Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: GamesWorkshop Q&A

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Erik Mogensen, the Licensing Manager for GamesWorkshop, answers a few of our questions about Warhammer Online. WAR is currently the top hyped game on our list. Along with the interview are four exclusive screenshots of the title.

image MMORPG.com: Games Workshop has created a rich history with Warhammer, what kind of direction did you give Mythic in terms of translating it into an MMO?

Erik Mogensen: We didn’t so much give them a direction, as discuss each other’s opinions on how to marry the Warhammer IP with MMO gameplay. It was apparent very quickly that we agreed on the most fundamental concept – that in order to succeed, WAR needed to be both a great MMO and a great use of the Warhammer IP. Both companies agree that WAR needs to forge its own identity as a Warhammer game, rather than try to replicate the look and feel of the tabletop game, or the pen and paper RPG, or the novels we publish, etc. It sounds very simple, but I think for both of us it was a great first step to realize that we had a shared vision.

You can read more and see the images here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• WoodenDummyWoodenDummy Member Posts: 208

I love the skull on the shoulder of that Orc in the pic, and what makes it even cooler is that it's probably added as part of the armour customization feature.

Great report and post.  :)

• t0astiet0astie Member Posts: 2
    yeah the skull is cool, the spike on his other shoulder clipping through the shield isnt though :P

• ultimatomultimatom Member UncommonPosts: 46

A Warhammer 40K MMORPG...

My very own dream 

• VentoVento Member Posts: 8
    pls remember to give players all the opportunities to customize chars! (colours, gadgets, hemblems, etc)
  • EQTarbosEQTarbos Member Posts: 130
    Their was a Question that has not yet came up yet.

the question is for the dark elf race
    Ive played daoc since it came out. ive also played and seen warhammer.

Mythic entertainment has a family feel for daoc such as the armor for female classes
    but in warhammer the darkelf female armor is slim to none i was wondering if they where going to keep it this way or is mythic going to come to the dark side :) in daoc all the female toons have 0 skimpy armor and when no armor is on at all the toons are still fully dressed. im not saying they should be nude or anything but in all the other games the woman and men  toons are down to their underwear.'''

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Originally posted by EQTarbos

Mythic entertainment has a family feel for daoc such as the armor for female classes
    but in warhammer the darkelf female armor is slim to none i was wondering if they where going to keep it this way or is mythic going to come to the dark side :) in daoc all the female toons have 0 skimpy armor and when no armor is on at all the toons are still fully dressed. im not saying they should be nude or anything but in all the other games the woman and men  toons are down to their underwear.'''

Did you catch their E3 trailer? Obviously, it was a cinematic, but I'd expect it is safe to assume that the artistic vision at the least will match the final product. It showed off a female Dark Elf.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Originally posted by t0astie
    yeah the skull is cool, the spike on his other shoulder clipping through the shield isnt though :P

No but I'm not worried when they are not even into beta yet.

• PrenPren Member Posts: 9
    Well, the dwarf's shield is picted with a beer-barrel, so that part they already got quite correct at the least 

In any case the dev-team clearly has good eye for detail, looking at all the art-work they released so far. Then what is left to worry about, is if they can make the game challenging enough, and not in the WoW-type of challenge, where the biggest challenge is if you can stand the wide range of idiots long enough to get your gear from the raid-dungeons, or play 24/7 grindfests to get remotely close to a decent rank for some decent gear pvp-wise.

Taking in mind that DaoC comes from the same studio, I have high hopes that WH will be great though :)

Originally posted by Pren
    ...where the biggest challenge is if you can stand the wide range of idiots long enough to get your gear from the raid-dungeons, or play 24/7 grindfests to get remotely close to a decent rank for some decent gear pvp-wise.

One of the best parts of WAR is that it isn't gear based so we won't be grinding for gear.

• xPaladinxPaladin Member UncommonPosts: 741
    Wow. Tantalizing bit about WAR's magic. fap fap fap, imo.

That's a heck of a claim to live up to, hope they can do it justice.

-- xpaladin

[MMOz]
    AC1/2, AO, DAoC, EQ1/2, SoR, SWG, UO, WAR, WoW

• VampiresVampires Member Posts: 75
     Being able to play chaos, i hope they get it right.

• DemonOvrlordDemonOvrlord Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by Lepidus

Originally posted by EQTarbos

Did you catch their E3 trailer? Obviously, it was a cinematic, but I'd expect it is safe to assume that the artistic vision at the least will match the final product. It showed off a female Dark Elf.

I think they did a really good job turning the miniatures of Witch Elves into a cinematic myself  :)

http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkelves/miniature-gallery/9/

I can't wait to see what they do with the Empire and Chaos. 

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

I think they have to make at least 2 more races.... a complete customization of all characters....and a battle system like Ninja Gaiden movements, so u can have some skill at fighting not just the character skill, block and attack anytime u want....this way the game will be so fucking awsome

Originally posted by Darkor_hXc

..and a battle system like Ninja Gaiden movements

I doubt that will be the case.

Double post.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Don't know, but this title seems to be better and better. For those wondering about game play, I see mention constantly of RvR. RvR term actually came from mythics game Dark Age Of Camelot. If they are basing play off of this concept, I can tell you, it is far the best pvp to date in any game. So much so I am back playing daoc yet again. It is the one title that in all my years of playing MMO's that keeps me coming back. Sieges, walls that crumble from your catapults etc, there is nothing better!

If they keep with this concept, (which is seems is the case) I see nothing but a great future for this title. Finally it is just FANTASTIC to see GW working closely with the team. It is obviously this is a daily routine and being so close to their own IP will make this title what everyone would expected it to be. Don't take me wrong thou, not everyone will be happy, but if you ever played DAOC you probably will have a good concept and feel of what Warhammer will be. I don't doubt thou, they take this even further, as we have read they are talking about owning actual land and capturing leaders. Hehe I am giddy in anticipation of this game.

For the Enclave!

haha that leaked out... *takes off the mask* Xnode!

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• toriatoria Member Posts: 75
    way to go leaving only 3 programmers for daoc... and moving them all to your new game.. way to run a company... really....

Playing daoc and loving it totally..
    have Played
    Eq,Eq2,WoW,Coh,Cov,
    and other..
    which i have forgotten..

• HuztlaManHuztlaMan Member Posts: 4
    This game looks incredible, I only wish it was already out.
    Meanwhile i wait for Darkfall!
    I dont see any topics discussing PVP on WARHAMMER though...Any thoughts?
  • EldaElda Member Posts: 343
    QUESTION:
    Will there be mounted combat, would be very awesome (I allready fear chaos knights)

this is by far the best mmo coming out in a while

I really can't wait!

• ThogrimThogrim Member Posts: 27
    It seems like GW and Mythic have a good idea of what a warhammer mmo should be, and they've already covered some of the character customazation, but what about facial/body customazation. The one thing that allot of mmo companies ignore is giving people the ability to edit the specific facial features of the character, as well as there body mass, height, skin tone ect. One thing I liked, and still like about SWG (rip) was the fact that you could recognize a character by thier facial features, as well as there names. Since I've already made up my mind about subscribing to this game,  I just hope that when I do start this game some time next year, I at least wont be running into my twin on a regular basis.
  • xxGodofWarxxxxGodofWarxx Member Posts: 20

Keep it up!! I cant wait to buy your guys game. You guys are doing a wonderful job. and i hope it stays that way!

Joe

Mess wit the best,
    Die like the rest