Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Todays Sony News.. Not exactly SWG related but.. somewhat funny.

AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6160667.html

"Speaking at a press conference in Tokyo, Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer announced that losses at Sony Computer Entertainment are expected to now total 200 billion yen--or around $1.71 billion dollars--for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2007. The figure is nearly twice the shortfall Sony originally projected."

I think the best part of the entire thing was...

"The executive also expressed apparent befuddlement about some gamers' anger that the PS3 launch was pushed back to March 2007 in Europe. "I think the idea of worrying about a delay in PlayStation is slightly strange to me," said Stringer. "Every complex technology runs the risk of delays.""

I don't think he has to be confused with customers.  I mean as a stock holder the longer the delays the longer they lose money.  Since relativley when you buy a stock you are loaning that company your money... and you get a dividend based on them making a profit.  Sony stock prices fell from roughly $120 a share to $40 and sometimes less in the last few years.

Think about buying 10,000 shares at 120/share and now they are worth 40... you took a hell of a bath.

Anyway it relates to SWG to me for two reasons..

1) they express befuddlement that no one buys the NGE (they lost customers)

2) SOE may not be part of SCE but.. its one public listing stock wise.

I really don't like a company doing bad because people lose their jobs that aren't part of the problem.  Every "figure" you see at SOE for example that has caused problems pretty much still has a job.  All the people that got fired.. had nothing to do with the mess that the company is in. 

Its just the flat out arrogance that amazes me.

Comments

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    I work for a publically traded local company that is a flyspec compared to Sony in size ($160 million/year in gross sales).

But at least we make money, and in fact, have strung together three consecutive record earnings quarters.  Our stock went up from $4 to $10... 

What is the difference?  People.  Our management knows what they are doing, and so do our employees.

Sony's management culture is incompetent and out of touch, making it impossible for their employees to do their job.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    When you invest in a company such as Sony , You are willfully opening your self up to risks. Most investors understand such risks , And plan accordingly . But about setbacks with PS3. At this point Sony themselves can not risk shipping this thing under any condtion other than perfect .

With PS2 they were foolish enough to release it , Knowing that it was equipped with a bad processor . Of course they issued a recall and sent out working models to those who knew . But making this same mistake with ps3 would be suicide to their buisness .

I don't expect ps3 to sell very well , It simply is too expensive . Secondly as of right now they have very little exclusive games stated for release . Why go with a ps3 when Xbox360 and Wii will be far cheaper ? This is definitely a Betamax2

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

"When you invest in a company such as Sony , You are willfully opening your self up to risks. Most investors understand such risks , And plan accordingly . But about setbacks with PS3. At this point Sony themselves can not risk shipping this thing under any condtion other than perfect ."

An investor should realize that.  My mother made good money on stocks back in the day..  I grew up in Vermont and when Ben and Jerry's were making their IPO she wanted to buy into that.  But.. her investment advisors said oh no never buy a local stock .. so they got her to buy into this company Z.. something.

Anyway one of the upper management took off with the money.. stock feel to less than a penny per share (needless to say my mom took a bath).  It was one of the big investment firms that advised her to buy that stock lol.

At that same time... Ben and Jerry's stock was going up and did a 2 way split followed by like a 3... Needless to say my Mom decided to invest on her own thinking after that.

PS3... Sometimes I wish I was into consoles.  I mean I had an Atari 2600... tried a couple of the nintendo units.  I just never liked them after I got a computer.

Anyway.. I think Sony's big issue at the moment is.. if the overheating rumors are true and they ship the thing.. especially after denying it.. will really hurt them.

Just looking at it from another angle.. if I can buy an XBox 360 AND a Wii.. for the same or less than a PS3.. why in the heck would I buy a sony... unless they had some pretty awesome exclusive games.

Oh and by the way... I love that signiture don't think I noticed it before.

About for every minute you're angry...   I liked that.

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Reuters.com

Go there look up SOEs fiscal and last 4 reports..

My favorite and YES this one blew my mind said:

Along the lines of:   "Also SOE has made some players of SWG angry at the recent changes to the game" --

LOL no joke, in a financial report...  And Reuters even... they NEVER say crap like that, ever.

This is the only game I have ever seen mentioned as a add to the loss in stock..

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

Originally posted by iskareot
    Reuters.com Go there look up SOEs fiscal and last 4 reports.. My favorite and YES this one blew my mind said: Along the lines of:   "Also SOE has made some players of SWG angry at the recent changes to the game" -- LOL no joke, in a financial report...  And Reuters even... they NEVER say crap like that, ever. This is the only game I have ever seen mentioned as a add to the loss in stock..  

Link?

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Originally posted by Wildcat84

Originally posted by iskareot

Reuters.com
    Go there look up SOEs fiscal and last 4 reports..
    My favorite and YES this one blew my mind said:
    Along the lines of:   "Also SOE has made some players of SWG angry at the recent changes to the game" --
    LOL no joke, in a financial report...  And Reuters even... they NEVER say crap like that, ever.
    This is the only game I have ever seen mentioned as a add to the loss in stock..

Link?

Second that...I got lost at Reuters....image

imageThe last of the Trackers