Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is an Ammar?

pigionpigion Member Posts: 53

Okay, i know all races are the same, can accese same ships, same skills, same everything if you train for it. Now while on the EvE forums, i herd a man whining about how sad it will be to be a Ammar soon. Now what does it matter what race you are? And i was just wondering what the nerf will be that will effect them so much? Anyway, thanks, and see you in space.

-Razig

Comments

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550
    This is what you have to understand about the EVE forums - the majority of the people who discuss game balance on them are the people who arent very good at EVE, begging for advantages to cover their own shortcomings.

However, a group of those useless morons banded together and have been whining about amarr sucking for so long that most people accept it as true, even though its not.

Train for whichever race looks most fun to you, theyve all got a solid share of good ships.

• DrelazDrelaz Member Posts: 3
    Like rollin said just play the race you would like to play the most, there are quite alot of difference in the ships that every race has but every race has more then enough capable ships. Oh and to clear something up when people talk about a race being weak/strong then they mean the ships belonging to that race. Besides the first skills you get (which only take like 1 day to retrain for another race) nothing is stopping you from training for example Galante ships while your character is Amarr.

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

I am Amarr - Amarr and I have 4 charm, the second best race in the game. Only Caldari - Achura beats it.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Originally posted by RollinDutch
    This is what you have to understand about the EVE forums - the majority of the people who discuss game balance on them are the people who arent very good at EVE, begging for advantages to cover their own shortcomings.

However, a group of those useless morons banded together and have been whining about amarr sucking for so long that most people accept it as true, even though its not.

Train for whichever race looks most fun to you, theyve all got a solid share of good ships.

This isant 100% accurate.

Recently Tuxford [a developer] Stated thet there were problems with amarr ships and guns mainly being that they had no flavour.

Nethereless dont let this decide your race for you chose the race YOU like the most and have fun.

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

Originally posted by pigion
    Okay, i know all races are the same, can accese same ships, same skills, same everything if you train for it. Now while on the EvE forums, i herd a man whining about how sad it will be to be a Ammar soon. Now what does it matter what race you are? And i was just wondering what the nerf will be that will effect them so much? Anyway, thanks, and see you in space.
    -Razig

It's a figure of speech, being amarr is equal to mostly flying amarr ships. Either because you focused your training on them ore because you like how they look. For example if you read the forum a lot you will find that the major for minmatar ships are caldari character named Jim McGregor.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

-Razig

The "Amarr" have a serious shortcoming in relation to equality in PvP.  Due to the high demand on fitting midSlots inorder to be "sucessful" in PvP you'll find that Amarr ships are extremelt ineffecient in this field of allowments. 

There's another arguement that Lasers are extremely over valued and ill in comparison to other turrets and weapons.  Lasers lack the ability to exchange or refit their "ammo" for different damage types.  

Then there's a matter of drones.  Amarr ships are typically not capable of using drones.  While there are a few they do not "even the playing field". 

Players tend to "sepcialize".  Using Amarr ships is an obvious downfall for those who specialize in them.  While they do have "cool" looking ships they are inferior to others in their class when there's a need to PvP.  Of course there's the factor of skillmanship which can allow for them to be more effective then not.

My idea for fixs would be along the lines:

Increase powergrid on all Amarr ships. Not much, but just enough.

Increase Laser dmg slightly. 

New Module - Anti Missle Battery // Amarr suck with missles.  Their technology would have been created with this counter in mind due to the extremely high rate of missles being used in battles.  The Amarr would have established a means of countering them.  Think over-glorified Deffenders that would actually work. 

I exclusively fly Amarr ships with recent diversity amongst frigates.  The Punisher is a great frigate although there are many better tacklers and frigate-EW ships.

• pigionpigion Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by mindspat

-Razig

The "Amarr" have a serious shortcoming in relation to equality in PvP.  Due to the high demand on fitting midSlots inorder to be "sucessful" in PvP you'll find that Amarr ships are extremelt ineffecient in this field of allowments. 

There's another arguement that Lasers are extremely over valued and ill in comparison to other turrets and weapons.  Lasers lack the ability to exchange or refit their "ammo" for different damage types.  

Then there's a matter of drones.  Amarr ships are typically not capable of using drones.  While there are a few they do not "even the playing field". 

Players tend to "sepcialize".  Using Amarr ships is an obvious downfall for those who specialize in them.  While they do have "cool" looking ships they are inferior to others in their class when there's a need to PvP.  Of course there's the factor of skillmanship which can allow for them to be more effective then not.

New Module - Anti Missle Battery // Amarr suck with missles.  Their technology would have been created with this counter in mind due to the extremely high rate of missles being used in battles.  The Amarr would have established a means of countering them.  Think over-glorified Deffenders that would actually work. 

I exclusively fly Amarr ships with recent diversity amongst frigates.  The Punisher is a great frigate although there are many better tacklers and frigate-EW ships.

Wow okay thanks everyone for that info. Was just deciding, i already have started a mimnitar guy. he has 2 in gunnery, 1 in mining, and alot in spaceships, like mimnitar frigit 3, navigation 3, and combat manuvering. Basically starting skills, except the frigit 3, and afterbruner. So i like them alot, fast ships and all. But thanks for the Ammar info.

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Wow okay thanks everyone for that info. Was just deciding, i already have started a mimnitar guy. he has 2 in gunnery, 1 in mining, and alot in spaceships, like mimnitar frigit 3, navigation 3, and combat manuvering. Basically starting skills, except the frigit 3, and afterbruner. So i like them alot, fast ships and all. But thanks for the Ammar info.

Interceptor + Micro Warp Drive = lighting fast

If you like fast ships, then you probably want to look into being a tackler. What a tackler does is he fits out a small fast ship (usually an Assualt Ship or Interceptor, a T2 Frigate) with a Jump Inhibitor (keeps people from running away), A Statis Webifier (slows people down), an Afterburner or MWD (to knock people off target by ramming them and throwing them off course), and some NOS (to help drain power). You'll probably never be on the kill mail, but you will be playing a vital role to the combat.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

Okay, i know all races are the same, can accese same ships, same skills, same everything if you train for it. Now while on the EvE forums, i herd a man whining about how sad it will be to be a Ammar soon. Now what does it matter what race you are? And i was just wondering what the nerf will be that will effect them so much? Anyway, thanks, and see you in space. -Razig

The only actual problem with Amarr is that ECM is entirely too good atm, but thats not a specifically amarr problem, and ECM is getting nerfed somewhat.

If you think that laser damage types are a problem, youre wrong. If you think lasers dont do enough damage, youre wrong. There are a few ships (maller, retribution, crusader/malediction, sac) which could use some love, but all races have a few ships which could use some love.

The problem which most people have with balance is that theyre not very good at EVE, and when they fight people who are good at EVE, they lose. BOY THATS A SHIP BALANCE PROBLEM RIGHT THERE.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

The only actual problem with Amarr is that ECM is entirely too good atm, but thats not a specifically amarr problem, and ECM is getting nerfed somewhat.

If you think that laser damage types are a problem, youre wrong. If you think lasers dont do enough damage, youre wrong. There are a few ships (maller, retribution, crusader/malediction, sac) which could use some love, but all races have a few ships which could use some love.

The problem which most people have with balance is that theyre not very good at EVE, and when they fight people who are good at EVE, they lose. BOY THATS A SHIP BALANCE PROBLEM RIGHT THERE.

I believe many of us would agree that Lasers do decent damage.  The static process of "dmg" isn't the issue with lasers. (I have surgical strike 5, small pulse laser spec 5)

The overall agreement is upon the capacitor usage and Amarr ships generally recieving a cap bonus to compensate for their high usage requirements.  There's a dependancy upon cap.  If you're out of cap you're probally already dead.

Too me there seems to be a need or an advantage to field racial fittings and it shouldn't act as an actuall penalty.  Fit Amarr with Neutron Blasters then let's talk about damage.    :)

I personaly like the ability to cross fit ships with turrets and weapons which aren't specific to the ship's racial affialiation.  To me this is the basis of a true "roll play game" environment. 

I would propose to leave lasers with their current cap usage although slighty, and I do mean slightly, increase the dmg to counter the "penalty" associated with capacitor needs.  If you're using a weapon that has such a negative impact on your, draining your own cap, there should be an equal balance to warrant such usage; i.e. more damage.  I'm not saying lasers don't do good damage, they do.  But when you can fit other races turrets on your Amarr ships and do EVEN more dmg then a laser and have reduced cap usage I think someone overlooked some minor balancing...

p.s.  I'm working on hybrid blaster spec for tech II neutrons.  They will fit nicely on any Amarr ship and easily out perform pulse lasers. :)

• lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200

Broadly speaking, using lasers is playing EVE on hard-mode.

They have the capacity to excel against other platforms, but the margin of competence and utter failure is usually razor thin.  Like 1-1.5km on an orbit. (See Zealot)  With the second slowest ships in the game usually.

Also, Amarr ships specialize in lowslots, which are not too helpful in pvp.  Their most popular use is for warp core stabs, which occasionally enable one to run away from a battle.

Amarr have a few very good pvp ships, however.  Almost all of them are serviceable in the hands of someone who knows how they are meant to be used.

People who are more familiar with the fighting style of a Rupture, or Thorax will generally look at the inability of Amarr ships to get up close and personal as effectively as a weakness without explanation.  Those are used to a stand-off approach will ken to the simplicity and flexibility of something like a Caracal or a Vexor which usually have extra tricks up their sleeve.

Lasers are generally something that are meant to be used in focused fire situations.  Their range and tracking characteristics tend to suggest this.  They do not need to mwd up to a target to begin doing damage.  If an enemy scuttles up to one of their allies, the ally's friends tend to have a clearer targetting solution than he does.  So basically, lasers users excel at support fire.

Amarr ships take real finesse (and luck) to be used effectively in solo situations.  Usually Amarr turret ships have zero contingencies, no/few drones, rarely ECM, so they have be in exactly the right situation, and do exactly what needs to be done to succeed.  With Blasters or ACs, it's a lot simpler.  Just approach, fire burners, light up guns when you are in range and hope for the best.

Amarr also sport an unorthodox ship in the form of the Arbitrator, which is rated as excellent.  But it's a nimble drone/electronic warfare ship..

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306
    I do agree with the concensus that when you see a tread or a snip from a forum post about people being of one race or another, they are usually talking in terms or armaments/ships that are associated with that race. The only difference in choosing your pilot's race (other than different starting attributes and skills) is that of role playing. All 4 playable races have extremely rich and conflict ridden backstories which explains alot of the hostilities that go around in EVE online.

Check it out at : EVE Online Races Backstories

Amarr are the most populast race whom culturaly value their faith and strength in their emperors. They are also reknown slavers, most notably of the Minmatar race which is seeking freedom from yours truely. There used to be a very heavy incline towards this race in the early days of EVE as well since they're ships used to have most amount of turret hardpoints (since only about 4-5 of their ships actualy have launcher points) but with recent technological discoveries and blueprint releases by corporations, industrial based players have turned away from these ships, not needing them to fuel their mining needs and as for combat, lasers are classed as "mid-ranged" weaponry, which means, they don't shoot the furthest, they don't do the most damage and require the most skill to use since you must keep an eye on your capacitor at all times to make sure you don't kill yourself.

Would stay away from this race's weaponry/ships unless you enjoy role-playing or a REAL challenge in pvp'ing since they tend to do extremely well at dog-fighting when the pilot has a clue what he is doing.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• NyphurNyphur Member Posts: 74

The
    only actual problem with Amarr is that ECM is entirely too good atm,
    but thats not a specifically amarr problem, and ECM is getting nerfed
    somewhat.

If you think that laser damage types are a problem,
    youre wrong. If you think lasers dont do enough damage, youre wrong.
    There are a few ships (maller, retribution, crusader/malediction, sac)
    which could use some love, but all races have a few ships which could
    use some love.

The problem which most people have with balance
    is that theyre not very good at EVE, and when they fight people who are
    good at EVE, they lose. BOY THATS A SHIP BALANCE PROBLEM RIGHT THERE.

Also
    Energised Adaptive nano membranes are making lasers less effective. In
    PVP, people used to fit armour hardeners to everything but EM (since
    armour has a naturally high EM resistance), but since it became better
    to fit EANMs to cover all four resistances at once, people ended up
    getting about the same resistances as before but with a free boost to
    EM resistance. And since most shield tankers harden well against EM or
    fit an EM hardener and some invulnerability fields, lasers (especially
    with long range ammo that deals mostly EM) are heavilly resisted
    against in PvP.

EANMs are being rebalanced soon. I don't say nerf because it's not a
    nerf, they're simply too powerful. The laser's damage types themselves
    are not a big problem, the issue is that people are well resisted to
    them - even without EANMs, any shield tanker will have at least 50%
    resistance and any armour tanker starts with 60%. It's no wonder that a
    lot of amarr ships work better with projectiles, not only for the lower
    energy usage making them better tanks but also some amarr ships deal
    more damage in pvp with projectiles than with lasers because EM
    resistance is above average in most pvp setups.

A little less cap usage and a little more damage wouldn't hurt but
    having used lasers before, I can definitely say they are not even close
    to as bad as some people make out.

Insert signature that doesn't break the rules here

• GunnyFisherGunnyFisher Member Posts: 65
    50% em resist for shield tankers? Only on caldari gunboats. shield tanking effectively is a 5 slot arrangement, 2 invuln fields, a shield boost amp, a shield booster, and a cap injector. that leaves one slot for either  an em hardener, a propulsion mod, or a ew mod, like a dampener, ecm, target painter (nice for the missile ships) or scrambler.

Fact of the matter is that while there are lots of 7 low ships, there is exactly 1 ship that has more than 6 mids. Scorpions lose both bonuses if they shield tank anyway.

Amarr rape shield tankers. period.

the DPS of an apoc turret for turret compared to a mega is about the same.  how they arive at that number is different. 425 mm's need a 25% damage bonus, tach's need a 50% cap use bonus.

Saying that ean II's are the problem is like saying that invulns kill sniping tempest, becuase they are limited to kin/expl for tech II ammo, which can get very very high on a high skill caldari gunboat.

Have faith in God, believe in antimatter.

• MrChrichtonMrChrichton Member Posts: 1

To the OP

I fly nothing but Amarr ships. For that reason I would like to see a few changes to some of there ships but I am totally biased. Tactics and knowledge are what EVE is all about. Every race, ship, and tactic has a counter for a paticular set up. Just because Amarr cant solo every other race atm people complain. When about a year ago nearly every battleship in a fleet was Amarr.

EVE has this thing of Flavor of the Month. After certain patches certain Ships/Races get better than others cause game devolpers are always trying to ballance the game. Its part of the growth of the game and I just wish people would stop whining so much. It's a cycle and it will come back around.

Log on, do the tutorial, spend your trial just learning as much as you can. Fly a few ships. Decide what races ships you want to fly and stick with it. Dont get lost training so many ship types that your a jack of all trades and a master of none.