Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP

is their going tobe pvp in this myst world?
LoL  might as well say it

Comments

• Twe3kTwe3k Member Posts: 5

Nope, Uru is a non violent game, well more or less.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    No combat equals no PVP. Ever heard of A Tale in the Desert? URU has similar principles, the main focus is exploration, puzzle solving, and especially the community. You could challange fellow players to mini-games of sorts, but really, you just explore worlds with other players.

• UrieUrie Member Posts: 5
    Technically, there's some violent backstory (oppression of an entire race, wars, assassinations and the like) but the gameplay itself is centered around nonviolent activities. 
  • NeoGholaNeoGhola Member Posts: 27

Although, I did hear an interesting rumour this afternoon...

Apparently, there may be a villain released in Uru Live. It came up in the Town Hall meeting earlier today.

• MariMari Member Posts: 5
    That is the best part of this game, not only is there no violence, but you can't even die!
  • Marten!Marten! Member Posts: 20
    There will be PVP just as soon as (1) we get vehicles, and (2) we figure out how to mount the airgun from Teledahn on one of those vehicles.

But seriously, here are some comments from one of Cyan's developers, which covers about as close as you'll find PVP in Uru:

Josh Staub at Town Hall evening meeting, 06/26/06:

We want to try and come up with some ages that are fun no
    matter how many times you play it...an example of this might be an age
    that is still interesting visually, and perhaps has some puzzle
    elements, but is also one that can encourage friendly competition of
    sorts...I'm NOT talking about leveling or anything like that, just
    simply providing players with something fun to do, that they may want
    to challenge each other with.  For example, we
    would love to provide a vehicle in an age at some point...I'm not
    saying we can do that NOW, but we would like to...well, you provide a
    couple of vehicles in an age, and guess what? people are going to want
    to race. :) Again, I'm not saying you HAVE to race in this age, but it
    is something that people WILL do because it's there.

Interesting. . .

I've often thought of inviting someone to my Relto in UU for a game of soccer - IE, pushing a rock around on the dock, using the support posts at either end as goals.
    However, the beams across the dock make it difficult to get the 'ball' over into a goal square...

• RTRebuilderRTRebuilder Member Posts: 13

Although combat won't be included (I'm sure), there are other modes of competition available as mentioned by Josh.  Also, they are currently working on a "game room" that may contain additional amusements like the auto-heek game.  See the age list at the link below:

http://www.drcsite.org/ages/ages.shtml

Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can.

Hey, cool, thanks for that link, Rebuilder.
  • DeviceMDDeviceMD Member Posts: 12
    When the Age of Kahlo is released there will be some kind of coompetition involving riding on giant insects or something. 

www.urulive.com

• what a question to ask if it will be PVP. Has any of the myst games had weapons use to kill you. I don't think it possible to die in any of the myst games. But if we do get those vehicles we wont need the gun from teledahn all we will have to do is run people over. hehehe. URU Live: distruction is coming, find a way, make a home.

• RTRebuilderRTRebuilder Member Posts: 13
    On a related note, the Maintainer Wall in Until Uru on the D'Mala shard has undergone some major fixes, so that people can now play the wall as it was intended.  I happened upon this post from GreyDragon on the D'ni Guild forums that had quietly announced these fixes, among other things.

Can't wait to try out the wall game again!

Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can.

• I've heard on UruObsession and UruLive forums that there may eventually be a combat element (but in context, context being Maintainer training or something of that sort)

Originally posted by justhetigger
    what a question to ask if it will be PVP. Has any of the myst games had weapons use to kill you. I don't think it possible to die in any of the myst games. But if we do get those vehicles we wont need the gun from teledahn all we will have to do is run people over. hehehe. URU Live: distruction is coming, find a way, make a home.

Ummm.... There are many ways to die in the Myst series.

In Myst, it's not technically dying, but you get trapped inside the Books.

In Riven, if you don't trick Gehn, he shoots you. If you use the D'ni Book in Tay, the Book gets burned. If you use the D'ni Book on Riven, Gehn gets one of his lackies to use it, and you pop out and he shoots you. If you don't trap gehn when you open the fissure, he shoots you AND Atrus.

In Exile, if you Link to Tomahna before you save Releeshahn and trap Saavedro, he Links through after you and clubs you, Atrus and Catherine to death (And probably little Yeesha too).

In Revelation, I've only found one death scene so far - if you release Yeesha before you save her, she shoots you and Achernar.

End of Ages doesn't have a death scene, but being trapped on a dead Myst Island is almost as bad...

So, justhetigger, there are plenty of death scenes in the Myst series - what I've placed here may not be the only examples, either, there is possibly a dozen more scenes I've not found yet.

• DeviceMDDeviceMD Member Posts: 12
    Ghola!! What ever happened to spoiler tags!!!!!????

www.urulive.com

• ilmgilmg Member Posts: 9
    Could the vilain be Esher? Or Calam's murderer?

• Oh... that sounds interesting.

I always thought it strange that CyanWorlds never captialized on the murder of Calam.

• SeaOtterSeaOtter Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by NeoGhola

Interesting. . .

I've often thought of inviting someone to my Relto in UU for a game of soccer - IE, pushing a rock around on the dock, using the support posts at either end as goals.
    However, the beams across the dock make it difficult to get the 'ball' over into a goal square...

(laughing)

never thought of that -- I always get rid of my logs and boulders.

SPOILER

your question of a villain is an interesting one.  MYST 3's villain was my favorite of them all, but Ogden-Stiers' character in 5 was very well done and the actors playing the brothers in 4 were also very good.

how would (in URU Live when we're all running around) we all have the same experience with the villains (and thereby gain the same information)

triggered by stages?  (just thinking about this as I'm typing, a bad habit)

I imagine that Uru Live will be entirely dynamic, and as I would imagine in this sense, the villain may be played by a real person - possibly a Cyan employee - who will do villainous deeds.

The upside to this is the story will be forever changing, and no one will be able to help out with someone elses game like UU's puzzles and Markers.

The downsides are, only those online will be able to interact with the villain, and as such it will be almost exclusive to the US, while we in other time zones will be limited to updates and recaps.

Oh, and I appologise for the lack of Spoiler tags, I will keep it in mind for next time.

• Marten!Marten! Member Posts: 20
    Er, I don't believe this forum has spoiler tags...

I don't remember exactly when, but one of the Cyantists has mentioned
    that the way things were handled in Prologue (with a live actors) is
    not necessarily the vision intended for Live.  There's a serious issue
    with scaleability.  Once you start adding multiple servers, if you want
    a live event to occur on all of those servers, it's better to script it
    than to try to use actors.  Even Blizzard has shied away from live
    control of events in World of Warcraft because the issue is a daunting
    one.  (They have enough problems with the servers crashing for scripted
    events, anyway.)

• RickmanRickman Member Posts: 5

You can still type spoiler in caps.

And about Esher or Calam's murdered being the villian...

Myst 5 SPOILER SPOILER SPOILERS

Esher was taken by the Bahro... I don't think they set him free. And The murderer was killed. Remember, EOA will take place before Live.