Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scamming Prevention

bailyesbailyes Member Posts: 188

I have made this topic to help you avoid those annoying scammers around MapleStory. If you follow all of my instructions, you will be less likely to get scammed.

My Background
I have been gaming on online games for 7 years now. I used to scam all the time on all the games I have been on. I have been banned at some point on every game I have played. So I'm guessing I know all the tricks of scamming... well almost. When I scammed when I was 8, I would take the items and money and run away and never return. When I was 11, I'd take the items and money and then I'd feel guilty and give it all back. I guess scamming has alot to do with your feelings. I used to get to know people very well and then at the last moment when they trusted me, I'd take all their stuff. Now I'm 15 and I'd like to make up to everyone by helping to prevent scammers doing what I've done in the past.

Drop Game
This scam happens 100s of times everyday. Almost everyone over lvl 30 has seen this scam happened or have fallen for it at some point. I like writing things in steps and it's easier to read so:

1. Someone (any lvl) will say "Who wants to play drop game?"
2. Follow him/her into the room that they say.
  (if mage lvl 30+)
3. They will stand above you in a room and ask you to drop stuff under them.
  (if not mage lvl 30+)
3. They will stand very close to you and ask you to drop
  (a hacker)
3. They can stand anywhere as long as they see what you're dropping
4. When you drop the item, the scammer will grab it and leave.

Password Scam

This is quite a popular scam. This is what will happen:

1. Scammer will say something like "If you say your password, it comes up like this: ********"
2. They ask you to do it and if you do, your password will show
3. They can get into your account.

The only problem with this scam is that they would have to guess your PIN. There are around 9900 different combinations. I suggest you go into 'Notepad' and randomly type out 4 numbers. Use these as your PIN because it is random. Avoid having PINs like '1234'.

Duplicating Items

This is a common scam where the scammer will try to get your items by saying he can duplicate them (make twice as many). This is what will happen:

1. The scammer will say "I can dublicate your items, trade me!"
2. They ask you to give them your best item
3. They will take you item and run

Even though the scammer's story may be convincing, it is impossible to duplicate items. The scammer may even be a rich person and shows you two Zakum Helmets. This may look extremely convincing but it is a scam. Never give your items to anyone you don't know or don't trust

What to do if you've been scammed
This is what to do after you've fallen for the scam (if you do):

1. Track the person ( /find *name* )
2. When you find the scammer, right click on him/her and "Alert GM"
3. Choose "Scamming" and the click ok.
4. You have now reported the scammer and a GM will sort this out.

Haven't got the scammer's name? Just search all the channels and all the maps to find the scammer and then report him/her.

Can you think of any scams I haven't wrote about yet? Just post the
scam and I'll write a guide for it. Please leave feedback. Thanks

Bailyes

Comments

• bailyesbailyes Member Posts: 188
    If you want me to post about any other scams then reply to this topic. Thanks

Bailyes

• TatorigaTatoriga Member UncommonPosts: 18
    "If you type your password, Wizet replaces it with stars. ***** see? Try it you!"
    No, they don't do that.

"plz i got haxed giv me mony"
    Never trust anyone low-levelled who goes about F4'ing and saying stuff like that. They most likely are pretending to having been hacked, and want money or equipment and the likes.
    Why would a hacker (if hacking accounts worked) hack a low-levelled account..?
    If you trust them, then just give them a cheap weapon of some kind, so they can make money themselves.

"I can duplicate any item you want. Just trade me it!"
    No, they can't. They just wanna steal it from you. v_v

Overall, never really trust anyone but you, and others who you know in real life and you would've trusted with your life. image

---
    Hi, this is a signature.

The one with "plz i got haxed giv me mony". I personally think that one is begging. I'll write up the duplicating one soon.

Bailyes

Overall, never really trust anyone but you, and others who you know in real life and you would've trusted with your life.

I kinda agree. Even Lvl  100+ characters can scam.  I've seen it be done before.

On the other hand I had to get my lvl 30 thief gloves scrolled and I was only lvl 26 so I went to FM and I found a Lvl 80 thief with high fame. I decided to trust him and lucky for me, he didn't scam.

The scrolls and the gloves added up to 300k.

Bailyes

I've added the guide for duplicating items. If anyone knows of any more scams I can post, please post here

Bailyes