Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to SWG or new to the game? Read Me! *updated*

ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Now that we have a forum for this sorta stuff, I thought I’d post this to cut down on some of the PM’s and Xfire messages (not that I mind them, but I’m not on all the time :P).  Anyway, if you’re returning to SWG here’s some things to do before you resub and ways you can change the interface to make it more familiar as well as some guides for those new to the game in general.

For the Vets

Before you resubscribe, if you cancelled your account was cancelled before the NGE went live (15/11/05) then you have a free 14 day trial available that will let you login to the game as if you were subscribed to the game...but for free.  All you need to do is install the game from your original CD’s and then login to Launchpad.  In addition, JTL is now free and everyone gets it, so if you didn’t have it before you do now.

It’s also possible to make the keymap and interface somewhat similar to what it was before the NGE.  Firstly, follow the guide here to get the core keymapping the same as it was, along with modeless chat. 

Using a mod, you can also bring back the appearance of the pre-nge interface too and remove all the artwork around the UI.  Go here to download it.  Click the SWG Mods section then click the "Pre-NGE UI Mod" section.  Once you download it, check the ZIP file.  The current version contains a ZIP file within the ZIP file you downloaded.  Extract the ZIP file you find within the downloaded one into your main SWG folder. NOTE: With each new Chapter you will most likely need to update the mod to be compatible with any new UI changes, so return to this page to check otherwise the game will crash upon login if you don’t.

The SWG also now has auto-aim and auto-fire returned, so if you don’t like the twitch based combat then here’s my recommendations on how to make it work as close as it did pre-nge:

1.       Open the Options menu,

2.       Click the Controls button, scroll to the bottom of the list and untick “Offset Camera”

3.       Click Keymap and then click the Target tab.

4.       Set Toggle Auto-Aim to a key command of your choice

5.       Set Toggle Repeat Auto-Attack to a key command of your choice

6.       Go to the UI tab

7.       Change “Select target and summon radial menu”  to the right mouse button

8.       At the bottom of the keymap window, tick “Actions can be fired from the toolbar”

9.       Click Done

Now, press the key combo that you assigned to turn on Auto-Aim, you will only need to do this once and it stays on until you turn it off (logging out does not turn it off either).  By default, if nothing is targeted (green brackets around something means it’s targeted) clicking it will target it and double clicking will target it and start up auto-attacking.  You’ll only need to use the key combo you assigned in step 3 if there’s something in the way of what you’re wanting to start auto-attacking so you can’t double click it.  Everyone has their own way of doing things, so change the keymapping as is convenient for you

Important additions since the NGE

Double toolbar: To turn this on, go to Options and then Interface and tick the box for it.  You will need to setup keymapping for the second row by clicking Keymap, the UI tab and then assigning shortcuts to the second bar options.

Inventory dragging & dropping:  If you want to be able to drag stuff straight onto containers in you inventory without having to open it in a seperate window, go to Options, Interface and then tick the box for it.

Two button run: If you would like your character to run by holding down the left and right mouse button (allowing you to use your mouse to run without taking a button that could be used for something else) open the Options window, go to Keymapping and the bottom of the window in the list of check boxes tick the corresponding box.

*NEW* 8/7/08 - For a look at the additions that's been made to the game since the NGE, take a look at this thread by Distiler

For those new to SWG and/or the NGE

Alot of useful info on the game can be found hereA few highlights from this page are:

The Profession guide

Creating your Character

Expertise Overview

Jedi Expertise

Bounty Hunter Expertise

For quest walkthroughs and other various player made guides, go here

-----

Just some of the stuff I thought of, feel free to add on to it, or correct something I've gotten wrong :) 

Comments

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

You rock.

Although I usually set Tab to scroll throough my targets so it's standard MMO style and use F to turn on auto attack.

I use the spacebar to pull the radial menu because it just makes life so much easier.

Also if you set your mouse to select whatever you left click be aware that you will no longer be able to interact with the enviroment from a left click. You will have to use the keyboard to use everything.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Fadeus

You rock.
    Although I usually set Tab to scroll throough my targets so it's standard MMO style and use F to turn on auto attack.
    I use the spacebar to pull the radial menu because it just makes life so much easier.
    Also if you set your mouse to select whatever you left click be aware that you will no longer be able to interact with the enviroment from a left click. You will have to use the keyboard to use everything.

Yeah, it's best you leave the left mouse button as Primary attack and action, otherwise you have that problem and double clicking to auto-attack won't work either (I don't think).

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Should we post all the current info and news about the game here from the press though?

I'm wondering if we should..

I mean this is important info for a person coming back and wanting to know the status of the game and info about it.

Hmm?

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275

LOL @ having to mod a game to make it playable.

Former SWG beta tester and player

• anaicanaic Member Posts: 409

Originally posted by Reachwind

Well that depends on what you define as "playable".
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by anaic

Well that depends on what you define as "playable".

Not needing to be Moded?

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• AnkorAnkor Member Posts: 258

Good post.

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883

It doesn't NEED to be modded, it is a players choice. Also, I have my keys set at:

Auto-Aim Activated: default (Y)

Radial Menu: Q

Select Target: R Mouse

Auto Attack: L Mouse

Primary Action: Space ( as I don't really use "jump"::::02::)

Secondary Attack: E

Use fire specials from keyboard

This way it's r click select, l click auto-fire...no primary fire needed. Two clicks, 1r/1l, makes hunting mobs quick and painless::::20::

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Zorvan

It doesn't NEED to be modded, it is a players choice. Also, I have my keys set at:
    Auto-Aim Activated: default (Y)
    Radial Menu: Q
    Select Target: R Mouse
    Auto Attack: L Mouse
    Primary Action: Space ( as I don't really use "jump"::::02::)
    Secondary Attack: E
    Use fire specials from keyboard
    This way it's r click select, l click auto-fire...no primary fire needed. Two clicks, 1r/1l, makes hunting mobs quick and painless::::20::

Not trying to start a flame here...

But i bet if we did a poll, about 80% of the player base is using the
    "Pre-CU/CU" UI mod.

So much so, SOE is putting back the functionality they took away. (Not flame
    bait or anything like that...its fact, they just added back the dual hotbars....).

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883

I agree Mrbloodworth that alot of people use mods, but your statistics still leave 20% using the ingame ui, so I was only pointing out that it does not necessarily need to be modded to be used. And I am glad they are putting some of the old stuff back. I like not having to scroll through toolbars if I don't have to. Which is why I hold to my opinion that pre-cu and the current game can be merged to make one enjoyable by all::::20:: And I don't consider your post a /flame at all.

• Blue3000Blue3000 Member Posts: 238

I'm one of those old-timers from this once proud great game.

First, I see Obriak is still plugging this game which shouldn't even be called SWG as it's not even close to what the Galaxies of old was.

This isn't SWG. Judging from some of the things I read in the OP, this game is nothing like what we once knew. You see all the changes and all the crappy things that have been added and subtracted, what a shame.

I hadn't been here in these forums in a long while but now I see they added a forum for "Forner Disgruntled Players"  LOL omg, this is wild. I'm in the gaming world so I visit countless forums yet I've never seen a forum for disgruntled players as for this game. This should tell you a whole lot about this crappy game.

Plug on Obraik, this game needs all the help it can get.  Incredible!!!

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Blue3000

I'm one of those old-timers from this once proud great game.
    First, I see Obriak is still plugging this game which shouldn't even be called SWG as it's not even close to what the Galaxies of old was.
    This isn't SWG. Judging from some of the things I read in the OP, this game is nothing like what we once knew. You see all the changes and all the crappy things that have been added and subtracted, what a shame.
    I hadn't been here in these forums in a long while but now I see they added a forum for "Forner Disgruntled Players"  LOL omg, this is wild. I'm in the gaming world so I visit countless forums yet I've never seen a forum for disgruntled players as for this game. This should tell you a whole lot about this crappy game.
    Plug on Obraik, this game needs all the help it can get.  Incredible!!!

Heh, plugging the game?  Hardly.  Despite what you think of the game, people are interested in checking it out again or for the first time and I (and others here) often get PM's asking how to set up stuff like auto attack, or how expertise works, etc.  The purpose of this thread is to help those people with those types of questions and assumes they've done research in other threads and decided if the game is worth their time based on that information.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

First off nice thread. Second thanks for the rez's tonight we kick those reb's butts bad agian. Third Keep plugging the game for I would rather play a crappy star wars game more then anything else. Fourth flame away.

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

Yeah, well, Hyllstarter, I guess some people like yourself would rather pay (imagine that, actually paying) for the chance at playing a "crappy" less then mediocre game like the current one which has the audacity to continue to call itself "Starwars".
    The devs gambled and they lost, except for the few who still pay them, they have nothing but a shell of the original game. They bank on people like Obraik to plug and talk about the game to the young ones to keep some kind of game going. Why do you think slowly they've brought back a few of the old things they took off?
    This game isn't SW. It's a transparent imitation, a bad one at that.  They changed the entire game around, took it right from under the players and transformed it into exactly what you called it, "Crappy". 
    At least you got that right, "crappy" so for this I give you credit. I guess even it's current players also know what they're paying for.   All 100 of them except for Obraik of course,  he's a lost cause.
    Don't take it personal Obraik cause it's not meant as such. But it's true what you've always done and will continue to do. 
    I guess some people are easily, easily influenced and entertained. Pity.

The topic of this thread has nothing to do with anything that you are talking about. If you do not like the game and do not play it then so be it, please do not come in here with your whine about the game, we have all heard and seen it all before, you have offered nothing at all that has anything to do with the topic of discussion in this thread. You have offered nothing that is new or insightful or even respectable. Please do not come in here being disrespectful to other people because they play the game. If you wish to troll and whine and complain about the game then go and do it in your own thread in the proper forum, which would not be this forum. Bring it on down now.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

BlazinBlades, huh? And you're who?

Stop brown nosing, stand up get your head out of there and clean up son.  Jezzz, you'd think I said something about your momma the way you came here.  You going to get a heart attack kid.

Take your Prozac BB and relax, take a few deep breaths, there you go, feel better now?  Doubt it but give it a try.  Obraik doesn't get like this and he's always defending galaxies with former players saying things. And you come outta left field and you look like you're having some kind of anxiety attack.

Obviously you don't read the new forum for disgruntled players cause if you did, you'd really be stir crazy.

Chill!!!!

• RavenStJRavenStJ Member Posts: 309

better way to deal with changes

...... start , control panel,  ad remove programs..
    delete..

next cancel subscriipt

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

BlazinBlades, huh? And you're who?
    Stop brown nosing, stand up get your head out of there and clean up son.  Jezzz, you'd think I said something about your momma the way you came here.  You going to get a heart attack kid.
    Take your Prozac BB and relax, take a few deep breaths, there you go, feel better now?  Doubt it but give it a try.  Obraik doesn't get like this and he's always defending galaxies with former players saying things. And you come outta left field and you look like you're having some kind of anxiety attack.
    Obviously you don't read the new forum for disgruntled players cause if you did, you'd really be stir crazy.
    Chill!!!!

To answer your post Blue3000 would be pointless; it would only encourage some one like you to continue with your trolling ways. Move along Blue3000, nothing for you here, move along. Anyways, this thread is for players who have questions, as such, if any new player does have a question or needs help with anything feel free to post your question and we will be happy to help you out. Bring it on down now.

Oh and by the way, you ask BlazinBlades, huh? And you're who?” I am BlazinBlades, LEARN IT.

Stand back…. Bring it……. BRING IT……. Oh hell, stand back now…. Here it comes… here it comesssss…….BRING IT ON DOWN NOW.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

/GIANT YAWN!!!!!!!

'nuff said.

• TacolaTacola Member CommonPosts: 263

ROFL,  some people cant deal with the fact that people are coming back to SWG and that it is a good game now.  Most still have vindictive statements about the way the game was, while having not played the game in ages.  Please if you dont really know what you are talking about, dont waste everyones time and post mis-information about the game's state.  And if the truth hurts, maybe you need to give SWG a try and stop all the hating.  People are still so mad that you are looking thru blinders and cant see all that the new Devs have brought back to the game. 

The biggest thing for me in chapter 3 was the return of the combat chat tab and the DPS meter.  You can now actually see which combos work best, instead of just tring to read to fly by text.  In fact the whole UI looks and feels tighter now.  I like it alot more than before.   And I know the flamebois are coming with the "WHY BE SO HAPPY, ALL THEY DID WAS GIVE US SOMETHING BACK THEY TOOK AWAY".   And my reponse is, if they gave Pre-CU or even CU back would you be happy?   They are basically giving back CU functionality that they took away with the NGE and in some cases making it better than before, that is the truth.  And the more we get back the happier I will be.

I say all that left and miss the CU version of the game should try it now.  The biggest difference is in the Proffession or lack of.  I still feel for the CH, BE and etc..  And I do miss the fun we use to have with Rangers in group, "RANGER DOWN!!"  lol.  But the game in its current state could hardly be called NGE as describe last november. It is a better game now by leaps and bounds.  

I am looking forward to all the trees being finished (Winter 06/07) so they can start on more new content.

Returning to the game? Here is the real scoop on what you can expect;

The UI has been changed - Instead of a customizable player specific UI you now have a rigid gawdy in your face UI that people choose to overwrite with a mod.

The default keymap has changed and many of the options to change things to the way you are comfortable playing have been removed. There is still not an option to set your keymap to the old way provided by the game after nearly a year beig live. You are forced to rely on third party sites like this for the information on how to come close to what you originally had.

Class system vs skill system - When you originally played SWG it had a wonderful skill system that allowed you to build a character based on around your playstyle preferences. You could be a mix of crafter, entertainer, scout or combat depending upon how you saw your character being the most fun to play. This has been replaced by a rigid inflexible class system. You now choose a playstyle, for instance crafter, and you are not allowed to deviate from it without penalty. To switch from one profession to another you must either pay a sliding credit scale or drop your class progression to 0 and start over.

Levels vs skill and weapon based combat - In the original game your skill with your weapon and the stats of the weapon determined what type of damage and how often your character could hit an NPC or PC. Each NPC had its own unique set of skills and stats. Now the game is level based. Your damage, ability to hit and the damage you take are related to the level of the NPC or PC you wish to attack or that attacks you.

Down time - The game no longer has down time. Things like shuttle waits, wounds, battle fatigue have been removed for your ease of play. There is a "death sickness" you'll have to go to a terminal or entertainer to remove once you clone, but that is it.

Items - The best items are rewards from quests, found as loot on NPCs and the items you get from purchasing an expansion. To keep up with the other players in ability you must complete quests for items and kill certain camped NPCs to get the no trade item to put you on equal terms with the other player characters, also not purchasing the expansions results in certain important items being offlimits to you.

MCS - The game is no longer a single character per server game. You now get two characters per server unless you opened your extra character slot before the game was changed on 11/15/2005 in which case you now have three characters on that server.

Most importantly, SWG is no longer a virtual/SIM star wars world. It is now an action role playing game with star wars elements thrown in seemingly randomly. You'll find things from each of the six movies, other games and from the books and comic books completely out of any sense of continuity. There is no cycle of support/crafting/combat. The game is completely combatcentric now. They have left some of the support/crafting roles in the game, but make no mistake they are no longer needed. The classes are just there as fluff. Combat characters need no support and really have no need for any crafter from level 1 to 90 and beyond. Playability for the entertainer and trader (crafting) classes represents that fact perfectly.

Returning to the game? Here is the real scoop on what you can expect;The UI has been changed - Instead of a customizable player specific UI you now have a rigid gawdy in your face UI that people choose to overwrite with a mod.The default keymap has changed and many of the options to change things to the way you are comfortable playing have been removed. There is still not an option to set your keymap to the old way provided by the game after nearly a year beig live. You are forced to rely on third party sites like this for the information on how to come close to what you originally had.Class system vs skill system - When you originally played SWG it had a wonderful skill system that allowed you to build a character based on around your playstyle preferences. You could be a mix of crafter, entertainer, scout or combat depending upon how you saw your character being the most fun to play. This has been replaced by a rigid inflexible class system. You now choose a playstyle, for instance crafter, and you are not allowed to deviate from it without penalty. To switch from one profession to another you must either pay a sliding credit scale or drop your class progression to 0 and start over.Levels vs skill and weapon based combat - In the original game your skill with your weapon and the stats of the weapon determined what type of damage and how often your character could hit an NPC or PC. Each NPC had its own unique set of skills and stats. Now the game is level based. Your damage, ability to hit and the damage you take are related to the level of the NPC or PC you wish to attack or that attacks you.Down time - The game no longer has down time. Things like shuttle waits, wounds, battle fatigue have been removed for your ease of play. There is a "death sickness" you'll have to go to a terminal or entertainer to remove once you clone, but that is it.Items - The best items are rewards from quests, found as loot on NPCs and the items you get from purchasing an expansion. To keep up with the other players in ability you must complete quests for items and kill certain camped NPCs to get the no trade item to put you on equal terms with the other player characters, also not purchasing the expansions results in certain important items being offlimits to you.MCS - The game is no longer a single character per server game. You now get two characters per server unless you opened your extra character slot before the game was changed on 11/15/2005 in which case you now have three characters on that server.Most importantly, SWG is no longer a virtual/SIM star wars world. It is now an action role playing game with star wars elements thrown in seemingly randomly. You'll find things from each of the six movies, other games and from the books and comic books completely out of any sense of continuity. There is no cycle of support/crafting/combat. The game is completely combatcentric now. They have left some of the support/crafting roles in the game, but make no mistake they are no longer needed. The classes are just there as fluff. Combat characters need no support and really have no need for any crafter from level 1 to 90 and beyond. Playability for the entertainer and trader (crafting) classes represents that fact perfectly.

If you are going to state facts you should make sure they are fact first.

The inteface since last patch is now completely customizable. It has more functions then it has ever had before.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

The inteface since last patch is now completely customizable. It has more functions then it has ever had before.
    Oh, you can change the colors as well as the placement of all the items? Everything is sizable and movable?

I didn't see that patch note, could you show me please?

Oh, you can change the colors as well as the placement of all the items? Everything is sizable and movable?I didn't see that patch note, could you show me please?

Read them again...

- Scaris

Read them again...

Sorry, I still nothing about color options or about being able to move and resize all of the UI elements. I did see a note about radar improvements and being allowed to move the main menu button... Is that why you accused me of providning misinformation?

I wasn't referring to any singular element from the UI, I was speaking of EVERY element.

Originally posted by FadeusRead them again...
    Sorry, I still nothing about color options or about being able to move and resize all of the UI elements. I did see a note about radar improvements and being allowed to move the main menu button... Is that why you accused me of providning misinformation?I wasn't referring to any singular element from the UI, I was speaking of EVERY element.

You are stuck on color options? The radar now works better then ever, and is 2 peices instead of one and you are worried about if it's blue or pink?

And yes every element is resizeable now.

There is a damage meter now.

You can make the "start" button dissapear now until you mouse over it.

You can now have 10, 20 button hotbars.

So yes, you were providing wrong information. But keep worrying about if it's blue or pink and saving everyone from not having that choice.

- Scaris