Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: AGC: Webzen Interview

Jon Wood caught up with Jason Wonacott of Webzen America at AGC to chat about SUN, All Points Bulletin and other Webzen topics.

image While at the Austin Game Conference, I had a chance to catch up with Jason Wonacott the Director of Corporate Communications for Webzen America. The company currently has a number of games in various stages of production, including: Soul of the Ultimate Nation (which will be the first of their game to reach North American shelves), Huxley and the already highly anticipated All Points Bulletin.

As stated before Soul of the Ultimate Nation, or SUN as it has come to be known, will be the first game to launch from Webzen America and is due out sometime in the first half of 2007. The game is currently living out an open beta in Korea and according to Wonacott is “doing pretty well”, explaining that in the Korean market, a game in Beta is more like a launched game. SUN will open next in China and then finally in the North American market.

More is available here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• DullardDullard Member Posts: 26

"Jon Wood caught up with Jason Wonacott of Webzen America at AGC to chat
    about SUN, Huxley, All Points Bulletin and other Webzen topics."
    Did I miss the Huxley information?

A.P.B. seems like it could have a lot of potential, the simple act of breaking away from the overly-established fantasy genre will probably garner it enough attention to do well here in the states. Here's hoping.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440
    It sounds like alot of PR BS.  I think I heard the exact same lines said by Acclaim's PR guy about 9dragons.  Its too bad he didn't actually fully detail out what is exciting about Webzen's games.  They are definetly top of the line, especially if they were able to keep with thier old schedule.

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Webzen, to me, is no different than MMOCenter. They create something small, think they are amazing, and set way too many goals for themselves from it. When MMOCenter was announced, there was tons of hype... where are they now? in a gutter.

Same with all the buzz about Webzens games, they created controversy (with wiki) PCGamer coverage (huxley) and mass appeal, yet nothing has come out of it.

Vaporware and Overhyping trash games ftw!

PS
    If anyone has read about the channel system in SUN, it's just a Rakion clone. Woohoo for crappy MMO action games with no content ::::12::

• vipjerryvipjerry Member UncommonPosts: 157

Only original game im interested in is Huxley and there is no single word in this interview about it.

• b14tchb14tch Member Posts: 6

"For example, the game, as it stands now is being developed using both the point and click movement that is popular in Asian markets, as well as the WSAD movement that is commonplace in North American games. Wonacott said that this would be, “An American game that will feel familiar to North American MMORPG players.”

WSAD movement is common in North American games, yeah and to be honest, that the worst movement ever  for MMORPG. I have no idea he has come up that we all players love that movement. Point and click is the most easy way to play online game, and you could using other fingers for hotkey easily. I know some popular games using WSAD movement and it doesnt mean we love/familiar with that movement. Wasting time and money to develop both movement only for North American players.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by b14tch

"For example, the game, as it stands now is being developed using both the point and click movement that is popular in Asian markets, as well as the WSAD movement that is commonplace in North American games. Wonacott said that this would be, “An American game that will feel familiar to North American MMORPG players.”

WSAD movement is common in North American games, yeah and to be honest, that the worst movement ever  for MMORPG. I have no idea he has come up that we all players love that movement. Point and click is the most easy way to play online game, and you could using other fingers for hotkey easily. I know some popular games using WSAD movement and it doesnt mean we love/familiar with that movement. Wasting time and money to develop both movement only for North American players.

Personally I can't stand point and click, few games do it right and even then it feels incomplete (lineage 2 comes to mind.) I normally use the mouse to turn and the WS of the WASD to move forward and back, this makes for a faster response personally and so far the vast majority of MMOs allow for this (very helpful in PvP or tie movements in PvE.)

An MMO should give the player the option to configure how they want to
    control their avatar providing options for key-binding and point and click
    so the player can decide what feels more comfortable for them.

As for hte article I was hoping for information on Huxley but was disappointed not that I expect anything from an overseas game (played too many to expect anything more then flash without substance.)

-Unshra

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• boommer99boommer99 Member UncommonPosts: 309

Originally posted by Lepidus

Jon Wood caught up with Jason Wonacott of Webzen America at AGC to chat about SUN, All Points Bulletin and other Webzen topics.

While at the Austin Game Conference, I had a chance to catch up with Jason Wonacott the Director of Corporate Communications for Webzen America. The company currently has a number of games in various stages of production, including: Soul of the Ultimate Nation (which will be the first of their game to reach North American shelves), Huxley and the already highly anticipated All Points Bulletin.
    As stated before Soul of the Ultimate Nation, or SUN as it has come to be known, will be the first game to launch from Webzen America and is due out sometime in the first half of 2007. The game is currently living out an open beta in Korea and according to Wonacott is “doing pretty well”, explaining that in the Korean market, a game in Beta is more like a launched game. SUN will open next in China and then finally in the North American market.
    More is available here.

Ummm... I'd hate to contradict... but SUN is not the first game released in the US by Webzen.

www.muonline.com

That game is managed by an American company but... Webzen does all the patches and updates for it.

---
    Bartle Test Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 26.67%, Socializer 66.67%

• boommer99boommer99 Member UncommonPosts: 309

Originally posted by Unshra

Originally posted by b14tch

Personally I can't stand point and click, few games do it right and even then it feels incomplete (lineage 2 comes to mind.) I normally use the mouse to turn and the WS of the WASD to move forward and back, this makes for a faster response personally and so far the vast majority of MMOs allow for this (very helpful in PvP or tie movements in PvE.)

An MMO should give the player the option to configure how they want to control their avatar providing options for key-binding and point and click so the player can decide what feels more comfortable for them.

As for hte article I was hoping for information on Huxley but was disappointed not that I expect anything from an overseas game (played too many to expect anything more then flash without substance.)

-Unshra

Yeah I would definately have to agree with this.  Point and click is terribly annoying.  But just because I don't like it though doesn't mean that players shouldn't have the option.  WoW got big because they gave you a basic set up then let you do whatever you want.  That is a big deal that most people seem to miss when making interfaces.

---
    Bartle Test Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 26.67%, Socializer 66.67%