Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Official "We're Angry at SOE" thread

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Hi Guys,

It seems as though there has been quite a bit of SOE hate recently, and it has gotten to the point where it is taking over the forums for SOE games. As a result, I am creating this sticky where people can vent their frustrations on this subject.

Please do not continue to hijack other threads with this issue. Also, remember to have a look at our Rules of Conduct regarding what is ok to say and what is not.

Cheers,

Jon "Stradden" Wood, Community Manager

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• cumbomcumbom Member CommonPosts: 544
    I was thinking yesterday that it would be nice to have a place to send
    those who are considering playing an SOE game so that they can inform
    themselves on what they are getting into.

So I started a blog site called The Informed Gamer
    and I want to post a definitive record of what the users of SOE and SWG
    in particular have endured, and I am not only talking about gameplay
    but also customer service and technical support issues as well.

I
    don't like writing pure opinion, I would like to back it up with as
    much evidence as possible.  Any articles or even customer service
    tickets, stories, and what not would be appreciated, it can be posted
    here, pm'd, or later when I register an email address for this purpose
    I will include it here.

Also if anyone of you would like to contribute to the project please let me know.

SWG RIP
    moctodumegws
    Can't WAIT!

• RogueARogueA Member Posts: 20
    Really, not many MxO players hate/are angry at SOE. They took the game, fixed a ton of bugs, fixed our broken combat, and made the game overall a nicer place to play. Now, they're working on static content, especially for higher levels, which is desperatly needed.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457
    Agreed SOE is the best thing that ever happened to Matrix.
  • jackman1118jackman1118 Member Posts: 288

why is the community managers avatar pic thingy a elf? This is MXO, and most of us like SOE.

Go to the SWG forums and let them complain, were perfectly complacent here.

• Asylum4crzyAsylum4crzy Member Posts: 6
    I think SOE figure out what gamers hate: meddlesome behaviour from the devs.  Fixing bugs is one thing, but tinkering around with people's classes, crafts, and eventually their gameplay isn't the way to win people over.  Also, sacrificing the wants of current customers in an effort to bring in more is like, the worst way to go.  At least for the MO team, they're leaving well enough alone.  All i can say is that the SWG department in SOE needs to learn a lot from the MO AOE team. 
  • tjvoodootjvoodoo Member Posts: 293

Originally posted by baff

I went to MXO after the 1st CU hit SWG, once $OE took over from monolith i didnt care how much better they would make MXO all i know is "i learn from my mistakes".

If you like MXO now just wait they have done it to every other MMO they own and its just a matter of time before they do it to this.

• DeadlyJamesDeadlyJames Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by tjvoodoo

I went to MXO after the 1st CU hit SWG, once $OE took over from monolith i didnt care how much better they would make MXO all i know is "i learn from my mistakes".

If you like MXO now just wait they have done it to every other MMO they own and its just a matter of time before they do it to this.

Sorry buts thats Bull shit, they did it to SWG yes, I was pissed like everyone else but I also played EQ and EQ2 and MxO And The changes are for the better, yes they canged some ghapics but unlike SWG you can still choose The 3 classes and branch out from there. If you hate SOE for the SWG shit fine with me but dont ever say that they change everything around on all of their games to fuck with you. I own alot of their games and will defend SOE if I have too. (sorry for the curse words )
  • SiftSift Member Posts: 258
    Umm SOE has done wonders with MxO the game was bull before.  The Combat revision was badly needed and they have fixed bugs that were there for far to long.  This game is far from perfect but its better under SOE then Monilith.

• tjvoodootjvoodoo Member Posts: 293

Originally posted by DeadlyJames

Originally posted by tjvoodoo

Sorry buts thats Bull shit, they did it to SWG yes, I was pissed like everyone else but I also played EQ and EQ2 and MxO And The changes are for the better, yes they canged some ghapics but unlike SWG you can still choose The 3 classes and branch out from there. If you hate SOE for the SWG shit fine with me but dont ever say that they change everything around on all of their games to fuck with you. I own alot of their games and will defend SOE if I have too. (sorry for the curse words )

While i agree you have the option to defend $OE in whatever way you want - i however can learn from a mistake (Never ever trust $OE) the #1 reason i left MXO.

SWG pre-NGE was playable kind of like what MXO is now - just wait till they get gready and try for the mythical audience they can drag to MXO then you shall see what they are willing to sacrafice (perhaps even learn from it or maybe not) as with everthing the choice is yours.

• RogueARogueA Member Posts: 20
    One thing is, the NGE and the CU were implemented by SOE, but not ordered to be done by SOE. That was all LucasArts, the guys who call the shots with they game. They ordered it, SOE put it through. MxO is run by Warner Brothers, who speak directly to the Wachowski Brothers before ordering/reccomending any changes, as they have full creative liscence over the game. So, unless the Brothers want to make the game a hack and slash, it won't ever be one.

• MastatecMastatec Member Posts: 14
    well...as far as being pissed at SOE, the main guy that was in charge is getting the ax or got it already... i forget his name...
  • SkyJackalSkyJackal Member Posts: 390

I still find it odd how people draw comparisons between SWG and any other SOE game.

THEY ARE COMPLETELY UNRELATED. DIFFERENT DEV TEAMS. DIFFERENT RIGHTS OWNERS.

That said, no one can deny SOE saved MxO.

• †WaRGaMeS††WaRGaMeS† Member Posts: 69
    I agree 100% that SOE, although incompetent and unreliable, has helped MxO and has maintained EQ and EQ 2 very well, it was just their infamous "CU" that everyone was worried about when they took over MxO.  Personally I havent played MxO since the upgrade but I havent heard either positive noor negative comments from people I know who play on a daily basis.
  • WarmechhWarmechh Member Posts: 126

Hello, now, I see where people are getting at, and you cannot blame them. The things they went through in swg with that company was like a stephen king movie. I can see how they woudln't want to take another chance that it just might happen again. Its as if they hear the word "sony" their automatic mentality towards that company is already a negative one. I don't know how they are doing in the matrix online, but I hope those guys are doing a good job, because usually their first sign of fuck ups is they give double xp.

Well thats all I got to say :)

(BTW I need buddy trial, can anyone give me one please?)

• NoVu5NoVu5 Member Posts: 50

When I bought that game, our individual and group decisions had
    consequences to the story.  That's what people ahve been SCREAMING for
    in an MMO, and for 4 glorious months, we had it.  To the maximum.  And
    then, THAT company came along.

They fixed nothing.  The game has no purpose as it did at release.  No meaning, no consequence.  It's like walking around inside a beta in which the story hasn't started.  People point to Pandoras Box as a proof of positive direction from SOE and that was a FREAKING YEAR AGO!.  You jack in once a week, for what?   ONE mission that tells you "Go hear and get this.  Go there and find that.  Ooops, you were too late.  Well, go there and talk to them.  Well, now we'll let you know what we find out becuase it seems you may have uncovered something else."  It's the same thing every week!!!  And that's just ONE mission PER STINKING WEEK!  10 minutes, tops.  The other missions never, ever change.  There are only 5 types of missions you can take, that will always, always, always look the same.

Oh, and then there is the other lovely defense "Well, they put the archived missions in for the storyline content".  So ok, let me get this straight.  The "new" content, is simply the mission criticals from the PAST YEAR?!  That's the NEW content?

MxO convinced me.  If any game I love, any game I'm into, ever, every gets bought by SOE, I quit immediately.  I look forward to Star Trek Online more than any other, simply because of my love  of Star Trek.  But if it was announced that SOE was taking over development?  I'd never even look at their homepage.  I will never again touch one of their products.  When they took over MxO, I was apprehensive due to my problems with them over SWG but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.  (I had quit SWG a year previously over the entire Jedi thing).  But over the course of one year, it just got worse and worse and worse. Never again will I live in false hope with that horrid company.

And that (bites tongue) person that runs the bandwagon - Walrus, is the worst of the bunch.  I've never seen a dev so into himself, so self-promoting, so egotistical. 

Originally posted by SkyJackal

I still find it odd how people draw comparisons between SWG and any other SOE game.

They are completed related.  THE DEV TEAMS ARE RUN BY THE SAME MANAGEMENT, AND THOSE MANAGEMENT TEAMS ARE THE ONES THAT OUTLINE THE BUSINESS PLAN THAT THE DIFFERENT DEV TEAMS MUST FOLLOW

Work for a corporation someday, especially I.T., and you'll find out how these things work.

Your statement "no one can deny" - is violating one of the most basic tenants  of trying to have a logical thesis.  You are using fallicious statements and reasoning at their best.

From "The College Write, A guide to Thinking, Writing, and Researching by VanderMay, Meyer, Van Rys, Kemper and Sebranek"

Under Identifying Logical Fallicies on page 261,262

"Oversimplification:  This fallacy reduces complexity to simplicity.  Beware of phrases like "It's a simple question of."  Serious issues are rearely simple."

"Bandwagon Mentality: Someone implies that a claim cannot be true because a majority of people are oppsed to it, or it must be true because a majority support it.  (History shows that people in the minority have often had the better argument.)  At it's worst, such an appeal manipulates peoples desire to belong or be accepted"

"Appeal to Popular Sentiment: This fallacy consists of associating your position with something popularly loved"

Those are the 3 biggies that you just violated in your one assertion.

Originally posted by NoVu5

Originally posted by SkyJackal

They are completed related.  THE DEV TEAMS ARE RUN BY THE SAME MANAGEMENT, AND THOSE MANAGEMENT TEAMS ARE THE ONES THAT OUTLINE THE BUSINESS PLAN THAT THE DIFFERENT DEV TEAMS MUST FOLLOW

Work for a corporation someday, especially I.T., and you'll find out how these things work.

Your statement "no one can deny" - is violating one of the most basic tenants  of trying to have a logical thesis.  You are using fallicious statements and reasoning at their best.

From "The College Write, A guide to Thinking, Writing, and Researching by VanderMay, Meyer, Van Rys, Kemper and Sebranek"

Under Identifying Logical Fallicies on page 261

"Oversimplification:  This fallacy reduces complexity to simplicity.  Beware of phrases like "It's a simple question of."  Serious issues are rearely simple.

Apparently its a matter of opinion and the views of an individual. No ones absolutly right and no ones wrong either. But trying to get other ppl to put disbelief into the company is not ok either. You should let them play the game on their own and let THAT person decide who is right and who is wrong.

So when it comes down to it, its a matter of opinion. Thats all there is to it.

Very good point. 

However, I would point to this.  We try (there's a key word - try, But that'd get me started on another tirade of a different sort ) to live in a Free - Market society.  In such a world, money makes the decisions.  If your product truly does suck, it shows in loss of revenue.  That's how the proof lies in the pudding, so to speak.

The servers shrank from 9, to 3.  And the population continues to decrease.  They announced that they're thinking of creating one server called "The Matrix" back during C.R. 2.0.  So from 9, to 3, to possibly 1?  Add to that the specific (not general) criticisms about the game?  Shows a trend at the very least one would wish to at least be concerned about.

Would you happen to have a buddy trial key that you could pm me so that I could try this game out for myself and let me decide whats going on with it? I'd like to see first hand.
    I honestly would, but I quit the game, and pitched everything I owned that had SOE on it.

(Can you tell I'm a man of strong feelings?    )

Ya. Many many many people get so angry when stuff goes down and they just lost everything in their game. Thats why you must limit your time on it. Otherwise it turns you into a slave. It does things to you....lol
    For me, personally, (and this is just me) I was angry because I felt I had been lied to for so long.  That's what made me mad.  I honestly didn't spend a whole lot of time in the game (I never did make level 50, but leveling isn't important to me either).  I spent A LOT of time in beta, trying to make for a good game.  Heck, in beta I had about 3,000 posts, and they were posts of substance.  Once it hit release, I was there to play, not test.  So in the entire year that followed beta, I only had about 300 posts.  So I limited my time.

I just felt lied to over and over and over again.  I personally feel that some may have a) a short memory, and forget some of the things that were promised and were never delivered or just taken away, or b) just don't care.

• SkyJackalSkyJackal Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by NoVu5 
    They announced that they're thinking of creating one server called "The Matrix" back during C.R. 2.0.  So from 9, to 3, to possibly 1? 

Heh, now i know you're bullshitting. Been here since beta too, avid forum reader/user all the way through.  That was NEVER officially annouced or discussed.

*continues to read in disbelief at some of the stuff you're posting over here*

But like its been said, personal opinions, no one person can show you your own 'truth', figure out the lies yourself when you try the game out.

How many people you want me to pull in here that read the same thing.  That announcement is no more (It probably won't come to pass) but it WAS on the tables, we did read it.  People that are still playing the game like Soulfire read it.  Count Zero read it.  They're still playing the thing.  Laughingman read it.

Regardless, lets say it never existed.  Lets say I made the whole thing up.  It still went from 9 servers - to 3.  3. 

Uhm, how many servers does WoW have again?  (I don't play WoW, but they're a good example to cite, because they ARE successful.)  Successful games increase their servers, whereas unsuccessful games with a limited player base, have to decrease them.

Free Markets awards the winners (superior products) with the cash.

Free Markets punish the losers (inferior products) by causing limited, or loss in revenue.

I called gamestop. They told me they don't carry the matrix online game anymore. Well, now what? :( heh what other option is there other then to order it online?