Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So many MMORPGs coming out.

(background first)

I'm a everquest addict, its been over a year since i have played eq but i still have the longing to get on and just play. I started playing everquest when i was like 15 years old i think and played until i joined the army and i can honestly say that it was the best game i have ever played i enjoyed every aspect of this game, sure i got pissed and cursed the "vision" but then again i kept coming back because (this is going to sound stupid) but for the feeling i got when i logged on it was kinda like anticipation becuase i KNEW i was going to have fun reguardless of what i did that night one everquest because i would have at least one friend trying to do something crazy i could tag along or i could just play around by myself.

Then when in the army i played a bit of Doac and SB and when i was playing those games i never got the anticipation or excitement i had from everquest... sure SB was fun and Doac is a great game but it just wasn't the same and i can't put my finger on it but it was just not as much fun, i think it might have had something do with the fact that i played everquest so long i knew the ins and outs i could run around and know exactly where i was i could show the newbies around and give directions because i had maps of the place in my mind but thats natural becuase basicly i was living a second life there and it was my home for 4 years.

Now after all that crap you just read i'm coming up to my real point.... with everquest 2 coming out i can't decide if i'm going to play that or if i'm going to lineage 2 both look like outstanding games its just a question of will i get that feeling when i play lineage 2 or will i be disappointed if i play everquest 2. which do you guys suggest please give reasons behind answers becuase i'm kinda behind on both games progress and just now starting to read up on them again.

Btw if you think i'm crazy because of this my bad.

Comments

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Noone can tell you since Everquest 2 wont be out for a long time. Just try both out. Lineage 2 will be out first so hust  give it a try.

• higgsbosonhiggsboson Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by Keegan

(background first)
    I'm a everquest addict, its been over a year since i have played eq but i still have the longing to get on and just play. I started playing everquest when i was like 15 years old i think and played until i joined the army and i can honestly say that it was the best game i have ever played i enjoyed every aspect of this game, sure i got pissed and cursed the "vision" but then again i kept coming back because (this is going to sound stupid) but for the feeling i got when i logged on it was kinda like anticipation becuase i KNEW i was going to have fun reguardless of what i did that night one everquest because i would have at least one friend trying to do something crazy i could tag along or i could just play around by myself.
    Then when in the army i played a bit of Doac and SB and when i was playing those games i never got the anticipation or excitement i had from everquest... sure SB was fun and Doac is a great game but it just wasn't the same and i can't put my finger on it but it was just not as much fun, i think it might have had something do with the fact that i played everquest so long i knew the ins and outs i could run around and know exactly where i was i could show the newbies around and give directions because i had maps of the place in my mind but thats natural becuase basicly i was living a second life there and it was my home for 4 years.
    Now after all that crap you just read i'm coming up to my real point.... with everquest 2 coming out i can't decide if i'm going to play that or if i'm going to lineage 2 both look like outstanding games its just a question of will i get that feeling when i play lineage 2 or will i be disappointed if i play everquest 2. which do you guys suggest please give reasons behind answers becuase i'm kinda behind on both games progress and just now starting to read up on them again.
    Btw if you think i'm crazy because of this my bad.

It all comes down to community. Since you've already played everquest for more than a month, you will surely know what I'm talking about.

I've only played everquest for 3 and half weeks just after it first came out and since then I never went back to the game. I stopped playing not because I was displeased with the game but rather because my study/work put severe time constraint during those days. So I will not judge a game based on ~3 weeks of play nor do I attempt to prejudge a game that is not yet released.

So my attempt to answer your question will be pretty one sided view. However, I can tell you this much.

As far as my impression goes, Lineage 2 probably has the most diverse fan base spanning over several nations. The game itself support at least 4 different languages and has very active community everywhere. If you visit one of their fan sites we will immediately get the impression that many are from very distinct representative culture. You will hear french/deutch guys going raid in korean server, Americans tagged up in Taiwanese, Japanese server, etc and who know what?

• BERTEYBERTEY Member Posts: 6

EQ was your first mmorpg i take it?

Theres nothing quite like the first one. Nothing will ever be the same as the experiance you had of both simultaniously discovering a new game, and a new genre at the same time. Everything will always be compared to your best memories of your first one, nomatter how or why you ended up leaveing it in the end.

My first mmorpg is just a big fuzzy memory *i started when i was 13 and played it for 3 years, im almost 20 now* but i can look back and i feel warm happyness. I have some immages in my mind of things and places in it, and i can still remember my way around.. Feels like so long ago, another lifetime even..  Wish i could do it all over again... image

Sometimes i wonder if it was worth it, being that it had to end, and now, every time i seriously start a new mmorpg, i always say to myself "This to will end one day, and all your time and effort, all the good times and bad times, all will be for nothing". You just gota realise it is the friends and experiances that you are doing it for, not the result. Two times now excludeing the first i have seriously played an mmorpg for extended time, to the point it was the only one on my mind and i couldnt see a future with out it, and both times i said to myself what i said up there, and both times it has come true. So now three games have come and gone, three lives, three whole worlds have passed away. And i am sad, but still i wait for the fourth...

Right now im waiting for wow, but im also waiting for ffxi to come out for ps2, as i hear that the PC version has wierd controlls and is kinda screwwy, being that the game was designed for ps2. I dont want to develop a bad oppinion about the game just becaus i first played it with a bad interface =x So i wait.

• KeeganKeegan Member Posts: 53

Yes Eq was my first mmorpg, and i'm glad i'm not the only one that still looks back and can draw maps from memory or other crazy stuff like that. Though i'm still sure that i became 2 attatched to a game. i think i am going to try L2 but will most likely go to EQ2 though i'm not sure if i will regret that dissuision, I have read a bit about both and most people seem to agree that L2 will be a great game and Alot of people HATE EQ2 but just as many are excited for it soooo i'm still undecided its just nuts.

i'm still undecided if i like the pvp thing and thats probly going to be the deciding factor.

• SutexSutex Member UncommonPosts: 150

I dont think i will enjoy Lineage2. I dont enjoy the thought of some people who just want to kill you for something to do. It pisses me off and i can do without it so why play a game i know will piss me off :)

I loved DAoC PvP till Mythic had to make things to stupid with-in the game. Overpower one thing nerf another where its just not worth playing.

EQ was my first also and all my RL friends first too, we had some crazy fun times which i wont look back on for many many reasons. I dont play now but i do get the feeling that i want to visit Norrath again..so yeah EQ2 is for me.

• KeeganKeegan Member Posts: 53

Yea, I'm pretty positive norrath is for me once again 2 but one of the things that worry me most is classes... i remeber when everquest first came out classes are totally different then they were when i left. Necros where gods rogues were gimps and stuff like that..  I really do not want to start one race being used to having all this power and then get nerfed and find myself a weak shadow of my former self.

Becuase I enjoyed my necro but i also enjoyed my monk sooo i'lll just have to decide when the game comes out i guess.

(BTW when are they saying its coming out)

• SutexSutex Member UncommonPosts: 150

Just play a char. that is fun to play, not one that you know is way more powerful than anyother, cos you know you will get nerf'ed and pretty hard.

No release date as yet, any you hear or see is a guess, only official word is sometime in 2004

• OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239

DAoC is the closest thing to EQ that I can think of :)

-OSC-

(Akiraosc)