Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to AO

Hi,

Just a quick question: Are there any similar mmorpg's to AO out there, which are just as good?

Anarchy Online was my first mmorpg, and to be honest it really got me hooked on these types of games. I started as a fr00b, but got tired of being denied the good items, which came with the expansions. But the graphics were too crappy, that I actually wanted to invest my money in it.

So I tried out WoW, and have been playing it for about a year now. But to be honest I still miss AO. There was something about the atmosphere and the people in the game, which I haven't quite found in WoW. Furthermore I am more of a sci-fi fan than a fantasy fan.

I have tried to return to AO, but the incredibly bad graphics just makes my eyes bleed.  So... are there any similar mmorpg's out there, with up-to-date graphics, which can be compared to AO?

I thank you for any suggestions.

Best regards,
Groundrunner.

Comments

• nynnivanynniva Member UncommonPosts: 235

I have been looking for something that compares to what AO had, for a long long time. Haven't found it yet really =/ Everything else just seems to be lacking. I'm still hopeful, but most of the 'newer' games of the genre are pretty dumbed-down and easy by comparison- I've yet to find anything with AO's complexity.

Gaming? That's not gaming!
    That's just people sat 'round in costumes drinking...

• GroundrunnerGroundrunner Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply.

I know exactly what you mean. To me, part of AO's charme was the complexity of the game. I played it for a good 9 months, and still learned new stuff.

I have only tried WoW and AO. And I can say, that even though I'm in a fun guild (WoW), with people I like, the community as a whole was better in AO. Filled with people who loved to help out newcomers. At least that was the case when I joined AO about 2 years ago.
    And because it was so complex, I also enjoyed spending time at the starting location in Borealis, waiting for people who seemed confused, offering help. It was a rewarding experience.

Last but certainly not least I enjoyed GSP (Gridstream Productions). They were the only reason I played for the last 2 months or so.

What I like in WoW in comparison to AO is definetly the crafting - even though it is somewhat simple. And of course the graphics, which might be cartoonish, but still up-to-date. And I hate to say it, but the graphics of a game still has a major influence on how good I think the game is, and how much I want to play it.

Sorry for the long post - I just hope someone else might have experienced the same. If someone has found a mmorpg which can compare to AO, please post here image

• bmjames80bmjames80 Member Posts: 49
    Give Neocron 2 a try, ive been told its got simularities to AO. 

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Originally posted by bmjames80
    Give Neocron 2 a try, ive been told its got simularities to AO. 

only problem with neocron2 is that around 20 to 25 peoples play it at prime no joke, made the mistake of trying it again la few days ago and every time i log on i only see a few random high lv players .

i played ao for a long time and nothing really duplicate it's dept or feel .

• theomega5000theomega5000 Member Posts: 22
    Neocron 2 for the most part replicates AO. They both came around near
    the same time. AO typically steals more of your time with the massive
    level grind but, if you got fully capped in NC, and explored all the
    terrain, Neocron is just as in depth as AO minus the complicated
    systems.

AO=NC basically

No other games have been like these two came out in 2001/2002. No other
    games probably will repeat. Sad part is both are dieing, and need to be
    promoted badly to have a chance to become big again...

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by theomega5000
    Neocron 2 for the most part replicates AO. They both came around near
    the same time. AO typically steals more of your time with the massive
    level grind but, if you got fully capped in NC, and explored all the
    terrain, Neocron is just as in depth as AO minus the complicated
    systems.AO=NC basicallyNo other games have been like these two came out in 2001/2002. No other
    games probably will repeat. Sad part is both are dieing, and need to be
    promoted badly to have a chance to become big again...

AO=NC? What a joke. Ao is light years above and beyond Neocron2. And yes, I have played both. NC is not even on the same level as AO. I'm sorry. I'm glad you enjoy AO and can apparently find something in NC2 that 99% of the rest of the gaming population can't. Not that it would matter, because the NC2 servers are a buggy ass joke and would crash if they had even 1/3 of the playerbase from AO.