Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest: Progression Server Riches

Laura Genender recently stepped into the world of EverQuest to try their progression server. We've hardly heard a word from her since! Nonetheless, she recently returned to pen this article on how she and her friends made a mint on the EQ Progression Server.

image We have been invaded. Despite the efforts of honest players and developers alike, no fragile ozone can contain a virtual world’s economy against real world buyers and sellers. Trying to retake those virtual universes that have been permeated by corporate pests is near impossible. Trying to protect worlds of the future is proving more fruitless and futile than we could ever expect. Systems are easier to break than they are to build – we’re always a step behind.

Even honest players who have never bought or sold are tainted by their brethren. All transactions are sullied, all markets flooded, all prices skewed. There is no escape from IGE and eBay.

More is available here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• MrPopovMrPopov Member Posts: 217

Thank you for the very entertaining read. I've never played EQ and have very little knowledge of the crafting gameplay but that didn't deter me from enjoying the article as a veteran EVE player.

Nothing can replace the awe and humility you get when you first start an MMOG, but sometimes starting fresh on a brand new server can have a unique experience all it's own. I wonder if EVE will ever bite the bullet and invest in a second shard...

Personally I hope CCP does not but it would be interesting to see what would happen.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    wow, that is quite an impressive, even inspiring story!   definitely two thumbs up!  

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• ValanceValance Member Posts: 189
    very interesting story! I also have little experience in EQ, but I greatly enjoyed reading that piece. You took a basic idea, crafting to get money, and turned it into an art form with an immense amount of detail. You really show how you can take a great game and make it even greater by setting personal and imaginative goals and reaching them.
  • iHatePantsiHatePants Member Posts: 33
    sorry, im still confused as to what exactly a progression server is? A server with strict rules and penalties on people caught using ebay and IGE?
  • TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078
    A progression server is a server that starts with no expansion content available.  Players must unlock the expansions by killing key raids or completeing key quests.

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

Originally posted by Felshina
    A progression server is a server that starts with no expansion content available.  Players must unlock the expansions by killing key raids or completeing key quests.

Yeah.

The reason the progression server didn't realy have any IGE'ing yet was because it was very new, so there haden't been a time to actualy farm the money to sell
  • syllvenwoodsyllvenwood Member Posts: 118
    well its nice to see one of IGE's best employees is busy trashing yet the economy of another server. GREAT JOB Laura!.
    Selling basic items for more plat than ANYTHING eversold for while i was playing post planes of power is unbelievable, and after having the balls to comment on how all these other places have ruined game economies, it almost makes me sick to say im a gamer too.....how far we have fallen.

• nexennexen Member Posts: 55

Great article!

And what bizarre coincidence that I bumped into you guys on Sleeper only hours after reading it!

Keep it up,

Coercium

________
    -nexen-

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
    Holy crap people still play EQ ?  Does this site ever do articles on things that are relevant ?

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• BuZeRBuZeR Member UncommonPosts: 77

Loved the read, brought back many memorys and makes me want to play it one last time... But i think i'll resist that urge:)

• karr1981karr1981 Member Posts: 59

As a person who plays crafter on every game, i have to say thats an awsome article

Thanks for takign the time out to write it

Karr1981

Originally posted by nexen
    Great article!

And what bizarre coincidence that I bumped into you guys on Sleeper only hours after reading it!

Keep it up,

Coercium

Hey Coercium!  Thank you very much for your comment, and for your company last night.  That was a great hunt - it's always awesome to meet good players in pickup group situations :)

See you in Norrath!

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

Originally posted by syllvenwood 
    GREAT JOB Laura!.
    Selling basic items for more plat than ANYTHING eversold for while i was playing post planes of power is unbelievable, and after having the balls to comment on how all these other places have ruined game economies, it almost makes me sick to say im a gamer too.....how far we have fallen.

The progression server is a very different world that the normal EQ servers.  Time and expansions make a huge difference in the availability of different types of gear, and prices are similiarly effected, in both directions.  For example, while Banded costs you more on the progression server than on a regular server, you can pick up a Fleeting Quiver for about 2k less on the Sleeper than you can on a normal server.

If I overpriced, I would not have a customer base.  I would rather make two sales at 200p than one sale at 300p.  I hope this clears things up :)

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• VallenarVallenar Member Posts: 124

Sounds like a great idea.

I sure hope this doesn't turn into one of those ideas that looks great on paper but horrible in application.

• TormentedToyTormentedToy Member Posts: 4

EQ was my very 1st online game. I was instantly hooked. I played up until I started Beta on EQ2. (hooked on that too)  Never thinking I was going back to EQ ~ but, I did and still do maintain the all access pass, just in case I wanted to feel the zing of nostalgia. Well your artical has done just that. I do believe this is a good time to check out the progression server.

Oh and not only is EQ altered by the likes of IGE, so is EQ2 ~ They are the moffia of on line gaming §

Originally posted by Vallenar

Sounds like a great idea.
    I sure hope this doesn't turn into one of those ideas that looks great on paper but horrible in application.

It's already been put into practice, Vallenar, and it works :)

Originally posted by TormentedToy

EQ was my very 1st online game. I was instantly hooked. I played up until I started Beta on EQ2. (hooked on that too)  Never thinking I was going back to EQ ~ but, I did and still do maintain the all access pass, just in case I wanted to feel the zing of nostalgia. Well your artical has done just that. I do believe this is a good time to check out the progression server.

Oh and not only is EQ altered by the likes of IGE, so is EQ2 ~ They are the moffia of on line gaming §

I'm glad you're coming back, TT.  Progression is super fun, and a lot of oldschool EQers seem to be coming back for it.

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• TrueSilverTrueSilver Member Posts: 28
    One of my favorite reads on mmorpg.com, hopefully they'll open up new progression servers eventually, then I'll play. I hated being so far behind on my regular server, had to play catch up 24/7 and you really don't get anywhere because everyones ahead of you and don't need to raid what you do...

• klannisklannis Member Posts: 4
    Just out of curiousity, is the name of Laura's tailor Taera? If so, this noob needs to learn more about the way an economy works before she posts on the stats of a game economy. If she is indeed the person I suspect, after selling me (Jorin 54 ranger) the fleeting quiver for 2200, she complained to me and every online member of my guild when she saw me offering to sell the quiver for more than I payed. Over an hour of whining and entreaties to sell the item back to her merely resulted in every member of my guild thinking her a total moron. Get it straight. The way economy works here is you sell something for a price you think is fair, then if I wish to sell for more, thats my business. Nuff said. If you are not the whiney brat that laughably thought it was ok to harrass my entire guild over something you should not have even mentioned to me alone...well, sorry.

No klannis, that makes you a stupid git. I'm going to laugh when she makes another one and sells it for 2200 and corners the market and you will only be able to sell yours for 2000... Retard.

Your assessment that I am a 'stupid git' is laughable. I do not understand how my ability to get an item for a lower price than its worth is stupid. Thanks for proving your inability to make sense.

• ChickpeaChickpea Member Posts: 1
    Fantastic story Laura. Brings back memories from years back when I was a wee human out of Freeport, working tailoring to make armor for my monk.  I miss old EQ, stories like that make me want to jump right back into it...

....Then posts from morons like the one a few posts back makes me happy I left..  Someone once wrote, "the internet is like a microwave for character, it makes you braver and stupider.."

-Pea

Originally posted by klannis
    Your assessment that I am a 'stupid git' is laughable. I do not understand how my ability to get an item for a lower price than its worth is stupid. Thanks for proving your inability to make sense.

Why in the world would you want to raise the price of an item? Resellers are so stupid...
    Ah...a disbeliever in capitalism. Bet your family is proud.

Originally posted by klannis
    Ah...a disbeliever in capitalism. Bet your family is proud.

No see klannis what you're doing makes no sense. It's like me buying a cheeseburger for a dollar and trying to sell it for a dollar fifty... while i'm still in mcdonalds. You aren't reaching any new clientele so you are just doing the economy a disservice.
    Not the same at all, but thanks for trying. For your analogy to work, Micky D's would have to have too low a supply for the demand...please go read a book or two before you attempt to argue a point that you have no idea about. Thanks