Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could a noob still make it

2»

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by lillin
    Originally posted by PlanoMM
    let us know how fast ya put the game back down =)
    now c, y u gotta b like that? geez, anyway, gl Brotheryang, join Vox and look up Drlzzt when u get on, ill party with u.
    see they just sucking ya in so they can form a complete group, halls are empty.

I've been playing almost two years. How about you? You're slamming it because you don't like the game. Well you're not being forced to play it, you know.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

Originally posted by Brotheryang
    I thought of plaiyng this game but im wanting to know if a noob coulds till make it since i got no toon over level 8 i think 

Brotheryang hello, yes a ''noob'' can make it, especially if you find someone nice enuff to mentor you, mentoring essentially means that a person of higher lvl becomes the same level as the person being helped but with a slightly higher mirigation on all stats, any ''good'' guild will help mentor you in times of hardships through a quest or a lvl slump you may be having, if you would like i run order of storms on the bazaar server, my ign is haggly, also look for ameajaf, peacerose, and iemaj, and tell them you had talked to me on the forumns and if not they , then i will mentor and help you out man. btw im a lvl 70 palladin with haggly and i get a kick outta mentoring new people, as this also allows me to do quests with them that i may have grown out of and be able to go back and do.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• lillinlillin Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by boognish75

I thought of plaiyng this game but im wanting to know if a noob coulds till make it since i got no toon over level 8 i think 

Brotheryang hello, yes a ''noob'' can make it, especially if you find someone nice enuff to mentor you, mentoring essentially means that a person of higher lvl becomes the same level as the person being helped but with a slightly higher mirigation on all stats, any ''good'' guild will help mentor you in times of hardships through a quest or a lvl slump you may be having, if you would like i run order of storms on the bazaar server, my ign is haggly, also look for ameajaf, peacerose, and iemaj, and tell them you had talked to me on the forumns and if not they , then i will mentor and help you out man. btw im a lvl 70 palladin with haggly and i get a kick outta mentoring new people, as this also allows me to do quests with them that i may have grown out of and be able to go back and do.

On his server you could just buy your toon, your gold, and gear with but a credit card.  How much your palidan cost?
  • PlanoMMPlanoMM Member Posts: 1,267
    omg, lillian!  if that wasnt insulting i dont know what is.

On his server you could just buy your toon, your gold, and gear with but a credit card.  How much your palidan cost?

i did not buy my toon, i was on crushbone and transferred to bazaar to be with my wife while sjhe was playing, and transfer to bazaar is free, i didnt even know it was an exchage server till i sent my first piece of mail on it, i was like hunny wth is this option in the mail box, guess it has something to do with the auction, but me i have not used it.

• XandryaXandrya Member Posts: 59

This game is very much alive and very newbie freindly.  It is listed in the top ten here on MMORPG Website with a user rating of 8.2. 

I personally have been playing since release as have most of the 30 members of my guild.  I play on Lucan D'Lere because I like the immersion of roleplaying and we have a very nice community there. 

You will find hundreds of people to play with just about any time of the day or night, especially when the expansion comes out. 

I have 4 characters at levels 38, 60, 70, and 70.  I plan on creating a fairy as soon as they are available, maybe even two of them.  I love mentoring and interacting with new players too, as well as getting them involved with a bit of roleplaying.  Overall I think EQ2 has become much easier and more fun to play over the past 2 years, so this is a great time to be a noobie.  Come have fun with us and just /ignore the troller.  I think you will truly enjoy yourself.

You have been reported.

thats makes twice, cause i reported her too.

• lillinlillin Member Posts: 207

I will go ahead and report you to as well then as this classifies as harrassment.  You have added nothing to the conversation except threats.

In case you didn't know the bazaar server is a Station Exchange server.  This is the server SOE put up to let players buy items from each other in a safe and game legal manner.  Of course if either of you did play the game for a long time you might rember when this was a huge issue not only among the eq2 community but the entire mmo genre.

Now in this guys excuse of why he is on this server i find fualts in it.

First there is quite enough information explaining what the bazaar server is, and seeing his indepth analisys of everything else of the game, i find it hard to believe " he just didnt know" this is a station exchange server when he moved.

Second I have heard this same excuse a thousand times when people ask why some one is on the station exchange server.  Its the yes im here but only becuase ............ fill in the blank.

Third his wife is playing on this baz server and thats why he switched.  His wife didnt know what was going on there?  Why is his wife on a diff server then him to begin with?  These servers started later in the game, at which point in time the " free transfers were permited" and i doubht 2 of 2 people didnt know what was going on this server.  Especially with the explosion of the forums over the issue, not to mention newspaper articles and the such.

i mean i guess if you guys understood what went on you would understand why i asked the question and pointed out the server.  Becuase on that server he is totally right, any newb can start easily becuase they can buy anything and start at level cap if they want.

• Lukane77Lukane77 Member Posts: 32

All I heard was "WAAAAAA"

Favorite mmorpg's:
    SWG
    WoW

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Yes, a noob can still make it in EQ 2. The noob is EQ2's target audience. Not that this is a bad thing, or an adverse criticism, but if you are new to the MMORPG hobby, this is a great game to start with.

The problem occurs as you progress, the game starts to lack that something intangible, it's as if you feel you've been there, done that. Rather than offer that intangible, that feeling that you are in a high adventure fantasy game, SOE offers you fireworks, monkeys, and all kinds of crap to keep subscribing. The fact that they offer this stuff means that they know they have a problem keeping long term players as subscibers, they just don't know/care how to weave that intangible together and immerse the subscriber in the fantasy world.

Nor do they intend to. EQ2 is a generic, cookie cutter, assembly line game. It is that big Mac without the special sauce. It is the business model of something for everyone. As you develope from being a noob in MMORPGs you (hopefully) will start looking for more...maybe more story line driven, maybe more PvP, or whatever. However, EQ2 will still be your first MMORPG experience, and will have drawn you in, providing that initial hook. It's that first step, before you hit the Vanguards and the Age of Conans, that actually prepares you for better things to come.

I will go ahead and report you to as well then as this classifies as harrassment.  You have added nothing to the conversation except threats.
    In case you didn't know the bazaar server is a Station Exchange server.  This is the server SOE put up to let players buy items from each other in a safe and game legal manner.  Of course if either of you did play the game for a long time you might rember when this was a huge issue not only among the eq2 community but the entire mmo genre.
    Now in this guys excuse of why he is on this server i find fualts in it.
    First there is quite enough information explaining what the bazaar server is, and seeing his indepth analisys of everything else of the game, i find it hard to believe " he just didnt know" this is a station exchange server when he moved.
    Second I have heard this same excuse a thousand times when people ask why some one is on the station exchange server.  Its the yes im here but only becuase ............ fill in the blank.
    Third his wife is playing on this baz server and thats why he switched.  His wife didnt know what was going on there?  Why is his wife on a diff server then him to begin with?  These servers started later in the game, at which point in time the " free transfers were permited" and i doubht 2 of 2 people didnt know what was going on this server.  Especially with the explosion of the forums over the issue, not to mention newspaper articles and the such.
    i mean i guess if you guys understood what went on you would understand why i asked the question and pointed out the server.  Becuase on that server he is totally right, any newb can start easily becuase they can buy anything and start at level cap if they want.

Well first Mrs. illin, i do not have to explain why we playd on differentservers, none of your buisness, but just clear up anything to ease your weird paranoid mind of any faults, my wifes swg guild came to the bazaar server, while my swg guild went to the crushbone server, and after a lot of my guildees migrated to other games, and i had known a lot of my wifes guildees from us sharing accounts in swg, i transferred over there, along with the rest of my guildees feom crushbone, i hope this clarifies and faults you are trying to look for. image

that was ur original question to him.  How much your palidan cost?  unless ur 5, i dont believe i need to clarify that this implies that he "bought" his toon, instead of lvling his toon.  in what messed up, freakadelic, moronic, retarded world of warcraft loving, troll being, enemy making, every1isstupidexceptme attitude having world does that not seem like an insult?

all i read from the rest of ur posts is blah, blah, blah.

Originally posted by olddaddy

Yes, a noob can still make it in EQ 2. The noob is EQ2's target audience. Not that this is a bad thing, or an adverse criticism, but if you are new to the MMORPG hobby, this is a great game to start with.
    The problem occurs as you progress, the game starts to lack that something intangible, it's as if you feel you've been there, done that. Rather than offer that intangible, that feeling that you are in a high adventure fantasy game, SOE offers you fireworks, monkeys, and all kinds of crap to keep subscribing. The fact that they offer this stuff means that they know they have a problem keeping long term players as subscibers, they just don't know/care how to weave that intangible together and immerse the subscriber in the fantasy world.
    Nor do they intend to. EQ2 is a generic, cookie cutter, assembly line game. It is that big Mac without the special sauce. It is the business model of something for everyone. As you develope from being a noob in MMORPGs you (hopefully) will start looking for more...maybe more story line driven, maybe more PvP, or whatever. However, EQ2 will still be your first MMORPG experience, and will have drawn you in, providing that initial hook. It's that first step, before you hit the Vanguards and the Age of Conans, that actually prepares you for better things to come.

EQII is no more "noob" friendly then any other game out there.  WOW, need i say more.  if ur new to mmos, start with some of the f2p games out there and then come back and tell me that EQII is more noobie than those.  i mean come on, man, Knight online doesnt even have a crafting system, Hero Online doesnt have much of one.  Silkroad......dont even need to finish it.

if u ever stop in the middle of a game and say "been there, done that", welcome to MMOs.  i dont know a game out there that doesnt make u think that at one point or another.  with the exception of EVE.  All MMOs want ur sub money, and will offer u fireworks, monkeys, and all kinds of crap to keep u subscribing.  again, welcome to MMOs.  ppl lose interest in MMOs, its a perfectly natural thing.  doesnt mean that the game is going down the tube.  if so, what about all the ppl coming TO eqii from WOW!!!  its happening ppl, go look at the official forums if u dont believe me.  i personnally have left all the aforementioned games several times.  ive been playing and leaving FFXI for about 3 yrs now.  does that mean that FFXI is going down the tube?  cause they cant keep me attention.  i didnt think so.

lillian has pointed out a very real truth in another thread or post somewhere.  some1 suggested a new type of quest system in which doors were trapped or something to make the quests more involving.  but as lillian pointed out, it would only b unique to the first person or so b4 the answer or "guide" made it all over the internet, and from there it would then just b a tedious step in the quest similiar to the kill x amount of mobs to finish the quest.

It is the business model of something for everyone. <----this describes WOW doesnt it?

now i do agree that Vanguard will b awesome if its what they say its going to b, but to say that EQII is a babies game vs. these new unreleased-as-of-yet games, is not really true.  in any sense of the statement.

again, i reiterate, if u feel that EQII is nothing more than a starter MMO for a "noobie", go play KO, or HO, for about 2 months or so, then come say that.  i think u c it alittle differently if u do.

Originally posted by olddaddy
    Yes, a noob can still make it in EQ 2. The noob is EQ2's target audience. Not that this is a bad thing, or an adverse criticism, but if you are new to the MMORPG hobby, this is a great game to start with. The problem occurs as you progress, the game starts to lack that something intangible, it's as if you feel you've been there, done that. Rather than offer that intangible, that feeling that you are in a high adventure fantasy game, SOE offers you fireworks, monkeys, and all kinds of crap to keep subscribing. The fact that they offer this stuff means that they know they have a problem keeping long term players as subscibers, they just don't know/care how to weave that intangible together and immerse the subscriber in the fantasy world. Nor do they intend to. EQ2 is a generic, cookie cutter, assembly line game. It is that big Mac without the special sauce. It is the business model of something for everyone. As you develope from being a noob in MMORPGs you (hopefully) will start looking for more...maybe more story line driven, maybe more PvP, or whatever. However, EQ2 will still be your first MMORPG experience, and will have drawn you in, providing that initial hook. It's that first step, before you hit the Vanguards and the Age of Conans, that actually prepares you for better things to come.
    If you want noobish ways, go play WoW. EQ2 is nothing like that. It's much more in depth than WoW can ever remotely touch.

• ArremusArremus Member Posts: 656

Well I skipped all the bullshit dribble after your original question, so have no idea if you were thinking PvP or PvE server.

If you're thinking of playing a PvP server, well my answer would be yes, with a very big 'but'.

EQ2 PvP is 90% gear, 10-... hmm no 95% gear, 5% skill.
    It's ALL about the gear. Your gear matters most. PvP combat is all about the gear. Get the picture?
    So, yes, you can make it as a newb on the PvP servers, but it's going to be a very tough ride.

* Be prepared to be ganked repeatedly in your beginner areas by even con enemies that you cannot even scratch.
    * Know that when you go quest to try gain exp and levels, you have a 20% chance of getting even half of the quest done unless you have a big, well equipped group, or are working in instances.
    * Understand that in order to succeed, you either need to harvest your ass off to try get rares (which also equals getting ganked repeatedly, so do this with a crafter alt), or farm instances over and over to get gear and levels, and thus avoiding PvP... which kind of contradicts being on a PvP server.
    * Realise that PvP in EQ2 leads nowhere, and is full of VERY big holes. Such as someone will attack you and then run and zone, or people will fly on griffons repeatedly until they can jump off and gank you etc. PvP in EQ2 has no purpose. And this ties directly into the gear thing. If you have crap gear, which you will as a newb, be prepared to get gang raped and one shotted repeatedly.
    * Because you're new and have no money, you have no horse. The old players have a 48% run speed horse on their raid twinked 35 alt, and will run you down and one shot you as you try to hunt or quest.
    * The people on your OWN team (City) seem to think you are all at war with each other too, so the Adept 1 you really need will cost the same as a freaking rare of the same tier. Master 1s will be the price of a pair of horses etc. Unless you find stuff yourself, or are very lucky with harvesting rares, you will not be able to afford decent upgrades to skills/spells.
    * Being new and inexperienced, and not knowing anyone, you will find you will not get invited to groups out in Ant etc, and thus will not be protected if Freeps or Qeynosians zerg your area. You will thus die a lot as you watch your citymates running for the hills, leaving you for dead ((have seen this so many times that it's just.. simply pathetic. There is no sense of TEAM on Venekor, at all, in Qeynos)).

Hmm.. let me revise my original thought.
    "If you're thinking of playing a PvP server, well my answer would be yes, with a very big 'but'. + and that but being that you're setting yourself up for a LOT of ganked frustration unless you a) have friends who play b) manage to actually find a very supportive guild early on c) have a very thick skin and can look past extreme design flaws in a PvP game.

If you're playing on PvE? Meh, course. EQ2 PvE is plastic and shallow. Just go harvest for hours, get rares, sell, buy good stuff, get bored, try PvP, realise it's a mess, quit. image

Well, that's what I did anyways! image

"(The) Iraqi people owe the American people a huge debt of gratitude." - George W Bush.
    Oh. My. God.

PvP sucks. It's called EVERQUEST for a reason. If you're not here to PvE, then go play a game designed for PvP because you're not going to be happy.

Originally posted by Arremus

Well I skipped all the bullshit dribble after your original question, so have no idea if you were thinking PvP or PvE server.

If you're thinking of playing a PvP server, well my answer would be yes, with a very big 'but'.

EQ2 PvP is 90% gear, 10-... hmm no 95% gear, 5% skill.
    It's ALL about the gear. Your gear matters most. PvP combat is all about the gear. Get the picture?
    So, yes, you can make it as a newb on the PvP servers, but it's going to be a very tough ride.

* Be prepared to be ganked repeatedly in your beginner areas by even con enemies that you cannot even scratch.
    * Know that when you go quest to try gain exp and levels, you have a 20% chance of getting even half of the quest done unless you have a big, well equipped group, or are working in instances.
    * Understand that in order to succeed, you either need to harvest your ass off to try get rares (which also equals getting ganked repeatedly, so do this with a crafter alt), or farm instances over and over to get gear and levels, and thus avoiding PvP... which kind of contradicts being on a PvP server.
    * Realise that PvP in EQ2 leads nowhere, and is full of VERY big holes. Such as someone will attack you and then run and zone, or people will fly on griffons repeatedly until they can jump off and gank you etc. PvP in EQ2 has no purpose. And this ties directly into the gear thing. If you have crap gear, which you will as a newb, be prepared to get gang raped and one shotted repeatedly.
    * Because you're new and have no money, you have no horse. The old players have a 48% run speed horse on their raid twinked 35 alt, and will run you down and one shot you as you try to hunt or quest.
    * The people on your OWN team (City) seem to think you are all at war with each other too, so the Adept 1 you really need will cost the same as a freaking rare of the same tier. Master 1s will be the price of a pair of horses etc. Unless you find stuff yourself, or are very lucky with harvesting rares, you will not be able to afford decent upgrades to skills/spells.
    * Being new and inexperienced, and not knowing anyone, you will find you will not get invited to groups out in Ant etc, and thus will not be protected if Freeps or Qeynosians zerg your area. You will thus die a lot as you watch your citymates running for the hills, leaving you for dead ((have seen this so many times that it's just.. simply pathetic. There is no sense of TEAM on Venekor, at all, in Qeynos)).

Hmm.. let me revise my original thought.
    "If you're thinking of playing a PvP server, well my answer would be yes, with a very big 'but'. + and that but being that you're setting yourself up for a LOT of ganked frustration unless you a) have friends who play b) manage to actually find a very supportive guild early on c) have a very thick skin and can look past extreme design flaws in a PvP game.

If you're playing on PvE? Meh, course. EQ2 PvE is plastic and shallow. Just go harvest for hours, get rares, sell, buy good stuff, get bored, try PvP, realise it's a mess, quit. image

Well, that's what I did anyways! image

actually i play on a pvp server.  and as u said u do get ganked frequently, but seeing as u dont really lose anything from the encounter(put all ur money in the bank) and u will find lower lvl enemies running around that u can take as well, it balances out.  i dont have any problems finishing quests, harvesting, and/or just killing mobs for lvl.  sometimes a group of high lvl freeps will gank the gates of quenos and stay there for a while, but there is usually a group of high lvl quenos there too, and there battling it out, and completely ignore u if ur not a threat to them.  i believe ur percentage is a bit off too on the good gear vs. skill thing.  i had crap gear and was perfectly able to hold me own against cons.  sometimes not so much, lol.  but i do believe that it has alot more to do with skill than u would lead us to believe.  i mean, i have(as a pally) 3 different healing spells that i can cast at the most opportune time and then throw on me self healing necklace and use the demo of faith skill, then still use a Essence of Health that i can make meself, and keep meself healed pretty damn well in an encounter.  what i hate is when im actually fighting a group of mobs and then just as im getting rdy to finish the group of mobs off, an assassin or something comes up behind me and takes advantage of the fact that now im without power and at half health because ive been fighting and cant use most of me skills because of recast timing, lol, and is able to kill me quickly even tho hes like 4 or 5 lvls lower than me.  now that sux.  but just to spite him, i dont fight back at all, i just use the emote "Sarcasm" on him, lol.  stupid i know, but i get a kick out of it.

frankly, i like the fact that pvp in this game is somewhat unbalanced.  i mean, do u honestly think that pvp in real life would b "balanced", tell that to all the kids in school that get picked on by some1 that is twice their size.  makes it abit more realistic, imo.  anyway, i love pvp.  btw, i dont gank lower lvl players (unless they do what i described above).

• rakshasharakshasha Member Posts: 15
    After the 4th day on the trial and having had two accounts on WoW., we cancelled one of the WoW accounts and are getting the EoF package and are going to enjoy the hell out of ourselves on an RP server. We love to quest and to craft in depth. PvP we could give to shakes from a drunken camel from. BTW we house 5 gamers atm till the other 3 daughters are old enough to play as well. I say a slope browed big eared mule footed bright eyed noobie could still make it., however youll probably want to go on a NON pvp server and oh yes get all your gathering skills to 40 before leaving the first area. Being a packrat on a game like this doesnt hurt either ;-)
  • olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Originally posted by Moirae
    If you want noobish ways, go play WoW. EQ2 is nothing like that. It's much more in depth than WoW can ever remotely touch.

I have played EQ 2 since launch, it is a much easier game now than then. It was dumbed down in response to WOW, and is an entry level game in the market. It has no where near the depth that Vanguard, or Age of Conan, and a few others promise. I will not go into whether those changes were good, or bad, for the game. Some elements of the customer base liked the changes, some did not. I stayed with EQ 2 up until the crafting changes. My reason for dropping was that I was a Tier 2 supplier, I supplied the interim products and raw material chemicals needed to complete the finished products. SOE's change put me right out of business, and the market for normal crafted goods became unprofitable. I did not like the econmoic model that removed the profit from crafting, and made it a grind in which you only recover the cost of fuel, but not the cost of time for gathering and crafting. I wish SOE would not allow their programmers to receive the cost of their labor, then we could see how much they really like that type of economic system.

I received a lot of kidding on my server because I ran a business as a business, and gambled on new product mixes. I also did one hell of alot of business, and had alot of friends, as my prices were listed, fixed, and reasonable. When my character went out to gather/adventure, I was always greeted and invited to goup several times a day. It was fun while it lasted, but I'm not alone in my views. Anyone that is a member of a large guild can see the number of high level guild members, many of them that were the movers and shakers in increasing guild strength, have not logged in anywhere from 50 to 150 days. Just look....and they didn't leave because the game had depth.

Promises are just promises, olddaddy. None of those games are released yet so it remains to be seen whether those promises are fulfilled or if they're a joke. And at this moment in time, EQ2 is the best game out there.

• rakshasharakshasha Member Posts: 15

Any more depth to a game beyond EQ2 with the upcoming expansion and itll be too close to real life with the amount of time it takes to get things done. And no offense to SoE relogging every hour or two because they havent fixed a known problem doesnt give me too much hope for a brand new product support wise.

As far as running things as a business i do understand where you're coming from there olddaddy., but to be plainly honest if people were able to make all their money that they expended back then they would be in a self defeating cycle. In a way i understand your pain and i understand theirs.

But just getting back your fuel is one thing., i understand getting only 2% of the time invested back of hard work you put into something only to find zero buyers at established and even lower prices. Its disheartening.

a little tip on crafting and how to lvl a little faster..kk go to your abilities and under crafting tile the crafting abilities horizontal, this will make all the crafting icons for each  thing on the same page ande in order, ok to make yer xp go a lil faster while crafting...make a pristine of everything on yer build list, pristine items give you a bonus xp fopr making a pristine item, to make a pristine item always go for the icon that sais duration, if you go for speed up productivity this will almost always make your item generic . hope this helps all.

yeah, i figured that out the hard way, lol.  about the durability tile i mean.  now thats what i do too.  i havent really crafted much, but im already a 22 alchy, and thats how i got there.  making a pristine of everything once.  it works.