Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Conversation with Mark Jacobs (teaser)

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Mark Jacobs is our guest tomorrow for the Game/On Interview. The Co-Founder of Mythic Entertainment discusses his company's acquisition by Electronic Arts and what it means to Warhammer, Dark Age of Camelot and even Imperator. In advance of that, we are releasing this brief article.

image “In the short term, really very little [will change]”, Jacobs told me. “Mythic is still going to be based in Virginia, we’re staying intact as a company, we’re going to be adding staff to work on the various projects.”

He added that the deal will help the company penetrate new markets and provide better logistical support around the world.

The biggest concern for fans of Mythic is that the deal will somehow undermine Warhammer Online. Before the news of EA purchasing Mythic broke, Warhammer Online was far and a away the most hyped game on MMORPG.com with an average rating of 7.7/10. Today, they’re tied with Age of Conan at 7.2. Obviously, the news was not met with joy on all fronts.

“Nothing is going to change,” Mark said of Warhammer. “It’s going to be the game that Mythic wanted to make, that GW wanted us to make and if anything it’s probably going to be a better game.”

More can be found here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

A good interview, well put by Jacobs.

Alot of MMOG Gamers are afraid of large franchises. Jacobs words seem to give hope, I hope for Gamings sake that Jacobs is right, that this will benefit the company and eventually, our gaming experience. I would hate to see another classic MMOG developer hit the gutter.

DAoC needs some help, its on the decline. If this means the classic game is going to improve, im all for it!

---

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326
    I want to see EA Mythic use these now vast resources to create a RvR PvP MMO with FPS combat!  The Warhammer 40k IP—or even Imperator—would be perfect for this.
  • VixenHeartVixenHeart Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by raykor
    I want to see EA Mythic use these now vast resources to create a RvR PvP MMO with FPS combat!  The Warhammer 40k IP—or even Imperator—would be perfect for this.

But not every one is 15 years old, lives in their mother's basement and likes "twitch" based games when they are all hoped up on Mountain Dew.

I'm older, and if there was a game like that, I wouldn't buy it, and I know a lot of people wouldn't either.  Stick with what works.

If you want FPS, go play CS:S.

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

Originally posted by VixenHeart

But not every one is 15 years old, lives in their mother's basement and likes "twitch" based games when they are all hoped up on Mountain Dew.
    I'm older, and if there was a game like that, I wouldn't buy it, and I know a lot of people wouldn't either.  Stick with what works.

Having a bad day?  Help!
  • Synyster777Synyster777 Member Posts: 301

haha yer well I never was hyped about this game and I don't see how a MMO FPS RvR game would attract 15 year olds I think they would rather play a warhammer fantasy game where them and there little gay toys can become warriors and be cool yer warhammer is for 15 year old kids and under imo so I think this game may attract alot

EDIT: sorry for all the people who care but I didn't use punctuation I guess I am going to hell

Lend a hand and break the chains of regularity you lean so closely upon

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Originally posted by Synyster777
    haha yer well I never was hyped about this game and I don't see how a MMO FPS RvR game would attract 15 year olds I think they would rather play a warhammer fantasy game where them and there little gay toys can become warriors and be cool yer warhammer is for 15 year old kids and under imo so I think this game may attract alot

Punctuation Is Your Friend

EDIT: as for the real topic, I kind of hope Imperator comes back. I like the Rome mixed with Sci-Fi aspect, it really attracted me to the game before it got canned ::::21::

• CapnKirkCapnKirk Member Posts: 1

Hey Mark, why don't you make an up to date version of ALIENS ONLINE?

Do we really need more Fantasy games? I mean for crying out loud, I and a bunch of others would pay 10 bucs a month to play the ORIGINAL Aliens Online!

Do it man, it's a gold mine waiting to happen.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?BBMGH

• NikePortugalNikePortugal Member Posts: 21

Or.. MAYBE.. EA will get Mythic to make them EARTH & BEYOND 2!!

wooooooooooooooot!!

... please ?

• VixenHeartVixenHeart Member Posts: 458

Having a bad day?  Help!

No.

I'm being honest here.  Not everyone is 15 years old and enjoys a "twitch" based game.  Why does that make me have a bad day?

Can't I express myself on a FORUM?  Oh wait.  I forget that the 15 year old trolls are living under the bridge and they are ready to attack whenever someone says something.  *Smacks forehead*  Duh...

• bangaroobangaroo Member Posts: 11

DUCK & COVER .....I don't trust this guy! EA said the same thing when they bought westwood's Earth & Beyond!. Nuthing will change! Then they gave everyone in the game 9 months notice saying they were closing the game! Later I found out they were moving their resources over to a CRAPTASTIC Game called the Sims!

Don't trust Suits that don't play games!

Don't trust Corprate Stooges they don't listen to what the ppl want just what a focus group of Momies,Grannys and non gamers think !

PFFFFFT I will not Support EA games

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

That brings up an interesting point. Does anyoen have any links for what was said by EA when they acquired Westwood and as a result Earth and Beyond?

Did they basicly give the same song and dance they are giving us now that EA has bought Mythic?

Cause we all know what EA did to Earth and Beyond and how they sat on the Command and Conquer franchise and then released C&C Generals which is just a C&C game in name only, nothing else. Mythic and DAoC will be treated the same way. Already we've had one of the higher ups leaving after this announcement. Chase are it could be bad timing the two happen at the same time but it paints a strange light on the situation. Then there is the announcement that Mythic staff will be helping with the new Ultima Online project. If the UO project isn't a complete engine revamp then it's nothing but wasted time and work since it will be same as always and it's be close to 10 years and EA has never once upgraded UO or it's as I understand it horrible coding.

DAoC will be closed soon. I have no doubt of that I'm afraid. All this talk about nothing will change is just lies and changes have already started to happen. I was seriously considering going back to DAoC cause I loved my time there. I had the game installed and updated. Then news of the merger came. So I waited, knowing my feelings toward EA. Then word of the UO project help and then the exective producer leaving all after the merger announcement. Nope, no going back for me now. :(

• bitsbyterbitsbyter Member Posts: 1
    We'll see

Originally posted by Lepidus

Mark Jacobs is our guest tomorrow for the Game/On Interview. The Co-Founder of Mythic Entertainment discusses his company's acquisition by Electronic Arts and what it means to Warhammer, Dark Age of Camelot and even Imperator. In advance of that, we are releasing this brief article.

“In the short term, really very little [will change]”, Jacobs told me.

Key werds here are IN THE SHORT TERM !!! They gave Earth & Beyond 9 months! What is Short term amount to before they close the doors on mythic???
    Also mentioned  they would remain Virgina bassed !!! Same werds were said to Westwood! till they shut down EnB and moved them! ROTFL EA if I was a corperate STOOGE you'd be my HERO! But I'm not so I'm still giving EA 1/2 a peace sign and 2 rasberry's
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Having a bad day?  Help!

No.

I'm being honest here.  Not everyone is 15 years old and enjoys a "twitch" based game.  Why does that make me have a bad day?

Can't I express myself on a FORUM?  Oh wait.  I forget that the 15 year old trolls are living under the bridge and they are ready to attack whenever someone says something.  *Smacks forehead*  Duh...

Hmmm, how does enjoying twitch combat equate to being 15 years old? I'm 30, and personally cannot wait for games like Fallen Earth and The Chronicle to be released. Bring on something new and fresh! I've done nothing but sandwich combat for the past decade. Bring on the MMOFPS!

Joined - July 2004

• MzilnMziln Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by remyburke
    Hmmm, how does enjoying twitch combat equate to being 15 years old? I'm 30, and personally cannot wait for games like Fallen Earth and The Chronicle to be released. Bring on something new and fresh! I've done nothing but sandwich combat for the past decade. Bring on the MMOFPS!

Ahhh the voice of the 30 year old youth  

You have so much to look forward to that we older gamers have/are experiencing. After 30 your reaction time starts to slow down, your vission starts to go, and your body starts cashing the checks you wrote as a youngster.

I still hold out hope for WAR but then I have always been prone to optimism.

• vendrisvendris Member Posts: 246

Originally posted by Mziln

Originally posted by remyburke

Ahhh the voice of the 30 year old youth  

You have so much to look forward to that we older gamers have/are experiencing. After 30 your reaction time starts to slow down, your vission starts to go, and your body starts cashing the checks you wrote as a youngster.

I still hold out hope for WAR but then I have always been prone to optimism.

This is bad.  I'm already 35, and I wrote a -lot- of checks ;)
  • ZingsterZingster Member Posts: 13

Great Podcast -

As stated before and that should hold confirmation to anyone with worries... GW has total control.

EA is playing it smart and Mythic will produce what could be the Best MMO in 2007 =)

nAH

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Originally posted by bangaroo

DUCK & COVER .....I don't trust this guy! EA said the same thing when they bought westwood's Earth & Beyond!. Nuthing will change! Then they gave everyone in the game 9 months notice saying they were closing the game! Later I found out they were moving their resources over to a CRAPTASTIC Game called the Sims!
    Don't trust Corprate Stooges they don't listen to what the ppl want just what a focus group of Momies,Grannys and non gamers think !

Other points aside, to be fair, Mark wrote the original designs for Dark Age of Camelot, Imperator and Warhammer, so while he may be carry a corporate title, he is by no means unfamiliar with gaming.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• ShaikuraShaikura Member Posts: 61

This is so true. I thought i was having a flashback. I wish i could find a link to the Westwood letter. They said the same thing back then. And  for people to believe that EA won't change anything , you have to be nuts or very young. No company gives another company money for nothing ever. It may look great at first. But after 6 months don't be surprised when things start changing. Anyone that played Earth and Beyond has been here before.
  • TheProvokerTheProvoker Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Shaikura

This is so true. I thought i was having a flashback. I wish i could find a link to the Westwood letter. They said the same thing back then. And  for people to believe that EA won't change anything , you have to be nuts or very young. No company gives another company money for nothing ever. It may look great at first. But after 6 months don't be surprised when things start changing. Anyone that played Earth and Beyond has been here before.

Proof please, otherwise all the things your saying are full of BS, thank you.
  • NihilisNihilis Member Posts: 119

Having a bad day?  Help!

No.

Express yourself on a forum?  You essentially insulted him and told him to buzz off for enjoying a certain genre of game.  I don't think he's the one at fault here.  Besides I'm not a teenager and I too enjoy some twitch games so please broaden your horizons and try not to insult people on forums due to their tastes.

"Time.." I chuckled "I hold no secret to time, though it's mystery puzzles me. Deny it's existence and lie to myself not with hopes of a quickened pace."

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

Reading your artical helped me come to hold a little bit of  hope for WAR how ever i will not hold my breath for the game either.. im hoping that EA doesnt mess up what looks and sounds like a promising game for the future. Tis sad that your hype went down but  you had to expect it i mean common they jacked starwars so cant wait to try out the game in 07

• arkasiarkasi Member Posts: 22
    The only thing what matters is the money, the bigger the company the more it get's connected with "the money" if you produce [a game] on "high level" you will get under pressure - if the game misses the expectations some heads have to roll - the same will happen to Mythic ... sooner or later. Everybody knows the mechanisms and Mythic is no exception, EA just accelerates the "ageing process" which will trigger "final death" some time. Of course there might be a bad taste in some people's mouth because of the Westwood case, but still EA didn't buy Mythic to kill it in a short to mid term, they expect to gain more money from it. However, hopefully not as a playing card in a stock exchange roulette! 

• ZingsterZingster Member Posts: 13

A company with a broad experience in the market will help not only PC sales for WAR but for consoles as well if they decide to go at it in the console world. Sure, you will have a bunch of bad critics for only seeing things from the past but experience is something you can never forget. I hope EA not only learns from their mistakes as so many people in the community always bringing back "the past" they will also learn from big popular current company's such as blizzard and SoE and what trash those companies are doing to their game NOW-a days. You know, it does not matter anymore what companies are good and bad because in all honesty, name me 1 company that has done it perfect. From the Lore crush of the Grand Blizzard, to the combat failure implementation and re-modification of SoE, to the total game change of UO with EA on board, No game company is perfect.... 

I will keep supporting Mythic and EA, always will. Some of you will be trying this game out...unless you are happy elsewhere in 2007 then that is all that really matters right? Eventually when you are not happy in 2007 wherever it is you are at, you will either go elsewhere or come to WAR and see things for yourself and then, only then would you know exactly if WAR is really all it is meant to be. Sometimes I wonder what makes today's MMO's so special because really, everything out right now pretty much sucks in my opinion. Also seeing the tragic changes these big companies do to MMO's for the sake of "balance" is too funny. 2007 is a fresh start for almost everyone... let's see who will have the last laugh hehe.

nAH

Originally posted by Zingster

A company with a broad experience in the market will help not only PC sales for WAR but for consoles as well if they decide to go at it in the console world. Sure, you will have a bunch of bad critics for only seeing things from the past but experience is something you can never forget.

THOES WHO FORGET THE PAST ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT!