Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URU Live!

:D I cannot believe that the game destined to be the best MMOG out there is finally coming back! I can't wait to recieve that Beta notice...

I'm so excited! What are other peoples' thoughts?

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by zibredlektab
    ... What are other peoples' thoughts? ...  

URU who?
  • zibredlektabzibredlektab Member Posts: 5

Uru Live! 

Please tell me you're kidding! Have you ever heard of Myst? It's only the first successful computer game ever, and the second best selling computer game of the twentieth century! Uru Live is like Myst Online, kinda. It's my life.

Here ya go:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/overView/gameID/261

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117
    This is going to be one boring MMO...
  • moptopRPGmoptopRPG Member Posts: 49

Myst has to be one of the worst games ever made lol Dump any thought of likeing myst and move on to better more advanced games.  Like mario cart  on n64 i think that kills myst by a land slid...accualy i know it does.

Peace Out.

~*(MMOs)*~
    ATD3, ACEO, AoC, AO, AC, CO, COH, COV, DAC, DR, DDO, EO, EVE, EQ, EQ2, Flyff, GW, HG:L, HO, KO, L2, LotRO, MS, MUo, PotBS, PS, RagO, RF, ROSEo, Ryzom, SB, SWG, TLA, TMO, V:SoH, WO:AoR, WOW

Just because it's slightly intellectual and has no guns doesn't mean it won't be a good game. It's my favorite game, since there is actually a purpose other than blowing away anything u see with an AK...

The game is going to be awesome. Really. Trust me.

Just because it's slightly intellectual and has no guns doesn't mean it won't be a good game. It's my favorite game, since there is actually a purpose other than blowing away anything u see with an AK...

The game is going to be awesome. Really. Trust me.

It might be pretty and explorable but overall it's going to be boring.
    well explain your thinking. why will it be boring?

• KyorutoKyoruto Member Posts: 794
    Expect most of the chat to consist of "How do I get this valuve to move?" Or "I turned the yellow light green, and this opened, but I can't get further. What do I do?"

Siehst du mich
    Erkennst du mich
    Ganz tief in meinem Herz
    ist noch ein Platz f?r dich
    Ich suche dich
    Ich sehne mich
    nach dem was ich geliebt hab
    doch ich find es nicht

well explain your thinking. why will it be boring?

It's Myst! Myst was boring!

Now explain why it will be good.

You know bob... I took that little what FF character are you test... I umm... I got yuffie... I its off... >.>

Siehst du mich
    Erkennst du mich
    Ganz tief in meinem Herz
    Ich suche dich
    Ich sehne mich
    doch ich find es nicht

Originally posted by Kyoruto
    You know bob... I took that little what FF character are you test... I umm... I got yuffie... I its off... >.>

Don't feel bad. My brother got Ares.

Expect most of the chat to consist of "How do I get this valuve to move?" Or "I turned the yellow light green, and this opened, but I can't get further. What do I do?"

You haven't played Until Uru (the current online installation of Myst). It's almost nothing like that. Sure, there are n00bs who ask things like that, but then most of us will jump at the chance to help n00bs. :P

The game will be fun because it is myst. the story [unlike other games, actually exists and] is amazing, the graphics are stunning (not half life 2 stunning, but stunning), and being the fanboy I am of course it will be fun.

a new level monthly, smaller areas practically weekly, a huge community/fanbase, puzzles, graphics...plus i know how to hack it. what's not to like?
    I blame my bad spelling on the morning stupids. I'm totally not all that congnatsant when I wake up.

Siehst du mich
    Erkennst du mich
    Ganz tief in meinem Herz
    Ich suche dich
    Ich sehne mich
    doch ich find es nicht

You haven't played Until Uru (the current online installation of Myst). It's almost nothing like that. Sure, there are n00bs who ask things like that, but then most of us will jump at the chance to help n00bs. :P

The game will be fun because it is myst. the story [unlike other games, actually exists and] is amazing, the graphics are stunning (not half life 2 stunning, but stunning), and being the fanboy I am of course it will be fun.

a new level monthly, smaller areas practically weekly, a huge community/fanbase, puzzles, graphics...plus i know how to hack it. what's not to like?

I'm sorry but the Myst series isn't exactly the most exciting...
    The story and graphics don't make a game fun.
    Oh, so I guess cause you a fanboy it'll alter everyone else's minds to make it more fun.

Edited for spelling

• Username!Username! Member Posts: 165
    I am not a fanboy, don't even own one of the MYSTs(I have played the demo tho). But it sounds like an interesting idea if pulled off right.

ok then don't play the game. i'm a fanboy, those playing the game will be fanboys and girls, as well as those whom we have convinced to play.

I don't think I can win you over, I'm just arguing my point. It's my favorite game, you're a myst h8r like every other gun-loving flashy-light-loving son-of-a-bitch and i dont care if im blocked from this forum for saying that.

OMG MYST SUX AND UR A FAG CUZ U LIEK IT OMGOMGOMG is like the most common phrase i hear on other forums...jeez

Alright!

I don't hate Myst. I just think it's boring. Go back and quote me where I said I hated it.

You say it like those games suck.

• Ashtar.Ashtar. Member Posts: 2

I will say Zib is passionate about the game :) I'm also a Myst/Uru fan but realize the game is not for everyone. What I would like to see is for Cyan/Turner to offer some kind of free trial to let all of you guys into it just to give it a shot. If after playing the game for a bit you still think it's boring, then fine, at least you will be basing your opinion on facts. But pre-judging the game before it's released is not giving it a fair shot either. Believe me, Uru is nothing like the original Myst except in some of the basic concepts. Hope to see some of you in the cavern :)

Ashtar 

• dadguydadguy Member Posts: 9

I loved the URU series, and really enjoyed the Myst/Riven/Exile/Myst IV/Myst V games!  The older ones were ahead of their time.  The new ones are going 3D which is the best way to explore. 

No doubt that everyone has their own favorite style of games.  URU Live is my style!

Thanks, Cyan!

Dadguy

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

Uru is a different kind of MMO, appealing to a different kind of player/community. Period.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• WhitterWhitter Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by BobCrazyton

I'm sorry but thats just one silly comment.  Graphics are just a superfical but story is make makes a game fun without some form of story, whether is scripted like in most games now adays or user created like The Sims, the game is not engaging in anway.

Without the story the first Half-Life game would not be worth playing as the game would just decend into a plain FPS, the same can be said for F.E.A.R with it constant repeating of the same enviroments.  But with the add stories these games are raised to a higher level.

This extends to all genres, games from platforms such as Psychonauts to even Sonic become simple childrens games without the story.  Whats Final Fantasy without the story, 2 days gameplay for nothing.

And the game play style and interface have hugh barings on a game even more than a story take the last two adventure games from Lucasarts.  Monkey Island 4 and Grim Fandango both ahd great storys but the changes in game style (removing mouse control) made it become tedious to navigate and control.

Most online games become stagnant because the game enviroments and story dont change.  New content in in most MMOs just get latched on.  Take World of Warcraft and its upcoming expansion for instance.  With Warcraft there is layers upon layers of carefully craft lore with has been used to create and number of great games but place within the World of Warcraft enviroment it becomes alittle stale as the world does not change to reflect the changes on the story and the places actions.  But this is just due to the way the gameplay has been designed by Blizzard.  Even the developers have notice problems with their world not being dynamic, as with the coming patch which adds The Scurge Invasion, they had trouble working out how to deal with the invasion that the players can prevent but still leaving the new undead instance floating above the ground.

Now this is not a dig at MMOs as I play WoW all the time and love it.  Other than the grinding for items and cash, which is a thing I hate doing in any game as I have better things to do with my time.  But WoW brings all this lore into the mix which is do dense with story and leaves me wanting more.

Now with Uru we have a story that has been descriped in five diffrent Myst games all hint and giving bits of imformation about a culture called D'ni.  Uru allows players to explore this culture in great detail.  The story starts by play investigate then evolves into player involved story lines, even to the point where players actions can effect an outcome.  Even the enviroments change to reflect these outcomes and story changes.

It is new, diffrent and "outside the box" (I hate that term) of current MMO design styles.

Now I've been writing this while playing WoW between C'thun attempts so please excuss any spelling misstakes, grammer boo boos and general nonsense.

• eyedeeyede Member Posts: 2
    OK I won't lie to anyone, I'm a Myst Fan *cough* Uruobsession.com *cough* but Uru is something else, its not myst, its not its not any of those games down the right hand side of the screen, its something else.

Personally I did not look forward to uru, but after getting in on the ill fated late beta test I can only say I was blown away. Uru is developed by a company which is driven by the desire to break new ground, and try new things, they invested all there assets into uru, and more; it is this devotion and vision that is making uru so unique. One of the major facts about Uru is YOU are YOU, you make the decisions, you help shape the story, the developers will continue to open the universe to an ever increasing size around the thoughts and actions of what is happening in the virtual worlds.

An example is the fact that in game protests actually opened areas of the game in the prologue that were closed. Indeed in the prologue factions were developing where players were siding passionately with the Yeesha character, or the DRC organisation. There is talk that there will be the opportunity of players to join guilds in the game, if this is true or not, if this is good or not is unknown. Don't get me wrong there won't be any shoot outs (kind of kills the You are you theme) but the future and content is developed by all of us who play it, how we play, what we decide, and how we react, so at the end of the day, you get out of it what you put in.

All I would ask is don't condemn it before you can experience it, you may be surprised.

-Lynx-

>>>www.EyeDE.co.uk<<<|>>>EyeDE's DeviantART<<<
    Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and the truth.

• ToriauruToriauru Member Posts: 18
    Okay admission right up front here:  I've played all the Myst games, numerous times.  I've played Uru too, many times.  Why do I go back to it time and again?  Because it's a persistant environment that is fresh, and interesting and amazing to experience.  Why do we all love it so much?  Because of the care and time and the effort the company Cyan has taken to make it.  What other game company has their fans chip in for a pizza party for them?  Also allowing a poster in this thread Ashtar to film it all for us the fans to see?  What other game company persists with their vision of an amazing world within a world where we will get new content.

Fans young and old will flock to this game.  I do wish that for the 14 day free trial of GameTap, you do try Uru once.  You will be hooked.  I promise.  I swear to that, in fact.  If you're not, well, that's rather sad, I'd say.  Many have naysayed because they've not experienced it.  Few who have experienced have walked away saying "I hate this game!"

I don't like FPS's and won't play them.  Dreamfall is great, and those other "head" games.  C'est la vie.  We're all different.

Long live Uru Live!

URU lives! Mystralia date set for July 29/30 http://www.mystralia.com for details.

• adegkidadegkid Member Posts: 4
    I'm really excited that Uru Live is coming back.  Sure, World of Warcraft is nice.  But I hate killing a boss and then watching it respawn a few minutes later.  With Uru, you can impact the story and the world.  If hundreds of explorers run across a rickety bridge, it might break.  If explorers gather to protest the DRC's actions, they do something about it.  The world is alive and dynamic.  Things grow and change.  And that's going to change the MMO market.  To D'ni!

Cheers,
    - Deg -

www.abstractpenguin.com

• Marten!Marten! Member Posts: 20

*laughs*.  And this is worse than Barrens chat in World of Warcraft, how?

Most of the chat in any MMO is either drivel, or.... no, I take that back.  ALL of the chat in an MMO is drivel.  Any useful discussion, such as raid co-ordination, takes place over Teamspeak or Ventrillo because most people can't type 80 words per minute and if you try to run a serious game through the chat channel, your group will die.

It's Myst! Myst was boring!

Myst certainly was not for everyone.  Yet it appealed to more people worldwide than any computer game previously.  Its sales record was beaten only recently by The Sims.

Some people find "whodunnit" books boring.  Some people are die-hard sci-fi fans but can't stand fantasy, or vice versa.  We all have different tastes.  As the saying goes:  "You're unique... just like everybody else."  Did I have a point here?  Nah, not really, though I find it odd that if you find Myst so boring that you feel so compelled to add your opinion to the discussion here. :)  Does it bug you that other people don't find it boring?

Originally posted by Whitter

I'm sorry but thats just one silly comment.  Graphics are just a
    superfical but story is make makes a game fun without some form of
    story, whether is scripted like in most games now adays or user created
    like The Sims, the game is not engaging in anway.

Actually, going to rain on the Myst fanboy parade here and point out that BobCrazyton is correct.  Not only is he correct, but he's correct in two distinct ways.

First off, story and graphics don't guarantee a game will be fun if the game is unable to overcome other "issues."  The interface to the game could be bad, so that it is virtually unplayable.  (Too many games have fallen into this category for me to name just one.)  Or the story, despite richness and detail, could be told from the perspective of a protagonist that most people just cannot identify with.  (Example: Traffic Department 2192.)

Second, you can have a great game without either.  Pac-Man had no story, and the graphics were never much to write home about, but it remains a classic.  And there plenty of modern "classics" with great gameplay where the emphasis is on quick thinking, such as Bejeweled.

It really depends upon the genre you're looking for.  Myst and Uru, even the MMO version, fall squarely into the "Adenture" game category, an area that has been shrinking in the onslaught of PvP strategy and first-person games.  There are a lot of people these days who want heavy action in their games... something to get their blood moving and really absorb their attention.  It isn't "mindless" action either... dungeon raiding at a high level takes some serious co-ordination.  It has a different appeal than the adventure games, where the fun is in puzzling out mysteries.

While I've enjoyed playing World of Warcraft, I'm looking forward to Uru's more relaxed pace.  I know there won't be pressure that I *have* to be on at 6pm to be with my guild to go storm Teledahn.  If events happen while I'm gone, people won't get angry with me for missing them.  I can catch up when I return.  And when I say "catch up",  I won't be scrambling to get levels or equipment so I'm on par with my group; I'll be talking and learning what they've learned, and sharing in the discovery of it all.

And best of all:  No Barrens Chat. ;)

• moptopRPGmoptopRPG Member Posts: 49

Are you retarted...seriously... there is time for intelect and there is a time for guns, swords and action...video games are for the latter of the two.  Good luck with your game lol.

Peace Out

~*(MMOs)*~
    ATD3, ACEO, AoC, AO, AC, CO, COH, COV, DAC, DR, DDO, EO, EVE, EQ, EQ2, Flyff, GW, HG:L, HO, KO, L2, LotRO, MS, MUo, PotBS, PS, RagO, RF, ROSEo, Ryzom, SB, SWG, TLA, TMO, V:SoH, WO:AoR, WOW