Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark and Light: MMORPG.com Review

Dark & Light launched recently and now we have our review. It used to be the most hyped game on our list, but in late beta fell out of favor in grand scale. Find out what we thought of the game.

image The game is relative hard, especially in the beginning. The first few levels you can only kill things of your own level. The problem is that level one mobs are mixed in with level five mobs that will kill you if you are not careful. Generally, mobs are placed in groups of up to 20 or more which makes solo hunting very difficult at first. Once you are past citizen level (10), a well-equipped character can kill creatures twice his level. The difficulty of the mobs themselves is very diverse as well. One level 10 mob might be easy to kill while another level 10 might be almost impossible to kill. This can be either good or bad, depending on how you look at it. On one hand, there is a sense of discovery. On the other hand, a hunting experience can be entirely unpredictable and have dire results.

The naming of monsters themselves is dull. There are cows of destruction, of blunt, of death, etc. It seems that the dev team ran out of inspiration when naming them.

You can read our review here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355

The review was not harsh enouph for that POS game. Just my opinion.

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606
    Garbage game throw it away  Just cancel it now guys... its over

• SupergohanSupergohan Member UncommonPosts: 54

it breaks my heart to see the game still hasnt changed that much from the early beta.
    i agree with every point given, except the support. cause that should be a - number. if you want support you gonna have to go to the players themself.

sound bit, could have been a 5 or music 8.5 and sfx 2

You aint much, if you aint Dutch
    www.mmozone.nl

• nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272

There are things in that review that made me want to try the game. But i played the engine they sent out..lets just say the sky had more lines and colours then a rainbow.

• approappro Member Posts: 3
    This could have been one of the all-time greats. But it was so poorly developed/deployed. Settlers of Ganareth (the beta/prequel) was a disaster. They were crazy to think people wouldn't judge DnL by the standard of SoG. Most of the fan base was lost there. It was a joke, and unfortunately DnL wasn't that much better. It's such a shame. I've never been so disappointed in a game. I logged in the other week, flew around for an hour and only saw one other player - and I was in so-called populated areas. Very sad.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by jybgess

The review was not harsh enouph for that POS game. Just my opinion.

Far too kind.  I believe MMORPG.com played it a little too politic with this review.  As a service to the folks that visit the MMORPG.com website seeking realistic information about DnL, this review should have painted a more realistic picture of this "train wreck" of a game. 

I am a regular visitor to the official DnL forums, where the vast majority of the posts by the current player base are far more negative than this review.  It's one thing to try and be even-handed in a review.  But this is a situation where calling a spade a spade is justified.  With a score of 4.0 (which I think is very fair) the review itself should have been harsher in tone. 

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Seems this review was done before the last patch. They removed the 25 FPS cap.

The Multi-threading realy does improve things alot also.

*Disclamer - I am a fan of the TECH not nessarly the game.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• DelzoDelzo Member UncommonPosts: 143

Originally posted by indiramourn

Far too kind.  I believe MMORPG.com played it a little too politic with this review.

While I agree a 4 may be a bit high, I was worried that politics would play a larger role here than it did. I think they did a good job without seeming to be too negatively biased which would remove the appearance of objectivity.

A 4 gets the point across that this is a game that should be avoided until it becomes a complete game, which might never happen due to finances. The best we can hope for is a buyout by another company but then again, we all saw how that went for Horizons.

• Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Supergohan
    it breaks my heart to see the game still hasnt changed that much from the early beta.i agree with every point given, except the support. cause that should be a - number. if you want support you gonna have to go to the players themself.

Isn't that the truth...started with SoG....where I along with several others volunteered to help with support of SoG (remember DSH in IRC chat?)...little did we realise we were really the only support that game offered...when we left, support was just no longer there. I know we weren't liked by part of the community...but we helped a great number of people get into and try the game. Perhaps we shouldn't have bothered...would have caused the downfall of this game a lot quicker.

They promised so much and delivered so little...I'm surprised this game hasn't been cancelled yet...at this point the lack of players by itself is the one thing that is driving this game into the ground. Now that AD is pulling back on their support of events....no doubt that will quicken the downfall of this game.

Bottom line is...this game has set a new standard about how NOT to run a MMORPG.

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
      LOL D&L should have greased the wheels with mmorpg.com like EVE and GuildWars, would have gotten a 9 overall

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Gorukha
      LOL D&L should have greased the wheels with mmorpg.com like EVE and GuildWars, would have gotten a 9 overall
    ::::05::

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217
    Christ could there be anymore spelling mistakes? Why can't someone like Dana Massey do the review? Ffs..

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• SteveophSteveoph Member Posts: 2

Yea DnL let us down, plain and simple. And I remember DSH Thor , and I still remember the 10 000 beta keys going in 90s . Talk about hype . Good to know the game is still broken, although I don't think I was gonna go was anyways.

Annihalation [SoF]

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    I think the review was too soft. The game is broke and unreliable. When looking at the screenies that were with the review, I wondered when they were taken, especially the event - I have not seen more than 10 people at an event in a long time. Plus people were asking how to use their dragon. Only Pioneers got those, and they would all know how to use them.  DnL is a failure, and a 4 rating was too high in my book, and the review was too soft. Read the DnL forums, count the number of people posting, and you will see that such a small number of people still play. I was an avid fan, but the dev's don't deliver and it's not worth the trouble to try and play such a lame game.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Originally posted by Vyce
    When looking at the screenies that were with the review, I wondered when they were taken

Those were just archive images, likely from way back.

Also... regarding the score: if you got 40% on a history test, you'd probably not be happy. The same applies here.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• IvannatinkleIvannatinkle Member Posts: 109
    Quote: "The game in its current state is broken, full of bugs and does not have half of what was promised."

I'd say the review was pretty damn accurate. He showed no bias and put the main point in writing. And Gorukha, that statement was not funny or accurate.

Wow, what did I miss?

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth
    Seems this review was done before the last patch. They removed the 25 FPS cap.

The Multi-threading realy does improve things alot also.

The latest patch did a lot more damage than it did good.  Isn't that obvious?  Or have you been avoiding the official forums?  The only reason the DnL servers are still up at all are for the few suckers who are tricked into buying the game (which is the soul purpose of the recently released "demo") and to beta test patches on a hold-on group of masochistic diehards who--like yourself--refuse to see the writing on the wall. 
  • AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

From the Home Page
    It earned our lowest score ever.

That's all I needed to see.

• GrumpybearGrumpybear Member Posts: 47
    I wonder how the people who paid lots of money for pioneer keys on ebay feel right about now.  I think I remember one key going for over $500.

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

While I feel that mmorpg.com was overly generous, I also realise that I'm a jaded customer of DnL and mmorpg.com is a business like any other and I don't blame them for not stepping on anyones toes.(too hard!) I don't agree with some points of course but I can't feel bad about the overall review.

PS... And Mr.Bloodworth! You are a big loose fanboi that's second only to Ztyx,weg and puure or whatever. I remember you...but I won't say anything bad about you because everyone deserves an opinion. But if you can't be objective and list the flaws as well as the pluses of the last patch then don't say anything at all.

Indira! I'm your #1 fan!

PS...Lepidus, why do you have a dead/newborn monkey as your avatar? I associate monkeys with DnL devs...LOL!

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• kinngkinng Member Posts: 6
    love difficult games :)
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    I find the review a little too soft, but from what I hear MMORPG staff expected this. Overall its ok, but could be more detailled. I would more explicitly warn not to buy this game atm in a review.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by nightbird305

There are things in that review that made me want to try the game. But i played the engine they sent out..lets just say the sky had more lines and colours then a rainbow.

I have done the Tour and from what i have seen the engine is pretty good and have not really notice the thing about the sky having so much colour, for me the sky was on of the things that truly looked realistic, especialy when i took the flight with the Dragon and we moved thru clouds wich was a nice effect, but other then that i fully agree with the topic post, i also stated on their website they should have waited before release and make the game complete,i also am of mind that the game could have been beter in its current state if advertising of the game was done in honosty instead of kinda lying to the public about it. The way it was advertised made us gamers have high hopes wich resulted in disappointments.

I still believe the game has potentiol but not in its current state.....

That brings up an interesting, and valid, point. Which other games are AD involved with?