how to actually play the game. And BTW, if you were playing for 2 months, you would have known that you look for agents within a corporation you want to gain faction in for higher level missions with more payoff, ignored all courier missions, and rarely have to leave the system, and at most taking 1 or 2 jumps. Sure 80km gates can happen in some missions if you keep chasing after a ship thats faster then you and at a longer range, but guess what? It doesn't take 10 minutes.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

I'm not pissed I lost my ship the funny thing is you sound angrier than me cause you know I'm telling it like it is. I'm pissed I wasted time on this game. I never had a problem dying or being set back in games in fact that's what makes them good to me. Good games need a good death penalty. So your friend with the help of you and the corp giving him the know-how, weapons, money, and everything else killed a few newbs. WoW! I guess that means this game is great for everyone.What game mechanics does this game have that are even worth praising. Target ship, Click turret.... stay at certain range. lolI read a lot about the game before I played it. This site is actually what made me want to try it out. They just failed to mention you'll never have a chance to catch up in skills and you'll always be lightyears behind other players.Gatecamping newbs. Must be thrilling. I could tell by your attitude you're the type who's been playing this game for awhile and loves to just kill defenseless players image All the more power to you man that's what MMOs are all about. Just don't expect to see a whole influx of people coming to play this game cause IMHO it's a crappy game. Thanks.

I have to agree completely with this guy. I've tried playing EVE on several occasions, and I just can't get into it. There really isn't any reason for SnaKey to act like he's better than us (the players who don't like EVE). It takes absolutely NO SKILL to level up, and you don't even have to play the game to get where you want to be. Sure, learning the "game mechanics" (if you really want to call bookmarking and macroing "mechanics") will help, but what really matters is how many skill points you have, and what guns you have attached to what ship. There are variations of the details here, but for all intents and purposes, every scenario ends the same. It's a game for gankers and griefers, and I don't see anyone else playing the game.

Real-time leveling + gatecamping/open PvP + nothing to do in the meantime = CRAPPY GAMEPLAY.

Originally posted by Aethios

It takes absolutely NO SKILL to level up, and you don't even have to play the game to get where you want to be. Sure, learning the "game mechanics" (if you really want to call bookmarking and macroing "mechanics") will help, but what really matters is how many skill points you have, and what guns you have attached to what ship.

You're right. It doesn't take any "skill" to level up but it does take a bit of thinking. "What would be the fastest way for me to accomplish my goal of XXXX? Would buffing this learning skill make the time go by faster? Do I really need this skill? Hey, maybe I should train this skill up too... that way I can XXXX faster."

I don't think you know what Bookmarking is, it's no way related to macroing...... and for that matter you have no idea what "game mechanics" are. lol

SP means jack. I have 4.5mil SP. I kick ppl's asses all the time, I low sec gate camp (tank the sentry guns), and I rat in 0.0 in a 3mil ISK Cruiser with about 2mil worth of equipment.

EVE isn't for Gankers and Griefers, it's about PVP at it's finest. Strategy, Strategy, Strategy. Every part of PVP revolves around Strategy. Logistics, Weapons, Equipment, Ships, Players, etc. etc.

I don't know of 1 single other MMO where Logistics even play a minor role in PVP, where as EVE they play a major role........ just like real life wars.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

I agree it's  just my opinion.  I thought the game was cool at the point you're at too tho.  Give it some time and you'll understand what I'm talking about.  You'll also discover how many lightyears behind everyone you are.   I'm here doing what everyone does on forums, expressing my opinion and offering a fair warning to new players that they're just signing up to be targets for veteran players.

Now I will say one thing. taking a guess the PVP kills snakeys corp mate had were not against newbs. At 2 months old you just hit the point where your noggin was worth more than your SP. The most important thing snakey's corp gave to thier corpmate was knowledge. EvE will with out a doubt absolutely brutalize you if you try and solo the game with out any help from someone who already has the knowledge. Amazingly with good knowledge a 2 month old character don't need the corp to funnel isk or supplies.just out of question did you ever join a player corp? and if so about how experienced were the other members of the corp?

oh and on the 80km mission I know that one and god its annoying but its only a lvl 2 and 3 mission so after you start doing 4s the farthest you have to go is 20km with the exception of the first gate on silence the informant lvl 4(50km IIRC and I tend to skip that one anyway.)

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Originally posted by Aethios

I have to agree completely with this guy. I've tried playing EVE on several occasions, and I just can't get into it. There really isn't any reason for SnaKey to act like he's better than us (the players who don't like EVE). It takes absolutely NO SKILL to level up, and you don't even have to play the game to get where you want to be. Sure, learning the "game mechanics" (if you really want to call bookmarking and macroing "mechanics") will help, but what really matters is how many skill points you have, and what guns you have attached to what ship. There are variations of the details here, but for all intents and purposes, every scenario ends the same. It's a game for gankers and griefers, and I don't see anyone else playing the game.Real-time leveling + gatecamping/open PvP + nothing to do in the meantime = CRAPPY GAMEPLAY.

Since you have only tried I must ask how long you have played?

The reason I ask is I bet there are several ships I could pop through a gate with snakey camping and he'd have to really consider staying. Not because of firepower but other annoying effects like reducing his lock range to a tenth of his normal or just plane locking him down till what crappy guns I have can get through or my drones and can slowly eat him while I drain every ounce of cap he's using to tank said sentry guns.

Now bookmarking is not really a game mechanic so much as its a useful player shortcut. Thier nice but frankly I don't have near as many as most people think I would since I keep my self to a smaller area. And as macroing is both a violation of the EULA and as such is a bannable offense (not to mention only useful for miners and even then not much) its not really a game mechanic either.

Now things like EW(jam/Damp/scram/web/paint/etc..), EW Burn through, Turret ranges/tracking, tanking/resists, Angular velocity, MWD vs AB,  and I'm sure several other things I'm missing are things you need to know, and that skills have absolutely no or little effect compared to your knowledge. you try targetting me orbiting at optimum and watch as you lose your ship every single time. it may work on NPCs but not players.

• PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

http://www.eve-fix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9635

This is a little post I made in my alliance's forums on my 2 year anniversary, the story how I came to be part of my current corp.

I was a one month old player becoming acclaimated in 0.0 space among people I'm "lightyears" behind. Granted, the means which I got in contact no longer exist (the CFS was destroyed, a good deal because of...erm...my alliance. It's a long story). But similiar means do exist to get in a good corp as a new player.

The gist, take risks, set goals for yourself, and make friends. You can find your niche, and the "lightyears" between you and the vets becomes more and more irrealevant as time goes on.

God Bless

• ardunmorgainardunmorgain Member Posts: 9

Lightyears is all relative.  The way they've adjusted things is that it takes forever to get a lvl 5 skill, but level 4 skills are cake and you can get alot more of them than level 5 skills.  I'd still be playing, but I has extenuating sercumstances and had to quit for 2 months.  then my insurance lapsed and I couldn't afford to get new insurance. This game rocks, but my resources don't.

Oh yeah, it's 30k PEAK users, I believe it has over 160k active accounts.

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

Why dont we just call this what it is.

"Eve sucks because I suck at it"

And for your information, ace, the game wasnt really playable at release - it wasnt until the Castor patch in December '03 that it even really deserved to be called a finished MMOG. At the time, you could increase SP through in-game actions. Guess what happened - all the same stupid macroing lollevelgrindnowimuber crap from the shitty mmogs I hate managed to sneak in until that SP gain was removed.

• Povey151Povey151 Member Posts: 250
    wow 2 months and you suck that bad....at the end of the 14 day trial i had no problem raping people in pvp.

PVP requires a hell of a lot more skill than you realize and its a paper rock scissors game too. You arent always going to be equipped to take out EVERY ship, and you ARE going to lose ships...QQ.

This game is really great I never had problems with excessive travel times or not being able to hang with higher levels or w/e....but maybe thats cuz i dont suck at games.

• GNimmoGNimmo Member Posts: 10
    I reckon I am approaching the 2 month mark now and I am loving it, I am
    more interested in the social aspect of the game than any PVP at the
    moment. (not a carebear, looking to go to one of those PVP teaching
    places at some point)

I am just being boring and doing missions for NPCs and learning. I
    absolutely love it, it may not seem much to many, but I was
    complimented on how I had configured my first Battleship the other day
    and since I did it myself, that meant a lot, as it showed I have
    learned a lot.

I will definately be looking to do some PVP soon, but I want to just
    mess about doing NPC stuff, gain a solid grounding of knowledge and
    then go out and have fun.

But this game is a truly amazing game, beats every other MMO I have
    played hands down. (WoW, SWG, RFOnline, D&DO, Ultima Online and a
    whole bunch of others) The whole way this game works, is just perfect
    for me.

Possibly the reason you had your issues is down to your attitude
    towards the style of the game. I had that at first, I always try and
    solo in games, which is clearly daft, but once I got my head around
    that and got into a good corp, things just took off and things were
    amazing.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

If what the op said is true then he really has no clue.

Learn navigation skills [makes you go faster].

Use an afterburner [makes you go faster].

Fit nanos for traveling [makes you lighter and faster].

Use instas [makes you go faster to your destination].

Point is you obviously never left your newbie corp. And as for only being able to compete in gangs ******* Of course you can, anyone can for that matter, just use some of that grey matter between your ears [ and i dont mean the ear wax in your ears. image

• HAMMERS38HAMMERS38 Member Posts: 248

This game had potential.  The game is only for people who bought the game on release date.  Everyone else is behind since the skill system is based on real-time and not on actual playing time.  So you're making money in game which doesn't matter since you can either buy it online like most other MMOs or just have a "lifer" transfer you a bunch of money putting you ahead of everyone else.

I played this game for 2 months and quit recently.  It's just not fun at all and not as rewarding as I thought it would be.  It takes too long to even get into a position where you can do some pvping.  I understand MMOs take time, but this game is just ridiculous.  If I could of somehow raised my skills ingame faster I may still be playing it. 

If you're new and thinking about playing this game don't bother.  You're just going to waste a lot of time and be target practice for players who had the game since release.  There's no way to compete unless you can form a gang with older members.

Ontop of that 80% of your time you're traveling to stargates or stations just to dock or use the jumpgate.  Some missions had me traveling about 80km (which is like 10 minutes) to a jumpgate to start a mission??? WTF? Why do that?  There's no reason and it's only certain missions that of course had big payoffs so it's not even consistent.  The mdesigners just decided to throw in an absolutely unnecessary timekiller to piss you off...  I thought I've seen the worst when it comes to timekilling ploys by MMO companies to keep people playing longer, but CCP you now have the crown. 

How this is #1 is beyond me.  I can only imagine that the person running this site likes the game...

sorry people but i have to agree with tihs guy. i played eve on and off for about a year and found that the most irritating ting in the game was being hit at jumpgates by people in battleships....what a challenge for them when i am flyiing a mammoth. also the general attitude of a lot of the players in the game totally sucked(as shown by snakey in this thread). personally i started off liking the game but what it all comes down to is mine, sell the minerals. repeat until you can get a cruiser. mine, sell the minerals. repeat until you can get a battleship etc. finally when you are at this level you can get podding people. i  have moved onto pastures new and feel i have made a wise move.

• scrawnehscrawneh Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by HAMMERS38

I  have moved onto pastures new and feel i have made a wise move.

Just out of curiosity; Which pastures did you go to?

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by scrawneh

Originally posted by HAMMERS38

I  have moved onto pastures new and feel i have made a wise move.

Just out of curiosity; Which pastures did you go to?

In stead of criticizing everyone else for not actually liking Eve and having different tastes... How about explaining Eves combat system more? Someone said something about rock,paper,scissors? Orbiting to dodge or something? Explain y a newcomer ( and generally how long he'd have to play ) before he'd be even with a 2 year veteran ( who chooses not to use his best ship ) ?

Personally, everything else about Eve sounds boring to me... Combat looks boring as well, but the talk about it has sparked an interest, because all I see on the videos are *Pew Pew Pew* and *Boom* after 10 or so mins and the ships seems to move at a snails crawl while that's happening...

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by SnaKey
    You're right. It doesn't take any "skill" to level up but it does take a bit of thinking. "What would be the fastest way for me to accomplish my goal of XXXX? Would buffing this learning skill make the time go by faster? Do I really need this skill? Hey, maybe I should train this skill up too... that way I can XXXX faster."

There's a program to do the thinking for you, and it's advertised on the EVE website. Just like everything else in this game, skill is negated by automatic processes and doesn't even require you to be present. Just set up your skill, log out, and it makes a neat little sound when you level up.

I don't think you know what Bookmarking is, it's no way related to macroing...... and for that matter you have no idea what "game mechanics" are. lol

I know what bookmarking and macroing are. If I thought the two were the same, I wouldn't have separated them and included them both in the same sentence.

When you make such assumptions, YOU look like a dumbass.

SP means jack. I have 4.5mil SP. I kick ppl's asses all the time, I low sec gate camp (tank the sentry guns), and I rat in 0.0 in a 3mil ISK Cruiser with about 2mil worth of equipment.

It's easy for you to claim that SP means nothing when you're ganking newbs with 1/100th the SP you have. Then, in the next breath, you switch to currency figures. Where'd the skill points go? Sure, 5 million ISK isn't much to talk about, but you left out:

- How many SP you needed to fly said ship.
    - How long it took to get those SP.
    - How few SP you have NOT related to meeting absolute requirements.
    - What you were doing in the meantime.

I'd also like to point out that many of the in-game corporations (not just the big ones) require a set number of SP in order to join, usually 7 million or more. This goes to further prove that SP in fact DOES mean quite a bit, in relation to how successful your character will be.

EVE isn't for Gankers and Griefers, it's about PVP at it's finest. Strategy, Strategy, Strategy. Every part of PVP revolves around Strategy. Logistics, Weapons, Equipment, Ships, Players, etc. etc.

If you want to consider gate-camping and kiting "strategy." In the real world, we call that griefing. Realistically, that's what most players are doing when they say they are "PvPing" in EVE.

Weapons, equipment, ships, etc etc, are ITEMS. Items are very different from strategy. If I wanted to min/max items all day, I'd go play WoW (or one of the other various EQ clones).

I don't know of 1 single other MMO where Logistics even play a minor role in PVP

Have you PLAYED any other MMOs?! Every game that has PvP has better logistics than EVE. At least in other games I can control my character, instead of just pressing a few module buttons and walking away.

where as EVE they play a major role........ just like real life wars.

Real-life wars suck. Why? It has nothing to do with skill. They build a missile, point it at an important building, press a button and go to lunch. Even the jets and helicopters are piloted by robots anymore.

Having said that, comparing EVE to real life makes me laugh out loud. I don't remember any real-life wars involving capitol ships, hybrid anti-matter rail guns, and warp drive destabilisers.

The ideas presented in your reply are ridiculous, SnaKey. You harrass people, call them stupid, tell them how badly they suck, and suggest they go play another game. The sad part is, you really fit in perfectly with most of the EVE crowd. People wonder why EVE only has 150k or so subscribers, and it really doesn't have THAT much to do with the game itself. It's the elitist "I'll be a jerk to everyone I meet because I have more SP" player base. I really have no interest in a game that holds me back, and won't let me catch up to the "elite" players, simply because I started playing after them, despite how hard I try or how much I play.

I'd also like to point out, that at any point during the day, RUNESCAPE HAS MORE PLAYERS CURRENTLY LOGGED IN THAN EVE HAS IN ITS ENTIRE SUBSCRIBER BASE. I can't stand Runescape, but it shows more merit and promise than EVE.

• NatEVENatEVE Member Posts: 92

I'm here doing what everyone does on forums, expressing my opinion and offering a fair warning to new players that they're just signing up to be targets for veteran players.

Why not sign up to make targets of the vets? ;)

While there's 300k subscribers as someone pointed out, EVE Online isn't for everyone. EVE isn't a game that will hold your hand and tell you what to do when and where and give you all the tools for the job, but rather its more like a big sandbox. It is what you make of it, and if you expect to be entertained, then you'll become quickly bored. If you take the initiative too actively explore different aspects of the game looking to entertain yourself, then you'll find satisfaction and good times. And while much of EVE can be done solo, it is generally more fun, easier, and rewarding with a good group of players (corp) where many more possibilities are available and higher goals achievable.

Sorry you didn't see or experience the more fun sides of EVE, but I wish you luck in finding a fun mmo, while we continue to have fun playing EVE Online. o

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

*flame alert*

DemonKnight1 is the *exact* type of people "we" do not want playing EVE.  It's been a while since I've seen these types of erroneous allegations of fictitious events. 

Someone who's played 2 weeks has a full understanding that there's more then 30k subscribers.  If not then online games isn't where you should be spending your time; don't forget to take your medication.

Some players expect a silver spoon to be thrust down their throats providing them with *EVERYTHING* a game has availble based on a simple and pathecialy ill minded view of "i pay for a subscription so i should have it all!!1"   Thankfully CCP does not care about these whinny little eBrats, nor does the community at large.  It's also why developers take a common posistion that these "whiners" and "trolls" are a "vocal minority".

Let's use a few examples for rebutals:

• This game had potential.  The game is only for people who bought the game on release date.  Everyone else is behind since the skill system is based on real-time and not on actual playing time.  So you're making money in game which doesn't matter since you can either buy it online like most other MMOs or just have a "lifer" transfer you a bunch of money putting you ahead of everyone else.

Wrong!  I've been playing for 10 months and I've been in several circumstances where I was able to engage and fend off 7-8 players in tech2 ships without losing mine until their reinfocements were called in (2-3 battleships, couple of assault cruisers)  The ship type I used was an Amarr Assault Frigate.  It's a great ship and easy for a new play to get into (Need frigate lvl 5 and Mechanic lvl 5, don't recall what else)  A lucky spawn and loot drop can net you millions and millions of ISK!  I looted a CRUOR BPC (sells for 180m-360m) during my 2 week trial while ratting (killing NPCs) in a .6 system in Empire space.

The game is about player skill, not character skill points.  More importantly, EVE is a universe (New Eden) where the pendelum of wars are swung in synce with the acquisition of assets.  The game resolves around  assets and everything is a consumable, including your clones!

Only cheaters buy from "chinese gold farmers".  These players who sell and buy typically lose their accounts when caught.  Not saying players in EVE cheat, just that those who do buy ISK are cheaters.

Friends will give you 1-2 million ISK (Interstellar Kredits) to help with initial skill points a few ships.  That's not much at all.  No one would give anyone hundreds of millions of ISK especially if they're a new player even though many players have billions of ISK at their disposal. (the most I've had at once in the last 10 months is about 450million ISK which I earned myself.)

• I played this game for 2 months and quit recently.  It's just not fun at all and not as rewarding as I thought it would be.  It takes too long to even get into a position where you can do some pvping.  I understand MMOs take time, but this game is just ridiculous.  If I could of somehow raised my skills ingame faster I may still be playing it. 

"Fun" is a relative term.  Playing a game that's not "fun" should be the primary reason to stop. 

PvP does not take "long" to get into.  If you're uninformed as to where and how to locate the best places for PvP it might be hard to locate; "I've been docked for 2 months training skills and there's no PvP!!"

Grind:  There is no grind in EVE to speed up the advancement or acquisistion of skill points.  Thankfully so.  EVERYONE is on an equal playing field and generally it's only the new kiddies migrating from games like WoW which is desinged around "teh grind" who get frustrated for having to think-outside-of-the-box.

• If you're new and thinking about playing this game don't bother.  You're just going to waste a lot of time and be target practice for players who had the game since release.  There's no way to compete unless you can form a gang with older members.

Ahh, forcing a view as if it's the only view to be had.  Sad.

There are *MANY* avenues of "solo" game play options in EVE.  In a game environment desgined around corporate domination of star systems and entire regions of space why would anyone expect to be able to sucessfully engage these systems as a solo noob?  Safety is in numbers.  It is an open PvP gaming environment.  While you do not nescarrily need to be grouped with someone higher then you, you'll experiance a higher degree of sucess in pursuit of "fun" if you're simply ganged with others who's online regardless of their character's skill points.

• Ontop of that 80% of your time you're traveling to stargates or stations just to dock or use the jumpgate.  Some missions had me traveling about 80km (which is like 10 minutes) to a jumpgate to start a mission??? WTF? Why do that?  There's no reason and it's only certain missions that of course had big payoffs so it's not even consistent.  The mdesigners just decided to throw in an absolutely unnecessary timekiller to piss you off...  I thought I've seen the worst when it comes to timekilling ploys by MMO companies to keep people playing longer, but CCP you now have the crown. 

Please know that DemonKnightI is *not* the calibre of player who's capable of comprehending dynamics let alone conform to them in a game as immense in scope to allowable player performance as EVE.

Traveling as quoted in DemonKnightI's is a distorted example while *almost* on point.  Each classification of a ship has different speeds.  These speeds are completly dynamic in the sense that certain skills increase your base speed on any ship you fly and then there's also Afterburners (AB) and MicroWarpDrives (MWD) which provide for tremendous speeds.  An AB will increase your ships speed by about 120% (speed 250m/s becomes 550m/s) and the MWD will increase it by about 500% (speed 250m/s becomes 1,500m/s)  This is a cllear example of why learning Afterburners and/or MWD's are so important.

The Missions in EVE are not terrific.  I don't recall anyone, including CCP, saying their were a marvel to be held.  CCP knows missions are poor in the relation to dynamic content which is why there's a tremendous amount of content that's currently being added which will redesign how they function.  Kali is the upgrade we're currently experiancing.

"The mdesigners just decided to throw in an absolutely unnecessary timekiller to piss you off..." <-- complete ignorance of the OP.  His/Her post has no credibility on a biased claim.

"I thought I've seen the worst when it comes to timekilling ploys by MMO companies to keep people playing longer, but CCP you now have the crown."

Yes, a lot of players and professionals in the community will agree with you when it's relating to "CCP has the crown" of developing expansive single shard persitent rollplaying worlds that provide an extremely high level of player dynamics in an open ended sand box type of environment.

I almost forgot, can I have your stuff?