Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge Star Wars fan - can I get anything out of this game?

I never played SWG pre-NGE, but I do understand why so many veterans of the game were appalled by what SOE did.  That being said, I've loved Star Wars all my life and I keep finding myself tempted to play this game.  I don't have high expectations; I'm just looking to play around in the Star Wars universe.  I don't care about timeline and lore, I just want to play as a Jedi for the fun of it.

What I've been reading about the game in its current state has left me with conflicting reports.  Some say the game is dead, broken, and on the way out, while others say it's improved a bit since the launch of the NGE.  Chances are I'll pick up the complete online adventurers when it comes out next month.  I played the 10-day trial right when the NGE came out and didn't get far because of server problems.  If anyone wouldn't mind objectively summing what I could get out of this game, if I just want to play around as a Jedi, do some quests, fight some Imperial NPC's, etc, I would appreciate it.  Like I said, my expectations aren't that high, but I really need some Star Wars gaming.  I already beat KOTOR, and multiplayer FPS's like Battlefront aren't my thing.

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    It sounds to me that the only thing that might put you off is the small playerbase. Do the new 21 day trial before you buy the game.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Agricola1
    It sounds to me that the only thing that might put you off is the small playerbase. Do the new 21 day trial before you buy the game.

Actually, it's a 14 day trial unless you're an old vet :P

But yes, do the trial.  It's different from when you did it last, you're no longer stuck on the station and are free to leave it and play the game like if you were subscribed to it.

• BamaDocBamaDoc Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by jstar99us

I never played SWG pre-NGE, but I do understand why so many veterans of the game were appalled by what SOE did.  That being said, I've loved Star Wars all my life and I keep finding myself tempted to play this game.  I don't have high expectations; I'm just looking to play around in the Star Wars universe.  I don't care about timeline and lore, I just want to play as a Jedi for the fun of it.
    What I've been reading about the game in its current state has left me with conflicting reports.  Some say the game is dead, broken, and on the way out, while others say it's improved a bit since the launch of the NGE.  Chances are I'll pick up the complete online adventurers when it comes out next month.  I played the 10-day trial right when the NGE came out and didn't get far because of server problems.  If anyone wouldn't mind objectively summing what I could get out of this game, if I just want to play around as a Jedi, do some quests, fight some Imperial NPC's, etc, I would appreciate it.  Like I said, my expectations aren't that high, but I really need some Star Wars gaming.  I already beat KOTOR, and multiplayer FPS's like Battlefront aren't my thing.

I say go for it. You can be a Jedi and run the Legacy Quests to get probably up to level 50. If you join the Rebel side you can do the theme park missions and see some of the characters from the films.  Just don't get caught up or upset by the number of unfriendly kids playing now. They don't add to the "MM" part of the MMORPG.

Much of the game is soloable (is that really a word btw?) now anyway so the MM portion isn't as important until you get to some of the Mustafar quests. Good luck and happy gaming.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by BamaDoc

I say go for it. You can be a Jedi and run the Legacy Quests to get probably up to level 50. If you join the Rebel side you can do the theme park missions and see some of the characters from the films.  Just don't get caught up or upset by the number of unfriendly kids playing now. They don't add to the "MM" part of the MMORPG.

Much of the game is soloable (is that really a word btw?) now anyway so the MM portion isn't as important until you get to some of the Mustafar quests. Good luck and happy gaming.

No!  Join the Empire!  Who would want to represent a bunch of hippies and a sister kisser? :P

• jstar99usjstar99us Member Posts: 9

Thanks for the tips people - I appreciate it :)

As for the unfriendly kids playing... that sounds just like World of Warcraft, my only MMO experience thus far.  So I'm no stranger to that.  I'm primarily a soloist and a PvE player, so I'm not too concerned.  MMORPG's appeal to me more for their "sandbox" element than for the "multiplayer" element.  I quit WoW because their was so little to do other than grinding and pointless quests, and the community sucked.  I don't expect much more from Galaxies... just the thrill of playing around in the Star Wars universe.  Anything else, like houses, vehicles, and other things you can do besides questing and griding would be just a bonus.

Oh, and as for the factions... I know I want to play a Jedi, probably a light-sided one, but I haven't decided if I would actually join the Rebels.  Hippies and a sister-kisser eh?  I can't argue with that!  Freelance pilot might be the way to go.  Time will tell once I have a chance to get into the game.

By the way, is it true they added auto-targeting to make combat a bit less FPS-like and more RPG-like, and added Jedi content that improved the class from the most nerfed into a decent melee class?

EDIT: I downloaded the 14-day trial but it wouldn't let me log in with my existing account because I'd already played the 10-day trial last year and it was expired.

EDIT: OK, so I found I could create a new account w/ my same email address.  If this game ever finishes downloading all its updates I'll be able to give it a try.

• JackBauer24JackBauer24 Member Posts: 283
    Obraik do you still play SWG?  

• in4sitin4sit Member Posts: 130
    Good luck to you and the trial is good advise. Also, just for a note... I have seen a lot of people play till they are 30 or 40 and leave the game because of nothing to do.. so that is something you may want to keep in mind as well.

Been there done that:
    Asherons Call,SWG,AOC,D&D,COH,Anarchy Online,DAOC,EVE,Guild Wars,LOTRO,POTBS,WAR,WW2, and Rift

• seanseanseansean Member Posts: 119
    Hi-I just started playing SWG about 10 days ago on the 14-day trial, and not only did I subscribe, I bought the trials of obi-wan expansion via digital download(you get a mustafarian bunker house as a reward) I didn't play pre-NGE either, and I'd read so many bad reports of the game, that I wasn't expecting much, but I'll tell ya, I'm having fun. I chose the Bria server because it has one of the highest populations. As far as quests go, the legacy quest is first up, soon as you get off tansari station, and that quest, when followed all the way through, will get you to level 40-50, roughly. there are plenty of other quests, side quests and so on, depending on which expansions you have, and since you're getting the complete adventures, you'll have a lot to do. PVP on the ground and in space is available to you if you want it. I'm low level, so I haven't pvp'd yet(except for one unfortunate mistake when I went to restuss(Ground PVP location) on a bounty hunter char I created, looking to buy some seeker droids. I accidentally rode my swoop bike into the pvp zone, my bike got blown up and I got killed). Crafting, even if it isn't as good as I've read it was before, is still better than I've seen in any other MMO I've played, specifically shipwright and armorsmith seem the best, and they have more content coming soon. My advice is go to the SWG message boards, and look through some of the player-made FAQ's and walkthroughs for more info. All I can say is, see for yourself and don't listen to all the naysayers.

I never played SWG pre-NGE, but I do understand why so many veterans of the game were appalled by what SOE did.  That being said, I've loved Star Wars all my life and I keep finding myself tempted to play this game.  I don't have high expectations; I'm just looking to play around in the Star Wars universe.  I don't care about timeline and lore, I just want to play as a Jedi for the fun of it. What I've been reading about the game in its current state has left me with conflicting reports.  Some say the game is dead, broken, and on the way out, while others say it's improved a bit since the launch of the NGE.  Chances are I'll pick up the complete online adventurers when it comes out next month.  I played the 10-day trial right when the NGE came out and didn't get far because of server problems.  If anyone wouldn't mind objectively summing what I could get out of this game, if I just want to play around as a Jedi, do some quests, fight some Imperial NPC's, etc, I would appreciate it.  Like I said, my expectations aren't that high, but I really need some Star Wars gaming.  I already beat KOTOR, and multiplayer FPS's like Battlefront aren't my thing.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Being a fan of Star Wars myself I will say this game does not do it justice. 

There's something close to about 60% of noticable players waving lightsabers around which distract from the environment of Star Wars more then anything else.  It's a poorly maintained persitent world with a plethora of long abandoned structures that clutter the landscape further removing any immersion which would be possible.

The best thing SWG has going for it is the art.  SOE has had some decent artists work on the game since its inception.  The game in its self looks great!  The graphics engine has always been a strong point for the game.

PvE:  The PvE used to be the strong point in SWG.  It was challenging and rewarding; ie a Risk Vs. Reward.  Now it's like playing a console game on easy with cheat codes.

Lag:  if you like it then you'll love SWG. 

Dynamics:  The only dynamics you'll have in SWG is regarding what class, profession, weapons, function the developers will change on you without notice.  That's about the extent of it now.   Oh wait, you do get an interesting display of slotted skills in a haphazardly thrown together skill sheet.

It's not a good game.  What's left is completely fractured from what a true gameing environment should be like.

• kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516

I never played SWG pre-NGE, You still have a chance to enjoy this game, then. but I do understand why so many veterans of the game were appalled by what SOE did.  That being said, I've loved Star Wars all my life and I keep finding myself tempted to play this game.  I don't have high expectations; Another good sign, for you at least, you cannot expect much from this broken heap of cyber-wreckage. I'm just looking to play around in the Star Wars universe.  I don't care about timeline and lore, I just want to play as a Jedi for the fun of it. Well hell man, if all you wanna do is be a jedi and wave around your lightsaber, this is the game for you. I can't help but notice though that you're a huge, lifelong Star Wars fan, yet you don't care about the lore. This "game" has no timeline anymore, so don't worry.
    What I've been reading about the game in its current state has left me with conflicting reports.  Some say the game is dead, broken, and on the way out, This is the [well-informed] report I often give from my firsthand experiences, and the one that a now-silent majority of SWG vets will also tell you. while others say it's improved a bit since the launch of the NGE. These people are fanbois who can't handle criticism and are either hypnotized by all of SOEs non-Star Warsy flashing particle effects or are somewhere on SOEs payroll. Chances are I'll pick up the complete online adventurers when it comes out next month.  I played the 10-day trial right when the NGE came out and didn't get far because of server problems. Please don't go out of your way to make excuses to skip a trial. This is a game so hotly disputed that you're never going to get a straight answer on, so you'd best go get your own experience first. If anyone wouldn't mind objectively summing what I could get out of this game, if I just want to play around as a Jedi, The NGE is great at this. do some quests, There are plenty of quests, but they are repetitive as hell and more boring than the wait at the DMV. fight some Imperial NPC's, PvE is no longer the center of SOEs attention in this game, but you can find some stormie patrols around the galaxy if that's what you want to do. etc, I would appreciate it.  Like I said, my expectations aren't that high, but I really need some Star Wars gaming.  I already beat KOTOR, and multiplayer FPS's like Battlefront aren't my thing.

From what you say you want out of SWG, it sounds like it won't be too disappointing, but don't expect it to feel as Star Warsy as it's advertised to be. Love it or hate it, I don't care too much, just don't lie to people about the game like a couple delusional fanbois around here do.

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.