Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should developers let some games die?

I know that some games are dying, but their makers won't let them fall and keep them on "life-support" (addicts) that will never quit until they run out of Cheetos. It seems that some very old games should be retired, so as to let them retain their glory. Also, wouldn't it cost more to keep the servers up than the nerds living in their parents basement have?

I have a problem....I don't play enough. Even though I'm usually on my comp playing RuneScape.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Games will die on their own when they are not profitable enough to satisfy their makers.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • corb135corb135 Member Posts: 40
    That may be, but what about the small developers that aren't as interested as making that much money? Would they let their creation die willingly? Would they let their favorite/earlier creation perish? I'm sure that most people would.

I have a problem....I don't play enough. Even though I'm usually on my comp playing RuneScape.

• BigwogBigwog Member Posts: 6

If some1 pays for a game... he should be able to play it for as long as he wants, this includes runescape, if some1 wasts valuable time and money on it, then why should a developer decide to completely kill it off?

if they have an update, such as better graphics or new storyline to add to it, then just expand it, or if they have a new game, they should run it on a different server...

ps, there will always be a few people playing an rpg, even if it is out of date, they may not be able to afford a new pc or maybe they actually have a life and would rather spend what little time they do have playing games focused on a single game that they know and enjoy, others would rather pay off a house or car rather then spend 3 grand on a new pc.

• corb135corb135 Member Posts: 40

I hear what you're saying, I understand it clearly, but this is the thing, when there are only 5,000 people online and you call that a rush, don't you think that's not bringing in cash? This isn't about the consumer, its about the developer, the people making the cash. If they see that a game isn't going anywhere, do you think that they'll keep the game going?

Updating might bring in a few players, so of course they should do that to keep the money/players flowing. Also, you can get a good computer for 500 dollars, there is no need to go and spend 3 grand on a freaking AlienWare or something. Most people just want computers that will let them play the game.

The developer calls the shots on all games, there is no way around it. If you were a developer, and you weren't getting enough profit from your favorite game for the last year, and it has shown no signs of an increase, would you let it go on like this, or would you put an end to it? Think about it from the executive standpoint and see what you think.

• y3wn33ky3wn33k Member Posts: 10

I see where ur comming from but i believe that game servers shouldnt close unless no1 plays them nemore. As long as a fair ammount of people are still playing a certain game, there should be no reason for the servers to close.

-

• SardokanSardokan Member Posts: 11
    I voted for 'no', because everyone should have the possibilty to play the games, he likes to play. The developers should not have the possibility to say: "so, that's it, let's delete this game". The only way to let a MMO(RP)G die should be to publish a server version of the game, so people who loved the game have the possibility to run this game for the last veterans on their own servers.
  • BigwogBigwog Member Posts: 6

Good point

• deadlydog5deadlydog5 Member Posts: 95

Well, most games die from lack of things to do like "been there done that" like Runescape JaG3x is getting to despertate and coming out with horrable updates -former player lvl 85- but it all comes down do to is it a game with members or not members can get bored quickly like me runescape is 5-6 years old and just boring image

But then some games shut down for sometime for massive updates never played a game but i heard of take like a week or two i heard once

But then there are addicts no matter how boring "just an excuse to stay home" sometimes lol my friends do that sometimes =p nerds just hack for better so they dont work like i did work for my 82 lvls (3 to start)

Heroes are born but legends never die