Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where did you first hear about URU Live?

I'm curious how folks first heard about URU Live.  Since it was officially renewed on May 8 2006, there have been a number of press releases:
Before this, Uru Live had been in the beta testing phase (as Prologue) when it was cancelled, so very few knew about it then.

So - how did you find out about it?

Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can.

Comments

• AmieMarieAmieMarie Member Posts: 3

The first time I heard about Uru Live was in 2003, while I was reading an online lecture for a graphic design class. My instructor had posted a couple pics that must have been from the very early beta, because it was more than 6 months before the release of the game.

I heard about the return of Uru Live on the Myst Worlds website in May.

• CAGrayWolfCAGrayWolf Member Posts: 4

Initially I found out about UrU Live back in late 2002 ... or what was still called "Mudpie" as I recall. In January of 2003 I had registered for the closed beta, at the same time I registered on the MYSTcommunity.com forums and was accepted into the UrU Beta on 17 July 2003. Then registered for UrU Prologue on 13 November 2003 and was accepted on 17 November 2003 and played through till 09 February 2004 ... to the final moment or shut down.

Then on 06 August 2004 I heard about Until UrU and immediately bought a Kagi Key and have continued playing this off and on over the next year and a half. It was on 21 December 2005 that there was a stirring from the DRC, when Victor Laxman posted on the DRC Site forum what seemed like gibberish at the time, but cause enough excitement that we all knew something was up. The very fact that the forums had been moved from the Ubisoft servers and back to the control of Cyan was enough to cause even more excitement. Several months later we all heard the official news that UrU Live was being "awaken from it's deep slumber" with new engine and new distributor ... and new content. 

So that is my story. Have been following for some years, though not as long as other have.   

• NeoGholaNeoGhola Member Posts: 27

I was first introduced to Uru by a workmate in 2004, and he found it about a week after Live was first shut down.

Anyway, when I finally upgraded my computer, I got it myself early 2005, and spent MONTHS looking for PotS, before finally finding it in the most unlikely of places - a Harvey Norman (IE, a place that stocks mainly popular and new stuff that doesn't interest me in the slightest (Newest FPS' and stuff like that...)) Anyway, I knew about UU for a while, but was never going to but a key for it, because that was during my "I pay enough to buy the game, I'm not paying to play it as well." phase - which I am still firmly stuck in.

The only difference now is, after UU had it's free invitations to D'mala and I got into UU then, I am pleased to say that, what, $10 US a month? is a small price to pay for Uru Lives rebirth, and hopefully flourish. I spend enough time in UU now to warrant the monthly fee - especially how small it appears to be compared to other games that is too easy to run afoul of <shudder> hackers and PKs. (I always wanted to be a PKK if I got into the online gaming thing in a big way, but never did. Besides, my honesty and ethics mean that I wont ever use a hack/trainer and therefore will never have the strength to take on  PK...)

Now I ramble!

HOORAY FOR URU LIVE! THE BEST DANGED MULTI PLAYER GAME AROUND!

• Te'anaTe'ana Member Posts: 7
    My story is much the same as CAGrayWolf's except that I joined the closed beta in April of 2003.
  • DeviceMDDeviceMD Member Posts: 12
    A little after Riven was release I heard of a project by Cyan called Mudpie. I had no idea what it was but it had a funny name... and the FAQ I found it on said it wasn't another Myst game, so I ignored it. A few years later I happened to find Uru: Ages Beyond Myst on a website and that's where I learned of Uru Live.

It was such a strange thing at first.

www.urulive.com

• RTRebuilderRTRebuilder Member Posts: 13
    I guess I should post my story!  

I read a glowing review of Uru: ABM in the Washington Post in the fall of 2003.  It had mentioned that a "live" version was in the works.  At the time, I was just interested in the single-player puzzle solving aspects of it, and I didn't know whether multiple people solving the same puzzles would be fun.  I put the game on my holiday wish (which was subsequently ignored by my family). 

Finally, after two Christmases and a birthday with no Uru, I went out and bought it myself in March 2005 - at that time, it became URU: Complete Chronicles.  Once I was hooked and knee deep in researching the DRC (for the "To D'ni" part of the game), I learned about Prologue and what might have been.

And now, URU lives again!

Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can.

• where did I hear about it? I have know about myst and Uru live sense like forever. I have been waiting for this day sense they first released uru. When I found out ubisoft shelfed the idea of live I was very sad. But now that gametap has stepped in to bring it back to life I an crazy happy about it. I believe that uru live will be the bast non-violent internet game to date... wait I thing it wll be the first of it kind...meaning nothing will be better then it. I even personal believe it will be better then some violent online games...not all just some. I am waiting with baited breath for urulive to make it's come back.

• ireenquenchireenquench Member Posts: 8

Believe it or not, I was made aware into it through an ad (yes, an ad) on Amazon in fall 2003.

I was logged in and judging from my previous buys, they offer me stuff ... That time they offered me Uru ABM, and I was interested before I even knew it offered an open beta (the so called Prologue) to an online game.

• I've been a member of the Myst community since about 2004, so I missed Prolouge and the fall of Live, but the day after it was released, I was poking my head around,(I forget where) and I came accross something mentioning Live. By then, I had attempted to join Until Uru (D'mala chews me up, spits me out. I'm on Slackers), and knew of the old Live, and so I signed up for the closed beta on the UruLive site.

• ilmgilmg Member Posts: 9
    In the back of the Uru ABM box.

• SeaOtterSeaOtter Member Posts: 32
    this upcoming URU Live?

actually down in the cavern.  I'm new to the community and all of the things you can learn, it's like drinking from a firehose.  not in a bad way at all -- in that you are only limited by how deeply you want to go.  And apparently, I wanted to go deeply. 

• shayes8shayes8 Member Posts: 11
    I first herd about the game when looking through the cd booklet for URU, about 2 years ago i believe? I never really got into URU, after one day of playing i eventually forgot about it and URU live.  Today I came to this site to look up info on other MMO's after finally getting bored with EQ2 and WoW, and rediscovered URU live. Im surprised to hear that it was canceled before people could really get into it. Ive also learned about UU through links and such through this site. I am very excited for the rerelease of URU live, as i am reading up alot about the game + reinstalling URU. 

• scholesscholes Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Was in the beta before they decided not to go ahead with the project.

Scholes
  • Sudre_Sudre_ Member Posts: 6
      I origonally heard about Uru-live, part one-the unplug, off the back of the box when I bought the game.
    For the second up-coming release, I heard about that from Toria. She sent me an e-mail through a forum and that got me back onto UU looking for more info.

-Sudre from Amber Horizons hood on the D'mala shard

• RDDurantRDDurant Member Posts: 6
    The first time around, I got it from the Cyan site that I kept reading hoping for more info about this mysterious project. This time around, from the survey sent out about the D'mala shard - I hadn't played UU for a while. I'd kind of given up on it as dead - glad it's not!