Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's first big stumble

2»

Comments

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Wildcat84
    Here is the deal:

They hyped the card game to their playerbase by promising in game rewards by redeeming points.

They didn't disclose the number of points needed to buy even the smallest rewards before offering the cards for sale.

They
    sold card sets to people expecting to be able to get one of the
    baubles.  It turns out that they are so expensive that you have to
    buy hundreds of dollars worth of card sets to up to $2,100 to get them.

I
    SERIOUSLY doubt that anyone who bought the sets before this was
    disclosed had any idea that the numbers would work out like that.

They
    are SO going to get sued if they don't change that.  Just as SOE
    was going to if they didn't offer TOOW refunds.  it's extremely
    unethical, and it proves that Blizzard is no better than SOE, and maybe
    is worse, they think WoW is a license to print money, and they are
    acting like it.

Yes, I do think that this marks the beginning of
    the fall of WoW.  Maybe it won't start manifesting itself anytime
    soon, but when WoW really starts declining this will be the watershed
    event people point to and say, "That is what started it".  Granted
    WoW isn't going to fall to NGE levels of subs anytime soon (or even
    within years), but I think getting burned like this (and the word of
    mouth that will spread) will take the bloom off the rose. 

The expansion could be the second hit, after how long it's been in development it better be better than sliced bread...

Just whining. That's all it is.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Shayde
    Here is the deal:

They hyped the card game to their playerbase by promising in game rewards by redeeming points.

They didn't disclose the number of points needed to buy even the smallest rewards before offering the cards for sale.

They sold card sets to people expecting to be able to get one of the baubles.  It turns out that they are so expensive that you have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of card sets to up to $2,100 to get them.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that anyone who bought the sets before this was disclosed had any idea that the numbers would work out like that.

They are SO going to get sued if they don't change that.  Just as SOE was going to if they didn't offer TOOW refunds.  it's extremely unethical, and it proves that Blizzard is no better than SOE, and maybe is worse, they think WoW is a license to print money, and they are acting like it.

Yes, I do think that this marks the beginning of the fall of WoW.  Maybe it won't start manifesting itself anytime soon, but when WoW really starts declining this will be the watershed event people point to and say, "That is what started it".  Granted WoW isn't going to fall to NGE levels of subs anytime soon (or even within years), but I think getting burned like this (and the word of mouth that will spread) will take the bloom off the rose. 

The expansion could be the second hit, after how long it's been in development it better be better than sliced bread...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So that explains your position on SOE perfectly , you're a blizzard Fan-boi .

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Malickiebloo
    Here is the deal:

They sold card sets to people expecting to be able to get one of the baubles.  It turns out that they are so expensive that you have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of card sets to up to $2,100 to get them.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that anyone who bought the sets before this was disclosed had any idea that the numbers would work out like that.

They are SO going to get sued if they don't change that.  Just as SOE was going to if they didn't offer TOOW refunds.  it's extremely unethical, and it proves that Blizzard is no better than SOE, and maybe is worse, they think WoW is a license to print money, and they are acting like it.

Yes, I do think that this marks the beginning of the fall of WoW.  Maybe it won't start manifesting itself anytime soon, but when WoW really starts declining this will be the watershed event people point to and say, "That is what started it".  Granted WoW isn't going to fall to NGE levels of subs anytime soon (or even within years), but I think getting burned like this (and the word of mouth that will spread) will take the bloom off the rose. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh yeah.. that wraps me up in a tight little bow, doesn't it.

Guess the fact that i don't play it, and have never played any other war/starcraft game makes me a fanboi too.

Anyone who rushed out and bought thousands of cards to get some ingame trinket that is useless is an idiot. Anyone bitching about it is just whining.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    That is just crule of them.

It wouldent suprise me if some retards just bought those boxes for those trinkets, god.

Dont they have enough money with 5 million subs?

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by ShaydeAnyone who rushed out and bought thousands of cards to get some ingame trinket that is useless is an idiot. Anyone bitching about it is just whining.

Exactly what I was saying Shayde. You get what you pay for, and in this case, bitching and imaginary items.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Trubaduren
    That is just crule of them.

It wouldent suprise me if some retards just bought those boxes for those trinkets, god.
    Dont they have enough money with 5 million subs?

7 mil & NO...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• DiegeiroDiegeiro Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by kaibigan34
    The best item you can get is a new mount. Not an epic mount. A normal mount. A turtle. The turtle prize card is a random find in the boxes.

There is a turtle!  Makes a mad dash to ebay....

Oops, I guess I know which category of idiot or whiner I belong.

It all started with a lantern, a sword, and a trap door...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Here is the deal:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh yeah.. that wraps me up in a tight little bow, doesn't it.

Guess the fact that i don't play it, and have never played any other war/starcraft game makes me a fanboi too.

Anyone who rushed out and bought thousands of cards to get some ingame trinket that is useless is an idiot. Anyone bitching about it is just whining.

Really? It's just people expressing concern over a money grab . But how does that make their concerns any different than those expressed over NGE daily here , A year after it took place ? Are you saying you yourself are just whining ? You're breaching on hypocrisy now bud .

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• njdevi66njdevi66 Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Lets not all forget that blizzard had said they would put in the Hero class not long after release... .. ... ....... .. ................

Still waiting, to top it all off... its not even mentioned anymore.

• pkparadoxpkparadox Member Posts: 3
    decline of wow? plz~
    everytime an expansion hits the stores.. even the ppl that quit b4 will run back to the game for the new content
    and this is just an assumption purely based on the trend of blizzard games... but
    diablo? sc? wc? <----- ppl still play these games
    wat makes you think ppl will stop playin wow
    other big mmorpgs like UO and lineage all went for a pretty decent span of a couple years
    you think wow will die down more easily than those games? i think not

and to the original poster:

i think you're just sour that you cant get the coolest trinket cus you're not rich enough to
    just grow some balls.. like you said, they're not worth anything in game..
    if someone decides they wanna be cool.. let em be
    what gives you the right to whine and complain for them

• adfoamadfoam Member Posts: 68

Thing about this, people do stupid things.  Look at how many people paid $20 to get the SWG Starter kit, for the ingame item.  If people want to spend hundreds of dollars to get enough points to get some trinkets, so what!

It is their business, it is not like Blizzard and Upperdeck is putting a gun to their head and say to them, "buy the freaking cards."  Even look at ebay, murloc pet codes, characters up for sale, its a person choice to pay money for it, not Blizzards.  Like I brought the regular version of World of Warcraft game, because I could less about special pet to follow me around, same will go for Burning Crusade.  It comes down to people choices of what they want to do with thier money. 

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Lol, what did y'all get bored bitching on the SWG 'Veterans' board?

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• SmurfMagicSmurfMagic Member Posts: 664
    WOAH image

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

IMO blizzard is far worse than sony , They have made far more profit off WOW , Than SOE has on all of their titles over the past 3 years . Yet have not released one expansion at this point . They have also not come through on many promises they themselves have made toward their playerbase . At this point polish shouldn't mean squat IMO , They have seriously taken that profit and ran with it . Just look at their expansion due out this holiday season . Two new races , With one being nothing more than a reskin of a previous . What happened to the Seige warfare they promised ?

As for this article , And people say SOE leads people on like bunnies with carrots . LMAO ........

2100$ for something that gives zero benefit to your character . HAHAHAHHAHA

*blip* troll detector active! *blip*

Back to main topic: You getin-game items from the cards in 2 ways. One is with actually cards, that could be in ANY booster. So, in theory, you buy one booster, 4.50 euros, and you bring home a hyppogryph pet or a turtle mount.

The points are there for consolations. So you did not found a in-game item in your booster? at least you get some point that you will be able to use in our shop. Some stuff costs little (and are little gimmick, like the wallpaper) and other costs more. Of course this things are aimed at card gamers fanatics, what you thought eh? it is a CCG after all...

Do you know how many boosters a Magic: the gathering fan will buy each year? noooo? well think they release what? 3 expansions a year? with hundreds if not thousands of new cards? and of course the fans go and buy those boosters and they get NO additional rewards for it.

So, the in-game items has always been intended as a bonus thing, NOT THE MAIN thing, that is a CCG, not a WoW promotional advertisement!

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• ronin_13xronin_13x Member Posts: 28

they should just make the game free and the chances of decline will either go away, decrese or they will get some more time to improve

im just saying

• UglekUglek Member Posts: 22
    Will this hurt Blizz....yeah it could short term but the buzz once BC exp is released will help them bounce back from any losses.
  • zakk_zakk_ Member Posts: 438
    wait..ppl can spend 2k real money and get a fireworks trinket,and this annoys some other folks....

lmfao

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Basically these trinkets were meant as a bonus to people that were getting the cards to actually play the card game but a small group of people bought the cards with the sole purpose of getting the bonus and also without knowing exactly how to get the bonus and complained about it.

And somehow this is Blizzard's fault?

You just gotta love troll logic.

Personally I hope WoW dies in a couple years. Just make 3 more exansions after Burning Crusade and be done with it. Thats it. DONE. Then make either WoW2 or WC4 to continue the progressive story of the Warcraft universe.