Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post pulled from SOE SWG gameplay discussion tonight, 9/30

akevvakevv Member Posts: 208
Shadow9246
Community Member

Reply 1 of 21

Viewed 285 times

Now I know you're going to delete this, but atleast read it first. I feel like im beating a dead horse in posting this but here goes! PLEASE READ IT!

I don't see how it's possible to like the NGE. It's way too simple... and it's exactly like WoW. How trying to get more members to play a fun and unique game turns into making a cheap version of a game that a bunch of kids play makes sense i don't know. We all know that pre-cu swg took a little time to learn, but even learning was fun. I enjoyed wandering around the desert for a week with my noob rifle! Now people can know exactly how to play SWG before they even install it because it's just not unique at all anymore. Here are the reasons why people don't like the NGE.

1) You never really told the community about it. one day it was just BAM! NGE and there was nothing we could do about it. There was never really a public test center for people to test it out. I guarentee that if there was a public test the NGE would have never went live.

2) You claim it is "Starwarsy and Iconic". SWG now is anything but "Starwarsy and Iconic". Slapping a picture of Luke Skywalker on the respec screen doesn't make it Starwarsy or Iconic. Who could disagree that beating on a giant scorpion (Sher Kar) for 45 minutes is Starwarsy and Iconic. I mean remember in episode III when anikan did it? In the movies everyone was a jedi too remember? Remember all the lightsbaers? Now its rare to see a non jedi!

3) Like I said above it's just a copy of WoW, but alot cheaper.
  A) Expertise = WoW talent system exactly, but cheaper because it only has 2 trees!
  B) Jumping, it's only a minor thing they added but its still cheap. It looks like it took them a whole 20 seconds to put it in. Atleast in WoW jumping helps u get around in some instances, and it doesn't look cheap!
 C) Purple XP numbers above your head when you kill creatures. You couldn't even get a different color then wow eh? It's also hard to see half the time you can't even tell how much xp your getting.
  D) If you add reverse engineering it will be exactly like enchanting on WoW.
  E) Theres only 9 simple proffesions just like WoW with there 7 (I think maybe give or take one).
  F) The ridiculasly stupid looking icons in the game now look like WoWs icons.
  G) Any good weapon is now found in instances!

4) I don't know how else to put this, the interface sucks! It's too hard to tell what your doing with it in combat now. The silver borders annoy me, and i have heard other people complain about them too I don't know what it is about them.

5) All the old animations people loved to see when they fought that made the game fun to watch are gone. Now it's stictly *Poke Poke, Jab Jab, Poke Deathblow*

6) PvP and duels take 15 seconds now *Poke Poke, Jab, Poke* you can't tell what you're clicking because there's no time to think, and then somebody falls. Those old pre-cu duels were great, they were way more entertaining. You actually had time to think and stratigize. Now its the person who gets the first hit that wins the fight.

7) Crafting... It's a mess. Nothing crafters make now is any good. You need a melee weapon? Have a blasterfist! Ranged Weapon? Guardian Lightning Cannon! Theres no decay either so once you buy a suit of armor you're good forever, you don't need to buy a new set and give crafters money. There basically is no economy in SWG anymore.

8) Entertainers have absolutly no purpose. Why waste 5 minutes getting your cloning sickness healed by an entertainer when you can pay the droid 5k?

9) 32 proffessions that offered hundreds of unique templates are gone. Before you could be a damn scout, entertainer, brawler, teras kasi, dancer if you wanted too! Now you can pick 1 proffesion just one. The expertise system really doesn't add much uniqueness between characters either. You can mess around with jedi expertise all you want and it comes down to hmm do i want force choak or lightning? Well lightning looks cooler and they are both the same thing so i'll pick that!!!! Theres some major uniqueness there! In the pre-cu some of the proffessions weren't good at fighting... that didn't mean that they weren't fun to play. In the pre-cu there was many things to do, but all that stuff was removed in the NGE anyways.

10) Wounds and Battle Fatigue. I never thought I would miss this when i played pre-cu but i do. It forced you to interact with other players... now the game is practically single player.

11) XPing. Now you are forced to exploit a quest and spend all day between Jabba's Palace and The Warren to get levels. There really is no alternatives. I mean you could go fight all the extremly nerfed creatures that serve practically no purpose in the game anymore that die in one hit and give u 5 xp a kill. Getting to level 90 also takes forever.

12) There just simply isn't anything to do anymore! Once you get level 90 u can stand in restuss and watch 5 afk people stand there all day! Sounds like fun to me!

13) Elder Jedis and the all the people who were a week or two away from getting jedi got completly screwed. Here have a robe that gives u a very slight edge over the people who didn't have to spend 18 weeks of there time grinding jedi! For you people a few weeks away, you grinded most of that and didn't even get a robe!

14) Where's my mind bar? A whole bar gone? wow.... Or if your a jedi, Wheres my force bar?

15) In pre-cu you could attack different areas of a person like there legs to do action damage. That was extremly unique and gave many different strategies on how to attack someone.

16) Walk around in Theed or Restuss now on a friday night, and you see 5 people. Walk around in the middle of yavin 4 on a monday morning pre-cu and find more people, and in Theed or Coronet you could barely see there was so many people.

17) The targeting system. It's too complicated too target people and attack them. Even when u lock on to them you have to press 2 buttons to do it one to initiate the lock on feature and the other to auto attack. Also anything you put your mouse over seems to gets targeted and you have to press esc to untarget it.

18) SOE says they listen, but they don't. A bussiness is supposed to listen to there customers to provide them a better product. We all know that if SOE actually did this they would have more then 100 people on at peak playing times. It's not what you want SOE it's what your customers want! Im possitive that if any Devs actually played the NGE they would be horrified.

19) You know that the pre-cu was good considering that there are people devoting months of there time to make an emulator for it! You also know it was good considering that its been way over a year and we are still protesting to get it back! I really want to know how many people SOE banned from the forums for speaking out against the NGE.

For now this is all i am going to post. I know this is going to get deleted because SOE says they listen, but they don't. Anyone who disagrees or tries to improve there ruined game gets banned or has there posts deleted. I would really like to see what a dev has to say about this post!

Akevv Ostone
No Longer SWG Free :(

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Wrong forum...

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002

Originally posted by Obraik
    Wrong forum...

It's talking about the current version of the game. How is that not "current"?
  • wolfsaberwolfsaber Member Posts: 29

i know every one heared this or seen it for them selfs that was here since pre cu.. i joined in swg 1 yr befor this NGE ever started an was shocked of how it was back then i an most of every one that was there busted there area's off to become a jedi or what ever there hart desided to be... but now that they made it crapy where you can be jedi at start is just bull.. i did not become a jedi back in pre cu knowing it was alot of hard work an effort to compleat ya some said it was 8 months to a year to do... but that was the fun part

• akevvakevv Member Posts: 208

Already deleted, poor fellow :(

In any case, yes this is stil the state of the game. There are still dozens of posts per day asking about Pre-NGE. The playerbase had their game stolen and it is not going to go away. Folks are still mad, even nearly a year later. I personally play the NGE because I cannot let go of all of the time I burned in the game. I would welcome a previous version in an instant, even if it meant starting from scratch. This is how a GREAT DEAL of the CURRENT playerbase feels. We are just waiting for SOE to come to its senses. The one year mark is not too far away. Any artificial deadline stated in a contract would not survive beyond a year. I look forward to the events that unfold after 11-15-2006...

Akevv Ostone

• UbermanUberman Member Posts: 340

Wrong forum...

Well, you heard it from Obraik.  Post it in "SWG Current" instead.  

• Apache_Apache_ Member Posts: 168

I watch the 'Official Boards' quite often, and I can say for certain that these kind of posts are far more common than people think.  But they are deleted extremely fast and/or the authors banned.  Sometimes permanantly from the boards.  Its a sad situation.

MMORPG.COM is supposed to do a new review on the NGE sometime soon.  I'd like to see them take a look at those boards, and monitor them for a week to see what the NGE current playerbase goes through and how they are actually treated by the forum mods over there.

• UbermanUberman Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by Apache_

I watch the 'Official Boards' quite often, and I can say for certain that these kind of posts are far more common than people think.  But they are deleted extremely fast and/or the authors banned.  Sometimes permanantly from the boards.  Its a sad situation.
    MMORPG.COM is supposed to do a new review on the NGE sometime soon.  I'd like to see them take a look at those boards, and monitor them for a week to see what the NGE current playerbase goes through and how they are actually treated by the forum mods over there.

Although I intend no slight to their reputation, one of the real problems with a site like MMORPG.com doing reviews of games is that they are somewhat dependent upon the good will of the same gaming companies whose products they are reviewing.  I'm not saying they completely sugar-coat all reviews, but it's certainly not a "Consumer Reports" situation where they are totally independent and can render a judgement solely on the merits of the product being evaluated.  In my opinion, punches are sometimes pulled, and the hard questions are not asked.

That's why it is so vital to get the (ex)player's feedback about the game's current state.  Admittedly, not everything posted on these SWG forums is unbiased or even sincere, but as a whole, the somewhat-educated consumer can see that there's reason to beware when you see a greater-than-3-to-1 activity ratio between the "Disgruntled" forum and the "Current" forum (numbers are 152:48 topics, and 3154:647 posts, in favor of the "Disgruntled" forum, at the time of this writing).

I, for one, think those numbers say something.

• akevvakevv Member Posts: 208
    It was originally posted in the current forum, but got moved here. Hohum....

Akevv Ostone

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    And the sub number just keeps on falling.

You know, the longer it goes that I am out of the game, the easier it is to stay away.  I just simply will not go back unless there are classic servers.  Period.  I have no interest at all in playing NGE anymore.

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Originally posted by Wildcat84
    And the sub number just keeps on falling.

You know, the longer it goes that I am out of the game, the easier it is to stay away.  I just simply will not go back unless there are classic servers.  Period.  I have no interest at all in playing NGE anymore.

Anymore?

That implies you liked NGE at some point.
    No, I never liked it.  I tolerated it because of the people I was playing with.

• royalpenaltyroyalpenalty Member Posts: 312

Wrong forum...

the OP speaks undeniable truth....

and yes, Obraik, you are in the wrong forum, now piss off.

SWG ADDICT...clean since the NGE

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Originally posted by Bissrok

Wrong forum...

In freaking deed.

See this is a honest and current thought on the game... period.

This is where this is getting a bit SOEish now.

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Originally posted by Apache_

I almost feel sorry for them having to do so.   It will be looked at and pulled apart so badly that there is almost no way to give it a fair review.

In fact, I think that maybe 3 or 4 people should do the review that played the game and did not to give it a good one.

Vets and necomers see this in two different ways.   If the newcomer has NO IDEA what it was or could have been then maybe he can see somthing we cannot.

Who knows... but , in a way they need to find someone that never heard of the game on the streets lol...

No forum, no people, no reviews.. in fact hope he has not ever heard of it at all.  lol

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    "I almost feel sorry for them having to do so.   It will be looked at and pulled apart so badly that there is almost no way to give it a fair review.

In fact, I think that maybe 3 or 4 people should do the review that played the game and did not to give it a good one.

Vets and necomers see this in two different ways.   If the newcomer has NO IDEA what it was or could have been then maybe he can see somthing we cannot.

Who knows... but , in a way they need to find someone that never heard of the game on the streets lol...

No forum, no people, no reviews.. in fact hope he has not ever heard of it at all.  lol"

Actually you really don't need to do that.  If you are supposed to review the "NGE" you can do just that.  Because doing a review of the NGE doesn't require you to mention what was... or could have been.

I think you can quite honestly log into the game and see the amont of bugs and lack of "polish"  in the live product.  The lag on servers that are in fact quite empty.

I think it would be quite easy to log into the game ignore everything that was... and talk about what is wrong with the current game.

The only mention of "what was" that needs to be made would be:

How long the game has been live

The state of the game after that amount of time compared to other MMO's (this being lag, bugs, broken quests, quality of service etc)

Logging onto various servers shows what kind of population (aka if I buy the game can expect to find groups.. if only on a few servers... which ones).

"We" don't review the NGE.. we compare it to what we knew.

I just think you could review the NGE and crap on it pretty well without mentioning Pre-CU or CU at all.

Just compare it to other games that have been on the market the same amount of time... I think that provides a pretty clear picture of how the NGE worked out.

I believe there are other MMO's currently out that actually have less players world wide.  However, when I say that I would also say those games are far more of a complete game than SWG currently is.

Anyway... I don't think it really would be that hard to write an objective review based on only the NGE.  The issue is that compared to almost any other MMO... it just doesn't... compare at this time.

If you did mention pre-cu I think it would be to talk about a far more polished product.. that only needed to have some bugs fixed and a few balance issues addressed. 

That to me is the biggest issue with the NGE as a game for a new player.  Its multiple years old and feels like a beta...

I can sum up what an honest re-review of NGE would and should say:

In the last 10 months the NGE has improved somewhat, in that some professions now have some skill choices and that combat is once again "turn based", but it still lacks depth and freedom.  More than half of the professions still do not have expertise choices and nothing has been done to bring crafters and entertainers into relevancy.  The NGE has taken a few steps forward but overall the game today is still several giant steps back from what it was before the NGE.

Rating: 3/10

• DestmafhDestmafh Member Posts: 32
    I  will allways miss pre cu the deepness on the gameplay was great and very adictive now i still play the nge and can have fun but no were near the fun of pre cu times i miss the village the animations the large populations  player interraction  skill tree  well basically miss evry thing pre cu

Originally posted by Destmafh
    I  will allways miss pre cu the deepness on the gameplay was great and very adictive now i still play the nge and can have fun but no were near the fun of pre cu times i miss the village the animations the large populations  player interraction  skill tree  well basically miss evry thing pre cu

Sooner or later, you will, as I did, finally say that remembering how great the game once was is not sufficient reason to keep playing when you don't like the NGE.

That's why the sub number will continue to fall so long as NGE is the only option.

• GorairGorair Member Posts: 959

why isnt this in currernt? its a damn direct copy of a post form SOE"s board?

how can that NOT be current?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• ShadowLordsShadowLords Member Posts: 186

Wrong forum...

No it isn't in the wrong forum. I quote from Stradden: " I hope that by providing these two seperate forums, these two distinct aspects and points of view on this game can both be heard so that everyone who has a voice, can be heard."

This is an anti NGE / anti $OE article. it is in the right place. The article speaks volumes of truth.

• GorairGorair Member Posts: 959

Originally posted by ShadowLords

Wrong forum...

No it isn't in the wrong forum. I quote from Stradden: " I hope that by providing these two seperate forums, these two distinct aspects and points of view on this game can both be heard so that everyone who has a voice, can be heard."

This is an anti NGE / anti $OE article. it is in the right place. The article speaks volumes of truth.

Then shouldnt the current forums description be changed to say only positive posts here nothnig negative is allowed? The current forum isnt described as the ass kissing channel

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Gorair

Originally posted by ShadowLords
    Originally posted by Obraik Wrong forum...

Then shouldnt the current forums description be changed to say only positive posts here nothnig negative is allowed? The current forum isnt described as the ass kissing channel

No because the OP put his post in the wrong forums. It's about current gameplay.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Bissrok

Originally posted by ObraikWrong forum...

Was this thread moved from current gameplay forum then?

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Yes it was moved as the poster added 5 post later.  This bothers me, this is a discussion of the current state of the game.  Its a current post from Sony's own forums but it can't stay in the current because why?  Simple it tells the truth and the truth is cold and negative but its the truth none the less.  I feel a bias creeping into MMORPG.com, they can do as they wish but its clear that they want to keep the Sony adverts coming in at whatever cost.  This is as current as it gets a post as of 9/30 on the Sony forums that was then deleted and censored, and now its been moved again on the mmorpg.com site because it might upset someone.  I read the rules on the current/refuge thing and this most definitely belongs in current.  Very sad indeed....

Originally posted by treysmooth

Yes it was moved as the poster added 5 post later.  This bothers me, this is a discussion of the current state of the game.  Its a current post from Sony's own forums but it can't stay in the current because why?  Simple it tells the truth and the truth is cold and negative but its the truth none the less.  I feel a bias creeping into MMORPG.com, they can do as they wish but its clear that they want to keep the Sony adverts coming in at whatever cost.  This is as current as it gets a post as of 9/30 on the Sony forums that was then deleted and censored, and now its been moved again on the mmorpg.com site because it might upset someone.  I read the rules on the current/refuge thing and this most definitely belongs in current.  Very sad indeed....

I think the staff made a bad judgement call on this one then. It belonged in current gameplay to me. This is the inherent problem with the division of the SWG forums. The gray area's are now starting to show their ugly faces.

- Scaris