Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an honest answer...

Hello-

I was hoping that someone could give me a reasonable, honest assesment of the current state of crafting in the game.  I know that many loot items tend to be better than crafted, and that decay has been removed.  The change in the nature of the crafting game (including decay elimination) was one of my main reasons for quitting post NGE.

A little background:  I played literally since the crash ridden day 1 and I was a sicko with 4 accounts.  I had a MBH/MP, a Village Jedi (with a opened Chef alt), a MBE/Rifleman, and a MSW/TKA.  So, prior to the NGE, I played a total of 5 characters on Starsider, 3 of whom were crafters.  I enjoyed crafting at least as much as hunting Jedi, PVP and PVE with my MBH.  I also made a ton of money with my Chef, Shipwright and Bio-Engineered supplements.

I found crafting to be diverting when sick of combat, and I also found the resource hunt and chase (of all kinds, harvestor driven and animal) to be a challenge I really enjoyed.  I also found the challenge of making some of the best food/drink, BE components, and ship parts on the server to be just as rewarding as success in combat.

Anyway, I know now that crafters are "3 at a time" crafters, but what is the state of each?  Are any truly useful?  Does food still play an important role?  It seems like weaponsmith is useless now, but even without decay, Armor can be a form of clothes, so should sell...

Could someone give me an honest objective run through on each crafting profession?  And by each, give me each, not a review of the put together trifectas...  Be honest about the good and the bad if you could please!  I appreciate it...

Altre Monserrat - MBH/MP
Aaden Monserrat - Elder Jedi
Starsider - <DFC> - Dark Force Clan

Comments

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

I do not know a lot about crafting I have never played one. But to give you and honest answer generally, the crafter right now can do a lot of things, but with loot drops and the economy and other things, crafting overall is in bad shape. There is a revamp coming up soon for crafters, I do not believe that there have been any final decisions on what the new crafting system is going to look like. I play the game right now and enjoy it, personally if you want to be a crafter I would wait at least a few more months and see what sort of system will be coming. The game is improving, but in regards to crafters, there are still a lot of improvements that need to be addressed and fixed. I would wait for the time being but that is just me. I wish I could help you out more, but there will be other players who will give you a lot more helpful information soon. Bring it on down now.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• pjskullpjskull Member Posts: 65

Well, I am staring to think that a revamped crafting system with decay, a further refinement of the auto-attack system to be more user friendly, and the removal of the Benny Hill herky-jerky movement and I might consider re-subscribing...  (I can't believe I am saying this...)

Does anyone have a review of the state of each crafting segment as it stands now?

Oh yeah, and please bring back the old UI and mouse movement system, or make it an option...  Can this be that hard?)

Altre Monserrat - MBH/MP

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

as for UI and movement, there is a sticky here that describes changes you can make to return it to very near what it was.

When I returned to the game recently, I started my first crafter- a munitions trader.  Weaponsmith did seem fairly pointless considering what I could make Vs what could be found through quests/loot, but there is still a good market for armorsmiths.  My problem as a first time crafter was and is resources-  I've been a master for about a month now and still cannot come close to creating a set of armor fit to sell, because quality resources can't be found. 

I should have been able to make up for what resources I can't find by buying them, but many of the resources I need seem to be also used by jedi for lightsaber crafting, so all the high quality ones are for sale in extremely small lots with very high prices.  Even though I have a large bankroll from my main, buying what I need would mean insane prices on my armor sets to make even a small profit.  On the upside, creature harvesting has been restored, so hides and such will be easier to get a hold of soon.

thats my take on current munitions crafting, sorry its limited but like I said I'm a newbie crafter.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

I'm pretty much a full time Armoursmith and I can tell you that there is no shortage on the demand for armour, mostly because crafted armour is superior to looted :)  No, there's no decay anymore but that also sorta plays in favour for armour sales with layered armour.  With decay, layered armour was usually reserver for those that had a full set of ADK's, those with a lot of money, or the crazy due to it's high cost and the high decay rate.  For me, I sell alot more layered armour then I do standard capped armour, which I actually prefer because layered armour is more interesting and involved to make then the latter.

Also, just because there's no decay doesn't mean you won't get repeat customers.  I have quite a number of customers that come back for many more suits after the first, either for a new colour scheme, different armour types or different layering to suit their changing play styles.

Shipwright (Structures) hasn't changed at all, probably because space hasn't been changed either.  Space still suffers decay in most situations (although there are ways to avoid it) and nothing in the shipwright crafting process has been changed and is probably in just as much demand today as it was back pre-nge.  Chef needs some work done on it, at the moment they only have 2 or 3 foods that are really desirable.  Because BE's don't exist, yet foods still accept BE enhancers, if you don't have any left over supplies then you will find it hard to compete with those that do as theirs will always come out superior.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508
    its not that great right now the economy is really lacking, but teh new crafting system is coming up in chapter 5 and it seems to be going great for crafters.

• pjskullpjskull Member Posts: 65

OK, quasi hijack of the thread with more questions, but since i originated it, I won't feel bad.  I know some of these might be in the sticky, but it sounds like there have been some recent changes, so I'm looking to get some current info...

From a resource perspective, I should be ok to start crafting up again, since I had a good stockplie of material of many types prior to cancellation.  (Might even have some BE additives laying around.)  Soo...

I see many posts on the SWG forums about structure cleanup, so are all structures still there?  I am pretty sure I picked up all my harvestors, but I left multiple houses, a guild hall, and some factories up. 

(1.)  I assume I pay my maintenance and all the contents are still there?

(2.)  Oh, one more...  there is just "XP" now?  Use a pistol, use an acid rifle, there is no "Pistol XP", just XP, correct?  Is that why space can be used to grind XP?

Again, thanks for your helpful responses...

Altre Monserrat - MBH/MP

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by pjskull
    Hello- I was hoping that someone could give me a reasonable, honest assesment of the current state of crafting in the game.  I know that many loot items tend to be better than crafted, and that decay has been removed.  The change in the nature of the crafting game (including decay elimination) was one of my main reasons for quitting post NGE. A little background:  I played literally since the crash ridden day 1 and I was a sicko with 4 accounts.  I had a MBH/MP, a Village Jedi (with a opened Chef alt), a MBE/Rifleman, and a MSW/TKA.  So, prior to the NGE, I played a total of 5 characters on Starsider, 3 of whom were crafters.  I enjoyed crafting at least as much as hunting Jedi, PVP and PVE with my MBH.  I also made a ton of money with my Chef, Shipwright and Bio-Engineered supplements. I found crafting to be diverting when sick of combat, and I also found the resource hunt and chase (of all kinds, harvestor driven and animal) to be a challenge I really enjoyed.  I also found the challenge of making some of the best food/drink, BE components, and ship parts on the server to be just as rewarding as success in combat. Anyway, I know now that crafters are "3 at a time" crafters, but what is the state of each?  Are any truly useful?  Does food still play an important role?  It seems like weaponsmith is useless now, but even without decay, Armor can be a form of clothes, so should sell... Could someone give me an honest objective run through on each crafting profession?  And by each, give me each, not a review of the put together trifectas...  Be honest about the good and the bad if you could please!  I appreciate it...
    I play a domestics trader actively on Lowca.

Foods do not sell well overall.  My mandolorian wine sells, but people aren't so much for food anymore, even if it does make a noticable difference.

My most profitable business is completely in vanity.  My clothing is completely useless, but people still buy a lot of clothing from me, especially from my uniforms vender, which sells "authentic" imperial, rebel and local authority uniforms such as the Mos Eisley Police (I actually contract out to an armorsmith to include the proper boots) and CorSec wear.

My friends in munitions are suffering because loot/reward weapons are overpowered even if armor sales keep them going. 

My friends in engineering keep themselves afloat on swoop sales and have hopes that the harvest droids will work again eventually now that they put harvesting back in the game.

My friends in structures do okay, getting most of their business from other traders who need harvesters and stations, but that business is very slow recently.  Most don't bother with homes and furnature except by special order, as these items are expensive to produce and move slowly as well.

The state of commerce varies from server to server, so you can't get an accurate picture of things from just my people on Lowca.  However, I don't think I'm letting my negative bias speak much when I say it's just not the good, stiff market it used to be before the CU and NGE.

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by pjskull
    OK, quasi hijack of the thread with more questions, but since i originated it, I won't feel bad.  I know some of these might be in the sticky, but it sounds like there have been some recent changes, so I'm looking to get some current info... From a resource perspective, I should be ok to start crafting up again, since I had a good stockplie of material of many types prior to cancellation.  (Might even have some BE additives laying around.)  Soo... I see many posts on the SWG forums about structure cleanup, so are all structures still there?  I am pretty sure I picked up all my harvestors, but I left multiple houses, a guild hall, and some factories up.  Unless you deleted the character to whom the building belonged, it should still be there.  This does NOT apply to harvesters, however.  If your maintenance runs out on those, they'll take damage and vanish quickly.
    (1.)  I assume I pay my maintenance and all the contents are still there? Yes.
    (2.)  Oh, one more...  there is just "XP" now?  Use a pistol, use an acid rifle, there is no "Pistol XP", just XP, correct?  Is that why space can be used to grind XP? Yes and no.  Space xp only transfers a small portion of itself into your ground combat xp.  All ground combat and combat quests give you generic combatant xp.  Neither of these things gives you any entertainer or crafter xp.  Basicly you have space xp, combat xp, crafter xp and entertainer xp.
    Again, thanks for your helpful responses...

• BamaDocBamaDoc Member Posts: 162
    And if you're starting a new trader there is a series of items you can use to grind to Master the quickest. It sounds like you have a vet character and don't need that info. If you do just let me know.
  • admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

devs have been noticably quiet about the crafter revamp. In the past soe has taken the vow of silence when it knew info would lead to cancelled accounts so their silence says a lot.

my guess is crafter is going to end up like entertainers. If you havent heard, entertainers are getting TKA type combat added to their skills. The devs called entertainer the new control class of swg.

maybe trader will be a debuff class or something else odd. one thing is for sure, its not going to be a return to the days of crafted goods being better than loot.