Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArchLord: Interview with Dae Hwan Kim

Dae Hwan Kim is the Head of the ArchLord design team and today he drops in to answer a slew of questions from our own Garrett Fuller.

image MMORPG.com: How was the world of Chantra conceived? Can you tell us a little more about the rich mythos in the game?

Dae Hwan Kim: There was once a great magician who in his pursuit of magical truth made 5 Archons with help from others. These five archons granted him great power, however the spirits came to hate the power he had and so banished him to Chantra.

On Chantra the five archons exhibited even greater power than had previously been seen, as he began to manipulate that power the other inhabitants of Chantra came to both fear and worship him; so he became known as ArchLord. The mage soon grew weary of Chantra and decided to use the power of the archons to get him back to his former home. However, despite his greatness, he was unable to properly control the power of the archons and disappeared in an explosion of magical energy that spread the archons far and wide over the world of Chantra.

Thousands of years passed and the archons started to fade from memory of the common man. They were instead known only to an elite few, those who guarded them from those that wished to use their power for evil. Our heroes were often called upon to unite and fight off those that would seek to use the power of the archons for evil. Yet over time, the archons influence took hold of the great heroes and they turned on each other to try and acquire the power of the archons. The most brutal battle in this was the 100 days war, that saw Xian the Human hero pit an army against his former friend Ugrdrasil.

This great war signaled that once again the archons would be known by all. From that point forward the world saw many head out on the journey to acquire the archons and with them the power of the ArchLord.

You can read more here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• HitManJonHitManJon Member Posts: 19
    I was already over excited when this game was comming out, but now from the archlord lead desiengers mouth of what EXACTLY is in the game, I can't wait. I am looking forward to this game alot!!
  • ARZINARZIN Member Posts: 4
    yes ,i can´t wait  when this game coming put, realy like to play it

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

Archlord looks good.  I'm not sure if it's exactly my type of mmorpg, but I will give it a try just because I really like some of the ideas and I am impressed with the developers and their attitude.

I am not much of a competitor when it comes to mmorpgs, so I will likely be left in the dust when Archlord begins, but as long as there are some other things to enjoy in the game besides the race to become Archlord, I think it could be a fun mmorpg.

I plan on getting the pre-order, which I promised myself I would no longer due, but with the soundtrack, access to beta, and other little stuff, I think it is worth it.  I did it for RF Online and even for the beta and free month of play, it was worth it, although that game didn't turn out like I'd hoped in the end.

• icedteaicedtea Member Posts: 3
    Man i cant wait for the release, this game looks promising.
  • JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    I am really looking forward to this one, I am impressed with the interview and the attitude of the developers
    Can't wait to hear this soundtrack . I have already pre-ordered =)

-Manaia

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Geesus PREORDERED??we need less naive people that just hand over there money to developers,before they even know the product.TALK is cheap ,anyone can hype a game up.Codemasters is pathetic,i have dealt with them before.They do absolutely nothing once the game is launched.They will show up once a week [maybe]and launch some pathetic weak EVENt,then there gone again till next week.

The biggest factor ruining ALL MMO games nowadays is cheating.Either by supporting these power levelling sites or by buying game gold.Selling game gold totally ruins the DESIGN of the game by MEGA inflating the game economy.Botting enables the cheaters to reach high levels in the game very quickly and therefore can easily control castles or OWN PVP.IN the future i'd like to see this very problem addressed in an interview.

I'd like to see more sites ,like this one that might have a small influence on these developers,to take a VERY big stance against cheating ,by playing an active role.Every single game is policed ONLY by it's concerned and legit players.Then the cheaters or exploiters are reported ,then just maybe something is done.Why can't these developers back up there product by taking an active role to weed out cheaters?Answer is LAZINESS and if not for the players that complain,they wouldn't even care.All these games have GM's,get them doing something proactive,not reactive.

To this day unrealtournament/half life/quake and a few other games[mostly war/army type games] have taken an ongoing and active stance to give there games credibility,these MMO's need to get off there ass.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• synystrgatessynystrgates Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Wizardry

Geesus PREORDERED??we need less naive people that just hand over there money to developers,before they even know the product.TALK is cheap ,anyone can hype a game up.Codemasters is pathetic,i have dealt with them before.They do absolutely nothing once the game is launched.They will show up once a week [maybe]and launch some pathetic weak EVENt,then there gone again till next week.
    The biggest factor ruining ALL MMO games nowadays is cheating.Either by supporting these power levelling sites or by buying game gold.Selling game gold totally ruins the DESIGN of the game by MEGA inflating the game economy.Botting enables the cheaters to reach high levels in the game very quickly and therefore can easily control castles or OWN PVP.IN the future i'd like to see this very problem addressed in an interview.
    I'd like to see more sites ,like this one that might have a small influence on these developers,to take a VERY big stance against cheating ,by playing an active role.Every single game is policed ONLY by it's concerned and legit players.Then the cheaters or exploiters are reported ,then just maybe something is done.Why can't these developers back up there product by taking an active role to weed out cheaters?Answer is LAZINESS and if not for the players that complain,they wouldn't even care.All these games have GM's,get them doing something proactive,not reactive.
    To this day unrealtournament/half life/quake and a few other games[mostly war/army type games] have taken an ongoing and active stance to give there games credibility,these MMO's need to get off there ass.

I think you are on the wrong website mate.  This is called MMORPG.  Pretty sure most of the members on here don't want to hear your ranting about how much MMORPG games suck.  Most of us are here to look up more info on MMORPG games because we enjoy them.  gtfo? 

As far as this interview, I can not wait for this game to come out!  I'm tempted to pre order it but I'll wait to see if I get the beta with Fileplanet first.  If no go, then I will mo def pre order for the beta access.

They need to make more movies.  Those movies are the shiat!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
     pay before you have a clue???  get a clue! thanks for showing your stupidity.Hey i have an idea ,why don't you buy all the games?oh maybe some suck as you put it?DUDe it's called common sense..would you buy a car before a test drive?buy a house without looking at it?do some cars suck? do some houses suck?yes to all of above.simple words for you WAKE UP!

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• b3g0rb3g0r Member Posts: 32
    look mate no one is telling u to buy the game right ?
    this is the way it works
    If u dont wanna pay to play then w8 a few months and maybe they ll bring some trials for the game..
    Or else pre ordered itw8 till beta and HF like all of us
    Dont act like a 12years boy criyng bla bla bla etc...

• boomixboomix Member Posts: 59
    Two things:

one this game was made and designed by koreans, it looks, feels and talks like lineage2. I.E. Hard core grind fest especially with availability of XP stones thru higher subscription rate.

two codemasters have not launched notable title in awhile. They try but they should've picked up another game to support.

AL feels like it is going to be grind fest, where ranged weapons will be overpowered and where you will need 1 million of items to craft next weapon up. BUT I will save that judegement for after launch.

I would not preorder an mmo game, ffs I have never perordered a game period, too many duds thought me that lesson.

If you want notable game, I'd go with Warhammer online or even Vanguard instead of AL. Ever since I've read some input on this game and seen screenshots where you have lost xp upon death (which is fine punishment) I have been less then happy with it.

It remains to be seen after the launch, but once again preordering game like this is a bit suicidal.